Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

You're really going to get a kick out of this...

Beaver Patrol posted:

Rape.

Also todays:

That's not even an attempt to be humorous...there's no failed pun, there's no silly little quip, it's not even an attempt, it's just a stated thought. It's like if Mallard Fillmore was reciting quantum physics.

What is wrong with Lynn Johnston?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Radish posted:

I was going back through the archives and caught this one of April using her telekenetic powers to cheat at basketball.

Between this and the earlier strip, April's blossoming into quite the young lady...a little too fast.

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Dr. Ogeguri posted:

Wow that's horrible. Why not just put the first panel where the last panel is and get rid of the "5 minutes ago" crap?

Either way it's not funny.

No, it's hysterical because moms are *so* lame.

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

SomewhatFraudulant posted:

Edit: And SomewhatFraudulant slips one in for the hat-trick!!

I just about peed myself over this. Brad likes 'em young.

I also love that Dad-Michael "open mouth astonishment" panel; they're considering it. They don't necessarily want to give April away, but drat if they need those trains.

Seriously, these parents don't treat their kids all that well.

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Crumbunist posted:

Moon
god?

Moon God :smith:

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Deep Hurting posted:

They rejected me for syndication:

I guess she's just a better illustrator than I am. And funnier, too. :(

Nah, man. You're just too real for syndication.

Seriously, though, look at the trash that fits in on the rest of the pages. If it's not human interest or remotely cutesy, of course they don't want it. It's hard as heck for dark humor to break into the papers.

I don't know that I'd look so far into Minimum Security's future, though. Given the vocal Christians and the fact that half of her comics seem to be anti-Christian, specifically, I can't see it going too far.

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Deep Hurting posted:

The best thing you can do with a one-off gag is stretch it across as many days as possible, LASAGNA I HATE MONDAYS YOU LAZY CAT!!!

Wait, so why is making a joke about consuming babies considered less offensive than saying basically the same thing, except with "handicapped kids" instead? :confused:

Because it serves a petty agenda and ham-handed messages rather than trying to be funny or humorous for its own sake. And, as you and I both know well, being funny is the most grievous of offenses, especially on the funny pages.

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Sherman's Lagoon is what you might call a "charming" comic along the same lines as Mutts. Frequently, it's not that funny, but it does try and the times it's not funny are not so blatantly offensive as other comics. It's not really funny, like Pearls Before Swine or Get Fuzzy (I won't even mention the good ol' days), but it's not horrid like everything else.

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Tambourine Man posted:

I like Sherman's Lagoon, as it's little more than, "Whatcha doing?" "Nothing" "I'm going to go eat that Californian", but it doesn't try to be anything other than that, it's laid back and sometimes genuinely funny; I can skip it without really missing it though.

It's forgettable, to be sure, but whoever made the decision to use it as a replacement could have done a lot worse.

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Crumbunist posted:

I've never found Get Fuzzy funny ever. But Pearls Before Swine is awesome.

YOU DARE DISAGREE WITH ME I WILL CRUSH YOU AND SPLIT YOU OPEN ARG ARG no it's okay.

Get Fuzzy has some pretty lame moments, what with the generic formula: "What are you doing Bucky?" "Something I'm not supposed to." "Huh, you're as crazy as Martha Stewart/Andre Agassi/some New Zealander no one knows."

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Nausicaa posted:

I think that in terms of pencil-mileage, Pat McDonnell has the easiest job in the world. Some Mutts strips must take all of ten minutes to sketch and ink.

Luckily I like Mutts :)

Mutts is another charming strip, funny in a way that is beyond me.

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

I don't get this one. There are several Children's Day festivals celebrated around the world. But where is the punchline?

Because those precocious scamps have life rough! They want toys and games! They want their blu-ray discs and pierced scrotums!

...gently caress you, family comics don't need a punchline! :argh:

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Holy heck, that Zits cartoon may not have been all that funny, but is it the only strip left that actually tries to make a joke anymore? Between Winkerbean's going nowhere, For Better Or Worse's 80's-esque reminder to be tolerant and the psuedo-tripiness of these other comics, I can't help but wonder what the heck happened to the funnies.

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Deep Hurting posted:

WTF kind of story arc is "guy sprays pesticide on his garden", though? Even GARFIELD regularly tackles more compelling material.

What gave you the idea that Minimum Security was ever about story arcs?

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Surrealist Garfield can be terrifying:

I really wish Garfield would become a completely surrealist cartoon, something fairly akin to Zippy the Pinhead except with better art and less pretentiousness.

For that matter, I also wish most of these comics would follow that path.

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

ukulele bastard posted:

You're right, it really does get better without the lead chick.

It's become vaguely surrealist. There's so much to interpret without being sodomized with a radical set of morals.

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Good lord, is she actually advocating the return to nature? How would anyone read her webcomic?

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

JCaesar posted:

What the gently caress is going on here?

Apparently, Stephanie McMillan believes that throwing garbage away will be hazardous to Aquaman's health.

Who is she trying to convince of what again?

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Lagg posted:

:argh: MOON GOD????

Moon God :smith:

I put it up every time for someone to use. I think it's crackerjack.

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

McMillan is about five strips away from blaming the Jews.

I can see it broiling.

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Crumbunist posted:

She did that in 2002.

"Meet the new Hitler: former victim of the old Hitler."

Why does she put "Solution" at the top right corner? Am I jumping to Godwin too soon or is that particularly sinister?

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

Granted, Pearls Before Swine is a cut above much of the other crap on the comics page, but it's not so much funny most of the time as it is true about the subject matter it tackles. Kind of like The Onion these days.

I would like it if Pastis just stuck to criticizing and making fun of the older cartoons. Most of his humor otherwise just falls flat, but when he criticizes himself or other cartoons, it's pretty awesome.

I was tickled pink when he did his Osama Bin Laden staying with the Family Circus skit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vingle Prime
Jan 23, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

See this is what just plain mindfucks me. She's complaining that evil poisonous food made by corporations is too expensive for people to buy it. Shouldn't she be having a party over this news?

I think the idea is that the corporations are selling poison at too high a cost for the poor people to buy, so they will undoubtedly seek a righteous revolutionary to lead them in the destruction of the machine.