Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TylerC161
Jan 17, 2009
I just realized the horrible quality and awkward placement of my trashcan in this picture, but heres my setup:

(Left to right)

PC (Built by me) - AMD Quad Core Phenom, 4GB DDR2, 750a Nforce board, 500GB drive, ect

TV - Sylvania 42" LCD 1080p, currently running Electric Sheep Screensaver from the PC.

1TB WD External drive

PS3

21" monitor running from my (broken screen) HP laptop sitting below. Its just a Turion x64, 1GB ram, 17" laptop; its a few years old.

For my sound I'm running Lodgitech x540 5.1 The sub is barely visible below the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

King Hotpants posted:

And please don't post in all lowercase.

I used to do that too. It's a bad habit I picked up from my Unix admin days and it took me years to start using uppercase letters again.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Ive posted my system before, but I've made several changes...
Of course I would rather not have the sub in the bookcase, but I don't have room for it anywhere else. The speakers are on rubber feet, so they dont vibrate the shelves at all.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I just wanted to post in here to update on the APC H15 power unit/surge protector. When I posted my setup several pages ago there were a couple of people asking me how I liked it. Well, a few days ago it failed on me in the middle of a movie. Total failure - it wouldn't power up at all, the front LED was flickering and clicking, nothing plugged into it would power up. I called APC and did some very basic plug/unplug troubleshooting and described what it was doing. They agreed that it was hardware failure and setup an RMA for me. That was 4 days ago and today I have a brand new APC H15 sitting in my theater again. The support process was very painless and all of it was based in the United States. While disconcerting that the unit failed this quickly, I'm happy to report that their support is courteous and responds quickly to issues. I'd still recommend the unit to those of you looking for a surge protector/power conditioner to mount in your AV rack.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

GOOCHY posted:

I just wanted to post in here to update on the APC H15 power unit/surge protector. When I posted my setup several pages ago there were a couple of people asking me how I liked it. Well, a few days ago it failed on me in the middle of a movie. Total failure - it wouldn't power up at all, the front LED was flickering and clicking, nothing plugged into it would power up. I called APC and did some very basic plug/unplug troubleshooting and described what it was doing. They agreed that it was hardware failure and setup an RMA for me. That was 4 days ago and today I have a brand new APC H15 sitting in my theater again. The support process was very painless and all of it was based in the United States. While disconcerting that the unit failed this quickly, I'm happy to report that their support is courteous and responds quickly to issues. I'd still recommend the unit to those of you looking for a surge protector/power conditioner to mount in your AV rack.

It's refreshing to hear a story about receiving GOOD support. I'm at a point now where I will pay more or put up with a bit lesser of a product if I know the company behind it is going to give solid support.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
I have the same unit with Rotel's name on the front and love it. Nice to know there's decent support should it crap out...

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
KHP forgive the ignorant question but do you get any sceen movement at all with high volume? Whether from the projector screen or the projector?

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Not an Anthem posted:

KHP forgive the ignorant question but do you get any sceen movement at all with high volume? Whether from the projector screen or the projector?

I have a screen in front of 3 large klipsch reference speakers, and get no movement.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Not an Anthem posted:

The only time I get screen movement is when I have the ceiling fan on super high. Nothing from the speakers.

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot
I'm still in college and this is a bedroom setup, so nothing extravagant - but I love it. I bought the Polks just to be computer speakers at first, but liked em enough to start a little setup for my room. Yes the cabinets are ugly as sin, but its what I have. Gotta keep my clothes somewhere!

Denon AVR-1909
Polk TSi 100's (bi-amped)
HSU STF-2

Samsung 32" LCD. Parents didn't use it anymore so they gave it to me. I don't know much about it besides it doesn't do full 1080p.

proton fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 22, 2009

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
What Comcast box is that proton?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Siroc posted:

Seems like its the DCH3416

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot

Siroc posted:

DCH3200

SpazRobot
Dec 21, 2004
I am Nomad.

proton posted:

I'm still in college and this is a bedroom setup, so nothing extravagant - but I love it. I bought the Polks just to be computer speakers at first, but liked em enough to start a little setup for my room. Yes the cabinets are ugly as sin, but its what I have. Gotta keep my clothes somewhere!

That's not bad at all! I'm a big fan of Denon receivers too.

That whole setup would look a lot cleaner if you just removed the hutch and had your speaker and receiver switch locations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'm going to go for smallest television:

The NAD T761 was getting pretty temperamental so its been temporarily replaced with the Pioneer VSX-915. Speakers are a cheap Polk set, pretty good for the price.

para
Nov 30, 2006

proton posted:

I have that same dvd player, it's pretty nice. That blue light is way too bright though, if you open it up you can pop off the LED and it'll be 100x better watching a movie with the lights off.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
I've always liked the look of NAD gear...

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

TylerC161 posted:

This is what I imagine when I think about other goon's homes.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Ghostnuke posted:

This is what I imagine when I think about other goon's homes.
Really? I think it's alright. It's awesome to see that the Wizard of Oz frequents SA, too.

The usual gooncave is usually a putrid cesspool with an Herman Miller chair, some consoles or an HDTV standing out.

Cornjob posted:

Ive posted my system before, but I've made several changes...
Of course I would rather not have the sub in the bookcase, but I don't have room for it anywhere else. The speakers are on rubber feet, so they dont vibrate the shelves at all.

Doesn't the visual clutter bother you to death? I know that things aren't exactly lying on the floor, but it's got to be annoying when watching movies.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 1, 2009

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I think its the fact that its a basement with pipes hanging out and all light blocked out, and a fridge right next to the chair so you don't even have to get up.

I'm betting there's a poopsock out of frame somewhere.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The thing that piques my interest the most is where the hell the room is placed.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Finally had a chance to clean up around our new place, might as well share the set up.

Click here for the full 2048x1151 image.

The DVDs at the top are just there to get them up off the floor until we have a chance to refinish and paint a corner media shelf we have elsewhere.

Speakers are some old Sonys which I'd like to replace soon. Router, home phone on top of the left speaker. Samsung LN52B750 TV, Motorola DCH-3416 cable box, Sony STR-DE998 receiver (which may or may not have busted surround sound speaker posts, I got the thing refurb'd and I didn't try for surround until recently, hence the pair of Logitech satellites which aren't actually plugged in), PS3, and HTPC.

The whole place is stone flooring and wood, spanish style, and with our leather couches and iron coffee table it was actually pretty difficult to find a tv stand which was a) wood, b) not all modern-y, c) big enough for a 52" tv, and d) had shelving open enough to provide good airflow for the HTPC.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My fantastically ghetto setup:

Sony KDL32S2010 32" LCD $250 floor model special
Paradigm Atom Monitors $250 new from local stereo shop
Onkyo TX-SR504 $180-$200 refurbed from Onkyo
XBox 360 60GB $250 shipped from Dell
Philips DVP5982 $50 open box special from Best Buy
Techcraft $29 floor model special TV stand
Badass cinder block speaker stands (They're secured together with liquid nails)

All told, it is a pretty good setup I think considering that it didn't cost much at all. Some day I want to add a small HSU or similar make subwoofer to it along with Paradigm Cinema ADP surrounds and center.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

DoktorLoken posted:

All told, it is a pretty good setup I think considering that it didn't cost much at all.

I love your speaker stands but god drat sweep your floor.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Looks like paint.

Toshiba 40ZF355
Onkyo SR-606
PS3

Dali Concept 6
Dali Concept Center

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

I still maintain those are the best speaker stands in the whole thread. I would LOVE a complete TV stand/component housing made out of concrete.

Also, I can't believe Faux News doesn't photoshop watermelon or something in behind Obama.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

DoktorLoken posted:

Sony KDL32S2010 32" LCD $250 floor model special
Paradigm Atom Monitors $250 new from local stereo shop
Onkyo TX-SR504 $180-$200 refurbed from Onkyo
XBox 360 60GB $250 shipped from Dell
Philips DVP5982 $50 open box special from Best Buy
Techcraft $29 floor model special TV stand
Badass cinder block speaker stands (They're secured together with liquid nails)

All told, it is a pretty good setup I think considering that it didn't cost much at all. Some day I want to add a small HSU or similar make subwoofer to it along with Paradigm Cinema ADP surrounds and center.

:sigh: seating for one :sigh:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

samoth posted:

Depends on your level of intimacy. :smug:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

samoth posted:

I live in an efficiency apartment. There isn't room for a couch at all. If I want to be around other people I leave the apartment. Also it is paint on the floor from a prior tenant. I like my Poang but if I had room for a couch I'd have one.

quote:

I still maintain those are the best speaker stands in the whole thread.

They literally cost $5 for the set. 4 cinder blocks and a tube of liquid nails.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

ufarn posted:

Really? I think it's alright. It's awesome to see that the Wizard of Oz frequents SA, too.

The usual gooncave is usually a putrid cesspool with an Herman Miller chair, some consoles or an HDTV standing out.

Doesn't the visual clutter bother you to death? I know that things aren't exactly lying on the floor, but it's got to be annoying when watching movies.

Id prefer a cleaner look, but I live in a 750sq ft condo, so I cant put some of that stuff anywhere else. When the lights are off, all you see is the TV.

You think the creepy basement system with fridge and garbage can is acceptable, and mine has visual clutter that should bother me? :raise:

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 15, 2009

chuck2020
Jan 14, 2007
The misses and I finally bought our first house last month, and our builder let us contract a local company to do the A/V set up and roll it into the mortgage. Check it out:

Our TV and components

Custom-cut in-wall shelving unit. It's got our cable box, receiver, PS3, PS2, Wii, and a drawer to hold controllers and such.

And here's the rear view of it.

Our in-ceiling surround sound speakers

A view of the TV with the speakers and sub.

Specs:
tv - 52" Sony Bravia
receiver - Denon AVR-2310CI

Thoughts/suggestions?

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

chuck2020 posted:

The misses and I finally bought our first house last month, and our builder let us contract a local company to do the A/V set up and roll it into the mortgage. Check it out:

Our TV and components

Custom-cut in-wall shelving unit. It's got our cable box, receiver, PS3, PS2, Wii, and a drawer to hold controllers and such.

And here's the rear view of it.

Our in-ceiling surround sound speakers

A view of the TV with the speakers and sub.

Specs:
tv - 52" Sony Bravia

Thoughts/suggestions?

Very nice! I'm thinking of doing something similar next year. How is the heat / airflow in the closet where the components exhaust?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

chuck2020 posted:

Thoughts/suggestions?

That is really, really nice. The shelving unit is slick (although it's a shame you couldn't spraypaint the front of the Wii black or something) and you actually managed to make the TV over the fireplace thing look good. Kudos.

Edit: I also really wish I could do that whole AV rack with rear closet access thing, must be so handy having easy access and room to mess with stuff.

Mako
Apr 22, 2001

chuck2020 posted:

Thoughts/suggestions?

Looks quite nice. I may be the only one with this feeling but the equipment rack on a main wall in the living room is a bit unseemly considering the fit and finish of the rest of the room. Thankfully, i think this could be easily remedied with a simple frosted glass door over it.

I have frosted glass doors on my entertainment center and even IR remotes have no trouble penetrating the glass to the components.

Beyond that if you don't have a logitech harmony one (with ps3 adapter) remote i would suggest getting one immediately :)

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

chuck2020 posted:

Our TV and components

Specs:
tv - 52" Sony Bravia

Thoughts/suggestions?
Have you done much TV watching there yet? How high is your mantle? I'm contemplating something very similar but aren't entirely sure about the whole TV above the fireplace thing.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

Uziel posted:

Have you done much TV watching there yet? How high is your mantle? I'm contemplating something very similar but aren't entirely sure about the whole TV above the fireplace thing.

Yeah be careful about that. My mantle is about 42" high and the bottom of the TV was about 6" above that and we never watched TV much because it would kill our necks sitting on the couch about 8-10' away. We since then moved the TV to a more respectable 24" bottom of TV to the floor and find it much much easier though it cost us in floor space.

I have a feeling in a few years word will spread about the problems associated with the TV above the mantle and people will be less inclined to mount the TV there due to neck strain.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Mako posted:

Beyond that if you don't have a logitech harmony one (with ps3 adapter) remote i would suggest getting one immediately :)

Hey could you link me to one of these please? I've looked at Harmony remotes before but was put off a little since I wouldn't be able to use one with my PS3 due to it using bluetooth, if there's an adapter available though I'll probably pick one up.

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005

Ahz posted:

Yeah be careful about that. My mantle is about 42" high and the bottom of the TV was about 6" above that and we never watched TV much because it would kill our necks sitting on the couch about 8-10' away. We since then moved the TV to a more respectable 24" bottom of TV to the floor and find it much much easier though it cost us in floor space.

I have a feeling in a few years word will spread about the problems associated with the TV above the mantle and people will be less inclined to mount the TV there due to neck strain.

My TV is above the mantle. It is 52" from the bottom of the TV to the floor and the couch is 9' away. I have never experienced any pain or discomfort from watching it nor has anyone in my family. Had the layout of the room been different, I might have selected another location but it ended up working well and looking very nice.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MONDO MEDICALS posted:

Hey could you link me to one of these please? I've looked at Harmony remotes before but was put off a little since I wouldn't be able to use one with my PS3 due to it using bluetooth, if there's an adapter available though I'll probably pick one up.

looks like this is it... http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Adapter-Playstation-3/dp/B00267S7XW

$60 just to convert your remote to handle PS3... I dunno :/ seems like it should be $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannah Banana
Jul 16, 2009

Let me show you the REAL New Deal

MMD3 posted:

looks like this is it... http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Adapter-Playstation-3/dp/B00267S7XW

$60 just to convert your remote to handle PS3... I dunno :/ seems like it should be $20.

This one is a lot cheaper :ssh:

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Wave-Infrared-Remote-For-PS3/dp/B0018MEBFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250470385&sr=1-1

(And yes it does work, I use it with mine.)