Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

wandler20 posted:

Nearly finished with my theater. Basically just need to finish up the baseboard.

Panasonic 65" Plasma TC-P65GT50
Integra DTM 40.4 receiver
Paradigm Millenia 200 fronts
Paradigm Millenia 20 center
Paradigm in wall surrounds (forget what model)
Paradigm PS1200 sub
Custom XBMC pc
Directv HD DVR
PS3
Xbox 360
Fusion Escape theater seats (http://www.rtheaters.com/FusionCollection/FC-Escape-1019.html)

Behind the wall is a closet to easily access everything. Smartest thing I did.

Dang. I really wish I had an extra room to dedicate some awesome work like this. Really pro. Mine looks like a kids project.

Cross-posting from the projector thread as I didn't know there was an AV setup thread:
The curtains can cover the width of the screen and walls.
I still need to make curtains to cover the tracks as visible tracks look like poo poo.

Curtains drawn. Under the screen is a giant speaker grill that I framed out of 2x2 wood.

Projector and equipment in the back. Mitsu HC9000 Projector. Onkyo TR750 or whatever.

Home made shelf for the projector

I'm also in the middle of a masking system. I don't have a 2.35 screen so I'm masking my 16:9 for 2.35 content. Lenses are expensive for 2.35 screens so I stuck with the 16x9.

It is all hemmed up, I still need to sew it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMQXfRSZmXo

I ordered a new couch, something more appropriate for this setup.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Legdiian posted:

Does the projector let you store different presets for 16x9 vs 2.35? 100% of the masking systems I have ever seen have a top and bottom mask that move in and out.

No presets as far as I'm aware, but I should actually look to see, I just shift the image down with the remote.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I'm very confused at the suspended ceiling and the 2nd floor above it, unless the 2nd floor doesn't go into that area?

Also 18" drivers at 10hz? I really wish I could get away with that with the warden. When she's home I usually have to turn off my 10" Dynasty when I start turning up the volume.

edit: you talking something like this? :stare:

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 20, 2013

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Ah, Ok. I've never seen suspension ceiling in a house, but we don't have basements where I live either.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Well I made some changes, I went from this mess:

To this:

Aurora pro bass shakers

DIY speaker kits from Parts Express. I got left right and center channels. Center is hiding behind the cloth under the screen.

Unfortunately our dinner table for the kids is in the room since their play room took up the dining area.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

mattfl posted:

Is there a write up for those speakers?

These were the lazy man's DIY. It was a bolt together kit here:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=302-783

They have cheaper ones, but I wanted the curved cabinets and Usher drivers. They had an odd ball piano black kit that was half price that I snagged for the center channel.

These are very clean sounding and I'm quite happy with the performance. In the far distant future I'm going to replace my surrounds with the single mid driver versions. Right now I got some free Yamaha speakers that came with a TV purchase that included a receiver with surround kit. They don't sound good =(

Patch posted:

Great job...the painted wall looks a million times better than the curtains. Since you're obviously trying to keep light reflections down, any plans to replace those blinds with something else?

Thanks, the paint made a world of difference in looks and does an awesome job at light taming. I may bring the top black paint out another foot. My wife is Chinese, so it was VERY hard to convince her to change the walls from white. I would have went darker, so this was the compromise. The mother-in-law came by and only said "yeah, these are the types of colors Americans like." Thanks? Hah.

The vertical blinds are killing me, I'd love to replace them with an automated roller blackout shade of some kind, but I really just don't have the money at this point. I was thinking of painting them, but I would imagine that would look like poo poo. I need a cheap idea and I just don't know what to do. I'm very tempted just to remove them and put some limo tint on the windows. But that again might look like poo poo.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Well, if you're watching x-files you'll know what to do.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

AzCoug posted:

Trying to figure out the best way to set this up. The yellow tape is a 65" TV while the green is a 60". I like the 65" better but I don't know if the center channel speaker at the bottom would be too close to the floor. It is about 19" off the floor to the center of the speaker. I could put it above the TV but didn't know if that would be too close to the ceiling and cause distortion etc (The top of that vent is basically the ceiling).

How high is the bottom of the left and right? Because I would lower them and not worry about the TV size. The center can be pointed up toward the seating area.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 30, 2014

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Legdiian posted:

Really? Even the 106 was overwhelming for me the first week or so. I felt like my eyes were darting around the screen constantly. Although now I'm kind of used to it and was thinking 120... but I don't want a screen with holes in it ;)

I'm around 10' from 135. It's fine for 16:9 but I feel like I need a 150" in scope format. You get used to any size.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

jonathan posted:

I'm using spandex, front layer white, rear layer silver. No visible holes, acoustically transparent. My new speaker setup will not be visually appealing. Just flat black MDF so I'd rather hide it.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speakers/88-special/88special-kit.html

What kind of light leak are you getting? I've been thinking of switching to spandex.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Surprise surprise, a thief lives in a jail cell.

What did he do? I just saw his meltdown in the steam gift thing.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Well...
I would put a swing-out rack mount in the fireplace.

gently caress having a fire.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I need pics of this.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
What is all that equipment even driving? Holy gently caress.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I only watch the CG ones in 3D if i ever care to actually do it. Monsters Vs Aliens is always good, plus the bass is kickin' in that one.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
It would be awesome to hear Jonathan's setup. I have dual 15" sealed subs that can move your bowels and pisses my wife off, and I know his poo poo can hit lower and harder.

Anyway, I've been bored so I put some Hue lights behind my screen to illuminate the speakers. Too bad cell phones can't take good pictures, the blue fucks it all up, maybe ill break out the good camera once the setup is dialed in, I'm still messing with placement.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo, is that all covered by insurance? I like those tubes, hopefully all goes well. I've yet to add more subs, I've got the two 15's running through an inuke 6000 that ended up blowing a diode, luckily I was able to fix it. I don't know if I should add two more 15's or add 18's. I've been running sealed since I just like the way it sounds sealed. I would be adding more only for the same reason you're reworking, just to make it cleaner sounding. I currently have no problems melting the floor.

The lights I have are the Hue GU10's. I found some cheap modular track lighting at Lowe's that just snaps together in whatever configuration you need. The problem is the copper in the rails vibrates, so I've been battling the vibration with silicone. So I've got a total of 6 hue lights (3 in screen, 3 overhead) its nice for mood lighting and even putting the disco mode on is fun.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 13, 2016

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

jonathan posted:

It's ironic, because people equate sealed subs with tight musical sound, and ported with boomy disorted sounds only for movies,

however at a big blind subwoofer critique event a couple years back, people picked the high end ported subs as the tightest and most musical over the high end sealed. I believe they chose the ported subs as the ones that sounded like sealed subs. What that tells me is that the enclosure style doesn't matter to sound quality (ie lack of distortion) as much as people like to believe. The enclosure style more effects efficiency and frequency range (and of course, space limitations)

So when choosing a high end subwoofer, The factors should be; How much space am I willing to give up, how low in frequency range do I need, and how loud do I need ?

Edit: yes insurance is covering it short of a rather high water damage deductible. I'm also putting in all new appliances at the same time. The steep price was because of the custom oak cabinets. The lowers swelled, and replacements cant be made to match the uppers, so the entire kitchen is getting stripped to the 5/8" plywood floor and drywall. Also this didn't just happen suddenly, it was a small leak from the dishwasher that has been going on for a long time, and finally saturated everything over christmas.

Which is probably more of why I chose sealed, I've never heard a high end ported just poo poo car ones.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I went with a dark brown as well, my wife says it looks like I covered the walls in poo, but she has no sense of style since she likes everything white with no contrasts.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

emocrat posted:

There is good info there, but the biggest problem isn't even that, its the lack of clear rules and expectations for threads. No one on that forum ever bothers to write a proper OP, so what you end up with is a megathread on a topic, that actually began as a random 1 off question and then spiraled into 200 pages question and passive aggressive answers. Any attempt to request a clear write up just results in being told to read the thread, or being linked to the start of someone else 100 page build thread with the notion, that "this buy had a solution". Its just a terrible place to find single and decent answers, even though all the information is right there.

I have a huge problem with what the mods consider "off topic" when asking a related question about a different device that could technically be cross posted between two threads. So if you do end up asking in the "right" thread nobody can help you, but the "wrong" thread is full of people that can help you.

And with any forum "DO A SEARCH" or "READ THE THREAD" are the most annoying answers since if you actually do a search you end up finding the question in a search and the answer is "do a search." So the search ends up with "do a search" as the result. gently caress YOU OTHER FORUMS FOREVER!

edit: but without some of the people on AVS forum I would have never gotten my projector to show a wider gamut with 4k blu rays.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 25, 2016

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I recently put together a banging 2.1 in the lounge, a 2.0 in the dining and a 2.1 out on the deck for my little sister and we tied it all together with chromecast audios. Works pretty well as a poor man's sonos.

You can cast to multiple units? That's cool. And I'll bet it sounds better than a Sonos.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I just put in some center heights for my Atmos setup. I thought I'd share for those curious on doing the same:

The units:

I decided to build a backbox for better sound and to minimize sound bleed into other rooms:

Cutting the ceiling, and yeah, I was crooked:

Back boxes installed, silicone used for joint sealing:

The drywall that was cut out were fitted with the speakers, silicone was used to seal the drywall to the backbox, and screwed in securely. I'm now in the middle of patching and painting:

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 14, 2017

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Scrapez posted:

Very nice. Quality work. I've been very impressed with my Sonance Symphony speakers. What are you running for the rest of your setup audio-wise?

It's a bit of a mix, but luckily the timber doesn't seem to be too far off with a properly set crossover and LFE point.
The three front mains, sit behind the screen, are Dayton Audio speaker kits from Parts Express with Shure tweeters and Dayton woofers.
These, but with Shure tweets and different stuffing:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs722cck-speaker-kit-curved-cherry--302-973

Two sub kits from parts express, 15" sealed Daytons.

Rear speakers are I think are Pure Acoustics, nothing crazy.

Front Heights are SVS Prime Elevations.

KillHour posted:

Edit: Oh God, I live in GroverHaus.

:captainpop:

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 14, 2017

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Scrapez posted:

Nice setup. I bet those Daytons sound great. I'm very limited in my living room so running 4.1 with Sonance s625t fronts and s624tr rears.

Impressed with them for non cabinet speakers. I will have a dedicated theater in the next house.

The daytons are the only thing I haven't considered switching out in 4 years since I've had them.

jonathan posted:

Going to be doing a theater and bar room renovation soon. Currently the theater room has a storage space beside it that is under the stairs leading to the main floor. This is where I have my $50 plastic equipment rack.

I'm going to be converting to an acoustically transparent screen sitting on the close side of the opening (also going to install a frame and door). Since the entry way to the storage will be blocked by the screen, I'd like to cut a hole in the wall, and frame in some recessed shelving for the equipment, and maybe some dimmable led lighting controlled by a smart hub that fades with the room lighting.

Since all my speaker wiring already is run into that room, this seems like a no brainer. Am I missing anything ?

I'd run extra wires just in case, but you will be loving with it, a lot. That's why I would invest in a swing out.
http://www.cableorganizer.com/computer-cabinets/great-lakes/wall-mount-swing-open-rack-gl.htm?gcssku=QGL-24WMOSR

Also, if you haven't ordered screen material yet, I'd recommend the Rosebrand Microperf. It's cheap for what it is. I'm loving over the cloth stuff.

http://www.rosebrand.com/product341...2bPVC%2bScreens

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

jonathan posted:

The normal standard rack will be kind of weird since I have a router, switch, 5ghz transmitter, nexus player, NAS drive etc, all non standard stuff.

Running more lines is trivial as I have a drop/t-bar ceiling and can literally just toss wire over the wall into the storage room. As for screen material, original 2 layers of spandex 1 white 1 silver was the go to DIY material. I haven't looked into it in 5 years though. I'll check that stuff out.

I had two cloth materials and the patterns in them drove me nuts. The perforations in this material are nice and tight. My eyes are about 10 feet from the screen and the perforations are only noticeable in some high bright scenes, and even then they aren't annoying. Audessy takes care of the high frequency loss and the only time sound is an issue is if you are extremely off axis.