Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

So someone took the bumper of my car off in the parking lot at work, and I am slated to get it in on Monday to get everything fixed. I have my summer tires on and it has started snowing, so I want to put the winter's on this weekend.

1) edit: Is this something I should do myself so I don't have to find a place to do it for me. I don't have a garage so this would all be outside with whatever hand tools the car came with. Factory jack and wrench, etc.

2) Will it matter in terms of repairs? It's the bumper and trunk of my car that are mangled, but it's otherwise driven fine since I've used it since last Friday. I think they might take the back wheels off in the process of their repairs, maybe do an alignment, so is there any ethical murkiness to swapping out my tires and maybe getting a free rear-alignment out of things?

Basically I have put off putting on my winter tires for a week because I thought my car would be in the shop by now, and now that the weather has forced my hand I want to get it done without affecting the repairs. And also maybe avoid having to take my car in again to another shop when I get it back to get the winters on/alignment done.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah, I edited a bit out because I do know how to change a tire, it's mostly my location and tools that feels limiting. Need to find a level place in the apartment parking lot to do it all, hopefully with the weather helping out.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm heading to Costco tonight so I'll take a look to see if I can find a decent torque wrench. If it costs $50 and saves me $40 twice a year I don't mind the labour and the research to find what torque my tires need. My limits are mostly space; no garage to work in and not a whole lot of storage space for a bunch of tools.

No appraisal yet, I haven't been able to drop it off at the shop for any amount of time aside from "yeah it'll be at least a week" when the guy saw the bumper was gone, not just bumped. I was rear-ended earlier this year and it only caused some scrapes and a few little holes in the bumper, and that was $1200 parts and labour, so a completely shattered bumper + trunk lid damage + trunk lid knocked 3 inches off alignment is going to be costly. Not paying a cent though since the guy who hit me is an employee of the building management where I work (in a company truck) :dance:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

ExecuDork posted:

Pleads, does this mean you no longer need help with pulling the license plate screws? I'm guessing your plate was on the part that got trashed, so all the relevant bits will be new anyways.

Since I can't help you with that, I can happily help you with the winter wheels. It's really quite easy, and will go faster with two people. I have a couple of jacks and jackstands, and I can pick up a socket to fit your lugs if you tell me what kind of car it is.

Haha, yeah I think I'm getting a whole new trunk lid so I should be fine for the license plate now. We'll see what all they replace next week.

Help with the winter tires would be awesome, though. It's a 2004 Honda Accord. If you're free this weekend let me know.

Do you think they'll want the shattered remnants of my bumper? I still have it all in my trunk right now in case I for some reason needed it to prove anything to insurance, but the at-fault party is just paying to fix everything so I guess I can just toss everything in the dumpster.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hoping for a quick fix as the car may have to get on the road tonight:

Part of the front underside covering on my girlfriend's 07 Toyota Camry was peeled back by some ice that accumulated underneath during a blizzard. Backed it out of the stall and part of it peeled back and is now just dangling underneath. I don't think it'll fall of on its own but would like to see if it's something I can fix myself if I can get underneath it before the next snow.

Best picture I could find of the underside of a Camry ('12). It's the front plastic section, the red line is the part that is actively hanging down and the rest seems to still be attached. Is there just a section that snaps somewhere in there or did it rip out a bolt or something? I couldn't find any broken pieces in the snow where the car was parked.

e: An acquaintance said it should snap back in somehow but after a few shoves and whacks, I only managed to pull out a bunch of ice that was wedged up underneath it.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 4, 2015

• Locked thread