Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

crm posted:

What kind of theme are you using on your popcorn hour? Assuming that's the popcorn hour with that sweet Shield background. I'm a little in the dark in terms of customizing my Popcorn Hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's not a theme, I believe he's running YAMJ on that with a certain skin. Mine does the same. It provides background and episodes information for (most) TV shows.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

r.i.p. kuros :(

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
No offense, but I definitely laugh out loud every time I see those speakers.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

Omegalast is just trying to distract you from noticing 2 xbox 360s, a bluray player and PS3. Alot of redundancy there in case one piece of kit goes wrong there is back up...

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Death's Head posted:

Omegalast is just trying to distract you from noticing 2 xbox 360s, a bluray player and PS3. Alot of redundancy there in case one piece of kit goes wrong there is back up...

Am I also seeing 2 receivers?

usurper
Oct 19, 2003

Sup

shaitan posted:

Am I also seeing 2 receivers?

Top is a receiver. Bottom is an Emotiva amp.

Cabana Boi <3
Nov 5, 2004
Its moved since then and less cluttered:

-32 or so inch Vizio HDTV (thats zelda Wii version on there)
-Wii on the right Spindle of DVD-Rs on left..

2nd row (from left to right): Left Speaker, Dreamcast games, HD DVR (comcast) and on top of it is the DivX capable DVD player phillips makes, then Audio CD's and right speaker

Bottom (also from L to R): Basket full of DVD movies, Reciever (Sony 5.1 bought for cheap used works pretty nicely) another basket with Wii games, and more DVD's

Center speaker is missing in this image..

not shown: 25 inch Dynex LCD in the bedroom with 2600 sempron running as HTPC also on Ikea furniture.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Omegaslast posted:

I hope you have plans to stain that entertainment center to match the speakers. For my sake. Come on man. Do it for me.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Omegaslast posted:

I'm sure those speakers sound incredible but drat do they look ridiculous. How tall are they anyway?

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.
My project today:

Before:

During:

After:

Speakers will be going up tomorrow. Actually, about half of them are in place already, but there's a lot of organizing to do.

In the cabinet are: cable box, Onkyo reciever, PS3, Wii, and an extra HDMI to plug into the lappy for streaming netflix movies.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
not to be a prick but you should check your fire code, most dont allow power cords to be run in walls like that, meaning if your house burns down and they find out your insurance is void. usually requires you to wire a (recessed) outlet behind the tv

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

I'm quite sure that I am breaking fire code.
Shrug.

I would prefer to have an outlet mounted behind the tv, but I don't really want to cut the wall apart to wire an outlet and mount a box, then patch, prime, and paint.

Are all the mounted tvs in this thread honestly running off outlets mounted specifically for the tv?

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Local Yokel posted:

Shrug.

I would prefer to have an outlet mounted behind the tv, but I don't really want to cut the wall apart to wire an outlet and mount a box, then patch, prime, and paint.

Are all the mounted tvs in this thread honestly running off outlets mounted specifically for the tv?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042505&p_id=4652&seq=1&format=2

This is the solution I picked up for this problem, works great and pretty simple to install if you've ever done any wiring work before.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Local Yokel posted:

Shrug.

Yes, running a power cord in a wall is monumentally stupid. Not only may it cause a fire, it might break a mortgage or rental agreement, municipal bylaws, and in the case of death from said fire, would give you a nice criminal negligence case. The Monoprice thing or a PowerBridge are a good solution. Stop being a cheap rear end and hire someone to do it right.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Sony KDL32S2010.

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

Belldandy posted:

Yes, running a power cord in a wall is monumentally stupid. Not only may it cause a fire, it might break a mortgage or rental agreement, municipal bylaws, and in the case of death from said fire, would give you a nice criminal negligence case. The Monoprice thing or a PowerBridge are a good solution. Stop being a cheap rear end and hire someone to do it right.

I think I'm missing something here. Yes, it's likely against fire code. How does the cord being on the other side of the drywall start a fire? There's no insulation in this wall, and it's drywall on one side, and cement on the other. It's empty dry space back there. All of the cables tucked back there are in good shape with no exposed metal. One of those cords happens to carry more power than the others.

What does the PowerBridge do? Runs a Romex cord through the wall. What's Romex? A non-metalic sheathed cable. What is the power cord for my tv? A non-metalic sheathed cable.

Maybe I'll replace it with the monoprice option eventually in order to make code, but I'm really missing how this install is endangering school-buses full of children.

That said, does anyone sell a "solid core" power cord that I could use as a replacement. As far as I can tell fire-codes require solid rather than stranded core, and this would make for a very simple fix.

Edit: "PowerBridge" pricing is on par with Monster Cable once I checked them out.

Local Yokel fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 11, 2009

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's been said before, but again, the look of the TV mounted right above a TV stand like that just doesn't look good at all. It looked better off the wall.

I think the best way to redeem it is maybe treat it like a table, put a little plant there, maybe a framed picture or a candle or a little dish of something.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Local Yokel posted:

That said, does anyone sell a "solid core" power cord that I could use as a replacement. As far as I can tell fire-codes require solid rather than stranded core, and this would make for a very simple fix.

Edit: "PowerBridge" pricing is on par with Monster Cable once I checked them out.

Power cords are always stranded - solid core is prone to break if used in applications where it's flexed often. You might be able to find a solid-core one, but it won't be easy (and would still look like a power cord in the wall).

You could just do a normal power cable run (you know, the cheap solid-core stuff you get at a DIY shop) and use those monoprice faceplates somebody mentioned earlier. That's probably the easiest way (or you could just mount an outlet, I dunno).

Candleshire
Dec 16, 2003

weird beard laffo
Updated my gear :D

Samsung 46" LCD 1080p TV

Dell Inspiron E1505 - Stripped down to basic XP Pro, running M-Audio Torq 1.5
KRK Rokit-5 Monitors
Technics 1200 M3d Turntables w/ Shure M44-7 Cartridges
Rane TTM-56 Mixer

Sony DVD Player
Verizon FIOS Motorola Cable Box

Nintendo Wii
Xbox 360 60gb

Sony MDR-V700 Headphones

Just got the mixer and xbox, so I'm super stoked about them!

Here's the first mix I've made with the new setup, in case anyone's interested in some electro: http://www.redplasticup.com/matt/cupcake.mp3

I did't know running the wires behind the wall was a fire hazard!! I was about to do that this weekend!

Candleshire fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 11, 2009

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I don't understand the mounting the tv on the wall right above the tv stand. Is it just so you can say you mounted it on the wall or what?

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kri kri posted:

I don't understand the mounting the tv on the wall right above the tv stand. Is it just so you can say you mounted it on the wall or what?

It also gives you the area on top of the stand for components/decor.

I needed somewhere to put my center channel, for instance.

Candleshire
Dec 16, 2003

weird beard laffo

kri kri posted:

I live in a condo, and needed space for 4ft of audio gear

Candleshire
Dec 16, 2003

weird beard laffo

Local Yokel posted:

My project today:

Before:

During:

After:

Speakers will be going up tomorrow. Actually, about half of them are in place already, but there's a lot of organizing to do.

In the cabinet are: cable box, Onkyo reciever, PS3, Wii, and an extra HDMI to plug into the lappy for streaming netflix movies.

That's really clean.

Where did you get those black end-caps for your hole in the wall?

I was just gonna punch a hole with a drill, but those look much nicer.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Candleshire's is the only one that looks good because of the turn tables. Otherwise it just comes off as "Hurrr hurrr hurrr mine's WALL-MOUNTED!"

Move all the AV stuff to a closet or somewhere else that isn't a foot right below the tv, that's the point of wall mounting! The best wall mount jobs are ones that treat the tv like an expensive painting that's the centerpiece of the room, not just a television that has a magical invisible stand.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Candleshire posted:

That's really clean.

May not be where he got those exact plates, but monoprice.com would be my recommendation regardless.

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Dave posted:

Candleshire's is the only one that looks good because of the turn tables. Otherwise it just comes off as "Hurrr hurrr hurrr mine's WALL-MOUNTED!"

Move all the AV stuff to a closet or somewhere else that isn't a foot right below the tv, that's the point of wall mounting! The best wall mount jobs are ones that treat the tv like an expensive painting that's the centerpiece of the room, not just a television that has a magical invisible stand.

What about those of us with decent speakers? Should we all go to in walls or tiny sats just to satisfy your desire to not see any components? The closest closet to my television is a linen closet about 40' away, and I don't plan on putting components in there, nor do I feel like losing my speakers.

I wall mounted my tv so that I could place my center channel on top of the tv stand, and because I think it just plain looks better.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Candleshire posted:

That's really clean.

You can also buy unbreakable plates at home depot and then drill a hole in them to fit your cables.

Candleshire
Dec 16, 2003

weird beard laffo
I think wall looks better too tbh. I probably would have wall mounted it anyway. What's the use of a flat TV if you cant save space with it

Home depot idea is awesome!! I'll totally check that out after work

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

The Dave posted:

This looks fine, it'll look a little better with something on top of the entertainment center. He did a good job, sorry you seem to be all butt hurt over it.

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

Yeah, I got the cover plates at Monoprice, and the 2 gang boxes at Lowes.

My reasons for mounting the tv are about aesthetics and viewing angle. We typically watch movies reclined on the couch. At the previous height getting comfortable meant propping up your head with a pillow, and feet and dogs often got in the way of the screen. With the extra 14" in height, it's a very natural angle.
This solution allowed me to hide a lot of the cable clutter behind the wall. It allowed me to mount my center channel below the tv at the hieight of my head. At my previous place I had to mount it above the tv. Lastly, that entertainment console is going to be replaced. I bought it on the cheap expecting to use it for a year until I moved and found something better. That was three years ago. I want to get something low and understated, but I can't find anything I like. That said, I think that the mount is a drastic improvement for what I want in the room, and makes the tv more functional for me. I suppose I could have acheived the height by stacking up some books and crap. I guess that would have satisfied the Dave, because he's really upset about this.

That said, I didn't realize there were so many elitist judgmental dickheads in A/V Arena. This is a "Post your AV set-up" thread. I posted my set-up. Several of you hate me for it, because "Hurr, I gots the wall mount". I didn't come in here bragging about how much cooler it was than anyone elses, because I'm the only one that can afford a $28 mount kit. It's clear to me that my budget is way lower than a lot of yours, and I'm fine with that.

I think I'll stick to TFR, where the elitist jerks have a sense of humor.

Candleshire
Dec 16, 2003

weird beard laffo

Local Yokel posted:

Yeah, I got the cover plates at Monoprice, and the 2 gang boxes at Lowes.

My reasons for mounting the tv are about aesthetics and viewing angle. We typically watch movies reclined on the couch. At the previous height getting comfortable meant propping up your head with a pillow, and feet and dogs often got in the way of the screen. With the extra 14" in height, it's a very natural angle.
This solution allowed me to hide a lot of the cable clutter behind the wall. It allowed me to mount my center channel below the tv at the hieight of my head. At my previous place I had to mount it above the tv. Lastly, that entertainment console is going to be replaced. I bought it on the cheap expecting to use it for a year until I moved and found something better. That was three years ago. I want to get something low and understated, but I can't find anything I like. That said, I think that the mount is a drastic improvement for what I want in the room, and makes the tv more functional for me. I suppose I could have acheived the height by stacking up some books and crap. I guess that would have satisfied the Dave, because he's really upset about this.

That said, I didn't realize there were so many elitist judgmental dickheads in A/V Arena. This is a "Post your AV set-up" thread. I posted my set-up. Several of you hate me for it, because "Hurr, I gots the wall mount". I didn't come in here bragging about how much cooler it was than anyone elses, because I'm the only one that can afford a $28 mount kit. It's clear to me that my budget is way lower than a lot of yours, and I'm fine with that.

I think I'll stick to TFR, where the elitist jerks have a sense of humor.

What up, TFR buddy.

Would you mind explaining how you did it all? or is it pretty basic?

I figure I'll just need to drill two holes, install the covers and then fish the wires through - right?

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

Candleshire posted:

What up, TFR buddy.

Would you mind explaining how you did it all? or is it pretty basic?

I figure I'll just need to drill two holes, install the covers and then fish the wires through - right?

Hiding the cables was pretty simple. I used a stud finder to mark the studs while I was hanging the tv, and checked that there was no wiring in the gap between the studs (not all sensors do this).

I figured out where I'd want the cables coming in & out. The orange boxes that go behind he wall have four tiny holes in them to show where you want to cute a hole in the wall. I marked them with a pencil, then connected them with a ruler. I started both holes with a hole saw from a drill (about 2" diameter), then finished the holes with a dremel with a drywall bit. Actually, I would have had my dremel made it through the job, but had to finish the second one with a hand saw and a razor/utility knife.

Mounting the low voltage open gang boxes is cake, they actually clamp on when you tighten the two screws. This is the easiest time to run your cables through. Mine were "two gang" covers. You can opt for single, double, triple, or quad. Two was enough to run 2 HDMI, one component video, one composite video, three dual RCA for sound, the 12 guage speaker wire for my center channel, the power cord for the tv (I know, I know), and the tiny cord for the wii sensor bar.

I ran them by threading them through the top and reaching for them through the bottom, which was pretty easy. One you put the plate covers on this would be quite difficult. I imagine it's also hard when you only have a single gang cover/box.

Then just throw your cover plates on. Once the tv is up, plugging everything in again may be the hardest part because you've got so little space to do it in. I was able to get it to work by using a mirror to see where I was plugging things in.

Oh, and if any of your cords are only just long enough, they'll be too short once you do this. Running the cords/cables behind the wall takes an extra 1-2 feet of length. Cords that are too long on the other hand can be stuffed back into the hole, which is awesome. I love anything that cuts down on cable clutter.

I think that's it. If you want pictures of the process sent me a pm with your e-mail.

I'm working on hiding my speaker cables now, as they looked so clean when I hung them up before running cords to them. I'm thinking of running the cords down from the speakers behind the walls vertically, then stuffing the cord under the baseboard at the bottom. I'm just not sure about the transition between the two. There's not much in this thread between pre wired big money installs, and everything out in the open. I considered those paintable plastic tracks, but they seemed expensive, inelegant, and crappy.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
If you can get into the ceiling (attic or whatever) you can drill a hole in the top plate and drop your speaker wire into the wall, then install banana plug wallplates. Great for surround as I HATE running speaker wire around a room.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

The Dave posted:

It's been said before, but again, the look of the TV mounted right above a TV stand like that just doesn't look good at all. It looked better off the wall.

I think the best way to redeem it is maybe treat it like a table, put a little plant there, maybe a framed picture or a candle or a little dish of something.

I dont think its been said before... what was said before is mounting a tv a good 5 feet off the ground kills your neck and is a mystery to most of us, but mounting the tv on the wall with a tv stand below it has a lot of uses

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Local Yokel posted:

I'm working on hiding my speaker cables now, as they looked so clean when I hung them up before running cords to them. I'm thinking of running the cords down from the speakers behind the walls vertically, then stuffing the cord under the baseboard at the bottom. I'm just not sure about the transition between the two. There's not much in this thread between pre wired big money installs, and everything out in the open. I considered those paintable plastic tracks, but they seemed expensive, inelegant, and crappy.

Just pry up the baseboard to the nearest corner of the wall next to your speaker, and loop the speaker cable over the edge, then put the baseboard back down & stuff the speaker cable under the baseboard. It's not hard, you just need a chisel, a rubber mallet, some patience, a nail driver, some wood putty, and a little paint.

You could do the whole job in an afternoon, trim is easy as long as you're careful. If you've got a doorway issue, you could go up to the ceiling and over, or do the crown molding thing and hide your runs behind that.

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
A quick tip on stud finding that we use at work:

Get a small stack of rare-earth magnets and run them along the wall. They will stick to the nails/screws used to hold the drywall and indicate the stud location. Unless you spend a ton of money on a stud finder, this will tend to be more accurate.

Pluck one from the stack and stick it to each stud before moving on to have a removable marking of all nearby studs. Just thought I'd share.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Tachonium posted:

A quick tip on stud finding that we use at work:

Get a small stack of rare-earth magnets and run them along the wall. They will stick to the nails/screws used to hold the drywall and indicate the stud location. Unless you spend a ton of money on a stud finder, this will tend to be more accurate.

Pluck one from the stack and stick it to each stud before moving on to have a removable marking of all nearby studs. Just thought I'd share.

Well I'll be hosed. That works way better than I thought it would. Yet another use for magnets.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My somewhat ghetto bargain HT setup:

Cinder block speaker stands (These work surprisingly well, I mean they weigh probably 40-50 pounds each so they should. $6 for 4 blocks and a tube of liquid nails to attach them to each other)
Paradigm Atom Monitor V5. ($250 at a local hifi shop)
Onkyo TX-SR504 receiver. ($150 refurbished direct from Onkyo)
Techcraft something or other TV stand, sturdy and not terribly ugly.
Xbox 360 Pro 60GB ($250 on sale at Dell)
Sony KDL32S2010 (I paid $200+$20 for the stand and TV as a display model at work. Original retail? $1399 for the TV.)
Harmony 520 controlling the whole setup.

I'm happy. I'll get real speaker stands when I find what I'm looking for someday. Cables are a mess because I haven't gotten proper length cables, also the wall outlet behind the TV isn't grounded so I have two power strips daisy chained together running to the kitchen into a grounded outlet. Once I add a ground adapter we should be good to go for cleaning up the cabling.

Eventually I'll add a small subwoofer (HSU STF-1 or similar) and possibly some Paradigm Cinema series (Space for surrounds is very limited) speakers as rear and center channels.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Local Yokel posted:

Hiding the cables was pretty simple. I used a stud finder to mark the studs while I was hanging the tv, and checked that there was no wiring in the gap between the studs (not all sensors do this).

I figured out where I'd want the cables coming in & out. The orange boxes that go behind he wall have four tiny holes in them to show where you want to cute a hole in the wall. I marked them with a pencil, then connected them with a ruler. I started both holes with a hole saw from a drill (about 2" diameter), then finished the holes with a dremel with a drywall bit. Actually, I would have had my dremel made it through the job, but had to finish the second one with a hand saw and a razor/utility knife.

Mounting the low voltage open gang boxes is cake, they actually clamp on when you tighten the two screws. This is the easiest time to run your cables through. Mine were "two gang" covers. You can opt for single, double, triple, or quad. Two was enough to run 2 HDMI, one component video, one composite video, three dual RCA for sound, the 12 guage speaker wire for my center channel, the power cord for the tv (I know, I know), and the tiny cord for the wii sensor bar.

I ran them by threading them through the top and reaching for them through the bottom, which was pretty easy. One you put the plate covers on this would be quite difficult. I imagine it's also hard when you only have a single gang cover/box.

Then just throw your cover plates on. Once the tv is up, plugging everything in again may be the hardest part because you've got so little space to do it in. I was able to get it to work by using a mirror to see where I was plugging things in.

Oh, and if any of your cords are only just long enough, they'll be too short once you do this. Running the cords/cables behind the wall takes an extra 1-2 feet of length. Cords that are too long on the other hand can be stuffed back into the hole, which is awesome. I love anything that cuts down on cable clutter.

I think that's it. If you want pictures of the process sent me a pm with your e-mail.

Maybe its just my imagination but I thought most walls were built in such a way that there were bracing studs across all the studs in the wall that would make it nigh impossible to run cables through the wall. See example for details.

Is this only in older construction perhaps? How would one penetrate such an impenetrable force?

Only registered members can see post attachments!