Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Y-Hat posted:

Stone Soup

Don't you just want to kill that little poo poo Max?

And as far as I know, the children do not grow up in this strip. Whether the future baby will always be a baby is beyond me.

Oh God, I hate this one. It was mentioned previously with the "Give Peas A Chance", which was quite possibly the single worst comic strip I have ever seen. The addition of the dog going, "OK!" just made it worse. This one's not even laughably funny, it's just grating and painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

vkeios posted:

He's Wally's nephew, I think.
And I think its worse then For Better or Worse honestly. I've never seen a pregnant woman with legs coming out of her belly.

In all honesty, in comparison to a lot of other strips, FBoFW is pretty well-drawn. At least Lynne adds detail.

Of course, you'd think after like fourty years she'd actually get good at faces, but, you know, she hasn't.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Alan Smithee posted:

Those are going to be the most disgusting cookies ever.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Internet Webguy posted:

They're going to kill him, aren't they? I sense that, somehow, Danny DeVito is behind this.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Alan Smithee posted:

Oh god, they are disgusting.

Her face in the last panel is the epitome of "What...the gently caress."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Y-Hat posted:

:siren: COMIC CROSSOVER ALERT :siren:

Elly's coming from Canada? Bad family comics unite!

Oh god, I hate that little snot kid so much. At least he isn't talking in this. I remember one where he was in the background going "babba dabba dabba". Stone Soup sucks.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ImANarc posted:

This reminds me that FBOFW and Sally Forth are of the same universe. Did anybody else catch that? Sally Forth had a comic where the daughter and her artsy-friend made a comment about some Canadian band, 4-Eva, made it on TV or something and then decided to form their own Suicide-esque band. It wasn't that great, but weird.

I love it when comics do that. The people who make comics should collaborate and really flesh out the idea of a comic strip universe.

gently caress, I hate Stone Soup. This post has nothing to do with it, but gently caress.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Crumbunist posted:

He looks like he's grabbing Liz's rear end in the third panel.

In other news, Bernice looks like she's finally cracked.

One! You! Now get to work, bastard child.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Y-Hat posted:

Before I noticed the face, I noticed his gigantic hand. This person can't draw.

All three of them.

:psyduck:

Also, I like how his forearm dwindles into nothingness like a train track in that second panel. Where's his hand? Is he patting himself on his back?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

News at 10: Walt Duncan beats the poo poo out of his teenage son. Last words of child: "Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!"

I love Zits; even when they get lazy it's still a cut above most of the other strips.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Deep Hurting posted:

EDIT: That sun looks like somebody pitched a rock through a window, though.

Y-Hat posted:

Stone Soup is like a lesson in what not to do in comics. Don't try too hard on action poses. Don't even try to draw hands if you can't successfully keep the shape of the main character's head the same throughout three panels.

Is it really that loving hard to successfully imitate Scott Adams? This woman has no talent and Alice has googly eyes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Deep Hurting posted:

I don't know if I agree with this. Exaggeration is the soul of cartoon illustration.

Yeah, but if you try too hard it just comes across as bad. Trust me, I've taken a course or two on cartooning and I have a good grasp on what's good and what's bad. Stone Soup is bad.

Deep Hurting posted:

If you can't draw every part of the body, you should either practice some life drawing or not be an illustrator. Some of us who are better than you need and deserve those jobs more than you do.

The author of Stone Soup can't draw the same thing consistiently. I would call that a major part of being a successful cartoonist. Would you have liked Calvin and Hobbes if their heads were shaped like a kumquat every other panel?

Deep Hurting posted:

She's drawing Alice's eyes differently so they're consistent with the way all the other characters' eyes are drawn. Personally I don't see why you can't draw them both ways.

Except that Alice's eyes look completely different in Dilbert? The author is attempting to recreate the style of the other comic strips, and failing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Jenkins posted:

Not that whoever draws this is that great, I have to say I greatly prefer when the artist draws people from a 3/4 perspective. Whenever the people are shown straight-on they suddenly get spina bifida or something.

I didn't know what spina bifida was so I looked it up and now I want you to die.

I'm surprised Family Circus isn't mentioned here more often.

:saddowns:

It's The Addams Family Circus. These kids go from cute to horrifying in seconds.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 23, 2007

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

DJR posted:

There's one in the Independent called "As If" and it is truly diabolical. Until now I didn't think anything could top it, but not only is For Better or for Worse devoid of any decent ending, but its also corny as hell.

WITNESS "AS IF": (by Sally Ann Lasson), since 1999

EIGHT YEARS.

What the gently caress? Bad art, humorless jokes, crusty insults, marriage problems, flower couch, big-haired fat wife, skinny balding husband...this must be a British strip.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

There is so much wrong here.

Jeffy is having neck problems and his sister is either deaf in one ear or completely fascinated by her man-baby father, who is reading a comically huge book while ignoring the infant-sized PJ.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Twitch posted:

Alright, I've had something I've wanted to say for a while now. Can we stop posting Stone Soup? Funky Winkerbean and Foob are bad in ways that are funny, but Stone Soup is seriously just offensively bad. Like reading it makes me angry. Even Minimum Security just makes me roll my eyes.

I would second this, but I have a high tolerance for bad comic strips. What really irks me are those old-tyme boring comics like Mark Trail and Apartment 3-G and Rex Morgan and Mary Worth and Dick Tracy in the rare event he's not brutally murdering someone.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Taumpy Tearrs posted:

This is great if you imagine it as the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lazlow posted:

This one was a lot funnier in my head.

This is fantastic. I have no idea what's going on but I'm laughing.

Edit: Family Circus is running on empty.

Is this a joke? There is no joke. There's not even a "Kids Say The Darndest Thing" joke, it's just an observation, like "This can has rust on it" or "I have hepititis."

...said the obese child.

:saddowns:

I swear, these kids get more :downs: every day.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 23, 2007

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Adinsxyz posted:

How interesting. Comics Curmudgeon post here.

Shameless internet theft!

Actually, except for the 18-inches thing, it's obvious that he really is abnormally small. Grandma looks like she could smack his entire upper body with the picture book she's holding.

ThirstyGirl posted:

:pirate:

I keep forgetting not to crosspirate from my other forums.

I haven't seen a joke this lazy since I took cartooning class. Also, using the hot dogs as a measuring device, the older brother is five feet tall. And he has no right arm.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Adinsxyz posted:

No Billy you will regret this for the rest of your life :gonk:

Oh god they're so dumb it hurts.

Jeffy just gave his entire class nightmares for a month.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

The Cubelodyte posted:

Those little scamps!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Alan Smithee posted:

TJ is going to accomplish the impossible, being even more incredibly annoying than Rachel Ray

Oh, cool, the writers from Three's Company and Friends have teamed up to drive comics out of the newspapers. What crazy shenangigans will befall the characters this time?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

The McPhersons are "that" family.

Also, she's writing it to "The Fenderheads". Is this a reference to Drabble or am I looking into it too hard? Drabble is the only place I've ever seen the word "Fenderhead". I mean, unless it's some weird Midwest thing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Surrealist Garfield can be terrifying:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Vingle Prime posted:

I really wish Garfield would become a completely surrealist cartoon, something fairly akin to Zippy the Pinhead except with better art and less pretentiousness.

For that matter, I also wish most of these comics would follow that path.

Going in the same direction:

I hate that loving smile.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lazlow posted:

Here's an entertaining diversion, Five-card Nancy.

This is aweseome, but it annoys me that you can't save it.

Dirty Nancy

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

lame username posted:

Sweet Jesus, look at his loving eyelashes. Not only are they enormous but it looks as though they have some sort of hypnotic powers, it looks like April's pupils are huge. I realize that's how she's always drawn, but somehow that's all I can see in that panel.

Great, now I have vampire music stuck in my head.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not to judge someone on their appearance, but she looks exactly like you'd expect.

She looks exactly like the crack whore who lives across the street. Right down to the squinty smile and the last-time-I-showered-was-1985 hair.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

North of Gravity posted:

I think that, as long as we're talking about crap like Minimum Security, this comic needs to be brought to attention: http://news.yahoo.com/comics/roseisrose

Personally, I find this comic sickening. It tries so hard to be cute, but it just ends up being irritating.

But...Rose is Rose is adorable...how can you not like Rose is Rose? Do you have no heart?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I hate Baldo. It has never been funny, it's drawn badly, it's full of stupid "Latino-Power!" plotlines, and every english teacher I have ever had has used it in a Cultural Awareness unit.

Flababo posted:

That's right: any medical problem can be cured plants. Even cancer. And AIDS. And "science" is out to suppress all well-known folk remedies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Y-Hat posted:

"Maybe if you hold the PHONE, I can press the buttons."

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Deep Hurting posted:

As I said, it's a double-entendre.

On the one hand, he's saying he's so nervous that he needs somebody else to hold onto the telephone so he can dial it.

On the other hand, "hold the phone" is also a turn-of-phrase meaning "To stop doing what one is engaged in doing. Often used in the imperative: Hold the phone! Let's end this argument."

Ohhh...wow, this strip sucks.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Aw, she looks so sad in that first panel...and yet, I still want to punch her loving head off.

HATRED OF A THOUSAND BURNING SUNS!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Not sure of the date, but here's some good Photoshop material:

Link to larger version

Who says Lynn can't do faces?

Also, "Facial Exercises"? This must have been the 80's. After she put the book down she probably went out to snort coke and try to cut her thighs off in a hallicinogenic frenzy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Cacatua posted:

Hmmm. And just what kind of sick shenanigans were you up to at this so-called "Red Tag" sale?

Stabbing babies, no doubt.

Meanwhile, in the Family Circus:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Grammar Stalin posted:

I'm thinking more like "Cats Don't Dance." That's an underrated animated movie, in my opinion. I just started reading it, and it blows me away.

That was an awesome movie, but my first thought was Fievel Goes West, too. Jesus Christ, this comic is done well. A relief from the LOOK I MADE ART WITH FLASH comics.

Edit:

Thackery Lambshead posted:

Where are they? Did they just mash their way through the bushes?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

csammis posted:

To be fair, I remember reading somewhere that some cartoonists usually write their strips about a month, month and a half in advance. If he wrote that the week after Hart died, that'd be about right.

Yep. Anywhere from two weeks to two months, depends on the strip. I think topical strips like Doonsebury have an even shorter waiting time than two weeks.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Senor Bambos posted:

I'm sure this will please all two of you who get this.

:v:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Marlex posted:

http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20070711.html

It has everything, even the lame pun at the end.

This is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Alan Smithee posted:

The only thing that could've been more perfect is instead TJ goatse'd Brad on the last panel

In the next one he punches his stupid teeth out.