Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

I figure if anyone has an answer, it'll be this group...

Does anyone have recommendations for a good home theater recliner? I'm moving in to a new rental, and building my home theater setup from scratch. I already have an idea for TV and entertainment center but I don't know much about recliners.

Right now I just need a single recliner ( ) although at some point I'll probably add a sofa.

Fortress. Outstanding stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

New minimalist set up for new condo

Should have got something slightly wider but I'm still happy with the look.

Middle section is open in the back for console ventilation, don't fret.

65" LG CX, PS5, Xbox Series X, LG sk9y surround, Google nest hub max, Fetch box (Aus cable) pictured

Howís the Sk9y working out? Iím an LG dealer but Iíve never had so much as a brush with those soundbars.

Itís a really pleasingly tidy, happy look. I wish I could do that sort of thing, but I really end up trying to find a neat way of going high-density within a space. You do it justice.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Had some issues reliably connecting to the subwoofer wirelessly for a bit but it's good now. Sound is excellent. Having all sorts of connectivity issues with the extra back speakers but haven't really had the time to troubleshoot.

Wired systems definitely work more reliably but I don't have the patience for cords everywhere anymore.

Iím strongly pro-wire, but there are times when wireless is the only option. There are a handful or modestly priced, very reliable stereo wireless Tx/Rx systems. If youíre interested Iím happy to share.

Regardless the preceding paragraph, my compliments to how that turned out. Itís relaxing just to look at.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

Violator posted:

Please do.

Any of these devices has its best chance of doing what you want it to do if you keep the transmitter away (within reason) from other wireless devices and you limit (again, within reason) the number/type of physical obstructions between the set. Remember that, even hardwired, Sonos has an underlying WiFi system that cannot be defeated, so you would be strongly advised against setting a Tx on top of or immediately next to one of their devices.

Top of my list and has never let me down is the Atlantic Technology WA-60 setup. Weíve used these in some tricky situations. Thereís a DC rowhouse in which earthquake damage led to the partial severing of one of the 14/4 cables that had been previously run for surround duty. The damage was juuuuuuust enough that with a little bit of volume over a few minutes the receiver would go into protection mode. We did not have the option to re-run speaker wires and the antique (we were not given a choice regarding actual, suitable AV furniture) being used as a wildly congested cabinet meant we were closer than ideal for the purpose of wireless audio transmission. Knowing that cheaper options wouldnít cut it we just reached for the Atlantic Tech and it worked flawlessly from the start. We concealed a small-ish Parasound amp within reach of the left surround/left rear height speakers and used the sensing input and never had another problem again. This row house is in the middle of the worst wireless congestion environment Iíve ever experienced and we still didnít need to resort to the channel selection switches on it. I have, however, been able to use two sets of these in a single system without hiccups by getting physical separation of the Tx units and patiently trying the DIP switch combinations until I had a list of the settings that could work without trouble.

I havenít tried the version that has a digital amplifier built into the receiver side. I imagine the amplification is sound and that there may be a modest penalty (no free lunch) to having the switching audio circuitry cuddled up with the Rx, but itíd still be a lot better than placing the Rx right next to a BT or WiFi device.)

A bit less pricey is the SVS stereo wireless system. Same qualifiers as above apply here, but itís worth getting replacement cables/connectors/adapters (depending how youíre plugging into the Tx and Rx units) because of the inexplicably sloppy fit of the supplied wires. Maybe (just maybe) they know people are going to use their own stuff in 90+% of situations so they keep the accessories as cheap as possible on the assumption theyíll be immediately discarded. Anyhow, even some simple Monoprice 3.5mm cables or adapters to your own cables will provide a much more confident, affirmative physical connection that wonít feel in danger of slipping out at the first sign of a strong draft.

If you can track them down, the Monitor Audio set has also worked well and doesnít have the fitment issues of the SVS. They do seem to have been in short supply since their introduction, so weíve not spent much time with them.