Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I have a simple set-up question and I figure this thread is as good as any, seeing how everybody here seems to know their poo poo. I have a PS3 and my PC hooked up to my monitor and as of right now, I have to unplug my speakers from my PC into my monitor when I want to have audio on the console and vice-versa for PC. Here's a sweet visual I made:

As you can see, my computer is hooked via DVI and my PS3 via HDMI, hence having to switch the speaker's aux cable around. As a cheap fix, I was thinking of getting a splitter for the speaker cable and hooking them each up to the monitor and the PC via male-to-male aux cables, like so:

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Would there be any quality degradation and if so, would I even notice? Also, what are some more elegant solutions I may have not thought of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ah, yeah my monitor can only do one HDMI input, which is why I'm using DVI for the PC.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Silly me, another reason I use DVI is because my graphics card doesn't sport an HDMI port. With that said, will my messy fix (as illustrated by the expertly-crafted images above) work? I don't see why not but I'm not a pro when it comes to a/v hook-ups.

Basically as long switching between the two is a matter of changing the source on the monitor, it'd work for me. As of right now, having to get off the chair to un-plug and re-plug my speakers has been a surprisingly effective deterrent from playing PS3.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yep, that definitely looks like it'd do it. Ehh at $50 I might just deal with moving my lazy rear end off the chair, at least until my tax refund comes in.

Would you care to enlighten me as to why my "solution" wouldn't work? Not that I don't believe you but rather I'm genuinely curious about the "rules" of audio cables and why the idea isn't feasible. I'm probably missing something pretty obvious as the most intensive work I ever do with wiring and routing audio involves my Roland drum set, which is mostly self-explanatory.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ah, that makes sense, thanks! Well, a more exciting option is to upgrade this monitor to a larger TV with more inputs, and getting a DVI to HDMI adpater for the PC. With tax refund season here, I might just make that jump instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
As I'm on a monitor, it only has one audio output and the speakers have the one input. Likewise, the computer has one audio output so the speakers are either connected to that port or the one on the monitor (when playing PS3).

On that note...DVI wouldn't carry sound would it, even with the HDMI adapter? That sort of messes with my plan. Do msot TV's have an audio input these days which I can connect to my computer's audio jack and route sound that way instead?