Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Here's my beginner AV Setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

are you using those KRK's for front speakers on the TV or just for your gear?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I have noticed not one person here has had a beanbag chair in their living room, what kind of people are you? Just added an awesome orange sumo beanbag chair to my living room. Fiance wanted that color more comfortable than anything in the house.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

keykey posted:

Here ya go, mine is as simple, and apparently as 70's funk, as it gets please excuse the lovely iphone pic, I haven't unboxed my camera stuff yet after the move. 50" Panasonic 1080p plasma, xbox 360, MS natural keyboard for facebook/last.fm lookup, wii with gamecube controller for mario kart and a bose cinemate 2 sound system and bonus golliwog my friend bought back with him from his trip to Australia hanging out on my shelves. Go ahead, begin the skewering for the bose, they are a perfect fit for how small the room is though.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

looks like your house is leaning a little to the right, might want to check the foundation or else everything in those shelves will start sliding :smugbert:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

the Z Series stuff is pretty nice, I have a black glass TV stand from them and I love it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

also thanks for the Cyron link, moving into a newly built apartment soon and might want to put these on my new entertainment center and desk.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

AzCoug posted:

Is there any specific purpose or function to the Cryon lighting or is it more for "looks"? I could see how having them on during a movie, if watching it in complete darkness would take some of the brightness away from the TV. But then again, you're watching movies at the theather in complete darkness...

a lot of people get headaches when going from bright to dark. It's actually supposed to be better for your eyes to have ambient light on.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

modig posted:

Zip ties are the solution.

zip ties are not the solution, velcro is.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

My Bro-Budget A/V setup. Everything was bought on sale. The couch is brand new which is why I took the photo.

TV: TCL 46" this was a black friday deal last year, $180 really good picture.

Sound: Another black friday special from two years ago, Panasonic, it does DTS, fills the room up nicely. The remote poo poo the bed so i'm using an old harmony remote.

Consoles: Usual suspects, PS3, Dreamcast, SNES, X-Box (donating this to the Jimmy Fund in two weeks)

Media: Not seen is a R-Pi and Roku box.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

been awhile since I have updated my setup, I added an HDMI switch (I wish i could have afforded a 4x2 matrix switcher..)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I should have been more clear a matrix. Switcher with cat 6 transmission

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I guess it didn't but that's okay I ended up scraping the idea my wife wasn't too thrilled with two more ethernet runs being needed :negative:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

I found with the hemnes stuff, the equipment fits, but the cords sticking out the back of the receiver don't.

good thing it's particle board and you're a man who owns a sawzall right?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

new TV bench, added some LED accent lights. Too bad my camera phone sucks dick.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

The Dave posted:

Who doesn't love attention being called to equipment and cables?

I already ordered replacement cables, the length on them was too short, but I thought I did pretty well :shrug:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

The Dave posted:

That is some decent cable management, have to give you props there because I'm super lazy with that stuff.

However the point I think everyone else, and myself, are trying to make is all you're really doing with that lighting is calling attention to a bunch of equipment (that isn't super appealing) and taking away from what the main focus should be, your tv.

I can solve this by just saying the wife wanted them because of her eye sight in the dark, but I actually don't mind the look, I also hosed up and bought the flat white LEDs instead of the color ones but IKEA is an hour away and I just said gently caress it :negative:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

HFX posted:

Don't feel bad. I have the same issue with my GF. Are you sure you have enough room around the PS4? Most of the intake vents are on the right side at the bottom and that looks a bit tight.

The PS4 is there for show I haven't actually turned it on awhile.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Looks crestron controlled is that someone's house ?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

poppingseagull posted:

Yup. Crestron is the reason I'm there.

DM 32x32 filled out like that costs more than most cars.

yeah, I mostly work with Crestron installs where I am at right now, we have 6 rooms that have 32x32 and about 5 more with 16x16

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What is all that equipment even driving? Holy gently caress.

i'm going to assume that because it's a 32x32 that rack is controlling more than just that room, I see lighting controllers, multiple amps and the 32x32 is probably spitting into the bedrooms or other spaces.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

But isn't that the point of a home distribution system? They could save a lot of money by just putting the boxes behind every TV and buying an XBox for every room or something.

no the point of a home distribution system is have everything in an isolated area the TVs are all probably being fed by Cat 6

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

is it 4U spacing or is that receiver just awkwardly sized?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

two 27" monitors should be pretty good, luckily they aren't that expensive.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

ddogflex posted:

I just had my living room remodeled and that's exactly what I'm planning to do. I've lived in this house for a year and only had a TV in the basement and bedroom. Above the fireplace is the only spot that works in the living room, but I'd rather not loving have a TV than crane my neck to watch. That being said they're like $600. So. Yeah. Anyone have a recommendation on a cheaper pull-down over-the-fireplace TV mount? :D

Look at Chief mounts

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

GokieKS posted:

To be honest, if that was my house I'd probably put the sofa by the window, and then build an entertainment center console in the middle of the room across from it to put the TV and speakers, making it deep enough to put something decorative on the other side to hide all the wires.

I probably wouldn't have bought a house with such a poorly laid out living room, i'm sure this living room was perfect when listening to FDR on the radio.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

UGAmazing posted:

Awesome--thanks. Yeah I have a 5.1 setup. I'll get on ordering that, then! Would you recommend buying a moderately-priced one over the cheapest I can find? I figure spending $35 or $40 is a safer bet for decent quality than $10-15.

monoprice probably has their own branded one, they are usually pretty good and will replace dead ones if you ask.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

just buy good high quality HDMI cables, 50ft is doable.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

desk is getting a little crowded.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just recently put the finishing touches on my basement office/home theater

went with a Polk 3.1 setup as I don't really have any space or place to mount rears speakers, was going to actually get a screen for this but the BenQ wall color match gets you VERY close and has plenty of advanced color options to further fine tune.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

3000 lumens at 6ft it does a good job at getting you there with a few button presses but it did take some adjusting in advanced menu taking out some additional blue and adding some red. Pretty simple once you throw up some color bars.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Sniep posted:

i mean, I'd still put in a silver screen if it were me, but that's impressive amount of working around to get something clearly not ideal to work

Working in live production you get used to having to adjust color on individual panels of video walls, I was honestly shocked how close the projector got with just setting wall color to blue .

I had planned on getting a screen but wanted to see the sizing with the projector up since it's a pretty tight space, it was budgeted for and everything but besides maybe better contrast I'm not sure I'm going to get much value out of one (plus it's just one other thing for my cats to gently caress up)

Edit: should probably state the projector model is a BenQ th671st

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Very nice, how are you liking the ht2050 I was on the fence with that one and the 671ST