Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Badger Mehndi posted:

Sunday strips as a rule are never to be counted in with the storylines of the dailies, being that some papers don't run Sunday versions of any/some comics.

Nonsense. Lynn is just branching out into alternative narrative methods. I hear that in a week she's going to start doing flashbacks like Lost, then she'll jump a year ahead like Battlestar Galactica, and then finally tell a story backwards like Memento.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Quaker posted:

Wait, so what's the joke? Har har, speaking in front of crowds is scary? :psyduck:

"Haha, the big published author can't think of any words!"

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Anal Purity Foe posted:

She's a classy broad

Definitely not roadside.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Jikes posted:

You know, this is the only bit of Lynn Johnson's made-up slang that even remotely makes sense to me. What do we all love about roadside locations? They're easy in, easy out. :v:

I figured it had more to do with prostitutes hanging out by the road with their stuff on display.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Jikes posted:

:eng101: Prime Minister.

Also, I never knew that turning sixteen would overnight morph your facial characteristics and bone structure until you were unrecognizable. Are Canadian girls a different species?

They're like axolotls. Axolotls are salamanders that remain stuck in their juvenile form: they can reproduce but they still have juvenile features like gill fronds on their necks. When researchers gave a certain growth hormone to axolotls to see what would happen, they actually turned into adult salamanders of a species never seen before. April is like an axolotl, and her idiot friends are the growth hormone, and she's turning into a new species of Canadian.

Actually, that's a terrible analogy, but gently caress it, axolotls are :awesome:.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

delfin posted:

Could Two Weiner Kid _possibly_ look any more smug or self-satisfied?

I bet you'd look pretty smug if you had two weiners.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

The well-drawn stuff is supposed to be her past with some handsome guy, and I guess kumquats were something they shared as part of their love, and now the regular cartoon style stuff is the grandma sharing kumquats with her family as part of her love. Or something. I only kind of skimmed the earlier comics so I could be totally horribly wrong.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

My parents have some of the BC paperback collections from the 1980's and stuff, and they were actually not bad. I mean they weren't hilarious, but he wasn't all Jesusified. One of the collections was even titled "Where the Hell is Heck?" -- after the punchline from one of the strips. I can't imagine him using the word hell now.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

The balloon one features Curtis' weird friend Gunk, who's from some weird foreign island. The Gunk strips tend to be pretty surreal, like the balloon one.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Since this thread seems to be about all comics now: first Johnny Hart goes, and now his partner goes too.

CNN

quote:

Brant Parker, who for decades illustrated "The Wizard of Id" comic strip, has died just days after the passing of his collaborator on the comic. He was 86.

Parker, of Lynchburg, died Sunday at a nursing facility there from complications of Alzheimer's disease and a stroke he suffered last year, said Kathy Kei, an editor of "The Wizard of Id" at Creators Syndicate.

Eight days earlier, the strip's writer, cartoonist Johnny Hart, died of a stroke at his storyboard, according to his wife. He was 76.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Crumbunist posted:

And the guy on the right's shirt seems to change mid-panel. The first panel says "Stop the Occupation" and the last panel says "Free Palestine!"

Of course, Stephanie is such a lovely cartoonist that she can't fit "Palestine" and "Occupation" on one line of the shirt, and has to separate them into two lines.

Actually, that's a relatively common mini-joke in comics. If there's a small sign or other piece of text, sometimes the author will make it change a little in each panel to something related or topical. Some writers even make the sign tell a second joke, panel by panel. But, yeah, that's no excuse for having hyphenated t-shirts.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Shapiro posted:

If you can manage to stick one of those fire-throwing masks onto Shannon's face, I think that would be perfect.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Lazlow posted:

What the gently caress is she talking about? What "other ways of knowing things" are there? Knowledge comes through observation, which is the heart and soul of science. What is she talking about, non-superstitious divine revelation (an oxymoron if ever there was one)?

She might be talking about some sort of intuition.

There are fringe groups of post-modernist feminists who feel that science and experimentation are rigid and male endeavors, while learning things emotionally is a more female way of learning. They argue that science hasn't been able to calculate things like turbulence because male thinking is focused on rigid things while female thinking is more fluid. I think there was an analogy between penises and menstruation. There's more of a focus on feelings and they reject so-called "male science" things like proof and evidence. I don't remember all the details. It's not a majority opinion in feminism, but it's the sort of stupid poo poo that author might lap up.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

DemonNick posted:

But it's probably the crazy feminazi crap.

Given the strip parodied in the post after yours, I'm afraid you're probably right. :(

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

shadysight posted:

What? Sump Pump, or Borked. I guess I say the latter more frequently than the former, but I've never needed a Sump Pump.

Yeah, "borked" is probably the closest Lynn's gotten to slang I've actually heard used before.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

I thought it was a word like "pwned", where a typo becomes slang on its own. It started as "borken", as a typo of "broken", which started being used deliberately and then evolved by analogy into "bork" as a verb and thus "borked" as a participle.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

I like Lulu Eightball. It's in the Baltimore City Paper but I don't know what else it's in.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Also you too will be judged ugly man

I don't know why but the ugly guy in the panel with the manger looks like he's supposed to be a caricature of somebody.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

"Can I order you a drink?"

"No, thank you!"

"You religious?"

"No, I'm a Christian!"

Wait, what?

Some Christians -- particularly the ones who read Chick -- feel that it's not a religion, it's a personal relationship with Christ. Religion, I suppose, carries too many connotations of overblown and impersonal social constructions which distract people from truly getting with Christ, like worrying about the church's new stained glass or the bake sale or something.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

Well, that explains that, but it still doesn't explain the exclamation points after virtually every single sentence spoken by anybody.

Chick is a terrible writer.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Nausicaa posted:

FBOFW's Canuck-ness is a well-known feature of the comic, I have no idea why Lynn feels the need to Americanise her spelling.

In this case, the pun wouldn't be as obvious.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

bgaesop posted:

But... but she's hiding her body with a leaf. :psyduck: I would be more confused if I wasn't so sure that the reason is the author can't draw a naked body.

Judging from the guy's reaction it's not really hiding much of anything, except from the reader.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

That means the two shirts aren't even consistent. So that's probably what it says.

The shirt changes between panels. That's not an uncommon gag in comic strips; background stuff, like signs on desks or t-shirts, changes in each panel as a sort of second joke.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

You misunderstood what I'm saying. I meant to say that the message on the shirt in the first panel and the message on the shirt in the second panel are contradictory: one says to stop war and the other one says to resist or die. Typical McMillan doublethink.

I'm not really sure how the two statements are contradictory unless you're assuming violent resistance over a wide area.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Seriously, if there is a God, he loving loves his bugs.

I understand he has an inordinate fondness for beetles.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Jikes posted:

Wow, they even work in a couple of nice backhanded slaps at Catholicism.

"SHUT THE $@*(#@&$ UP, OLD MAN!"

Yeah, Jack Chick's not a huge fan of Catholicism. And by "not a huge fan" I mean "he thinks it's devil worship".
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0047/0047_01.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Agapetos posted:

Why is it offensive if a certain racial group is presented as being intelligent? (Especially if we aren't referring to whites?)

The stereotype isn't just that they're intelligent, but that they're bookish nerds who focus solely on academics. (Plus, even if it were a solely positive stereotype, it's still a stereotype. You end up, for instance, with Asians who have to put up with other people who won't stop asking "You're Asian! Why do you only have a B-minus average?", or a black guy who pulls his pants down to reveal an average-sized penis and his date is disappointed that he doesn't have an eleven-inch monster, or an Asian who works their rear end off to get some prestigious academic award and then people trivialize it because they figure "That's not so special, your kind is good at that anyway.")