Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

USNews: Biden approves $735M weapons sale to Israel

Brozekiel posted:

Dude, so much about these pictures is awesome and wrong at the same time. I'm not sure how I should feel...

Wrong? I dunno, it seems pretty aiiight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

jonathan posted:

In your last image, you still have your terminals bridged which means you aren't bi-amping. If you remove the gold bridge, it will then be bi-amped. Then your woofer will be powered independently of the tweeter.

I was going to say, "Hey, it looks like you didn't pull the bridges off" but then I figured that if he was bi-amping, then he knew what he was doing and maybe that gold-colored rectangle wasn't a bridge after all.

coolskillrex remix posted:

Hes likely not bi-amped only bi-wired

Either way, those bridges should be off.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

coolskillrex remix posted:

Well seeing as bi-wiring is purely aesthetic leaving the bridges on or off doesnt change the performance of the speaker at all.

Good point. I figured it as a safety thing before realizing that was stupid.

Ok Comboomer fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 29, 2012

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

MMD3 posted:

so where in the hell do I find mid-range A/V Furniture?

IKEA has some really nice looking/solid stuff if you know how to look for it. I'm a big fan of their BESTA and BESTA BURS lines, which run between ~$150 and ~$850. They definitely look a lot nicer (and are built more solidly) than the stereotype particleboard stuff that you'd see at Target. A lot of the components are modular too, so you can build a wall unit or what-have-you to your specs or mix and match colors and finishes (glossy wood/glass doors/red foil/etc.).

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/11794/?pageNumber=0

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

I'm just about finished helping my parents set up their new family room system:

For scale: The plasma TV is 59". I'm sort of shocked that Samsung would make such a weird size, but it's 3D and looks wonderful. Also my dad got it for a grand total of $850 (about 50% off) since it was a recently discontinued floor model.

The console (consoles) is a pair of Ikea Besta cabinets side by side with a combined width of 94". The only reason I bring up all of these measurements is because the whole setup is a lot bigger than it first appears in the picture. The white walls and lovely lighting make it difficult to get a sense of scale, but it's all really quite massive in person.

The center speaker is an Infinity that's about a decade old at this point and the R/L fronts are the new Audioengine P4s. I think they look and sound fantastic for the price ($250/pair) and are probably the best alternative to more expensive speakers for somebody who's after sound quality and snazzy looks. Not pictured are the subwoofer, rear satellites, and a second set of speakers wired to the back patio.

In the lefthand side of the image you can see the TV that was just retired. After 12 years of unflagging service, our loyal Mitsubishi 55" rear-projection was finally put out to pasture (craigslist). It's full HD (1080i) and was purchased back in 1998, so you can imagine the beaucoup bucks my parents dropped on it at the time- which is why they waited so long to replace it. Frankly, there's nothing wrong with it as a television outside of the fact that it has no HDMI inputs and is absolutely enormous (about 4 feet deep and 5 feet tall).

Apologies about the gross carpet, mess, and bare walls. The room is still very much a work in progress and the plan is to have the couch refurbished/reupholstered, get the old TV out of there (obviously), redecorate, and eventually put in some hardwood floors.

Inside the console are an Apple TV, Modem/Airport Extreme, PS3, Xbox 360 (mine), Wii, Pioneer receiver, and DirecTV DVR box. Everything's hooked together via a Logitech Harmony remote and Harmony Link iOS app/receiver (both of which I kind of despise right now).

I'll see about posting my own setup when I move into my new place in a couple of weeks.

Ok Comboomer fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 17, 2012

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

metachronos posted:

What kind of entertainment center is that? It looks nice.

Really? It's in the post right above yours:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The console (consoles) is a pair of Ikea Besta cabinets side by side with a combined width of 94".

I posted about the Besta line a few pages back. There are lots of different looks that you can get by mixing and matching different components (like tops, drawers, doors, etc) and the end result can range from basic veneers to glossy futuristic glam and looking sort of cheap to actually looking quite fancy and high end if you decide to go for a wall mounted built-in look.

The build quality's still around what you'd expect from a relatively inexpensive Ikea product but not bad- definitely much, much better than some of my previous experiences with their stuff (and I've always liked Ikea). The cabinets are designed to take a lot of weight and punishment and the showroom we picked them up in even had a display model that had been repurposed as a storage bench that felt sturdy.

We used a pair of ~25"x47" cabinets with Vara glass doors, glass countertops, and a set of metal legs.

More than anything, the big thing is just cost. When you're looking at TV consoles, the cheap ones (and even a lot of the more expensive ones) just look hideous. Anything even remotely approaching the look my parents wanted (very very long, not too countryish, none of that exposed metal girder bullshit, no looking like it came from Best Buy) started at over a grand and usually cost a lot more. This total piece of furniture cost less than $400 total and is 7 feet long. I'll probably go with a Besta thing in my apartment.

Ok Comboomer fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 17, 2012

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

EC posted:

I can't tell from the pictures (I'm on on my phone and can't zoom in) but wouldn't those cabinets restrict airflow to your consoles? Even with a 360 slim and no back on my entertainment center, it would freeze sometimes. Since moving it to the top, no more freezes.

To be honest, it has been a concern. Despite my protests to the contrary, my parents were very strict on covering the back of the cabinets as much as possible, so the three (out of four) sections that we allocated for holding electronics have paired ventilation/cable holes in every shelf behind the requisite devices- except for the shelf holding the receiver which has a whole panel cut out for easy connecting.

The Xbox doesn't worry me too much. Like I said, it's mine and I'll be moving to a new city after the summer. It also almost never gets used and the PS3 doesn't seem to be having any heat issues. In fact, my cousin played Fifa 12 for about 6 hours straight this afternoon without any problems.

It's been a very limited amount of time so I can't say anything for sure yet. If it becomes a problem, I'll probably see about mounting some computer case fans to the back of the enclosure, as that's helped friends of mine in the past.

Also, one note on putting holes in the Besta: Welp, for those of you who've complained about lovely flat-pack furniture quality in the past, Ikea finally went and did it. Gone are the days of cheap cardboard backs that you could easily punch a cable through if you needed it (much like the $20 Target bookcase I had in college). They have some serious loving paneling there now and you WILL need to use a drill (one with a hole cutting bit) and/or a tremendous amount of patience to get through it with any semblance of order. I also recommend you make your holes before putting the cabinet together or you will have a lot of sawdust to clean out of it.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

I like the decal on your macbook pro. Where's it from?

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

MMD3 posted:

I'm still looking for a decent turntable/record stand. Something along the lines of this but hopefully a little more modern.

Has anyone seen anything similar in somebody's setup? Looking for actual stands I can purchase online or even inspiration for something I can build myself if the design is simple enough. just needs to be able to hold some records vertically and be a big enough footprint to set a turntable on top.

I personally think that turntable/amp/receiver combos only look good on more substantial pieces of furniture. I see stands like that in pictures every once in a while and they always look so cluttered and top-heavy with A/V equipment stacked up on top of them.

I think urbanoutfitters.com (ugh) has a bunch of stands like the one you posted, though- in metal and wood. They cost around $50-$300 IIRC.

I'm currently a few weeks away from moving- and when that's done, the first thing on my agenda is replacing the faithful old IKEA Expedit 4X4 with something a bit more interesting and "grown up" (although I'm going to have to move the bulk of my LPs to another, bigger Expedit elsewhere so I haven't outgrown them entirely).

My ideal would be a proper vintage midcentury credenza- unfortunately, those are just far too large and far too expensive for my space. So, I've been looking at ideas for building/modifying myself a turntable console:

http://sjotime.com/portfolio/lp_stereocab/

Something like this would be fairly easy to put together for a lot less than the $1200 that this thing costs.

My other big option is going all "IKEA hackers" on a Besta cabinet. The taller of the two cabinet sizes is relatively close to ideal with some added legs.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/11794/

(I've posted some pictures of various Besta combinations- including the one I set up in my parents' house- previously in this thread. I'd recommend going to an actual IKEA store if you can, you'll get a much better idea of the sort of thing I have in mind if you see the cabinets in person.)

Ok Comboomer fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 24, 2012

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

89 posted:

Jurassic World, however kind of sucked in 3D. Although, I had really lovely seats on the far right, front row..

That wasn't the 3D's fault.

Guardians of the Galaxy is a lot of fun in 3D, if you're looking for other fun blu-rays.

That happen to also be Marvel/also star Chris Pratt.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

I will fight someone to the death over this. I'm a guy who loves his home theater, and I would sooner watch movies on my phone than harm that fireplace in any permanent way. The thing is from the 1800's and built like a rock. I also actually use it.

After I broke up with my wife, found out WAF is more important to me than it ever was to her. I'm not turning my formal living room into a man-cave, damnit.

Also, it looks way worse than it is. You're looking up at maybe a 15 degree angle, and probably slouching way the hell down on the couch anyways.

Edit: Old TV for reference:

I'm sorry, but this is a really, really unattractive setup. I know that you think you're preserving the "formal living room" and I hugely respect that, but you're actually breaking a ton of design and aesthetics rules, in very bad ways. Your desire to keep the TV over the fireplace is actually making the room give a different impression from "mature, well-thought out living room." It looks pretty bachelor, tbh.

The placement of everything- the TV, the speakers, the chair- looks completely out of whack and awkward on that wall. It simply can't work there and you need to find another place to put them.

If you moved your setup one wall to the left and maybe put your TV on a unit (so now the fireplace is to your right if you're watching TV), and put a tasteful shelf or picture up where the TV is now, your living room would look substantially classier and more grownup.

You could move the chair from next to the fireplace to directly across from it. Or have two chairs there with maybe a small table between them.

Alternatively, you could swap the couch for a big wraparound if you want the best of both worlds of fire and TV time.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

Okay, first of all, you're telling me to put a 65 inch tv in front of a picture window that takes up the entire wall. You're also telling me to put a couch in a place that will block both my dining room and my foyer. Trust me when I say there is no other place I could possibly put a TV.

Secondly, I already said I like it there. I'm not looking for decorating tips.

I asked for ideas on how to mount a speaker.

Sorry dude. I guess the room itself just plain sucks for this, but I understand the limits.

As for the center channel: I guess put it where it fits? Ideal placement would be either directly above or below the TV, as in-line with the R and L channels as you can possibly get it.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Have you considered a projector with a roll down screen to come down in front of either the fireplace or the windows?

Or moving your TV arrangement to a different space? There's no reason you can't have a nice living room/study in lieu of a separate office and a TV room elsewhere. Unorthodox, but not unheard of.

I'm kidding, really. My vote is for putting the center speaker on top of a stack of tasteful books or whatever on the hearth in front of the fireplace opening. You'd obviously have to move it out of the way and to the side when using the fireplace, but it keeps the speaker from getting gross and it's probably the easiest compromise.

I'm sorry if people are being lovely but we really are trying our best. Your house just wasn't designed with 21st Century entertaining in mind.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Cable management sucks so I don't do it For real I should buy a bunch of velcro straps and some channel for the cables.

....The TV is on top of a bunch of board pieces for optimal positioning. Ikea's lamp shades never stay straight when you keep turning the lights on and off.

This is still one of the most tastefully put-together rooms in this thread, especially over the past year.

Major props for at least endeavoring to make it an inviting space.

And the Preludes are gorgeous.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Do you have any suggestions how to raise the tv without wall mounting?

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/00280939/

Might wanna go ahead and add a turntable to that setup as well.

Ok Comboomer fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 26, 2015

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

sellouts posted:

The curtains and lamps make that room. I wouldn't have really noticed the tv or speakers had it not been the AV setup thread.

That's largely because he put a modicum of thought behind making the room look like a tasteful and cohesive space.

Just going through the trouble of putting up curtains and accent lamps at all is more than can be said about a great many of the living rooms that have been posted in this thread over the years.

My girlfriend and I thrifted/inherited/IKEA'd the vast majority of our apartment and AV gear too. Goons love to overestimate how much money and effort it takes to make a home look better than a bachelor hovel.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

sellouts posted:

The room forces them to not do any of that, ok.

They don't come here look for advice or anything

The best are when somebody posts like $5 grand worth of AV equipment and computer poo poo and rest of the room looks like it was stolen out of some college sophomore's off-campus apartment- and then they huff about conspicuous consumerism or smug metrosexuals when people comment on it.

I think that the environment in which you consume your media is as much a part of your AV setup as the TV and receiver and all the other gadgetry.

EC posted:

I'm having a hard time understanding why this would be an issue? Floating TVs look cool and free up the top of the entertainment center for fleshlights and anime figs tasteful decorations (or in my case a turntable).

Yeah, I don't get the hate for those either. And if you have a projector screen, wall mounting over a credenza/AV unit is often the best looking option available.

Floating TVs don't look bad and they're hardly in the same league as doggedly putting a TV in a space where it doesn't fit or turning your light bulbs into speakers or whatever other dumb poo poo people want to inflict on their homes.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

sellouts posted:

Something that seems to fit with $1500 worth of bookshelf speakers. So maybe it's $1000?

If the Parasound A23 is the best option, cool. Others have it in my office with the same speakers and it's nice enough.

Volume: I'm in an office, so I will have it loud enough to listen for imperfections of masters on all formats, but not so loud that the bullpen outside of my office hates me.

I'm a big fan of Yamaha's new A-Sxx/xxx series of 2-channel integrated amps (apologies if the mobile site is wonky for you, I'm phone posting from the brake shop waiting room).

They did an awesome job of taking the circuit tech and timeless aesthetics of their 1970's CR-xxxx series and bringing them into the 21st Century and adding things like DACs and optical/USB capability.

Also, if you google the amps individually you'll notice that they all sell for anywhere from $200 to $600 less via other online retailers than what Yamaha charges on their site.

I'm sure a Peachtree of some sort would also look nice between those KEFs.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Updated to 4K way earlier than expected... drat you PS4 Pro!!

65" Samsung KS8000
Onkyo HT-S7800 receiver and speakers

Nice deer! My partner and I just bought that same TV too- it might be the most expensive single item that we've bought together now, outside of our shared lease.

It was tough to choose between that one, the similarly ranked Sony, and the $2k Vizio P-Series one that everyone recommends.

Ultimately, spending a few hundred less meant that we could also buy other cool things for our apartment- like an Audioengine B2 for the bedroom.

Ok Comboomer fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 27, 2016

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

I just saw that Visio P series for like $1000 at BestBuy as a Black Friday deal. If they had that last year when I bought my Samsung, I would have totally gotten that instead.

No way dude. The lowest I saw it for was $1799, unless you're talking about an open-box or Super Secret In-Person Only Doorbuster Deal that nobody else heard about.

Maybe it was a clearout of the 2015 P-Series?

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

$1500 =/= $1000 , but that's definitely a sweet deal and the cheapest I've ever seen that particular TV.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Animale posted:

Speakers are Dynaudio Emit M10s and the center is the corresponding center. The tv is 32", old and from like 2008, I need to update but I don't have space for something too huge. In the cabinet I have a Denon x4200, an xbone, wii, PS2, and PS3 and my sub which is a Waterfall Highforce 1. The record player is a Rega RP1 w/ perf pack that I got for nothing when Insound went under. All Art is by James Jean. Booze is all stuff people have left behind.

Nice setup. Where'd you get the cabinet?

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Animale posted:

I did a little updating. The biggest thing is I changed out the TV to a Sony 940e and got a PS4 Pro and a Switch. I need to do something to place the center above the TV at some point.

Very nice. No idea what your best option could be for the center channel. I feel like putting it on a tiny shelf in the middle of a wall always looks really pants. Putting it on a full-sized shelf with books/etc might be your best option, if itís not too huge.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Rinaldi posted:

I have a future AV set-up in the works. We have a partially finished basement and are considering turning one of the unfinished rooms into a theater. I've budgeted for the remodel but haven't started talking to any contractors yet. We initially were thinking it'd be a fun long-term DIY project but seeing as how we don't have any experience in framing, drywalling, etc and that we want it to actually not look like garbage, we decided to leave some of that up to professionals. So, I'm hoping to get some advice;

Pic from what will likely be the back of the room.

Pic from the front looking back. To the left is the finished portion of the basement. To the right is an unfinished room we are using for storage. That white pipe is for the radon mitigation system.

Yes, it is currently dingy and gross. The stuff on the walls was there when we bought it. The rough room dimensions are 21' x 11.5' with a ceiling that is 7'10" tall.

I've never built a theater but here are some ideas:

-We probably need to frame it. There's piping for our radon mitigation system in the back so we'd need to figure out a way to frame around it but keep it accessible I guess? What kind of stuff is reasonable to keep the rattling down and insulate the sound? I want it to be decent and don't want to sound like a dumbass talking to the contractor. I've read putting rock wool or some other kind of insulation behind the drywall is a good idea.

-The ceiling. The ceiling isn't very tall so we can't really do a drop ceiling. I'm guessing we just do a standard ceiling or small drop and stuff some sort of insulation up there?

-Wiring and lights. Currently there are no outlets, so we'll have to get an electrician to add some. We'd also add an outlet on the ceiling to plug the projector in. We would get rid of those two fluorescent lights and maybe do dimmable rope lights in crown moulding? Maybe wall sconces?

-Equipment - Obviously need a projector, screen, and speakers. I'll worry about those specifics later. I'm thinking freestanding speakers.
In-wall looks better but seem like a pain and I'm guessing not as functional. Would anything higher than 5.1 be worth it? I'm thinking I'll put the equipment rack in an adjacent unfinished room to free up space and decrease heat in the room.

-Ventilation - There are a couple vents in the nearby finished part of the basement, but none in this unfinished room. It stays cool year-round, maybe chilly in the winter but that's what blankets are for. I was planning on leaving it without vents unless the heat from a single projector would somehow cause the temperature to rise to unpleasant levels.

-Seating - A couple rows of comfy seats, probably build a riser for the back row.

So, that's where I'm at so far. Any opinions or suggestions? Does anyone that has already been through the process of building a theater have any pearls of wisdom or warnings of potential pitfalls?

Everyone has given pretty good advice so far (I guess). The one benefit to framing and drywall is that you can use in-wall speakers instead of box speakers- which arenít much of a compromise for theater applications- maybe for hi-fi but it doesnít sound like you plan on retreating to a windowless cave to spin vinyl or do reference listening or whatever. Some solid in-wall JBLs will be more than great. Plus instead of sticking box speakers in the corners/edges of your screen or up high on your walls, you can put them at ear level around the perimeter of the room without sacrificing space or mobility. Lastly, in-wall speakers in the front would allow you to put your fronts and center channel directly behind an acoustically neutral screen, which could then take up the entire wall. The sub would still be a standalone unit, but that can be tucked into a corner (or you can go with two smaller subs in the spaces where freestanding speakers would otherwise be).

Given the space, I wouldnít use anything more than 5.1/5.2 myself with box speakers. Going in-wall and in-ceiling would definitely allow you to do a 7.1/7.2/9.1/atmos/etc without it looking cluttered or becoming a potential crash hazard in a dark room. In that case Iíd paint the walls a dark matte color (doesnít have to be black), put up sound deadening panels and maybe sconces in between the speakers, and forget the blackout drapes (unless you get an uncomfortable amount of light bleed from the doors, and in that case maybe putting a weather seal along the bottom edge might be easier and less expensive than putting drapes on the doors.

Itís debatable if going above 5.1/5.2 is really all that worth it, IMO you start to get into diminishing returns. On a given budget in a compact-to-medium room Iíd rather get a nicer 5.1 setup than one with more speakers that are less nice. Same goes with atmos, TBH- especially if you buy a set of those hideous ďatmos enabledĒ front speakers that purport to bounce sound off of your ceiling. Those are a waste of money, the only way to ďproperlyĒ do atmos is by actually installing/mounting speakers in/on your ceiling. If youíre not interested in doing that, then 5.1/5.2 should be plenty.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Pitwar posted:

4K HDR TV - 55" Sony Bravia (KD55XD8599)
Sound Bar - Sony (HT-CT800)
4K Bluray Player - Sony (UBP-X800)
Consoles - PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Turntable - Crappy Ion Bluetooth one

Post a bigger pic! We wanna see your setup. I like the small portion of your furniture that I can see.

Also- I currently have a 4K TV and PS4 Pro. Iíve been thinking about adding an XBone for its exclusives (lol) and for playing the compatible 360 and original Xbox games that I have. Is the extra cost of the XBoneX worth it or should I save money and go with the S? I have no particular brand loyalty beyond being able to play the exclusives that I want to play or being on whatever platform suits my needs the best/allows me to play with the people I want to play with/looks the best/etc so I could conceivably make it my go-to for multiplatform games. I could buy 66% of a Switch with the savings or a whole mess of peripherals/games but I also want to take advantage of the 4K-ness of my TV.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lovely living room setup. It works great for what I use it for though. I just watch TV casually from 30' away across a granite countertop while making food in the kitchen usually. Sometimes I get to sit on the couch but it's usually late at night so I have to keep it quiet. Either way, it's super nice being able to actually hear and understand what people are saying as opposed to cranking up the lovely TV speakers and everything still coming out unintelligible. Right now the TV uses the Optical out to a DAC that feeds the Rotel RX-1052. The DAC is super lovely though. Sometimes it fails and sometimes it artifacts and sometimes it just makes noise for no reason. Rather than replace it I was hoping to get a new receiver that has optical-in, but It's tough finding anything that can do even close to 100WPC that is less than 5.25" tall.

I found something that fits the bill:
NADm c388 - https://nadelectronics.com/product/c-388-hybrid-digital-dac-amplifier/
It seems like a great amp. 150WPC and it even has a phono input. I presumably can control the volume with my Samsung Smart Remote which is a must, but $1600 is a lot of coin to drop on a lovely living room setup. So is $1200 for a used one.
I could get a c368 for half that but I could also just get a better DAC for like $50 and keep on chugging along with the Rotel.

Here are some options:

1: Keep the current Rotel and add a FiiO D03K Taishan Optical-to-RCA converter for $30 from Amazon. Maybe itís too much like the lovely DAC you already have but a lot of people, including many goons like myself have them and swear by them. In fact my lovelyawesome living room setup relies on HDMI going into my TV, optical from the TV going into a D03K, and RCA going into a stereo receiver and it sounds excellent to my ears.

2: Schiit Modi 2 Uber. $150 DAC with optical, USB, and coax inputs. Pretty aluminum box, probably more DAC than you need but still much cheaper than buying a new receiver.

3: Yamaha R-N303 receiver. Itís 5.5Ē tall so maybe thatís too much for your cabinet but itís also $300 from a bunch of retailers, 100 WPC, and includes wireless. With the money saved you could probably flip your cabinet and pick up something that can actually fit stuff .

4: Yamaha R-N803 wireless receiver. $750, 6Ē tall bigger, better, beefier sibling of the aforementioned with 100wpc. Thereís also the 602 which is $600, but only(?) 80wpc and the same height. I know it isnít ideal, but maybe you could scoot your turntable over and have it and the receiver side by side on top of the cabinet? That would give you many more options. The TT + a receiver/amp would probably just fit within the margins of the TV so you could still put papers or whatever on top of the cabinet if you wanted to.

5: Yamaha A-S501/701 amps. These guys are 6Ē tall but they are $550 and $800 respectively. The 501 is also only 85wpc but maybe thatís enough? 701 is 100. Beefier internals and probably a much better sound than the R-N303.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Replacing that stupid console is unfortunately a non-starter. Otherwise I wouldn't be looking at a $1600 stereo receiver, I'd just get a $500 Marantz from Accessories4Less and spend $1000 on a nice new console that I actually like.

Anything 5.25" or taller is too tall unfortunately. That's the main problem I ran into. I looked at slimline receivers (denon, marantz and yamaha) and they only do like 50-60WPC which isn't even close to enough. I don't listen at high volumes all the time, but I frequently have the Rotel at 75% volume for hours at a time. I'm not so sure a less powerful amp would like that very much. I'm thinking 80WPC is probably the lowest I could go but even then I feel like the amp would have to work pretty hard.

The DACs I mentioned are good options then IMO. Thereís also this 125 WPC amp that just came out (they have a $25 cable that converts optical to HDMI if you need it), but then youíd have to consider a TT preamp and maybe other inputs if you have other gear.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

jonathan posted:

That's why when people ask on reddit if they should be upgrading their amp, I pretty much always just say "Either keep your amp or start stacking inuke 3000's because there isn't really an effective in between option"

10x the wattage is a meaningful amp upgrade.

Agreed, but there are meaningful reasons to upgrade a power circuit that in practice wonít add much volume or dynamic range. Like if youíre switching to Maggies.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Always take earplugs to gigs! If you enjoy music, protect your hearing so you can y'know, hear it later in life!

Musicians earplugs also seem to knock out a load of reverb as well as clearing everything up. Recommended.

I was gonna chime in with this a couple days ago. And as has been mentioned above, people run the risk of playing undistorted and non-ear fatiguing music more loudly than they perceive when compared to a bad mix or lovely speakers/headphones and thatís super dangerous for hearing health.

And if you go to a lot of concerts, the cost of getting some high-end sonically transparent plugs is totally worth it in the face of losing the dynamic range to your hearing.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

That's a gently caress room if I've ever seen one.

for real I half expect thereís a magic wand and one of those mattress restraint strap kits buried in that costco sectional

edit: they got an adorable lil mood candle and everything

Ok Comboomer fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 22, 2019

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

This guy fucks. He's onto something here.

No you see apparently this guy does not gently caress and wants us to know that. There is no loving her sir! Thank you! Please move on!

Edit: unless you meant KillHour. Because then yeah he knows whatís up.

Ok Comboomer fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 22, 2019

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Rinaldi posted:

Echoes In a Concrete Room: My Life in Kink

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Tell me more about this unit

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

AWESOME thank you. To paraphrase from the site, Iím kinda in love with this media cabinet those back plates and secret wheels are loving brilliant.

Pricing seems to require inquiring with a dealer, Iím curious what you guys paid for it?

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Thanks, thatís about what I expected

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Iím the stone accent wall ripped out of a Marriott Suites lobby with a teeeeeeeeeeny tiny drop-in fireplace in the middle of it

are you BeatMasterJ?

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

come at me again.

hire somebody if you canít convincingly do something yourself

this is like when my parents tried ďtilingĒ the kitchen with stick-on ďslate lookĒ linoleum tiles in the 90s

remember watching a marathon of SOAD videos on mtv2 while some dudes finally replaced those abhorrent things with laminate

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Nitpick the couches all you want. Itís what we already had, and Iíll buy something that fits the space better when they wear out

ITS SO WEE!!!

OHMYGOD IT LOOKS EVEN SMALLER WITH THE COUCHES THERE

the couches are fine, btw, and look comfy. I donít think anybodyís nitpicked the couches

BUT THAT FIREPLACE

Like, I get that itís an insert my dude. But that things like 3 feet off the ground and it looks like an oven just floating in the middle of the wall. Like I almost expect a pizza to come out of there

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

Everyone roasted the poo poo out of homeboy for a fake fireplace and half-assed veneer wallpaper, but no one's going to mention my dudes 36in TV above with the 82inch speakers? With the 2 foot thick cabinet and speakers sitting in front of a wall mounted TV so that poo poo looks like it's at the bottom of a well? With the two foot thick cabinet that still doesn't fit any of the components so they dangle out the front?

Feeling really let down right now y'all.

Nah I donít see that. Maybe the components being a bit big for the cabinet but I honestly canít tell. IDK, I had my HPMs flanking my TV for a while and theyíre huge and looked great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

jonathan posted:

Led dimmable pots are in. Tv wired and mounted. Fishing speaker wire next.

Mitt Romney looks so unhappy on that TV.