Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger Mehndi posted:

Sunday strips as a rule are never to be counted in with the storylines of the dailies, being that some papers don't run Sunday versions of any/some comics.

Especially since the papers generally require the Sundays to be done as much as 3 weeks or even 3 months ahead of when they actually get printed, whereas dailies usually only require a day or so before printing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nausicaa posted:

Uuuuh... no, ALL strips are required weeks in advance. I think it's 3-4 weeks for dailies, 5-6 for Sundays.

This was a rare FBOFW where the Sunday ALMOST matches up with the surrounding dailies.

I was just going off what Bill Watterson said in his Tenth Anniversary colelction for Calvin & Hobbes. He mentioned how hard it was for him to make the Sunday strips for one of the camping stories line up. He said something about daily strips only requiring him to be a few days ahead but he had to put that one camping story in 3 months in advance to be guaranteed to have the Sundays with it.

waffle posted:

That's one thing I always admired about Bill Watterson, Sunday Calvin and Hobbes strips would always follow the current plot arc despite the fact that they'd have to be written ahead of time, but since not everyone got the sunday strips, they'd always be throwaway jokes in the same setting as the arc.

He rarely matched them up, and in fact rarely had plot arcs. :confused: There would be the multiple week babysitter stories like this one, but the Sundays were unrelated most of the time. They were still rare even after he was allowed the freedom to break the usual panel restrictions in the Sunday strips.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eXXon posted:

Does anybody ever actually say roadside? I even looked it up on urbandictionary and the only definition seemed entirely based off what Lynn Johnston wants us to believe it means.

Lynn's assistants emailed someone asking about "roadside" "gig" and "been there" and stated that they were made up terms.

In the second thread, I posted:

And now I find the source for the usage of those terms.
From comment 16 on http://joshreads.com/index.php?p=206

"Hey Gigs, here is the hands on *official* word from Team FBOFW:

>Hi there,
>
>Thanks for writing!
>
>Yes - Lynn did make up the ‘jive talk’ >that the kids in the strip are using.
>
>Have a great day,
>
>Allison
>Allison Zadorozny
>FBorFW Team
>www.fborfw.com "

fishmech fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 19, 2007

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nausicaa posted:

Personally, I think even after 4 threads, there is ALWAYS room for another fireman insertion.

See? ^^

btw... where can one download the FBOFW font? It's goon-made, isn't it?

Second thread: http://www.redmonkey7.com/sa/FBofW.ttf

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Who changed the title just now?

Also, the subtle hand gesture change was pretty funny.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bent Wookiee posted:

Would it not be sufficient to have just the fireman's face? That's a lot of text for an emoticon. The face says it all really, to those that will get the joke anyway.

It would cycle through the txt. :colbert:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

beans+toast posted:

you are all as crazy as the guy who writes this comic for following it like you are. frankly i'm beginning to fear for my safety amongst you weirdos.

:engleft: It's a woman writing the comic. :fbofw:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Alan Smithee posted:

pffft, a woman you say? They only thing that's changed is her muppet nose and googly eyes are gone, and her mouth is upside down.

I can just see the Johnston household now

Lyn: "I put up this sweet 16 song, and it is BRILLLLLIIIIAAAAANNNTTTTAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!"

Real April: "mom....I was 16 20 years ago...."
There is no real April!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

timb posted:

Perfect.

If no one has any other changes, shall become our new emoticon.

Edit: I just noticed the size is 100 x 47, that's to big. Is it possible to scale it down to 100 x 25 without losing much detail?

Hmmm, here's it scaled to 25 height (53 wide).

I suggest leaving it like this ^ , except redoing the text layout.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Customer Service posted:

Would this work? I'm incredibly bored and edited it real quick.

This thread is endless fun.

Yes, it's perfect.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TC the Giant posted:

I just bought :fireman:. It should be the face with text when it gets processed.

You are the best :regd07: for this.

:frogbon:

I can't wait to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tonelok posted:

:eng101: The age of consent in Canada is 14. She's not very roadside if she's waiting till 16.