Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I’m the stone accent wall ripped out of a Marriott Suites lobby with a teeeeeeeeeeny tiny drop-in fireplace in the middle of it

are you BeatMasterJ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The real fireplace behind it had serious firebox damage, was ugly painted brick and had a 24” brick “bench” sticking out the front that was dangerous for the kids and built lovely.

When I chiseled out the bench, the lower wall was just exposed cinderblock. Plus when I insulated and built out the drywall on the side walls, the fireplace was actually set an inch back

It made more sense to just frame out a fake fireplace in front of it for depth. Biggest insert that would fit in the hole’s 4:3 aspect.

I’d never done brickwork, and one goal of my basement finishing project was that I learn all the trades needed and not hire any contractors. Veneer panels seemed like the easiest to learn, and these were the ones my wife liked.

come at me again.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 16, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

come at me again.

hire somebody if you can’t convincingly do something yourself

this is like when my parents tried “tiling” the kitchen with stick-on “slate look” linoleum tiles in the 90s

remember watching a marathon of SOAD videos on mtv2 while some dudes finally replaced those abhorrent things with laminate

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I like it. I don’t even know what I would’ve asked a contractor to do different.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it’s absolutely fine.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's ugly but not terribly done or anything. Just a matter of taste at that point.

Do personally hate fake fireplaces though.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

eddiewalker posted:

I hung a tv above a fireplace. Come at me.

TCL65r617, Andrew Jones L+R, matching center going above as soon as I decide how to build a wall shelf. Polk OWM3s in the rear because they fit nicely. There’s wire in the ceiling for Atmos someday.

I’d like to upgrade my old Pioneer VSX-9040 receiver, but right now the TV is my only 4K source so I don’t see the point when I’m just using hdmi audio-return.

Looks awesome!
How does it sound?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You need a rug. And maybe some acoustic panels on the wall. I bet that place echoes like a cave.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

The Dave posted:

Yeah it’s absolutely fine.

Did you click and see the vertical white lines through the breaks in it? It's pretty rough. I think it might be off center left as well but it could just be an optical illusion

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 16, 2019

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Did you click and see the vertical white lines through the breaks in it? It's pretty rough. I think it might be off center left as well but it could just be an optical illusion

The centering is an illusion. The white lines are because I had to chisel out and replace 6 panels beside the insert where I mismeasured and haven’t scrubbed and sealed the new joints yet.

Yea, it’s kind of a 5-foot project, but it’s mine and I learned a lot. The black curtained fuckdungeon wasn’t my style.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 16, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

eddiewalker posted:

The centering is an illusion. The white lines are because I had to chisel out and replace 6 panels beside the insert where I mismeasured and haven’t scrubbed and sealed the new joints yet.

Yea, it’s kind of a 5-foot project, but it’s mine and I learned a lot. The black curtained fuckdungeon wasn’t my style.

For sure, most people won't notice it. Good job taking it on yourself and saving some money! Next time you do one just avoid having the terminating ends line up as often as they do below the left and right sides of the tv on concurrent levels and you won't see the sheets at all.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

For sure, most people won't notice it. Good job taking it on yourself and saving some money! Next time you do one just avoid having the terminating ends line up as often as they do below the left and right sides of the tv on concurrent levels and you won't see the sheets at all.

The way the ends line up was kind of an unfortunate reality of the ledger panel system. The corner-specific pieces are 6 rows tall and all the same length so all of the joints end up in the same place.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I’m the stone accent wall ripped out of a Marriott Suites lobby with a teeeeeeeeeeny tiny drop-in fireplace in the middle of it

are you BeatMasterJ?

A bit a lot of HDR will fix it right up.

It’s fine. Nothing wrong at all. It’s a great job considering it’s all diy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

I hung a tv above a fireplace. Come at me.

TCL65r617, Andrew Jones L+R, matching center going above as soon as I decide how to build a wall shelf. Polk OWM3s in the rear because they fit nicely. There’s wire in the ceiling for Atmos someday.

I’d like to upgrade my old Pioneer VSX-9040 receiver, but right now the TV is my only 4K source so I don’t see the point when I’m just using hdmi audio-return.
Gonna come at you man: this is pretty dire. Scrap the fake wall and teeny fireplace, hang the TV at a height that won't give you neck problems, get a rug, books, art. If you need heat try a mica-panel space heater.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Gonna come at you man: this is pretty dire. Scrap the fake wall and teeny fireplace, hang the TV at a height that won't give you neck problems, get a rug, books, art. If you need heat try a mica-panel space heater.

Nitpick the couches all you want. It’s what we already had, and I’ll buy something that fits the space better when they wear out

With 3 small kids, TV is a nice trade off height between comfort and constant fingerprints. I had to ditch my tower speakers when a kid pulled one over on himself and it dominoed into our last tv. Keep in mind, it’s only a 7ft tall room so at least it’s not “mantel height.”

Fireplace is on a z-wave appliance relay so only adults with phones can turn it on. Space heaters make me nervous with small fingers.

That pic is a small part of the total project that involved hauling out nearly 4 tons of waste, insulating and reframing 1500sqft, plumbing in a new half bath, and hanging/taping 40 sheets of drywall. Alone. I’m really tired and happy with the result.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 18, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Nitpick the couches all you want. It’s what we already had, and I’ll buy something that fits the space better when they wear out

ITS SO WEE!!!

OHMYGOD IT LOOKS EVEN SMALLER WITH THE COUCHES THERE

the couches are fine, btw, and look comfy. I don’t think anybody’s nitpicked the couches

BUT THAT FIREPLACE

Like, I get that it’s an insert my dude. But that things like 3 feet off the ground and it looks like an oven just floating in the middle of the wall. Like I almost expect a pizza to come out of there

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Personally I think TVs and fireplaces don't mix, ever, as they are both kind of a focal point of a wall. However this space looks like a fine place to hang out with your kids and watch cartoons so good job completing a DIY project.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It doesn't look like a fuckroom so that's good/bad.

(Really, though, I like it but I think you need an end table or something to put drinks and snacks on.)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TomR posted:

Personally I think TVs and fireplaces don't mix, ever, as they are both kind of a focal point of a wall. However this space looks like a fine place to hang out with your kids and watch cartoons so good job completing a DIY project.

The problem is people want a fireplace. Fireplaces are nice. But they also aren't going to hang out in a room without a TV because that's not how we live anymore. I'd probably have put the TV on the long wall with the couch opposite and had the fireplace to the side, but sometimes that doesn't work for whatever reason.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

KillHour posted:

The problem is people want a fireplace. Fireplaces are nice. But they also aren't going to hang out in a room without a TV because that's not how we live anymore. I'd probably have put the TV on the long wall with the couch opposite and had the fireplace to the side, but sometimes that doesn't work for whatever reason.

I agree. I didn't mean to say that a fireplace and a TV can't be in the same room, just not generally on the same wall stacked one on top of the other. I would also move the TV to the other wall. My living room has the TV on the long wall and a fairly large aquarium on the short wall, similar to how a fireplace would be in this case. As a parent I can totally understand not wanting small fingers being able to reach my nice stuff. When my kids were younger I had a puppy pen as a crowd control gate in front of the TV stand so they couldn't get to the TV, receiver, etc.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

The problem is people want a fireplace. Fireplaces are nice. But they also aren't going to hang out in a room without a TV because that's not how we live anymore.

I guess I don’t really watch tv more than a half hour or an hour a week, but this seems sad to me. I don’t have a tv in my living room and if people come over we hang out in the kitchen.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't think I watch the TV in my living room more than an hour a month and I mostly use it to display the Chromecast slideshow as a digital picture frame, but having a big TV over your fireplace is the middle class status symbol du jour.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KillHour posted:

The problem is people want a fireplace. Fireplaces are nice. But they also aren't going to hang out in a room without a TV because that's not how we live anymore.
:raise:

You can live however you like and IMO having your TV in a separate room from the living room is infinitely better. Certainly a lot of the people I hang out with do this, although they are also snobs.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Y'all are real hung up on this fireplace thing. I've got a nice fireplace in the big room upstairs. 15ft ceilings, arches and poo poo. There's no TV there, so we set logs on fire just to watch them burn. It's where we greet guests and have Christmas morning type stuff.

Sorry I stuck an insert in the downstairs flame hole. Sorry the existing hole wasn't big enough for anything larger. I'll try to do better next time.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

Y'all are real hung up on this fireplace thing. I've got a nice fireplace in the big room upstairs. 15ft ceilings, arches and poo poo. There's no TV there, so we set logs on fire just to watch them burn. It's where we greet guests and have Christmas morning type stuff.

Sorry I stuck an insert in the downstairs flame hole. Sorry the existing hole wasn't big enough for anything larger. I'll try to do better next time.

The fireplace is fine. I’d lose the TV.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BigFactory posted:

The fireplace is fine. I’d lose the TV.

where's the "post about how you don't own a TV" thread?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

where's the "post about how you don't own a TV" thread?

You’d think it would be in TBB, but you’d be surprised!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

eddiewalker posted:

Don't apologize for anything. It looks just fine, serves your purpose, and you like it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I finally figured out a way to make everyone happy.
..sort of.

Emotiva UMC-200 + XPA-200 fixed my problem of needing a receiver that is ~5" tall and can still produce <100WPC and be controlled by my Samsung TV's smart remote.
I only use it with the Optical coming from the TV because the in-laws don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of figuring out how to juggle 2 remotes.
Despite the fact that it works the same way that it always did with the Rotel RX-1052 or with just the TV speakers, my mother in law still managed to become severely confused and forget how to use the ONLY REMOTE they've ever used at my house. Father in law still prefers the Comcast remote and that's fine because I got the volume to work with that too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What are your speakers?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Looks good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BigFactory posted:

What are your speakers?

Vadersteen 2ce Signature II

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Vadersteen 2ce Signature II

Like em.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Everyone roasted the poo poo out of homeboy for a fake fireplace and half-assed veneer wallpaper, but no one's going to mention my dudes 36in TV above with the 82inch speakers? With the 2 foot thick cabinet and speakers sitting in front of a wall mounted TV so that poo poo looks like it's at the bottom of a well? With the two foot thick cabinet that still doesn't fit any of the components so they dangle out the front?

Feeling really let down right now y'all.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 23, 2019

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

100% Dundee posted:

Everyone roasted the poo poo out of homeboy for a fake fireplace and half-assed veneer wallpaper, but no one's going to mention my dudes 36in TV above with the 82inch speakers? With the 2 foot thick cabinet and speakers sitting in front of a wall mounted TV so that poo poo looks like it's at the bottom of a well? With the two foot thick cabinet that still doesn't fit any of the components so they dangle out the front?

This one probably sounds really good though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

Nah I don’t see that. Maybe the components being a bit big for the cabinet but I honestly can’t tell. IDK, I had my HPMs flanking my TV for a while and they’re huge and looked great.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

100% Dundee posted:

The TV is too high up but otherwise the components are nice and the aesthetic effect doesn't evoke a cum-encrusted man cave.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I'm just surprised he didn't find a black Wii instead. Also what's it there for, retro emulation or grandma wanting to play Wii bowling?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

100% Dundee posted:

Nothing wrong with wall mounting a TV if you have kids. Modern day size TVs are not sturdy on stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

They're awesome but I have to say they sound best paired with my Acurus DIA-100 though. That thing is just sooo sweet.
Eventually I'll have something else in the living room though because I've got a toddler and I've heard that kids and speakers don't mix well.