Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
meatlock
Oct 9, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Grrn posted:

No, I'm not. The relationship is not going to be ditched. If anything the WoW would go. The problem is that if I did end up quitting WoW I could see myself getting heavily into something else to fill that void. Before doing something rash I just wanted to see if others have had similar experiences.

trust me, you won't get into anything as heavily as you did WoW to fill that void.

Honostly, if you ask me (someone who was also once addicted to MMORPG's) - you need to stop playing. period. you are devoting way to much of your time and life to a virtual reality world that is not benefiting you in any way in the real world. In fact, i doubt it's even that much fun for you anymore wether you realize it or not.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, and i doubt you will take my advice, but life was not meant to be spent playing video games 4 hours a night and building up your character.

You are wasting your time, money, and in all likelyhood your mental state, health, and well-being are taking a hit as well. If you play as much as you do you probably have a good character and could sell it for a few hundred dollars on eBay or SA Mart or something. Do that. Please. Uninstall the game and get back to reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatlock
Oct 9, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Old Carbuncle posted:

Do you have the same attitude towards other peoples hobbies? Such as someone who builds ships inside tiny glass bottles, or paints?

WoW is a hobby, and its a hobby for ALOT of people. What I dont understand is how people like you can think otherwise. Sure, its a big loving waste of time, but if he derives satisfaction from it, why not? The other aforementioned activies are in the same boat, big loving wastes of time (unless its a job, but then its not a hobby, is it?), but people do it because they derive enjoyment and fun from it.

Who the gently caress cares if he cant tell his grandkids any proud stories? Sure, my grandfather fought in WWII, which is fantastic, but his hobby is WHITTLING WOOD. HOLY poo poo THERES SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF RIGHT THERE! Everytime I see him, and have seen him in the last 19 years of my life, he has been whittling and carving wood. All day every day. The man must've cut down an entire forest in his lifetime. Does he tell me with any sense of pride that he whittles wood all day? Of course he doesnt, because he doesnt give a poo poo, since he takes enjoyment from it.

Are you supposed to be able to regale your grandkids with epic tales of your hobbies? Seriously, get a grip.

It's not a hobby for this guy anymore. When you're spending 4 hours a night and have COMMITMENTS in a virtual world that are straining relationships and your well-being, it's no longer a hobby. the problem with MMORPG's is that far too many people can't manage themselves and restrict it to being a hobby. It becomes an obsession. After awhile it's no longer enjoyable, trust me.

There are also health effects associated with WoW that arn't prevalent in other hobbies. I doubt your grandfather in the prime of his life spent 4 hours a night widdling wood and neglecting your grandmother. Your grandfather also has something to show for his time - he is working on a craft, using his hands and relaxing. People who build models or ships in bottles are also finding a way to wind down and relax. WoW is more stressful than you think. It's very competitive and goal oriented. The only thing you're learning is the game itself.

Judging by your tone, you're probably the one who needs to get a grip, for your own good.

meatlock
Oct 9, 2004

by Fistgrrl

BullProofMonk posted:

You seem biased against this game since it is an MMO. I don't think you are a good source to be telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do with their time, due to this bias.

Just because you don't approve of this method of social interaction, it doesn't mean it's wrong.

is this a joke? or are you just a troll/idiot?

I am giving a guy advice based on my personal expierience with MMO's. I have gone down a path very similar to the OP's and realized everything i've told him in this thread after it was too late for me.

But yeah, i'm totally biased and have no idea what is going on. He should ignore all of my sound advice about doing something other than gaming for four hours every night of the week while neglecting his girlfriend, social life, and well being.

I'm going to go with the whole 'you're an idiot' thing.

meatlock fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 16, 2007