Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
The author of Minimum Security has a livejournal it seems.

She's a member of an anarchist community. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arkannoyed posted:

Let's travel back in time, shall we?

original

Who buys loving donuts for dessert?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Dr. M. posted:

I just don't "get" Get Your War On. I've never been in favor of the Iraq war, but that strip has no art, no humor, and its political message is brick-to-the-head unsubtle. Why not just write essays?

Because no one reads essays. People like pictures. And I tend to find it funny.

I'd recommend My New Fighting Technigue Is Unstoppable for the comedy, though. I read that first, and it's probably part of why I find Get Your War On funny.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Try to remember the basics of CQC...

ffuok
Apr 7, 2007

Oh man I'm hungry.

Snak posted:

Oh my god that is fantastic.

SpydaBass
Mar 13, 2007
Big Jilm

Snak posted:

Yikes. That is freakishly well done.

Helps us all to make light of a sad, sad comic.

Motivational Lobster
May 15, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Snak posted:

This is incredible.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm all for mocking Minimum Security here, but can we get one person to get it and put it on waffleimages. Every post in her livejournal says this:

quote:

The more you click on my cartoons at comics.com during 2007, the better the chances they'll appear in daily city papers in 2008. If you like Minimum Security, please see a new cartoon each weekday!

Currently, she's one of the people who is only on the web version, and will only see print if her readership gets above a certain size. Don't help her!

Her livejournal is quite a good window in her opinion, and, no, we are not misinterpreting her.

quote:

This gecko lives behind the shelves in my office. I often see her/him in the evenings coming out to hunt. Unfortunately s/he's letting some great prey get away -- namely two mammoth cockroaches that have been frolicking in my kitchen. So I killed them myself, smashed them with a rolled up newspaper. I feel guilty (I know this has been their home first and I'm the interloper) but I really don't want them to proliferate inside. I once lived in a roach-infested apartment and they'd sometimes crawl on me when I was sleeping and I just found it horrifying. I usually like insects, but I have a very deep-seated, strong reaction of revulsion when I see these inside (if they're outside they don't bother me). They're actually palmetto bugs, who fly and are about two inches long. Their legs are prickly. I wonder if I should try to overcome my negative feelings about them, and if I could. Maybe I'll explore this in my cartoons.

Mosquitoes are the only other insect that I'll kill, and usually then only if they're driving me crazy or preventing me from sleeping. Other times I just let them have a little blood, which seems okay here because we don't have malaria or dengue fever in Florida (yet). If one bites once or twice, I'll tolerate it, but if one keeps coming back for multiple bites, or if there are a lot of them biting at once, then I do try to kill them.

quote:

There's a story in yahoo news saying that scientists have proven that chimps learn things from each other instead of their behavior being solely based on instinct. Sigh. Do I even need to say "duh"? And instead of using this information to conclude that humans ought to apologize to chimps about a million times for the way they've been treated, a researcher has something else in mind, saying that their work is: "particularly useful to robotic development and artificial intelligence. Understanding the mechanisms of imitation and social learning can help us develop artificial beings that can behave and evolve in the way that we do and ultimately it may help us create other brains." God knows these scientists need to create other brains; they obviously have none of their own.

quote:

I don’t have much hope for the future. We’re living in a screaming emergency, in the midst of what are either the last death throes of a murdered planet, or our last chance to help some portion of it survive. Most people seem to still be in willful denial, or steeped in ideologies that make this situation acceptable to them. The only thing that keeps me motivated is the understanding that surprises may still happen, that something unexpected can knock this society off its trajectory of omnicide. Or perhaps enough of us will wake up in time.

Quest Jelineck
Jun 13, 2007

by elpintogrande
poo poo. She lives in florida. Why do we attract all the weirdos?

Psychosomatic Tumor
Jul 20, 2006

quote:

God knows these scientists need to create other brains; they obviously have none of their own.

:downsrim:
Well then, Queen Wit, what have you created in your lifetime apart from a lovely comic?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zonhiner posted:

poo poo. She lives in florida. Why do we attract all the weirdos?

And she's too young to die of natural causes, let's hope she gets something easily curable by antibiotics but dies cause she doesn't trust MANicine (or medicide, take your pick)

gently caress I hate anarchists, motherfuckers in Greece beat up the dudes from Underworld. Stupid fucks probably even have leaders.

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 5, 2007

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Lost Mustard posted:

Today's Foob:

It is done. :barf:

Someone has been listening to a little too much Meat Loaf

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Bobulus posted:

I'm all for mocking Minimum Security here, but can we get one person to get it and put it on waffleimages. Every post in her livejournal says this:

Currently, she's one of the people who is only on the web version, and will only see print if her readership gets above a certain size. Don't help her!

Her livejournal is quite a good window in her opinion, and, no, we are not misinterpreting her.

:sigh: I suppose I'll get them.

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

boscokitty posted:

Just found this page of FBOFW altered strips - http://www.artistcollaboration.com/~mjd/snark/shannon.html

Some funny stuff there.

Lynn strikes again. It's been taken down...

quote:

Hello. This page contained some mild satire on the comic strip 'For Better of For Worse', reworking the dialogue in the strip to create an alternative storyline for the Shannon character: 'Shannon takes a stand'. Shortly after the images were posted, the letter below was received from Stephanie van Doleweerd, Lynn Johnston's web developer.

Yes, all a bit disappointing. I suspect that this sort of harmless satire falls under 'fair use' (or the equivalent) in most legal systems, but as I have no particular urge to wade into the waters of international copyright law, and as the only purpose of the exercise was to have fun and share it with others (something generally frowned upon by the legal and cartooning professions), the pictures have been taken down. Sorry if you missed out.

Cheers,
Old Bean

When will she discover this little nugget of 'fair use'?

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM

Chilly McFreeze posted:

I never understood Hagar the Horrible. It's drawn by a guy, and all he does is make "men are stupid" jokes.

On a lighter note, today was the first time I found Frank and Ernest's pun-fest to be funny:

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Bent Wookiee posted:

how does comics curmudgeon/josh reads get away with showing the strips in a non parody way?

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

I think she may be onto us :tinfoil:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Flababo posted:

Nah, it just reminds me of this little bit from Jack Handey ...

"Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?"

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Flababo posted:

If being a jerk means I get a free shot then sign me up.

North of Gravity
Jun 30, 2007

did y0u pr0gram this r0b0t t0 have feelings f0r y0u?
R0MANTIC FEELINGS???

D --> Is that not ok

Flababo posted:

Yikes. Look at the way the little girl is grabbing at that butterfly. Doesn't she know that you'll damage their fragile wings if you touch them? :argh:

Thackery Lambshead
Nov 3, 2005

And then Liz ties him to a tree and lets a dog eat him alive.

:barf:

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

Bent Wookiee posted:

drat, it was pretty funny. And I'd like to see Lynn have a bout with Leonard J. Crabs.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Thackery Lambshead posted:

In any other universe besides convenience store romance novels, the line "Oh, have I missed you!" would be 100% vagina repellant.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

That's almost pose for pose the beginning of Sin City.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
That MS bitch likes putting words in other people's mouths, lets see how she likes it when the tables are turned.

That butterfly raped a moth so it's justified :downs:

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Only one thing can save Liz now:

And I think I've stumbled onto something that improves Minimum Security immeasurably:

Arkannoyed fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 5, 2007

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Quick and dirty.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

I love how huge Liz's neck is in the second panel. It makes me think that Granthony is thinking about Liz while making out with Julia. It's a shame that the real story is so much lamer than I'm making it out to be.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

quote:

There's a story in yahoo news saying that scientists have proven that chimps learn things from each other instead of their behavior being solely based on instinct. Sigh. Do I even need to say "duh"?

Well, look who's gone and crowned herself Jane Goodall! Let's see: Scientists use findings to prove their points and validate their theories. Stephanie uses "Duh."

You keep right on hating scientists, little one. Since you obviously already know everything, they'll never need to do any work again.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Hey, how 'bout that Meaning of Lila?

DJR
May 20, 2007

The Horror...

amishsexpot posted:

Im surprised nobody noticed

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Arkannoyed posted:

Hey, how 'bout that Meaning of Lila?

That looks like it was made with Comic Chat.

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

quote:

Hello. This page contained some mild satire on the comic strip 'For Better of For Worse', reworking the dialogue in the strip to create an alternative storyline for the Shannon character: 'Shannon takes a stand'. Shortly after the images were posted, the letter below was received from Stephanie van Doleweerd, Lynn Johnston's web developer.

Yes, all a bit disappointing. I suspect that this sort of harmless satire falls under 'fair use' (or the equivalent) in most legal systems, but as I have no particular urge to wade into the waters of international copyright law, and as the only purpose of the exercise was to have fun and share it with others (something generally frowned upon by the legal and cartooning professions), the pictures have been taken down. Sorry if you missed out.

Cheers,
Old Bean

I don't get it. What did this website do that we have not already done in this topic? Is Lynn going to come after us next? I really hope so

Also, curses to all of you for making me read this horrible comic. I can't stop!

Billy Black fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 5, 2007

0blivionion
May 21, 2007

by Fragmaster
Leonard J. Crabs v. Lynn Johnston.

that's really all anybody needs to say, isn't it?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

0blivionion posted:

Leonard J. Crabs v. Lynn Johnston.

that's really all anybody needs to say, isn't it?

We had a scare about this in one of the earlier FBoFW megathreads and decided not to deal with it - Lowtax doesn't need the bother and she'd be sending bona fide lawyers, not Internet Lawyers, so it's slightly different. Also, she could make a case. Fair use aside, we are using her intellectual property blah blah blah.

We decided it's just better to keep this little secret to ourselves.

:ssh:

struan87
Sep 8, 2004

What's your sign?
Wow, it really does get better if you remove the girl.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Flababo posted:

Actually, most people don't get mad if you question science. But "science is stupid and wrong" isn't exactly a question, now, is it?

As for the implication that since people are "attacking" you, you must be right, I leave you with the following quote:

"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.
I'm sure this was posted way back, but "Why I Hate Anthony" is appropriate now more than ever: http://shaenon.livejournal.com/29475.html

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Actually, most people don't get mad if you question science
Actually, history is full of stories about scientists who were right, but whose ideas were ridiculed and attacked for falling too far from the scientific orthodoxy of the time.

Scientists are people too, and are just as vulnerable to ignorance and closed-mindedness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I can't decide which comic angers me the most: For Better or For Worse or Mark Trail. Mark Trail has a slight lead right now because he's such a smug prick.