Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Well I made some changes, I went from this mess:

To this:

Aurora pro bass shakers

DIY speaker kits from Parts Express. I got left right and center channels. Center is hiding behind the cloth under the screen.

Unfortunately our dinner table for the kids is in the room since their play room took up the dining area.

Is there a write up for those speakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Well I made some changes, I went from this mess:

To this:

Great job...the painted wall looks a million times better than the curtains. Since you're obviously trying to keep light reflections down, any plans to replace those blinds with something else?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

mattfl posted:

Is there a write up for those speakers?

These were the lazy man's DIY. It was a bolt together kit here:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=302-783

They have cheaper ones, but I wanted the curved cabinets and Usher drivers. They had an odd ball piano black kit that was half price that I snagged for the center channel.

These are very clean sounding and I'm quite happy with the performance. In the far distant future I'm going to replace my surrounds with the single mid driver versions. Right now I got some free Yamaha speakers that came with a TV purchase that included a receiver with surround kit. They don't sound good =(

Patch posted:

Great job...the painted wall looks a million times better than the curtains. Since you're obviously trying to keep light reflections down, any plans to replace those blinds with something else?

Thanks, the paint made a world of difference in looks and does an awesome job at light taming. I may bring the top black paint out another foot. My wife is Chinese, so it was VERY hard to convince her to change the walls from white. I would have went darker, so this was the compromise. The mother-in-law came by and only said "yeah, these are the types of colors Americans like." Thanks? Hah.

The vertical blinds are killing me, I'd love to replace them with an automated roller blackout shade of some kind, but I really just don't have the money at this point. I was thinking of painting them, but I would imagine that would look like poo poo. I need a cheap idea and I just don't know what to do. I'm very tempted just to remove them and put some limo tint on the windows. But that again might look like poo poo.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Decided to make a mini theater in our bedroom.

Pretty basic setup, but its clean and everything works great.

Panasonic 55st50.
htpc/nas/steambox.
Ps3
Onkyo receiver
Monoprice IR repeater and slim mount
Ebay Led backlight
Klipsch Synergy B20s and C20 Center
Speaker stands off amazon.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
As an owner of a ST50 I am already worried about burn in from that static Windows desktop.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

snuff posted:

As an owner of a ST50 I am already worried about burn in from that static Windows desktop.

Wait, he used a plasma?

Oh God, he did. :doh:

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
You're worried about burn in on a plasma in 2013? Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
The technology has improved but the problems do still exist. I own a GT50 myself and have read enough reports of burn-in to make me a bit paranoid about it. I think a lot of it is luck of the draw with the individual panel you get, though.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

BrettRobb posted:

You're worried about burn in on a plasma in 2013? Sounds like a personal problem to me.

I had no image retention on my 2008 Panasonic plasma. I have it on my 2012 one, it's a real thing and has something to do with the 3D part of the tv reintroducing it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have a 46" ST30 Panasonic and my housemate cranked up the contrast and brightness and sat for 12 hours playing Minecraft. There's still some of the materials bar burned into the screen. It can happen if you're seriously stupid like my housemate is... Just make sure you have screensavers set on EVERYTHING and get in the habit of using the scrolling bar thing whenever you pause something and leave the room.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I figured this might be the place to ask. Due to my landlord selling my house I have to keep all of my poo poo in a bedroom where I will be staying for a few months. So this mean I get to have my entertainment center and my bed in a single bedroom.

When it's just me I don't care so much, but when my girlfriend comes over I need to figure out a space saving seating option. I was thinking of getting those kind of pillow seat back things you can buy for beds, but I don't really like sitting on beds. I thought someone here might have some ideas?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Well, if you're watching x-files you'll know what to do.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Well, if you're watching x-files you'll know what to do.

Solid BHG reference.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

My Bro-Budget A/V setup. Everything was bought on sale. The couch is brand new which is why I took the photo.

TV: TCL 46" this was a black friday deal last year, $180 really good picture.

Sound: Another black friday special from two years ago, Panasonic, it does DTS, fills the room up nicely. The remote poo poo the bed so i'm using an old harmony remote.

Consoles: Usual suspects, PS3, Dreamcast, SNES, X-Box (donating this to the Jimmy Fund in two weeks)

Media: Not seen is a R-Pi and Roku box.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That couch looks super cosy.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
We're about to do a full home remodel and the sky's sort of the limit (within reason) for our movie-watching den. The room isn't incredibly deep so we will just have a sectional in there most likely (no theater seating or anythign crazy) and I'm thinking I want to do like a 60" tv rather than a projector just due to ease of use and not having to wait for the lamp to heat up.

Hoping to find some good clean-install inspiration imagery. This thread has been awesome but do any of you have any outside resources you like checking or pinterest boards or something for A/V setups?

My girlfriend isn't a big fan of my Aperion Intimus cherry speakers unfortunately, even though I just finally found some lightly used 5T towers and a 5C center to match the 5B bookshelves I have that I love. So she's mandating I look for a way to hide the speakers (ie: in-wall speakers). Does anyone have any info on what some of the best in-wall speaker makers I should be looking at are? I know Aperion has these: http://www.aperionaudio.com/new-intimus-l6-iw-in-wall-speaker but it feels like it would be quite a compromise to go from towers to those. Assuming I'm given cart blanche to "make the speakers disappear" what would be the best approach to hide them or put them in-wall without sacrificing too much on sound quality?

edit: looks like paradigm makes some pretty incredible low-profile speakers and in-wall/in-ceiling speakers... they even have in-wall and in-ceiling subs which is crazy. unfortunately, holy-ish, these are pretty drat expensive compared to floorstanding speakers. Here's hoping I can find some sort of architectural speakers that are a happy middle-ground between price & sound quality. That's what I really appreciate about aperion but they just don't have a very wide offering as far as architectural speakers go yet.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 2, 2013

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Projectors "warming up" aren't really a thing anymore. I went with that option because I have my project and screen mounted on the wall, with the screen remotely folding up. Basically, when I don't want to watch a movie, my setup has zero footprint. And I got a full setup (projector, screen, mounting equipment) for about $600, for what basically amounts to a 720p 100" TV. 1080p wouldn't have been much more.

It's something to look into, anyway, you shouldn't immediately write off that option.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

MMD3 posted:

We're about to do a full home remodel and the sky's sort of the limit (within reason) for our movie-watching den. The room isn't incredibly deep so we will just have a sectional in there most likely (no theater seating or anythign crazy) and I'm thinking I want to do like a 60" tv rather than a projector just due to ease of use and not having to wait for the lamp to heat up.

Hoping to find some good clean-install inspiration imagery. This thread has been awesome but do any of you have any outside resources you like checking or pinterest boards or something for A/V setups?

My girlfriend isn't a big fan of my Aperion Intimus cherry speakers unfortunately, even though I just finally found some lightly used 5T towers and a 5C center to match the 5B bookshelves I have that I love. So she's mandating I look for a way to hide the speakers (ie: in-wall speakers). Does anyone have any info on what some of the best in-wall speaker makers I should be looking at are? I know Aperion has these: http://www.aperionaudio.com/new-intimus-l6-iw-in-wall-speaker but it feels like it would be quite a compromise to go from towers to those. Assuming I'm given cart blanche to "make the speakers disappear" what would be the best approach to hide them or put them in-wall without sacrificing too much on sound quality?

edit: looks like paradigm makes some pretty incredible low-profile speakers and in-wall/in-ceiling speakers... they even have in-wall and in-ceiling subs which is crazy. unfortunately, holy-ish, these are pretty drat expensive compared to floorstanding speakers. Here's hoping I can find some sort of architectural speakers that are a happy middle-ground between price & sound quality. That's what I really appreciate about aperion but they just don't have a very wide offering as far as architectural speakers go yet.

Sorry I'm on my phone or I would find a link, but if you want to keep your speakers you could create a fake wall where the tv will be mounted that will allow space for your floor standing speakers and even center channel. There is a fabric you can then attach that would hide the speakers but allow the sound to pass.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

savesthedayrocks posted:

Sorry I'm on my phone or I would find a link, but if you want to keep your speakers you could create a fake wall where the tv will be mounted that will allow space for your floor standing speakers and even center channel. There is a fabric you can then attach that would hide the speakers but allow the sound to pass.

wow, hadn't even thought of that... there IS a dividing wall that the tv will be up against that will probably be cut into anyway for installing some other things, not sure if any of it is structural that will need to be maintained but I'll certainly take it into consideration.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Yeah I hadn't thought of it either until I saw it. I can't find the one I'm thinking of, but this could get you started.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/837848/minimalist-approach-to-screen-wall

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would go the false wall route. The false wall could also be the projector screen. Its as easy as using 2x2 lumber and stretching spandex from the fabric store over it.

Either use in wall speakers, or if possible, build a wall deep enough to put your existing speakers into it, hang your projector screen overtop and enjoy your 100" + screen without any speakers showing.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

MMD3 posted:

My girlfriend isn't a big fan of my Aperion Intimus cherry speakers.

The fact that she is only your girlfriend and she's mandating your speaker placement scares me a little but i'll let you work that out. I love my Aperion speakers and probably wouldn't change them out for anything. I've got some bookshelf 5B's myself and decided to wall mount them and hide the cables. Could you go with something like that? Here's a pic of my setup:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Living like poo poo in my new apartment (will get to tidying cables up eventually):

Really need a center speaker for dialog when playing certain shows/movies.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

bEatmstrJ posted:

The fact that she is only your girlfriend and she's mandating your speaker placement scares me a little but i'll let you work that out. I love my Aperion speakers and probably wouldn't change them out for anything. I've got some bookshelf 5B's myself and decided to wall mount them and hide the cables. Could you go with something like that? Here's a pic of my setup:

well, partner would be a more accurate description, we're buying a house together.

It'd be hard to wallmount the 5T's :D but I could certainly mount my 5B's as rears if we don't have the couch flush against the back wall.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Well not so much a picture of my AV setup but a picture of a few of the components that will comprise it. Currently building a house that will be done next month. AV setup will be in the living area. Needed to do either in-wall speakers or something small for WAF and had read good things about the Anthony Gallo speakers. These will be my LCR and looking at doing in-ceiling for the surrounds.

I think I got the steal of the century! Got 3 Anthony Gallo A'Divas off Ebay for $173.

UPS guy just came and I have them hooked up to an old Marantz 2235B testing them out. I'm blown away that a speaker this small with a single driver can sound this good!

I A/B'd them with my Mission 771s and they honestly come fairly close. The 771s play deeper but I'd say the Gallos are right there as far as midrange and highs.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kloa posted:

Living like poo poo in my new apartment (will get to tidying cables up eventually):

Really need a center speaker for dialog when playing certain shows/movies.

Hello fellow Ashley sectional buddy! I have that couch in my living room. Its held up well after 1.5 years. It smelled off when we first got it though. That went away within a couple weeks.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

jonathan posted:

Hello fellow Ashley sectional buddy! I have that couch in my living room. Its held up well after 1.5 years. It smelled off when we first got it though. That went away within a couple weeks.

It's one comfy couch. I slept on it for a week straight after it arrived.

Mine never smelled though.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

kloa posted:

It's one comfy couch. I slept on it for a week straight after it arrived.

Mine never smelled though.

Too funny, Ive got the same sectional in my AV area. So comfy and looks great too.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

How much is that couch? I've been looking for something that looks liek that, too bad its probably not on amazon

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Ramadu posted:

How much is that couch? I've been looking for something that looks liek that, too bad its probably not on amazon

Its been almost 3 years since I got mine, so I dont remember exactly, plus I was buying a lot of furniture at the time since i had just moved into a new house. I don't recall it being over $1000, but I did buy a big square leather ottoman to go with it so that might have pushed it over. I literally spent like 3 months trying to find something that I liked, so when i found it I didn't care what it cost. Here is the one I got but mine is chaise on the right, unfortunately Ashley doesnt list prices on their site :(

Victory - Chocolate

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Ramadu posted:

I bought mine June 2012 and i want to say it was $900 but if you buy it when they do their holiday sales it'll be closer to $7-800.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
LoL I paid closer to $1400 for mine, but you don't really get a choice this far north. There is also a matching circular rotating love seat sort of thing you can get.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Furniture chat: If you don't mind "cheap" furniture, check Big Lots if you have one in your area. A few people I know have bought stuff from there and they've been very happy with it.

I was just down there and they had a really nice low slung leather sectional and huge ottoman for under $1000 for both (may not have been real leather but it was nice enough to the touch). Someday when I have disposable funds that will mostly likely be a starting point for me.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Here's my HT area, complete with couch pics. TV is panny p65vt30, speakers are def techs

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Finsihed setting up my system last night. Just need to paint, now.

TV: LG 55LA6900
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Fronts: Aperion 5T
Center: Aperion 4C
Surround: Polk TSi 200
Subwoofer: Polk PSW 505

I have the 4T speakers next to the 5T's because I was trying to see whether the upgrade was worth it. It definitely is. The thing that swayed me is that with the 4T's, I had to turn the sub way down so they weren't overpowered. The 5T's kept up nicely.

Both are pretty badass speakers, but I'm going to keep the 5's and return the 4's.

The 5's look better, in my opinion, as well.

Surrounds:

Sub:

Mess from installing:

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

KillHour posted:

Finsihed setting up my system last night. Just need to paint, now.

Looks good, but I think you reversed those two steps.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

niss posted:

Looks good, but I think you reversed those two steps.

Nah, I had to do a bunch of wallfishing, so I wanted to handle the "cutting holes in my walls" part before the "making the walls look nice" part. As you can see from the spackle, I'm not the best with a drywall saw. Taking down the TV and speakers is easy enough for painting.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I'm not one to criticize another man's AV set up, but man, that TV seems to be really high. Won't your neck hurt? Other than that height issue it looks awesome.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ramadu posted:

I'm not one to criticize another man's AV set up, but man, that TV seems to be really high. Won't your neck hurt? Other than that height issue it looks awesome.

I thought it would, but surprisingly, no. You don't really get a sense of how wide the room is in the pictures, and the couch is on the opposite wall.

When you combine that with the fact that the couch naturally leans you back a bit, it's about the same as sitting in a movie theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

KillHour posted:

I thought it would, but surprisingly, no. You don't really get a sense of how wide the room is in the pictures, and the couch is on the opposite wall.

When you combine that with the fact that the couch naturally leans you back a bit, it's about the same as sitting in a movie theater.

Huh, ok. Yeah you're right I couldn't get a good sense of scale. It just seemed like it. Glad its working out for you and I for one am jealous of all your neat stuff.