Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

1. Take TV off of wall, cut 2" hole in drywall with holesaw bit
2. do the same with the speakers at the base of the wall where it meets the floor and one somewhere behind every piece of equip. you have on the wall.
3. Snakeskin every wire so that the end of the snakeskin is INSIDE the wall and 2" from the connector.
4. For the love of christ run all your wires inside the drywall and not everywhere OUTSIDE the drywall.. the way you have it looks ENTIRELY like poo poo and you technically haven't re-wired/re-routed a goddamn thing.

If you worked for my company and left something looking like that.. you'd be doing one of two things.

1. Re-doing all the Rhino Liner in all the work vans
2. Sitting at the Unemployment line.

Plus what about the heat from the fireplace? Thought I would mention that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Wow, and I just dusted!

Cat Hair =(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stares At Floor fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 31, 2009

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

falz posted:

What's the thing next to the Popcorn Hour?

Oh, that is a 1TB Mirrored RAID, USB. Holds all the movies, audio, etc...

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Omegaslast posted:

are those dahlquist speakers?

Indeed they are, DQ-28. I love em. Got em for $500 shipped! The woofers were re-coned shortly before I bought them

Stares At Floor fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 28, 2009

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Omegaslast posted:

theyre an interesting looking speaker underneath the huge grill shroud thing that i usually see them with.

Yeah my grills are warped and chipped. I suppose I could be bothered enough to hammer them to shape and spray paint them, but they're kinda neat looking the way they are. Want some close ups of any part of them?

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Acc-Risk posted:

Mr. Stares at Floor. I'd like to point out that the 555 II is one of my favorite amps of all time. I ran one for many years along with a 545 and aside from losing a transistor on the input stage, it really took a lot of abuse.

Good stuff!

Yeah I love Adcom amps. I would love to get my hands on another 555 for outdoor speaker use, but kind have to get a house first for that. At some point I'll have Adcom powering the entire system, and just be using the Elite for processing. Not sure what I'll do with the Carver, maybe make it a subwoofer or something.

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Some things have changed since I last posted:

Equipment list:

• Pioneer SC-05 AV Receiver
  • Adcom GFA-555 II for fronts
  • Adcom GFA-545 II for rears
  • B&K Components ST-260 for the center channel
  • Velodyne CT-100 sub
  • Dahlquist DQ-28 fronts
  • Eosone 2 way tripole surrounds (not pictured, can post pix if requested)
  • Audiosource 2 way center channel speaker (to be replaced soon, for now it does the job)
  • Popcorn Hour and 1 TB external - UPNP device, streams HD content from the external
  • Marantz DR700 CDR - I don't use the CDR functionality rather I have this for serious CD listening
  • IBM X-41 Thinkpad - Windows 7 runs iTunes, connects to server for audio, can also surf, Boxee doesn't work too well though.
  • 360 - games, plays DVDs
  • Dell 32" LCD tv (to be replaced with a Pioneer Elite soon!)

The whole shebang:

B&K ST-260 for the center channel. This amp is unbelievable. Although not designed to be a center ch amp, it functions superbly as one. Also pictured is a Pioneer Elite SC-05, the entry level model of the SC series. I bought this mainly for the surround processors and the preamps. The SC07 and SC09 models have bigger amps but the same surround chips. It is really an incredible receiver that is able to work wonders with my weird room.

Adcom GFA-555 II powering the front L/R. Sounds great with the Dahlquists.

Adcom GFA-545 II driving the rear surrounds. Also pictured is a Marantz DR700 CDR which has an amazing transport.

Dahlquist DQ-28, a high end "time correct" loudspeaker. They sound phenomenal paired with the Adcom. On the downside they aren't that great for rock/metal. That's cool though as I'm looking to buy a pair of Klipsch for that.

Xbox and G4 Cube. Cube works, but it's there for decoration only. I'll probaby move it at some point coz it's kind of awkward there.

I'll edit post with more pics in a few...

Stares At Floor fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 26, 2009

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

It's barely noticeable in the pictures but the backs of those cabinets are open. Heat is a real concern of mine and I've been monitoring this setup closely for awhile and it seems to be ok. Although I live in a apt. complex so I can't really crank it for extended periods of time. When I get a house next year I'll probably have to add a fan or two.

Adcoms are notorious for running hot.

Stares At Floor fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Yalc posted:

my old (11+ years if she was still alive) Pio Elite died a year ago from a heat stroke, I assume, with less breathing room. I replaced it with a 94TXH a couple years ago, and these are amazing receivers, nice to see someone else getting as much joy as I do out of theirs. I can't wait till I can amp my speakers, I think you just gave me a goal for next summer.

Did you ever run it without the amps? if so did you notice any difference in the ICE amps?

At one point I had the center channel driven by the Pioneer and it sounded fine. However once I switched to the B&K the difference was immediate. That isn't fair though as B&K is in a different class than the Pio.

Additionally, I ran the center and the rears for a time off the Pio and I didn't hear anything obviously wrong, although I didn't do any real critical listening. I can mention that even at relatively high settings for extended periods of time, the Pio didn't get very hot while you could cook an egg on the Adcom. Very efficient, those class D amps!