Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
P78M
Sep 1, 2004

tropical hot dog night
Picasso died today, too. Coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rizzo LaPlante
May 7, 2004

My family? Let me put it like this: we can't have a dog because I AM a dog...

Shmorky posted:

It explains the ENTIRE strip. .... I keep bringing this up all the time and no one is able to find these strips. I have tried online archives but they only go back to 2000.

Have you met ANYONE who can confirm that they've read these strips too? Are there any other periods of your life which appear to be missing?

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Jeremiah Smith posted:

My parents have some of the BC paperback collections from the 1980's and stuff, and they were actually not bad. I mean they weren't hilarious, but he wasn't all Jesusified. One of the collections was even titled "Where the Hell is Heck?" -- after the punchline from one of the strips. I can't imagine him using the word hell now.

See, I remeber when they weren't all religious either. The comics pages was one place that I used to practice reading, and I remember findinf B.C. mildly funny back then and then as I returned to the comics sometime in high school to find some rip on evolution, I thought maybe my little five year old brain hadn't picked up on the religious undertones. But, my parents used to like that comic too, and niether of them are religious. Was Hart the writer for the earlier strips too, I wonder?

Shmorky
Nov 6, 2002

IT'S TIM

Jeremiah Smith posted:

My parents have some of the BC paperback collections from the 1980's and stuff, and they were actually not bad. I mean they weren't hilarious, but he wasn't all Jesusified. One of the collections was even titled "Where the Hell is Heck?" -- after the punchline from one of the strips. I can't imagine him using the word hell now.

Ah, swear words and how they get censored, one of my favorite subjects!
Hart would have still used the word "Hell" especially in this sense since he is fighting the notion that anyone would dare call Hell, which is a VERY REAL PLACE TO HIM, a lame word like HECK.
...But lots of comic artists use "hell" in their strips. Hell, drat, and sometimes rear end are considered "okay" to use in the funny papers. In the case of rear end you'd have to say "you're acting like a real rear end!" not "check out her fine rear end!" Other words you have to fight to use. "Bastard" isn't considered very offensive, and you can use it in a newspaper comic, but you have to struggle to get it on there. "Bitchin" is rare, but it's considered a non-offensive adjective. Just don't use it very often. "Son Of A Bitch" is very rare, so much that when Gary Trudeau tried to use it in his strip just as an exclamation (and not an insult) many newspapers refused to run that one or move it to the op/ed section. He told them that they could either let him say the word uncensored, or to simply not run it. A bold move if you ask me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shmorky, stop tearing your hair out about the BC "voyage around the world" story... I remember reading it a while ago when it was in papers. Basically the storyline lasted 8 months (if memory serves me correctly, he gets swallowed by a whale sometime in the middle, so that's definitely a Bible reference) and near the end of it, he discovers a guy named Anno Domini (I'm not kidding, that's his real name). I forget what his character is supposed to symbolize, but it probably explains something related to why cavemen believe in Jesus. But like I said in a previous post, typical born-again Christians aren't exactly known for their common sense. That's all I remember, and I'm lucky (or unlucky?) to have remembered that much because my newspaper, the Newark Star-Ledger, pulled it out a while ago.

I don't care about the death of Johnny Hart... I haven't had regular access to a newspaper with comics for a long time and it's been longer since I've read his trash.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Rizzo LaPlante posted:

Have you met ANYONE who can confirm that they've read these strips too? Are there any other periods of your life which appear to be missing?
That storyline lasted for a loving year; how could you miss it?

Shmorky
Nov 6, 2002

IT'S TIM

Y-Hat posted:

Shmorky, stop tearing your hair out about the BC "voyage around the world" story... I remember reading it a while ago when it was in papers. Basically the storyline lasted 8 months (if memory serves me correctly, he gets swallowed by a whale sometime in the middle, so that's definitely a Bible reference) and near the end of it, he discovers a guy named Anno Domini (I'm not kidding, that's his real name). I forget what his character is supposed to symbolize, but it probably explains something related to why cavemen believe in Jesus. But like I said in a previous post, typical born-again Christians aren't exactly known for their common sense. That's all I remember, and I'm lucky (or unlucky?) to have remembered that much because my newspaper, the Newark Star-Ledger, pulled it out a while ago.

I don't care about the death of Johnny Hart... I haven't had regular access to a newspaper with comics for a long time and it's been longer since I've read his trash.

The name Anno Domini is what A.D. stands for. It symbolizes the fact that the strip is not actually set in B.C. and has been in A.D. for some time.

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

That storyline lasted for a loving year; how could you miss it?

That's why I want to see it again so badly and can't BELIEVE no one has saved it!!!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I remember that storyline too; what I don't remember is that it went on for a whole goddamn YEAR. Wow. It's like he was going for an ancient greek epic in syndicated comic form.

EDIT: If it ran in the late nineties, shouldn't it have been released in a book collection by now?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hey, speaking of comics with religious undertones, has anybody heard of this comic called Wildwood? At least that's what I think the name of it is, I'm 90% sure of it. I came across it when I was at school in Massachusetts. We got three newspapers with comics in them: one from Boston (the Globe), one from Springfield, and one from Worcester. The one from Springfield had by far the most comics.

So about Wildwood. It's about woodland animals and religion, and it centers around a bear who's a pastor and a lady fox who's a teacher at the bear's church. If B.C. subtly announced its Christian undertones, Wildwood flaunted its Christian beliefs in your face. Needless to say, it wasn't funny. Also it got pulled.

Edit: Wikipedia confirms my suspicion in spite of its lack of an encyclopedia page on it. It ended in 2002, which was about the time that it was pulled from the Springfield paper.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 8, 2007

Senor Bambos
Aug 6, 2004
How has no one brought up the fact that Wizard of Id, B.C.'s smarter brother, has also lost a writer?

Fortunately, Parker (the co-writer and artist) is ten-times funnier and infinitely more rational than Hart, so it's not that big of a blow.

Shmorky
Nov 6, 2002

IT'S TIM

Scattered Brain posted:

I remember that storyline too; what I don't remember is that it went on for a whole goddamn YEAR. Wow. It's like he was going for an ancient greek epic in syndicated comic form.

EDIT: If it ran in the late nineties, shouldn't it have been released in a book collection by now?

Not every syndicated comic gets a book collection, and even then sometimes strips are left out, or whole years go by without new collections. This is why Fantagraphics has been reprinting some of these older strips so hopefully they wont be lost to the ages.
I'm still upset that Curtis doesn't have a book collection. Everyone talks about the storyline where the mother has a miscarriage (just so Billingsly can avoid adding a new character- the cheap gently caress) but no one has posted those strips online either. They're lost forever unless someone has saved their newspaper funnies. Another interesting comic that never got a collection was Tom Batiuk's John Darling. In the final strip John was MURDERED! Of course the reason he was murdered was so that the people that owned the character would not and could not continue the strip after Tom left it. ...so a silly legal battle may never let us see that comic again.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Shmorky posted:

The name Anno Domini is what A.D. stands for. It symbolizes the fact that the strip is not actually set in B.C. and has been in A.D. for some time.

"Jesus totally took away all our ipods and concept of invention and never stopped that darn antichrist from bringing the apocalypse, but we still LOVE em!"

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Shmorky posted:

It explains the ENTIRE strip. Why they're cavemen, who else lives on their lonely planet, why Jesus is talked about so much in a comic that supposedly takes place BEFORE CHRIST. It's totally insane and a really interesting read. I keep bringing this up all the time and no one is able to find these strips. I have tried online archives but they only go back to 2000.
:aaa: That actually sounds like it would be interesting to read. Did he retcon anything?

Who woulda thought he'd put an origin series together.

Next time I hit the library, I'll have to keep an eye out for B.C. books, and the newspapers from that time.

e: wonder how much of a pain it would be to copy the old newspapers with this storyline. Probably be time consuming.

Dauphine
Mar 25, 2007
These cannibals have an innate sense of delicacy.
I used to collect the old newspaper comic anthologies that were published in cheap mass-market paperback editions in the 50s-60s. You'd find a lot of these at yard sales, mostly Peanuts but also some Wizard of Id and BC. I'm really curious now about the Anno Domini story because I don't remember a lot of the religious stuff from the earlier comics. When did Hart get all Jesus-y, anyway?

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Scattered Brain posted:

Yeah as I recall it lasted longer than Columbus' entire voyage to the New World. It might've even outlasted a Spider-Man storyline, and those things never end.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Shmorky posted:

I'm still upset that Curtis doesn't have a book collection. Everyone talks about the storyline where the mother has a miscarriage (just so Billingsly can avoid adding a new character- the cheap gently caress) but no one has posted those strips online either. They're lost forever unless someone has saved their newspaper funnies.

I've always hated Curtis and just considered it to be a lot of recycled garbage ("This isn't a clown prison, it's my favorite record store in disguise! The parents all band together and burn it!" "CURTTTISSS TURN OFF YOUR RAP JUNK!"), but I remember that storyline. Didn't some thug push the mom down some stairs, or something?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Poque posted:

I've always hated Curtis and just considered it to be a lot of recycled garbage ("This isn't a clown prison, it's my favorite record store in disguise! The parents all band together and burn it!" "CURTTTISSS TURN OFF YOUR RAP JUNK!"), but I remember that storyline. Didn't some thug push the mom down some stairs, or something?

I don't remember this storyline, but the notion of her thinking "oh no! Derrick and 'Onion'!" and them tumbling down the stairs is awesome

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Poque posted:

Didn't some thug push the mom down some stairs, or something?
It wasn't even that bad. They were walking on the sidewalk when some thug mugs them and pushes her onto some steps. They were steps leading up to the various apartment buildings, so she didn't fall down any stairs, she just fell upwards and landed on them.

Monomer
May 21, 2006

Better living through chemicals

Shmorky posted:

Stuff about Peter's walk around the world...

The only part that I vividly remember about that whole series was the already-mentioned section on Anno Domini and Conahonty. Both are racial caricatures, the former an Italian with a stereotypical handle-bar mustache and the latter a Native American who speaks in broken English.

This thread caused me to poke around a bit, and I found at least this part of Peter's journey online. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer has a collection of strips that seem to go back to 2001, and Peter apparently first meets Anno on January 21, 2002:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/bc.asp?date=01212002

The URL can be edited to view earlier strips.

Edit: Well, I guess there's just a few strips after that one. I don't know if there are any more dispersed in the archives, but I'm not really willing to search around. I actually made a program to mass-download comics from that site (:() and it looks like neither Anno nor Conahonty are in February's strips.

Edit #2: Well, I did find this one from October of 2001:

So it appears as if Peter was on his journey in October of 1999. At least maybe that'll narrow down your search a little.

Monomer fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 9, 2007

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!

Poque posted:

Curtis has the same problem that pretty much every comic has when it deals with any characters that are younger than middle-aged. Like Lynn Johnston, the writers just completely lose contact with how young people talk, act, and dress. Lynn probably had a vague idea of it when she was raising children, but even her (imperfect, haha) kids are grown and out of the house. What little social contact she (and other cartoonists) have with children is probably that of an aunt or grandmother who sees them maybe once a month at family gatherings. There's nothing wrong with this, but I think she (and other cartoonists) should be more honest and stop trying to write for age groups they're out of touch with.

In the case of Curtis, I remember reading it as a kid and even then I knew that he was perpetually stuck in the late 80s, where rap was a lot more jovial and quirky. His hat and collared-shirt-and-vest outfit are just completely foreign to the environment he's trying to convey. Amusingly enough, Curtis is similar to Luann in that the only stabs they make at trying to bring it up to the present day is to change the hairstyles of the female characters. There's always a "hey, like my new look?" strip and then their hairdo will resist change for another decade.

More examples: Gasoline Alley, where it's literally stuck in some period like the 1920s, but the characters look like mummies anyway so at least it kind of makes sense. The teenagers in Hi and Lois and Zits are further examples, both of them being cliches from previous decades and not carrying over very well to the present day because they look intentionally dated. It's not even limited to teenagers either, there are strips like Blondie and Dennis the Menace where even the middle-aged characters are forever trapped in the 1950s but they show a computer once a year because the cartoonist was fumbling around the internet and thought of a new "lol computers" gag.

If I were making a comic strip, I would purposely leave out any teenage characters. They're always the age group that changes the fastest with pop culture, and you're going to get further off the mark as you grow older. And frankly, I would find it really weird to be someone like Gregg Evans, who is ostensibly a middle-aged man whose greatest interest is in pubescent teenage girls. You could make :pedo: jokes for hours with that guy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yeah, Monomer, the main cave dude first met Anno in 1999. Don't ask me why but I still remember how that comic went.

First panel shows the caveman hitting land on his ship and asking a mustachioed man, "What's your name?" In the second panel, the man says, "Me Anno Domini." The last panel has the caveman thinking to himself, "Oh my goodness, I've discovered Italy." :rimshot:

I have a good long-term memory but drat if I remember something you told me five minutes ago. :downs:

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!

Mr. Pither posted:

More examples: Gasoline Alley, where it's literally stuck in some period like the 1920s

Actually the characters in Gasoline Alley age in real-time, so it's supposed to take place at whatever time the strip you're reading was published.

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton
not mine:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Senor Bambos posted:

How has no one brought up the fact that Wizard of Id, B.C.'s smarter brother, has also lost a writer?

Fortunately, Parker (the co-writer and artist) is ten-times funnier and infinitely more rational than Hart, so it's not that big of a blow.

If only that had been mentioned a few pages back.
It's also not much to call something "B.C.'s smarter brother."

Not Zilon
Jan 9, 2007

No one will ever know it's me!

Poque posted:

I think Josh from Josh Reads brought this up (though I can't find it in the archives, but I saw it SOMEWHERE):

One thing that is amusing about Curtis is that the characters don't age, however they do follow the times in subtle ways - such as when Curtis's father remembers his younger days. They change with the decade, so that he always remembers something from the right past decade so that he never seems too old to be the father of two children with a hot wife. He often compares his music tastes to Curtis's current favorite rap artist.

If the comic continues on this vein, eventually the father will be remembering the 80's.

"Rap? You call THAT rap? Back in MY day, we had RUN DMC..."

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Not Zilon posted:

"Curtis, turn that crunk trip-hop DOWN!"

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton

PurdWerfect posted:

Not a chance. It'll just be called "B.C. Classics" and run for another ten years (at least). Whatever quality or lack of quality it may possess, it's an iconic strip. Another possibility is that a syndicate hack or multiple syndicate hacks, will take over and churn out product under the name.

Either way, you and I will go before B.C. does.

you called it:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/09/america/NA-GEN-US-Obit-Johnny-Hart.php

quote:

(Richard Newcombe, founder and president of Creators Syndicate) said "B.C." and "Wizard of Id" would continue. Family members have been helping produce the strips for years, and they have an extensive computer archive of Hart's drawings to work with, he said.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

quote:

(Richard Newcombe, founder and president of Creators Syndicate) said "B.C." and "Wizard of Id" would continue. Family members have been helping produce the strips for years, and they have an extensive computer archive of Hart's drawings to work with, he said.
I look forward to "B.C." becoming the new "Dinosaur Comics".

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Hah. Him dying on Easter... It's almost as if he planned it... :tinfoil:

Oh, also. I saw this in the porn thread earlier and thought I'd link here as well, very much not work safe:

:nws: http://j4cbo.com/imgslave/files/41/41491f4566d0a4ed8fe927932be9e38fd34e1371.jpg :nws:

Police Academy 6
Jul 12, 2006

Monomer posted:

The only part that I vividly remember about that whole series was the already-mentioned section on Anno Domini and Conahonty. Both are racial caricatures, the former an Italian with a stereotypical handle-bar mustache and the latter a Native American who speaks in broken English.

This thread caused me to poke around a bit, and I found at least this part of Peter's journey online. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer has a collection of strips that seem to go back to 2001, and Peter apparently first meets Anno on January 21, 2002:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/bc.asp?date=01212002

The URL can be edited to view earlier strips.

Edit: Well, I guess there's just a few strips after that one. I don't know if there are any more dispersed in the archives, but I'm not really willing to search around. I actually made a program to mass-download comics from that site (:() and it looks like neither Anno nor Conahonty are in February's strips.

Edit #2: Well, I did find this one from October of 2001:

So it appears as if Peter was on his journey in October of 1999. At least maybe that'll narrow down your search a little.

Interesting. I could read these strips on microfilm at the library, but I don't know how much it would cost to print all of them out.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Back on the FBofW track...

I should not look at the FBofW website at 3 AM, because I find things like this. :psyduck: Thanks Lynn, I know what'll be peppering my nightmares in a Child's Play-ish manner.

And then there's the jewelry. Why isn't there a fireman modular charm?! :cry:

Dr. Ogeguri
Nov 28, 2006

by mons al-madeen
Say what's going on with Luann now?

Oh God! :cry::fh:

PepRally
Feb 2, 2006

I just noticed last Monday's Luann is the saddest comic strip ever:

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

psycho78m posted:

Picasso died today, too. Coincidence?
Picasso must be hella old.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Not Zilon posted:

There was a strip here he recalled a 1981 videogame, if I remember correctly.

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

X JAKK posted:

"Curtis, turn that crunk trip-hop DOWN!"

Can't you feel his RAGE?

Oriman
Aug 29, 2006

by elpintogrande

Badger Mehndi posted:

Can't you feel his RAGE?

Notice the poster in the third panel of this strip:

'RAP'

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This would be a whole lot creepier if it were April coming into this guy's house, since he looks like a rapist.

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

Oriman posted:

Notice the poster in the third panel of this strip:

'RAP'

I see 'Nuns with Guns' gets Curtis friends in high places.

:downsrim:

EDIT: :wtf: I just stumbled upon this little murder-suicide from a strip last month.

...Wow.

HUG ME FOREVER fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 9, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Badger Mehndi posted:

I see 'Nuns with Guns' gets Curtis friends in high places.

:downsrim:

EDIT: :wtf: I just stumbled upon this little murder-suicide from a strip last month.

...Wow.

I actually chuckled a little bit at the Dagwood one. Sure, it's a little bit of a comics-elite circlejerk, but I thought it was alright.

That balloon animal one is just bizarre, though.