Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Quick question: I see lots of setup diagrams for stereo have the speakers firing in the exact same direction (i.e. directly away from the wall that they're backed up to) but when I see pictures of people's setups they sometimes have the speakers aimed directly at the listener instead. What's the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dogcow posted:

The nerds call it "toe in". The theory is that since higher frequencies are more directional they should be clearer or whatever when aimed directly at the listening position. On the other hand doing that too much can maybe hurt the stereo separation and "image" a little. It's really just personal preference, try it both ways and see what you like (or if you can even tell a difference).

Thanks duder