Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ajaarg
Jul 25, 2000
If I did want a woman (they are literally disgusting) i could always rape them. they are weak and feeble.

hacknee posted:

My two little brothers are addicted to WoW and it's no wonder they never stop suckling the cold mechanical teats of their computers if this is an example of the type of mindset a WoW player gets.

The thing about MMOs, and WoW is the best example of it, is that they are built to promote addiction. The game works on an exponentially decreasing scale of time to reward. To get to level 10 takes only 3 hours or so; to get to 20, on the other hand, takes about a day. And about 9 days for 50. At the highest levels, the game sucks time like a black hole for just the slightest increase in power.

People get addicted to gambling for the same reasons they get addicted to MMOs: the potential reward of a possible payout is there, but the game is heavily stacked against winning. That's not to say that you can't play it without getting addicted, but the game itself is designed to draw you in and keep you there.

My advice to the OP is that WoW is ruining your life and you need to quit until you can find some kind of balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ajaarg
Jul 25, 2000
If I did want a woman (they are literally disgusting) i could always rape them. they are weak and feeble.

Old Carbuncle posted:

Do you have the same attitude towards other peoples hobbies? Such as someone who builds ships inside tiny glass bottles, or paints?

WoW is a hobby, and its a hobby for ALOT of people. What I dont understand is how people like you can think otherwise.

It's a hobby the same way gambling is a hobby. Not to say you can't do either with some measure of control, but you have to take a hard look at yourself. Is it a hobby or an addiction? If you're struggling to keep up a relationship or a job, here is a hint: it's not a hobby.

Ajaarg
Jul 25, 2000

Old Carbuncle posted:

Everything in moderation, even hobbies, but that doesnt mean WoW isnt a hobby or in any way less (un)productive than any other, and it certainly doesnt mean he has to stop playing entirely
Once again just to clarify, Im not validating what hes doing, im simply saying AppleCobbler really isnt looking at it the right way at all, and showing how WoW is just a good a hobby as any other.

There's a difference between a productive hobby and an unproductive one. Everybody has (or should have) both. Learning an instrument, doing a sport, reading, painting, rebuilding old cars, whatever: there's a tangible end product in these tasks, or at the least you are improving yourself.

Then there are the time wasters: TV, myspace/facebook/something awful posting, videogames. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these activities, since everyone does something like this, but very few of them say they're hobbies.

What would you say if someone told you their hobby was checking myspace? You'd think they're pretty pathetic. It doesn't have to do with the activity itself, but rather how you view that activity with regard to your own identity. When you define yourself by your time-wasting activities, you've essentially just made your identity nothing.

You may think that something like reading is just as much a waste of time as gaming. Yes, some of these are arbitrary social distinctions, but they are nevertheless real distinctions. The cachet of a level 70 WoW character exists only to a small in-group, but to be well-read is prized in just about all aspects of educated society.

And hey, I've been posting here for some seven years, and a ton of those posts are in games, so it's not like I'm taking an elitist position here.