Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

# Sony 60" XBR2
# Onkyo TX-SR605
# JBL 5.1
# XBOX 360 (Lauch Day!)
# Wii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

crm posted:

# Sony 60" XBR2
# Onkyo TX-SR605
# JBL 5.1
# XBOX 360 (Lauch Day!)
# Wii

What's up SXRD / still-working launch 360 buddy.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

fahrvergnugen posted:

What's up SXRD / still-working launch 360 buddy.

I think we're the only two :D

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
I don't know if this is the correct thread to be asking this, but does anybody know of a 2-3 shelf black audio pier? I will be holding a Onkyo TX-SR606, a PS3 and a fairly large 300 CD carousel, so it needs to be at least 20" deep. I'd like something not too terribly tall, say under ~40". I'll be moving cross-country after grad school, so I don't need anything too nice as I'll probably just be leaving everything anyway.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

TenementFunster posted:

I don't know if this is the correct thread to be asking this, but does anybody know of a 2-3 shelf black audio pier? I will be holding a Onkyo TX-SR606, a PS3 and a fairly large 300 CD carousel, so it needs to be at least 20" deep. I'd like something not too terribly tall, say under ~40". I'll be moving cross-country after grad school, so I don't need anything too nice as I'll probably just be leaving everything anyway.

Have you checked Ikea?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Blakkout posted:

Have you checked Ikea?
yes i've checked all the usual places and nothing is grabbing me thus far

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

yes i've checked all the usual places and nothing is grabbing me thus far

Look everywhere. Hell even walmart and target carry simple black audio piers.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Finding the right audio rack is the hardest part.

FromTheSuburbs
Jan 12, 2004

Essil on erifet al.
Finally, a television to be proud of and reason to post:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

• Samsung LN46A650
  • Xbox 360
  • Wii
  • Sony old-as-gently caress 5.1 receiver
  • HD-DVR

Any pointers on improving the current aesthetic is appreciated. I am keeping the left area clear for now for a PS3.

Also, a question for those with hardwood floors- how are you handling your rear satellite speakers? I'm currently using a Rocketfish wireless receiver which works well enough. I would ultimately like to get the rears wall-mounted; being on the 1st floor of a 3-story condo and two cats both want to crush my dreams, however.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

FromTheSuburbs posted:

• Samsung LN46A650
  • Xbox 360
  • Wii
  • Sony old-as-gently caress 5.1 receiver
  • HD-DVR

Any pointers on improving the current aesthetic is appreciated. I am keeping the left area clear for now for a PS3.

Also, a question for those with hardwood floors- how are you handling your rear satellite speakers? I'm currently using a Rocketfish wireless receiver which works well enough. I would ultimately like to get the rears wall-mounted; being on the 1st floor of a 3-story condo and two cats both want to crush my dreams, however.

What the hell. Why is your TV like 6 feet in the god damned air.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Juriko posted:

What the hell. Why is your TV like 6 feet in the god damned air.

I don't think wall mounts are ever received well in this thread.

Anyway, the height won't be as much of a problem if you can get rid of the entertainment center underneath it. Put your components on a shelf or in a cabinet along another wall. Ideally, you don't want your receiver and consoles to be distracting from your TV. Try to frame the TV as though it were a painting on the wall.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

The majority of them are poorly done. Bad placement and when you put a whole entertainment unit under it with all your boxes and such it just looks like you have an empty stand missing your TV. Like you said, when you wall mount the tv you need to treat it like a framed piece of art to make it look good. The "floating above the tv unit" look is horrible.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

McCracAttack posted:

because they are mostly terrible

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

I could care less about it being wall mounted, but it looks retarded to have your tv floating so high up. It is almost understandable in the fireplace situation, but his tv is mounted higher than his shelving unit. That is just silly.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

McCracAttack posted:

To be fair, not all of them were that great (One guy put it above his fireplace?)

I chose specifically not to wall mount because I knew I'd either screw it up, or want to rearrange my room later. Sure enough, I rearranged last week. (Plus I live with my parents :awesome: )

EDIT: If it were lowered like 2.5 feet, it would look sweet (and he should mount the speakers too)

FromTheSuburbs
Jan 12, 2004

Essil on erifet al.

Juriko posted:

I could care less about it being wall mounted, but it looks retarded to have your tv floating so high up. It is almost understandable in the fireplace situation, but his tv is mounted higher than his shelving unit. That is just silly.

Jesus, it's like looking at the FedEx logo. I knew there was something about my setup that was just off. My TV is ridiculously high in the air.

The speakers I plan on mounting regardless; aside from taking down the television, I may try to find some wall shelving for the components.

sexellent
Mar 28, 2004
yes... very sexellent
Edit: Sounds like you already have the right idea. Move the TV down so the top is about even with the shelf on the right. Run the Right, Center, and Left speaker wires in the wall behind the TV and mount them adjacent to the screen. I would suggest wall anchors you can get at Lowe's/Home Depot, they support about 50 lbs. and are a find solution for this kind of thing. For the rear speakers you're just out of luck. Stick with wireless until you can run in the ceiling or under the flooring down the road. Unless you like wires stapled to the wall =X. Congrats on the TV =)

I handled my tile flooring/rear speakers by running flat speaker wire before the new tile was installed. This is a good solution, but obviously you would be putting down new flooring. If you have intent to do flooring any time soon, Monster makes some excellent flat/under the carpet wire that holds up well in this application.

As far as the furniture criticism, from your picture it doesn't really look like its plausible to do a rack or shelving to the sides as the space is already taken up. The equipment has to go somewhere, and the color of your current furniture somewhat matches. I'd stay with the setup you have, and reduce the clutter on the stand as much as possible. This is a common set up a lot of people go with, it's not ideal but it's realistic.

sexellent fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 14, 2008

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...

FromTheSuburbs posted:

This is the perfect height for those nights when I want to stand on my desk and watch my television

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

The Dave posted:

The majority of them are poorly done. Bad placement and when you put a whole entertainment unit under it with all your boxes and such it just looks like you have an empty stand missing your TV. Like you said, when you wall mount the tv you need to treat it like a framed piece of art to make it look good. The "floating above the tv unit" look is horrible.

Agree with a lot of it... if you wall mount a tv the only thing that should really be below it is a center channel on a speaker stand.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

FromTheSuburbs posted:

Jesus, it's like looking at the FedEx logo. I knew there was something about my setup that was just off. My TV is ridiculously high in the air.

The speakers I plan on mounting regardless; aside from taking down the television, I may try to find some wall shelving for the components.

The fact that you didn't notice is making me laugh. Yah, the wall under your TV has a case of 12 head.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

sexellent posted:

The equipment has to go somewhere, and the color of your current furniture somewhat matches.

Oh come on now. There are three pieces of furniture in this picture, and all three are very different wood tones.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

The Dave posted:

Oh come on now. There are three pieces of furniture in this picture, and all three are very different wood tones.

Seriously. I don't think you necessarily have to match all your stuff exactly, but the only way in which those pieces are similar is that they are not dark hardwoods.

goat boy
Dec 28, 2006
I volunteered for Vietnam to get out of Alabama
The only thing that setup has going for it is that it doesn't have hanging wires, which is more than some of the other wall mounts setups can say.

The most distracting thing for me is that the lamp and other pieces of furniture make the TV seem "uneven". I don't mean that the TV itself is uneven but its just off-kilter. I don't think the TV is too high but if it didn't have so much stuff crowding it it would probably look better.

also: Wall mount the speakers, you did a good job with the other wires so it shouldn't be too hard.

goat boy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 14, 2008

FromTheSuburbs
Jan 12, 2004

Essil on erifet al.
Thanks for the tips. I know it seems unreal I wouldn't have noticed before, but watching the TV from the couch about 10-12 feet away, the gap really doesn't seem that huge. The lamp will be going soon. The giant piece right next to it is an antique Victrola phonograph inherited by my girlfriend from her great-grandmother. The TV stand and entertainment shelf could go with no resistance. Ah well...just a good reason to go shopping for new furniture if nothing else.

At this point, I would implore someone else to post an abysmal set up.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I'd think with the TV that high in the air your eyes would get fatigued quickly.

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa
Holy hell... I'm blown away by all the people who don't understand the concept of 64" AFF

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

Holy hell... I'm blown away by all the people who don't understand the concept of 64" AFF

PARA INGLES, POR FAVOR.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

Well, if you worked for my company and didn't understand the concept of 64" AFF you'd be doing one of two things:

1) Replacing the Rhino Liner in the vans
2) Standing in the unemployment line

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

So, what's 64" AFF? I might understand the concept but I have no idea what it is and am curious. Google couldn't help me.

Sivilized
Jun 6, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

Well, if you worked for my company and didn't understand the concept of 64" AFF you'd be doing one of two things:

:lol: Thanks for the chuckle

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

fahrvergnugen posted:

PARA INGLES, POR FAVOR.

AFF = Above Finished Floor

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
Because of all the hate towards poorly executed wall mounted TVs I decided to post pictures of the one in my house. This was done about 18 months ago and it was under $1000 for everything. I ran hdmi and an IR repeater to a cable box inside the garage. It is only used for tv or occasionally hooking up a Wii to the front ports during a party, thus no high end speakers or DVD player.

Evil Kaneval
Sep 28, 2001

Jumping books since 1938

poppingseagull posted:

Because of all the hate towards poorly executed wall mounted TVs I decided to post pictures of the one in my house. This was done about 18 months ago and it was under $1000 for everything. I ran hdmi and an IR repeater to a cable box inside the garage. It is only used for tv or occasionally hooking up a Wii to the front ports during a party, thus no high end speakers or DVD player.

Looks great to me. I would one day like a room like that. One day.

What TV is that, btw? Looks like a Westinghouse.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

poppingseagull posted:

Because of all the hate towards poorly executed wall mounted TVs I decided to post pictures of the one in my house.

Is the picture of the cable box install an inside joke or something? I don't need to tell you what you'd be doing if you worked on my crew.

Cramato
Jul 9, 2002

Beware the curse!
Okay, I wall-mounted my tv pretty high up.

Truthfully, I prefer it this way.

Of course, a lot depends on your perspective.

http://www.crankbugs.com/imghost/tv-2-5150.jpg

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Evil Kaneval posted:

Looks great to me. I would one day like a room like that. One day.

What TV is that, btw? Looks like a Westinghouse.

Yeah it's the 37". We got it Black Friday 2006 for something like $800 which was a steal back then.

Legdiian posted:

Is the picture of the cable box install an inside joke or something? I don't need to tell you what you'd be doing if you worked on my crew.

Do you mean the wires? That is all in the garage behind a large air conditioning unit so it is never seen. I could clean it up in a few minutes but never bothered.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

poppingseagull posted:

Do you mean the wires? That is all in the garage behind a large air conditioning unit so it is never seen. I could clean it up in a few minutes but never bothered.

I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm not accustomed to seeing cable boxes installed with bungee cords and eye bolts. The display install looks nice though :)

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa

Messadiah posted:

So, what's 64" AFF? I might understand the concept but I have no idea what it is and am curious. Google couldn't help me.

Sorry, 64" AFF is basically the standard in the AV world for mounting TV's

it stands for 64" (to the center of the mount) Above Finished Floor. In my experience it works both for Commercial and Residential applications.

Bucket Joneses posted:

haha sweet.. so there's two of us then :)

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

Sorry, 64" AFF is basically the standard in the AV world for mounting TV's

it stands for 64" (to the center of the mount) Above Finished Floor. In my experience it works both for Commercial and Residential applications.

Interesting...when I mounted my TV several of my friends thought it was mounted too high but I thought it looked right. I just checked and the center of the mount is almost exactly 64" above the floor.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Focal fronts and center channel, Essex SW2 sub, Panasonic XR-57 receiver, Vizio 32" LCD. Not pictured (since they were purchased after the picture) is my Wii and Mac Mini that I use as a HTPC.

King Nothing fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yalc
Mar 5, 2003

Gayin it up itt

I know I need to pretty up some wires, there are just so drat many.

Just to show the sub sits between the two couches by the lamp. and faces towards the wall.. speaker layout isn't the best but it is the best given the room size, next would be to mount the rears really high up. but.. it works for now.

Yalc fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 18, 2008