Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

man thats gross posted:

Can someone tell me if there is any conceivable reason this could not support a 47" television without the stupid rear panel?

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20117674

Supports up to 143lbs, TV weighs 50.7lbs with the stand.

Stand is 66"Wx19"D, TV is 45"Wx13"D.

I would guess that the point of that stupid rear panel is that you should throw out your TV stand and instead mount the TV on the rear panel. That would let you put other stuff on top of the bench, I guess. I wouldn't bother with it, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Juriko posted:

Large TV's also become progressively less stable freestanding, so it makes sense to push it as an accessory even if it isn't really needed.

Good point. If the rear panel is sturdy enough to hold the weight, it would surely be less prone to tipping than a regular TV stand for a 47"-er.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ZeeBoi posted:

I have the same TV stand from IKEA (in black) and pretty much the same receiver (dimension-wise) and I'm too scared of stuffing my receiver down there, simply because there's no breathing room above.

How much headroom would it have? An inch or so is probably more than needed, really.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

jeff8472 posted:

I think Onkyo recommended something like 8" of open space over their current receivers

I may have misread his post but he didn't explicitly say he had an Onkyo. If it is one, yeah, they are known for running pretty hot so be careful I guess.

vvv I was talking about ZeeBoi.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 29, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

sterster posted:

Optoma hd20 1080p projector

Glad you see they fixed that for you. Did you have to pay for the repair?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

wtfmoses posted:

Just finished this.

Very smooth looking and tasteful indeed.

That sofa doesn't look like it has sufficient support for your neck, though, when watching a TV mounted that high up. Looks like you'll need a recliner. =)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

jonathan posted:

It's not actually very high. I took the picture with the camera low to the ground. The bottom of the TV is about 4' from the floor, and the top is about 6.5'.

6.5' is actually quite high as TVs go.
Ideally, unless you have a huuuge projector screen forcing you to do it, you don't want your eyes lower than the middle of the screen when seated in viewing position. This is to avoid having to look up, since you can easily develop dry eyes (or a sore neck) when doing so.

Edit: I know I'm an ergonomics taliban. I just don't see the use in mounting your TV that high when it would have been so easily avoided in your case. Actually, it seems even THX has opinions, like you should not have to look up more than 15 degrees to see the top of the screen.

Edit 2: I'm putting this poo poo in the FAQ. It seems like every month there is someone posting a TV above a fireplace. (jonathan: You're hardly the worst example of this, don't worry. You'll be fine.)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 5, 2011

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TDD_Shizzy posted:

I recently built a light kit for work with Arduino. Followed this tutorial:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/adalight/

Looks awesome! Where do you work that you need one of these? =)

I wonder how it would look with my yellow wallpaper ...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

danbanana posted:

Turntable: Technics SL-1400

Does it work well for you to access the turntable when it's in the media center like that? Looks like it would be hard just getting the dustcover off.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Edit: Never mind.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ShaneB posted:

It is, but it's a single "unit" that was designed that way. At least it appears to be.

Looks like '60s design. Anyway, it's awesome!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Truman Sticks posted:

Found a nice little stand from Best Buy for $100 earlier today, so now, after a little bit of furniture rearranging, it looks like so:

Cables are still messy in the back, but maybe I'll worry about that later. I had considered one of those TV stands with the spine, but the only one I found that looked any good was online and there was some problem with the metal bars on the back that would block the power cord on my model TV. Thanks for the help guys!

A definite improvement! Looking pretty nice already.

Like you say, shame about the cables. The easiest fix might be a sheet of plywood spray painted black, which you screw/glue/nail/tape on to the back of the stand. Then cut some holes behind your components to let the cables out on the back side. That way, you don't get the black cables on white wall background.

Edit: Yes, I realize that the design of the stand is intentionally open, to give a "light" or "floating" impression, and that my suggestion would totally ruin that. But I think it would be an improvement. You may want to just get some velcro instead.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 19, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

cubicle gangster posted:

It's not lined up properly

What is not lined up? The screen? The projector? The center speaker? I think it looks fine - except that I hate when people take pictures with a slanting horizon.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TraderStav posted:

Can I put my Onkyo receiver on its side or does it have to sit horizontally?

I never tried, but I think it should work. There are no moving parts, right?
Just make sure there is plenty of room for hot air to escape out the vents in the top.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Timage posted:

Moved house. Bought new furniture and topped off the system with a Velodyne subwoofer.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

savesthedayrocks posted:

I didn't really know where else to post this, but those of you that mounted your TV's above your fireplace, how far away did you put your theater speakers?

I have a cubby that is built to hold a tv over the fireplace, but I'm not sure where to put my speakers without damaging them from the heat.

Don't do it man, you'll hurt your neck watching that thing.

Edit: Here's how to space your speakers properly, ignoring the fireplace issue.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

Input your viewing distance etc. Looks like the front speakers should be at a 22-30 degree angle from the TV for optimal listening.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 30, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Throwing out the DLP will let you put your components under the TV rather than in front, so that will already save you tons of floor space. I'd also much rather have the TV on the wall behind where your current one is, but if you can't put the components somewhere else, you'd still be stuck with some piece of furniture on the floor, so don't bother wall mounting. Get a good AV stand that will fit all your components, and put the new TV on there.

But first of all, clean the place up and hang some loving curtains, your living room looks like the most bachelor place around.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

They look great!

What do they sound like? I would have assumed that speakers that old would need to be at least re-foamed?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

the nicker posted:

Finally done and happy with my setup, wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought it would be.

Onkyo TX-NR414
Aperion Intimus 4T and 4C front/center.
Polk PSW10
Some other Polks that were part of my HTIB are mounted up as surrounds, don't recall the model.

Nice living room!

I guess you don't need to watch TV during the day anyway, right? =)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

iluvpr0n posted:

I wonder if anyone has experience with wireless surround speakers (or making regular surrounds wireless)? I just moved into a new rental apartment and my room layout makes wiring rear speakers tricky (at least in an attractive fashion). Are there good enough options out there? I see a couple products like this Rocketfish wireless adapter thing, but my searches aren't turning up a lot of other choices.

For reference, here's my basic setup:
  • Samsung 46" LCD
  • Denon AVR-1913 receiver
  • 10 year old Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 setup (I switched out the non-powered sub it came with for a sub many years ago - I think a Polk)
  • HTPC with optical out for sound, HDMI for video
  • PS3 for DVD/bluray

It's not going to win any awards and I'm OK with that. I have a vintage stereo system in another room for music listening - this is mainly for TV/movies in an apartment building, so I can't blast it.

I wonder about getting an adapter to plug into my teeny surround speakers so I can mount them and be done with it. Or getting some cheap (under $200) wireless speakers to use? Or should I just ditch my crappy 5.1 speakers and get a soundbar for a few hundred bucks and live with not having "real" 5.1?

If you can live with mounting that adapter on the wall, and it's convenient to route a power cable to it, I guess go ahead and let us know how it works! I always try to convince people that wiring two long speaker cables around the room is often no more difficult than wiring a power cable, which is a lot thicker and more visible, to the adapter, and then two shorter speaker cables. Also, the power brick for that Rocketfish thing needs to sit somewhere.

I was lazy and just ran white speaker cables around the room on the top of the baseboard (around a door opening), and I don't even see them anymore. There are much more fancy ways to hide them, if you can remove the baseboard for example.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 4, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

I love how new TVs have such narrow bezels. It looks very futuristic, and makes a nice contrast to the fireplace.

Does the fireplace work, or is it just decorative? Do you get cold winters?

As an aside, how common are fireplaces in the living room in North American houses? It seems like this thread is full of them.
Over here in Scandinavia, only old houses have them. Nowadays, people tend to install a closed stove/wood heater instead, because open fireplaces tend to "leak" smoke into the room, and also let most of the heat out through the chimney.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

amenenema posted:

I've got a pair of Infinity Primus 150's and an older Denon 5.1 channel receiver. It doesn't do HDMI, so I've got a Panny plasma with a Chromecast and not much else hooked to it and then optical out to the receiver. Any suggestions for a next upgrade? One of those Polk PSW10 subs is tempting, but I'm not totally sold.

Are you getting actual surround sound out from the TV to the receiver? Many TVs will only forward stereo audio on the optical link, which will let you do ProLogic "fake surround" but not DTS/DolbyDigital. (The receiver usually gives some indication about the audio format currently received.) If you do get full surround sound out (some high-end TVs do provide this), then you might also consider upgrading with a center speaker and/or surrounds!

Yes, a subwoofer is also a great upgrade, if you live in a house or have cool neighbours.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 7, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Wow, is wood paneling back in fashion? You better watch that stuff, dude. Once that trend is over, it's gonna be hideous again like it was last year. Better hope it doesn't take 35 years to come back into fashion...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Scrapez posted:

Putting a rug or rubber footings under the stand might dampen the vibration a bit.

That might also amplify the vibration. Replacing the stand with a huge slab of concrete should do wonders, though.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bonobos posted:

I'm wondering if the random power outages over the last few years are somehow damaging my equipment.

You're still wondering, you say... I guess that's a clue - nothing has apparently happened. Why fix a problem that doesn't exist?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

pastis posted:

Since we're about to sell the house, I guess it's now or never if I'm going to post my setup.

Epson Powerlite 3500 3d 1080p projector
Monoprice 106" multiformat screen
[...]
I'm gonna miss this place.

You sunk a bit of money into that setup. Will you be able to take anything with you?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Disco De Soto posted:

Is this the best place to ask for recommendations on home cinema setups? I'm looking for the best bang for my buck on a projector, screen, sound system. I heard the Epsom 3020 is good for the price, but I really have no idea.

I guess a ballpark budget would be under $2k for everything but maybe that's unrealistic. I'd appreciate any advice!

Projectors:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3667435

Audio equipment shopping advice:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384469

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Legdiian posted:

Receivers don't convert HDMI to component.

Edit - You would need something like this :

http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETHRS...mi+to+component

Luckily, a lot cheaper than a receiver!

Which he'll still need to get, to use the wired speakers. Oh well.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

n.. posted:

Back when I had a similar setup I put the center channel inside the fireplace.

I hope it was made of asbestos...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Falco posted:

Doesn't this require Spotify Premium though?

Possibly, but how could anyone stand using the free version?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Slight derail: Is that an AC unit in your fireplace? Is that normal where you live?
What if you want to build a fire?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Definitely do this.

Just moved into a new place and now half my equipment is balanced.

Wait. I just understood your joke. "Balanced" indeed.

Probably should secure the TV to the wall or screw the stand into the mantelpiece somehow.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

I'm sure music sounds better in the dark, too. Why else would nightclubs have such dim lighting?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

How often will you actually use that electric fireplace? I'm assuming you don't need it for heat since you're considering electric.

Unlike someone who just bought a finished house where the fireplace happens to be prominently/inconveniently placed, you seem to still have the option to just skip it. I'd just put the TV down where it ought to be, at eye height. As it is, whatever you do about the center speaker, your TV is going to be mounted too high for comfortable viewing.

I've never quite understood the need some (American?) builders seem to have, to place the fireplace in the exact spot where any family after 1958 would want to place their TV.

There seems to be plenty of space to the left to put an actual wood burning stove/fireplace if that's something you really want, but you might need to spend a bit on getting the chimney up to code and connecting a stovepipe in from the side.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Drolet-1000-sq-ft-Wood-Burning-Stove/1000107149

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 30, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ynohtna posted:

One of the regulars who attends my gigs is deaf in one ear and can't afford an implant. What a sacrilegious scumbag, how dare he disrespect my art!

As long as he doesn't insist that using mp3 compression is murder, I'm fine with a deaf person enjoying music.

Rollins' listening room looks like it could be fine if he just pulls down the curtains. The sofa is too close to the back wall, though.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

And I'm leaving for a PAL country in six months so there's no point in upgrading now.

I thought that only mattered for analog TV? I mean, even if your new country broadcasts digital HDTV at 25 Hz instead of the 30 Hz that you're used to watching, I'm sure the receiver in your TV can handle it.

I'm not saying you need to upgrade a 4 year old TV, god drat, think of the environment etc. But if you want UHD, and you're moving to a different continent, why would you move a freaking 65" TV, when you could just sell it and buy a new 65" UHD TV in Europe or wherever.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

On the other hand, amps with higher levels of THD, producing a sound at a specific db, will sound 'louder' because of how our ears perceive the sound.

There's a lot to psychoacoustics, not least how everyone seems to have learned that "distorting = loud". Drunk kids will crank it till it distorts, then they seem happy. I'm sure it applies to any stereo purchaser. Hypothesis: Buying more headroom is likely to make you play louder! Discuss.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

jonathan posted:

The JTR 7 speaker surround system "This system doesn't need a subwoofer as it already has 14 15" woofers."

I was going to say something about ridiculous audiophile speakers, but those actually look like they were designed to be visually non-intrusive, which gets my instant approval.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

KozmoNaut posted:

Contrast with Anthrax at Copenhell 2014, where the (probably stone deaf) sound guy just cranked everything to 11. It was painful. I can't remember if they used Meyer Sound PA at Copenhell back then, but you have to make an effort to screw up so badly, no matter what the system is.

Don't get me started on Motörhead's PA sound in the late 90's. Tech must have been near deaf. Distorting a bit but mostly just cranking the treble up so high you could have your jewelry cleaned by wearing it to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Yep, did this years ago but not until after I'd had a really scary experience where I was sure I'd caught permanent tinnitus.

That Motörhead gig did sound perfectly fine if you put in the cheapo yellow foam earplugs that the venue handed out at the door. They remove about 80% of all treble...

Anything you can find at the drugstore around 10$ or more should be fine, though, and if you want to go up range, the sky's the limit. My custom molded ones were quite dear. The selling point is that they are super comfy and won't ever fall out. You can find ones with equally "transparent" filters much cheaper (the "christmas tree" shaped ones, with several flanges).