Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Siroc posted:

Are you a Sinfonian? Whatup bro! :hfive:

Fall '08 at Omicron Iota, UW-Platteville :banjo::respek::toot:

sterster posted:

Epic setup

Great use of the limited space you have, that looks like an excellent place for movies. What are you using for your HD source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

sterster posted:

Optoma hd20 1080p projector

Glad you see they fixed that for you. Did you have to pay for the repair?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

CaseFace McGee posted:

Great use of the limited space you have, that looks like an excellent place for movies. What are you using for your HD source?

I'm using my PS3 for blueray, just got a new Linksys router that I can use a USB device with as a media server so I plan on getting my external HDD setup as well.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Glad you see they fixed that for you. Did you have to pay for the repair?

Nope, nothing at all thank goodness. It actually wasn't the color wheel ether like I thought. Apparently it was just dusty. I cleaned it out my self with some compressed air before I sent it out but that didn't take care of it. They took 3 weeks to clean it but it works. Also tried talking them into replacing the bulb, but that as you can probably guess was a long shot and didn't happen.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
Your tv looks a bit small against that wall and those speakers, but if you're happy, good for ya. Get something for the walls though!

Ducttapeismagic
Jul 25, 2005

Giggity Giggity Goo
Here's our setup for our first apartment. I took jonathan's advice with the Pioneer speakers. I'm trying to coax the wife into letting me get a sub. This setup is used mostly for TV/movies.

46" Sony KDL-46ex500

Pioneer VSX-920-K
Pioneer SP-FS51-LR
Pioneer SP-C21

Acer Revo
Comcast HD DVR box
Sony BDP-S580 3D Blu-ray disc player

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anyone have any recommendations on a reasonably priced stand for a 46" TV? I just ordered a Samsung 46" LED LCD and I'm having a hard time picking out a stand.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert

antishock posted:

Your tv looks a bit small against that wall and those speakers, but if you're happy, good for ya. Get something for the walls though!

Yeah, it does look small now that I look at that picture again. It's a 42" TV. I bought it like that instead of a 50" because at the time I was living with roommates and it was just in my room. Now I live in my own. Eventually I'll update to a larger TV.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Corbet posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on a reasonably priced stand for a 46" TV? I just ordered a Samsung 46" LED LCD and I'm having a hard time picking out a stand.

I bought a z-line off amazon. Pretty happy with it.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Corbet posted:

I recently picked up this one. Its pretty decent. You have to put it together yourself but its pretty easy. Free shipping too.

http://www.amazon.com/South-Shore-Furniture-Collection-Stand/dp/B00284ASX0/ref=sr_1_46?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1307988106&sr=1-46

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Does such a thing as a low-profile, low-weight UPS exist? I have my TV mounted on the wall, and there's a power outlet behind it. The HDMI cables are run through the wall as well. Everything in the cabinet below is hooked up to a couple of UPS devices. During storms, our electricity will blink on and off rapidly, and the UPS' keep everything on for a couple of minutes.

Everything except the TV. I'd like to find something I can strap to the arm of the TV mount, plug it into the wall, and then plug the TV into that. I guess I can buy another UPS and build a shelf behind the TV, but that's a lot of work if I can find something light that I can strap to mount.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Run power through the wall along with the rest of the cables, plug into the ups you already have? To do this to code, you are going to need an inlet and outlet along with wire rated for in wall use. You can find kits to do this for around $60 - $70. That or buy a 1u (1.75") UPS and zip tie it to the back of your TV. Though it still is going to weigh around 25 lbs. How much equipment do you have that you already have multiple UPSes?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've been building on my existing equipment for awhile, so I ended up with two relatively small UPS units as opposed to one big one. It works well for my purposes. Eventually (probably after the next big round of game consoles come out) I'll replace the stuff I have with a bigger one.

I'll look around for a kit. Shouldn't be too hard to get it to work since I've already got the wholes cut to get power up there in the first place. Thanks!

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Received my mammoth HSU VTF-15H sub yesterday. It absolutely kicks rear end.

Panasonic XR-55
Onix/AV123 Speakers:
X-MTM L/R
X-CS Center
X-LS Surrounds on ghetto stands for the time being.

Future upgrades - receiver, subwoofer isolation pad, acoustic panels and a bigger/softer area rug.

Edit: Add a TV and non-craptastic Stand to that list. So obvious, I forgot to add em.

goobernoodles fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 14, 2011

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

goobernoodles posted:

Good god! That's the overkill version of overkill.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Yeah, I think that you're going to need a bigger TV.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Yeah, I think that you're going to need a bigger TV.

Agreed, it looks minuscule compared to the speakers.

How many inches is it? If it's above 46"... those are crazy huge speakers/sub.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
It's 42"

Dave Thorpe Painting
Aug 9, 2004
Dictator of The World - 2033
My God man. Can we get a comparison shot of something beside that sub?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Mcqueen posted:

It's 42"

Wow, that's pretty hilarious. I thought it was a 26" HDTV/Monitor combo thing from Walmart or something. I would double check the mounting of those pictures on the wall if you ever decide to really test that sub.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Dave Thorpe Painting posted:

My God man. Can we get a comparison shot of something beside that sub?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
im tempted to post my setup as i havent posted it in a while and its gotten even more loving ridiculous. His setup is far from overkill.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

coolskillrex remix posted:

im tempted to post my setup as i havent posted it in a while and its gotten even more loving ridiculous. His setup is far from overkill.

No grandstanding pls. Just post.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Most ridiculous is the guy with the 6.5' speakers in his bedroom at his parents' house.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

- 46" Bravia ex500
- Paradigm Monitor 7s
- Rotel RA-1062
- An Xbox 360 with Netflix
- An old Pioneer Laserdisc player I picked up for $5 at the sally ann. Occasionally used to watch Speed.

Works pretty well. Honestly, I'd like to move the chair but it doesn't fit anywhere else and my girlfriend absolutely loves it, so throwing it away is out of the question. I had a hard enough time convincing her to let me mount the bass traps.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

steckles posted:

Works pretty well. Honestly, I'd like to move the chair but it doesn't fit anywhere else and my girlfriend absolutely loves it, so throwing it away is out of the question. I had a hard enough time convincing her to let me mount the bass traps.

It kinda looks like you get an old woman to sit there and tell you stories when there's nothing on tv.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Made some small changes today. I was mistaken and last time I posted, thats a 37" TV, not a 42". Currently researching/saving for a 55" LCD and some speaker stands that I didn't make at work from scrap wood. I don't think its too shabby for some poor kids, but whatever.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
New TV! LG 55" LED

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Thought I'd show you my new valve amp. Bought it off eBay for $140 and aside from re-soldering one connection it has been incredibly good. Paired it with some Magnat Quantum bookshelf speakers and have the amp running off an M-Audio USB interface through my computer. Sounds absolutely fantastic and I can't recommend it more if you want to power a couple of speakers.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Timage posted:

Thought I'd show you my new valve amp. Bought it off eBay for $140 and aside from re-soldering one connection it has been incredibly good. Paired it with some Magnat Quantum bookshelf speakers and have the amp running off an M-Audio USB interface through my computer. Sounds absolutely fantastic and I can't recommend it more if you want to power a couple of speakers.

Doesn't the non-symmetrical and off-height setup bother you? I'd switch the left speaker with the amp and get something for the speaker to sit on so you have better imaging and balance. How much power does that amp put out?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Anybody have pictures of/or use some sort of LED backlighting on the wall behind the TV. I've heard it helps with PQ (although not too sure how that works) and eye strain.

Any links where you can find them?

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
I have a fairly scrappy setup of 4 LED rods at home on the back of my TV. I can't remember where I got it from, maybe Ebay? I guess the phone pic doesn't do it justice but you can change the colour so its not pink. It supposedly helps a bit with eye strain, but it certainly looks nifty in the dark.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

AzCoug posted:

Anybody have pictures of/or use some sort of LED backlighting on the wall behind the TV. I've heard it helps with PQ (although not too sure how that works) and eye strain.

IKEA - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80192378

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Have you used these? Will they give off similar light like Captain Matchbox's?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

AzCoug posted:

Have you used these? Will they give off similar light like Captain Matchbox's?

I picked up the multi-color ones of these.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119418

They were ok at best. But to be honest you need very specific lights to make sure you do biased lighting properly. This basically boils down to the color of light (which needs to be 6500K temperature) & the background to which you are lighting. These LEDs are properly not going to produce that type of lighting and is thus why I returned mine. In addition to the fact that they are cheaply made and were not very bright. But, you can always check the stats on the light to see if they fall within these specific ranges.

Do they look cool? Hell Yeah!
But I was more worried about producing proper color & picture than anything else. Now, if you can get the ones that change color & intensity to music and that's all you use it for then why not.

Here is some more info on what you would need to do this correctly & why it works.

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ive.htm

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm trying to teach myself some poo poo, so I bought a Arduino box, some wires, and some crazy lights from Hong Kong, and I'm gonna try to build my own AmbiLight to plug into my HTPC. It's....not going well.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

AzCoug posted:

Bias lighting helps with perceived contrast. It keeps your iris from going all over the place due to changing brightness of the display in a dark viewing space which helps black reproduction.

Ever look at a display in the light and thing "man this looks amazing, the contrast and the black detail" then turn off the lights and think "wow what a mess?" Black is a very relative thing, and bias lighting helps control it. It also reduces eye strain and fatigue by giving your eyes a more constant light level.

While Ambient lighting can do this you have to make sure you get the various light settings right, or it will ruin the purpose. That is why you normally just go for the most neutral light you can.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006

goobernoodles posted:

Doesn't the non-symmetrical and off-height setup bother you? I'd switch the left speaker with the amp and get something for the speaker to sit on so you have better imaging and balance. How much power does that amp put out?

The difference in height doesn't create imbalance at all in my opinion. And i actually sit to the very left of the desk so that i'm positioned centrally to the speakers. The sound field is amazing. Vocals seem to come straight out of the lcd monitor.

Amp pumps out 10 watts a channel. Even tested it with some B&W 683 speakers and they sang!

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot
Just moved into a new 1 br apt in savannah. Heres my student setup.

Marantz 2245, Polk bookshelfs (garbage), HSU STF-2, Sony CDP-CX300, JVC XV-BP1 BluRay player, Sennheiser HD600's, and theres a Denon AVR-1909 in the cabinet that isnt being used because its a joke compared to the marantz, even though it does have that handy sub-out port.

Cant decide if I want to upgrade the speakers or get a fancy DAC next.

I don't really care about the TV. Sound is more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmperorBobman
Mar 24, 2005
Well, I'll post the setup at my house. One of our roommates just moved out and another isn't home right now to give me permission to photograph his room (he's a goon, so I guess he can post pics of his room on his own.)

I'll start with the front room. The TV is a 50 inch Samsung plasma. This is a room sees less use than a lot of other places in the house. Oh, and in the four years I've lived here there has never been a fire in that fireplace so there's no real threat to the TV from it.

Here's my roommate's room. It's the same plasma as in the front room. The stuff on the stand is kind of hard to see, but he has a ps3, an older Onkyo receiver, his cable box/dvr, and a rebuilt X-Box 360 that's current task is to stream Netflix. There are also two rears behind his bed that I didn't photograph.

Next I'll take you to the downstairs. This is my bedroom. The TV is a 55" Sony Bravia LCD. I use a Sony HT CT150 soundbar. I had doubts originally about whether it would sound good in my room, but it's performed amazingly for the price. I found a used one for about $80 and I've been extremely satisfied with what it does. I've also got a PS3 and an Xbox 360 for gaming. I also have a cable box and the Blu Ray player that I use for watching movies. I wouldn't have the Blu Ray player if it hadn't come free with the purchase of my television.

This is the room that gets the most use in the house. The main TV is a 73 inch Mitsubishi DLP. It's hooked up to a Sony Blu Ray player, an Onkyo receiver (with an iPod dock attached), and Polk speakers. The sub isn't in the picture. I also missed the side channels so you can't really see it, but the system is 7.1. The TV to the house left is a 42 inch LG plasma and the one to the house right is a 32 inch Samsung LCD. The shelves used to be more full, but we're currently re-organizing all of that stuff. There is also an N64 under there that gets hooked up to the side TVs occasionally.

Here are the backchannels, they're up a little higher than I think is really optimal, but there's never really been that noticeable of a difference from the days that we had them set up more level with the front channels.

Here's the bathroom next to the TV room. The TV is a cheap Sanyo LCD that I used to have in my room and it's hooked up to the cable box in the TV room so that you can keep current with what's going on in the other room. Now I know that the DVR does this function just as well. However, what if more than one person is watching downstairs and suddenly one of them has to poop? Now everybody can stay tuned to the same program. Sadly, this TV is way more useful than either of the side TVs.

We also have a garage TV so that we don't have to stop watching while playing drinking games but that's not really notable enough for me to attach another picture. We also ran cable to the outside near our hot tub so that we can move a TV outside.

Jesus, we have too many TVs.

Edit: Sorry, had to fix that table breakage.

EmperorBobman fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 1, 2011