Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
He seemed to have a lot of mental trauma and stuff, especially how he mentioned his dad. For that reason I have a little bit of sympathy, but really... On the last Cardomain page he was having some trouble with the fuel mixture and getting the engine running right. I guess the heads that were on his motor combined with it being the low compression version ended up making a low compression underpowered build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't think it's gonnna happen.
Check out this thread for sigtrap's response:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3145666

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Radio-Controlled posted:

Hello AI.

I've got a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe that I want to do a brake job on. I've actually never done a brake job but you folks here seem to breeze through them like they are nothing, so I want to give it a shot and save on the labor.

I need a shop manual and the 2 brands I've seen are Haynes, and Chilton. Are there any others I should be aware of? Of these 2 which would you choose? There seems to be some AI hate for Haynes here so I was leaning towards the Chilton manual, but I would like AI to help me decide.

Thanks!

Actually I've preferred Haynes for most, but really each one is different. Some of the Chilton books cover many models in one book and aren't very specific. Haynes can do the same thing though.

The ultimate is usually the factory service manual, which is pricey but maybe check ebay?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Grimster posted:

Quick boat question, definitely not thread worthy.

So I got a free boat (a free boat is the most expensive thing next to a free kitten or dog). I drained the gas (32 gallons worth my lawnmower will be burning this nasty poo poo for years) replaced all the fuel lines and filters.

I pump the little bulb thing and it never gets "hard" and after an hour of loving around I finally pulled the motor side tube out of the bulb, squeezed it, put my finger on the end, and let it expand, did that 3 time and I had lots of gas ready to go. Hooked it back up and the motor fired right up.

So bad bulb thing right? Get another one or might I be dealing with some other problem?

In case nobody here knows the answer maybe you could look at / post in this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3145153

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I am curious to know, what kind of car is that you have? I haven't heard of many cars having such a small wheel anymore, especially with such a large sidewall. It may benefit you to upgrade to a larger wheel, as tires with such large sidewall usually are kind of soft, and ride quality / handling may be improved. Also, I bet your selection would be much better. I wonder if there's a site that might explain this better than I can. Maybe start by taking a look at http://www.tirerack.com. As I recall, there are articles and guides there, and you can shop for your car too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

astrollinthepork posted:

It's a beater Fiero, I'd love to get some larger wheels but I'm looking at things from an economic point of view. The rest of the car looks fairly lovely so I don't know how dumb newer looking wheels would look anyway. I like the wheels anyway, factory aluminum that I've never seen on any other Pontiac.

The thing is the only tire I can find in that size is a trailer tire. Yikes. I wonder if there might be a similar size that will fit?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Using this tool you can figure out how much speedo error you will have by equipping a different size:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Also, I bet there is a Fiero forum somewhere that has people with the same issue and what they've tried.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

royallthefourth posted:

When you walk, wear flip flops. When you're in the car, drive barefoot. :c00l:

I don't like driving barefoot. I can't heel-toe.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ether Drunk posted:

Thanks. I thought I had taken care of that with the replacement line from the pump to the carb. I neglected the line from the tank to the pump however. Turns out in runs within a half inch of the new headers the previous owner had installed. Runs great now.

Post some pics in the post your ride thread or something :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

staticpat posted:

I'm trying to identify a car I saw the other day while driving through Virginia.

It was a ute style vehicle like what you would see in Australia. That is it had the front end of a car but a truck bed in the back. It was not an El Camino or a Brat. I would guess it was an American car from the 70s or 80s. The front had 2 different headlights on each side, recessed kind of like an 84ish mustang or camaro.

Any guesses?

Dodge Rampage?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Rampage

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I always stick with whatever's in the manual. Crappy wires have a tendency to fall apart on me.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm guessing sunroof (MS3s don't have sunroofs?), but I hope he actually means convertible top.

If that's the case I would not get an aftermarket sunroof. It's cutting into the roof, and they have a tendency to leak after a while. The company may offer a lifetime warranty but if they go out of business it's worthless.

Stunt Rock posted:

EDIT - Also, shot in the dark since I've had a hard time finding good, consistent answers via Google: The rear wiper doesn't work either. Fuse is also fine. Anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it? I know enough to do basic poo poo but pulling everything apart and rewiring it is beyond my skill level.
Does the blade spin on its own or is it still locked into place?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I ask because sometimes the nut or whatever will come undone and it just spins freely. If you're feeling up to it, I'd pick up a Haynes manual or something similar and look up taking off the tailgate panels. Then you could use a voltmeter and see if power is even getting to the wires. If it is, then the motor is probably bad. If not, there's something else wrong.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Commodore 64 posted:

Well I was trying to say a sunroof, but a convertible top; now that gives me an idea... :v:

Nah, my first car was a 88 Lebaron convertible and as much as I still love it and miss it, I don't think I'll get a convertible until I can afford two cars. Until then I just want a small bit of the sky.

I'm just worried I'll cause severe damage.

CharlesM posted:

If that's the case I would not get an aftermarket sunroof. It's cutting into the roof, and they have a tendency to leak after a while. The company may offer a lifetime warranty but if they go out of business it's worthless.
When I looked into this in 2003 this is the conclusion I came up with.
Edit: As anecdotal evidence I know of a Mazdaspeed Protege that kind of twisted the chassis after a high-speed jump (yes, that's right) and it had an aftermarket sunroof. The owner said the sunroof may have made a difference. Really though, jumping a car over a bump at 120mph might do that anyway.

As for the radio, I don't know, sorry.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Also make sure you're placing them right. On my Golf, I placed a stand maybe 6 inches farther along the seam on the bottom than the arrow indicated in the lovely bad diagram in my Haynes, and now I have a bent-over spot along that seam.

gently caress this picture:

"Front similar" my rear end.

And this is the result:

That's driver side, forward. It seems I can safely place a jackstand a few inches more to the left (forward), but right where I placed it, the seam wasn't strong enough to support one-quarter of the weight of the car (ish).

Which brings me to a question for AI: what should I do (if anything) about this damage? It seems to me like it'd be really fuckin' expensive to get fixed, so if it's not serious, I'd rather just ignore it. But if its going to allow rust to compromise the frame in some way, I guess I've got to do something? (I live in sunny CA, so, rust isn't normally a big issue)

That location is for the factory emergency jack only, not a regular floor jack, or for placing jackstands. It's the pinch weld, which will bend unless you use that special jack. In my experience, it doesn't really matter too much that it's bent, that's not uncommon.

The haynes manual should have a location for jackstands and jack location in it, although the picture may be ambiguous also.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 16, 2009

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

decypher posted:

My GF's 96 Honda Civic has got a sticky gas pedal. You have to press very hard and when it finally gives its way too much gas and it lurches forward. I prefer finesse. Would some WD-40 help? Where should I apply it? If not, what can I do to get the touch back in the pedal?

I don't know the entire answer, but if you try to do it yourself I would use some kind of proper lubricant like lithium grease, not WD-40. You should check the throttle plate to see if it moves freely before trying the cable.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's just a resistor that hooks up to the Intake Air Temperature Sensor. It changes the reading so the air reads colder and the car injects more fuel.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

Is there any real difference between cheap spark plugs and expensive ones? I see that you can apparently spend anywhere from $1.99/plug to $49.99/plug. It does not seem quite right that there would actually be an order of magnitude and a half of difference between what amounts to a pair of electrodes.

Just use what came with the car (part numbers are usually in the manual). The ones with extra electrodes are a gimmick.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK here's a silly one. I am usually good at math but for some reason am having a brain fart.
If I have a 33mpg car and a 25mpg car, how many miles would I have to drive on the 33mpg one before it saves 15 gallons of gas vs the 25mpg?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Thanks Kimbo. 1546.875. Wow.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dakana posted:

The center console of my 2001 Nissan Maxima is broken; I bought the car from my dad, and at some point, a plastic part inside snapped in two pieces, and smaller parts fragmented off of it and were lost. It doesn't look like I can superglue it back together, especially since I'm missing some of the smaller pieces. The good news is that the damage is isolated to one continuous plastic piece that I was able to remove from the console entirely. If I had a new part, the console would be fixed.

Is this something I can go to a salvage / junk yard and find? Or do they not do these sorts of things?

Yes that is where to go. Depending on how the yards around you are, 2001 may be too new to find in a self-service yard (you go to the yard and find the car and part you want yourself and remove it). Otherwise you just have to find a place that stocks Nissan parts. Sometimes there are specialty yards, or they're just broken up into Japanese and domestic, etc. Post where you live, maybe somebody here knows the area and can direct you.
edit: There is also http://car-part.com but a random trim part is probably not something you'll find in the dropdown box but maybe try the interior trim/misc option and call the places that show up near you.

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Also, for a random question, does anyone know offhand how solid the 2011 Mazada 3 hatch is? I know someone people hate the new front end, but I'm more worried about reliability. I have a dealer offering me $17999, and that seems like a drat good deal. My GTI search had to be given up after I was warned off VWs by a former mechanic/family friend (of sorts) for bad [problems emerging around 100K miles.

I have a 2006 with 50,000 miles and it's been very good. The biggest and really only major problem has been a stuck evap purge valve but that was fixed easily.
Also check out the MZR (no Subarus allowed) thread. MZR is a code for a Mazda engine.
edit +link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3039682

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 30, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sipher posted:

Got my first speeding ticket yesterday. I just wish I had actually deserved it.

I was pulling out of a gas station on a remote highway, and watched a CHP go by. I pulled out about 3-400 yards behind him and went 56-57mph in a 55 zone for 4 miles following him, keeping the same distance. Far enough away that he was able to pull off the road and the dust settled before I saw him. He then pulls out behind me and pulls me over. He gave me a ticket for doing 76 in a 55. Now you think I followed you for FOUR MILES, knowing you were CHP, and went 21 mph over the speed limit? I was too stunned to argue. I'm from out of town and feel that probably contributed to the ticket.

What can I do about this? Its a my story vs his story, all I have going for me is that I knowingly followed him for 4 miles, so why would I speed? Would a judge be likely to listen to that?

Thanks

Check out the A.I. resource thread "stickied" at the top of the forum.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Faster Blaster posted:

This was a few years ago: I was driving around in my 2006 Mazda 3s hatch with all 5 seats occupied, and me being 6'4", my legs were crammed into the dash around the steering wheel. I managed to hit the key with my right knee and rotate it from "ON" to "ACC." I had no idea this happened at the time, and the car continued to drive like normal, but I definitely noticed the electronic power steering suddenly cutting off. I realized what I had done when I turned the car off and noticed it only clicked once when the key turned.
My questions are these: How did my engine not die when turned off? And is that bad for the car? I assume it's bad for the power steering motor to suddenly lose power and rely on muscle only, but since it's not pumping fluid, I don't know.

I really doubt you turned the key or anything happened here. You drove without the power steering, yet it drove like normal? The steering indicator light did not illuminate? Regardless there was a recall on 2007-2009 vehicles for the power steering pump. If you actually have a 2007 and not a 2006 have that checked out.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

NancyPants posted:

Is it common for a brand new/rebuilt alternator to be broken right out of the box? It had these symptoms from day one. I thought I was buying a brand new alternator, and now I'm starting to suspect I may have gotten a rebuild or something.

If you bought it from AutoZone or similar, yes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Doc Faustus posted:

2) The "is the door closed?" circuitry. My car is convinced that at least one door is perpetually ajar. As a result, the dome light is more or less perpetually on. If the key is in the ignition but the car is not on, then they "don't forget your keys" alarm beeps eternally, since it thinks a door is open. I couldn't see a "door is ajar" circuit labeled on the fuse box diagrams, otherwise I would have just pulled the fuse out and been done with it. Is this the sort of thing I can fix myself with common tools and some enthusiasm, or would I have to pay someone?

This is a really common problem on the Taurus. I'm sure there is an answer on Google for you, but I think it involves lubricating the hinges or something, as the door sensor is hidden in there somewhere.

edit: In the latches:
http://www.fordforums.com/f138/98-taurus-lx-door-ajar-156744/
WD-40 is not my favorite, I usually use something like lithium grease for this, but I'm sure some more folks can answer if they want.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ahhh you made me curious about Urea Grease so I did a cursory Google search on it.
http://htarchive.org/showthread.php?t=946353
There is one guy on there that says Mobil 1 worked for him, it sounds like the thing to avoid is lithium grease for that application.

Of course, it's just a link to another discussion board so I don't know the veracity of the information, but it sounds like you'll survive with the Mobil 1, at least for a few days :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PaulFistInYourFace posted:

All you can do is try.

You need to keep in mind that everything we used at the dealership wasn't available to the average Joe who walked into an auto parts store or the Walmart automotive department or whatever. We used industrial strength stuff.

I don't remember the name of the odour remover. It came in a small blue bottle, similar in size to the tiny shampoo bottles you get in a hotel room. Our main supply rep was from Red Stallion, but we had a few others and I'm unsure who we actually got it from. I wish I could tell you more.

ZEP is a pretty big supplier for that stuff.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Javid posted:

I'm pretty sure I killed my mirror adjuster switch. (This thing: http://bit.ly/hYeyeX ) I can't find one anywhere other than from that ebay shop, and for reasons unrelated to this I refuse to use paypal. It seems to me like I should be able to rig up a usable replacement for it with a few random switches from radio shack, but I'm not sure exactly how the circuit works. I know there are sites with wiring diagrams for stereos and poo poo, would there be a place to dig one for this up? The Haynes manual really doesn't cover this kind of piddly crap.

There is no junkyard around? I'm pretty sure I've seen that same switch in quite a few other Fords.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I had some problems shifting mine too. Changing the transaxle fluid to a Redline synthetic fluid helped a lot.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mazda actually has a service interval of 30,000 miles for the fluid.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Skyssx posted:

Rangers have had aluminum hoods since '98. I think its mostly "give a gently caress".

No, cost is a big reason. Subaru explicitly stopped using aluminum hoods and suspension components to save costs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
TBI means throttle body injection

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The manufacturer cannot deny warranty claims based on the fact you do oil changes yourself, unless you do it wrong somehow or don't keep documentation like receipts that you actually did it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Scientist posted:

That's good to know about the warranties. I've never once owned a car that was under a warranty of any kind, I just didn't want to recommend anyone do anything that could potentially jeopardize theirs. So it is not in fact the case that failing to maintain the strict requirements for regular scheduled maintenance (by taking it in to the dealer at the mandated intervals) would void a warranty? Cool.

You still need to maintain the service intervals as recommended by the manufacturer, but the service can be done by anyone, including yourself, as long as it did not actually contribute to the problem your warranty is covering. It is the Magnusson Moss act

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

7 years is a generation and a half in automotive terms. The Civic should be safer.
A (overly dramatic) test showing a new car vs a Volvo newer than 1988:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY#t=1m50s

Supposedly the Volvo does not have a motor installed

CornHolio posted:

In my experience, there is usually a high-side switch; a low-side switch; and sometimes a freeze-up thermostat (in case the evaporator coil freezes). Usually the compressor won't come back on without a significant delay due to the danger inherent in short-cycling the compressor.

Granted, I don't have experience with some of the newer vehicles, but everything I have ever worked with has been set up as above: A/C turns the compressor on, with cutoff switches in case there is a problem. If the compressor were to turn off for more than a few seconds, it'd be noticeable. In every car I've seen the compressor will continue to operate, but the in-car blower will ramp down (or the blend door will even allow some heat to come in and offset the A/C).

But anyway, my car is not like that. Does anybody have an answer to my original question?

edit: Just checked, the last three cars I have owned (two 1997's and a 2003) have all had the condenser fan on whenever the A/C was called for, period. Not intermittent.
Yeah a temperature sensor in the cabin is only for cars with a climate control system, considered a luxury feature. Sorry don't know the answer to your question

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 13, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

General_Failure posted:

Designed for... uhhhh...

Alright. 1975 Bay window VW camper. Subaru EA81 motor. generic VW header tank on hot side above motor. Industrial oil lines used as hardcore radiator hoses running to a 3 layer JE Camira radiator between the frame rails angled front down from horizontal with air scoop to assist with the ram effect for cooling while moving.
The fan is a Davies Craig low profile 10" dealie, which in all honesty is very similar to a Pajero fan, of which I also have one which was to be the second fan but it won't fit. You scared yet?

Do you have a/c then?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

General_Failure posted:

No, I do not. I asked my original question because I wasn't sure if the second thermo fan in a lot of cars is also used for normal loading conditions or only for the extra load of A/C.

I may be wrong on my estimates. Quite probably so actually, but I figure that a single fan blowing through a 3 layer radiator may be about as effective as 1.5 to 2 fans through a single layer radiator But then I think of surface area. There is still maybe 60% of the coolant passing by where there is no fan.

Cars with A/C use 2 fans so that they can blow air over the condensor independently of the engine cooling system. They don't both necessarily need to be on at the same time. For you it's better just to find a fan that meets your size and air flow requirements.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I am confused, why did you ask about that?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

_firehawk posted:

The I bought a salvage neon and it exploded on me thread got me thinking. Has any other manufacture ever marketed the exact same car across two brand marquis while keeping the same model name before? As in Dodge/Plymouth Neon?

The predecessor to the Neon was the Dodge/Plymouth/Mitsubishi Colt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sponge! posted:

The product description specifically states that its purpose is to enhance the heat transfer capabilities of your antifreeze. The only reason it contains corrosion inhibitors is so its not further diluting the precious stuff...

Its like drygas. You don't fill your tank with it.

Eh... I thought there were some race series / racetracks that mandate use of no anti-freeze, because it is difficult to clean up. Then those guys just run water wetter. It was a long time ago I heard that though.

• Locked thread