Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

SatanX posted:

For any of those that have never seen theater lights in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot-NSYHzGs0

Is there any specific purpose or function to the Cryon lighting or is it more for "looks"? I could see how having them on during a movie, if watching it in complete darkness would take some of the brightness away from the TV. But then again, you're watching movies at the theather in complete darkness...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Where's the best place to find quality Cryon lighting?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

Isn't that awful for airflow though? I can't find any images of the back of it, does it have one? What usually keeps me from getting something like that stand is that I can't imagine sticking consoles and stuff into an enclosed space. Do people just buy it and cut off the back or drill holes?

I have a cabinet that's enclosed just like that, I have my Denon receiver, cable box and PS3 in there. I was having problems with my PS3 over heating while playing games and watching movies. So I bought 4 of these, http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=2886&x=0&y=0, and put two on each side of my divider (bottom one blowing in, top one blowing out), with an AC/DC adapter and haven't had any problems since. And the fans are silent.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

EvilPsych posted:

that's on my list too. I don't think i'll need 120's, but 80's ooughtta work fine for me.

I had plenty of room for the 120's and for the money and the fact that in this case, bigger is probably better (or at least it can't hurt), I figured why not.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

coldfire07 posted:

The TV should be lower, it'll look better and help you hide the cables some more as well. The speakers should be level with the TV (either top or middle, both would be fine). I find that the most comfortable height for a TV is about eye-level from wherever you're going to be sitting -- less strain on your neck that way.

As nice as wall mounting a TV is, in an apartment where you can't drill holes in the drywall and run the cables behind it, it almost never looks as good as putting the TV on a TV stand like sho-nuff said.

Speaker stands would be cool too because then you can hide the cable inside/behind the metal for the stand.

What he said...

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

jonathan posted:

I disagree, I would rather have a 3.1 system or even a 3.0 system than a 4.1 system. I feel that, atleast for 5.1 channel stuff, the center channel is the most important in the whole setup.

I agree. The center is where you're going to get 90% of your dialogue out of. Unless you have a R or L setup as a "center". Otherwise I can't imagine you'd be getting great dialogue.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

FireTora posted:

Finally got mine all set up the way I want 9 months after I got my speakers up here.

Pretty nice dorm room compared to my old college standards! Subs are always nice for that nice "full" sound, but I can see where it would be a problem in the dorm.

Those are some pretty nice looking speakers for that small of an area, I'm sure you don't have any problems getting the surround sound feel, especially with those rear channels right up in your ear drums!

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Anybody have pictures of/or use some sort of LED backlighting on the wall behind the TV. I've heard it helps with PQ (although not too sure how that works) and eye strain.

Any links where you can find them?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Have you used these? Will they give off similar light like Captain Matchbox's?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

I have a Monster PowerCenter similar to this, http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4445, the other night the power at my house turned off and then on again right away. Everything rebooted, however my Time Capsule has had an flashing amber light ever since. It says the disk needs repair, after some research it sounds like the hard drive is shot.

Has anyone had any experience with filing a claim under Monster's Equipment warranty? How does it work? What are my chances of them covering my Time Capsule? That is the point of these PowerCenters after all...

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Tremblay posted:

I don't think Monster is going to help you. From what you are describing it's an issue with the Time Capsule. If the PSU was fried on that device then you'd have a complaint to make.

Ya, I suppose. Even if I did want to pursue it, it sounded like they were going to make it as difficult at poo poo to jump through all the hoops. To the point where you would just give up after spending 8 weeks without your equipment and paying for freight.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Good looking picture and sounds like you'll have a nice sound system. The one thing that did catch my eye was the light color cabinet to the right of the screen. Seems like it might be a little distracting.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

I have a 65" Vizio and am looking for some ambient lighting to put behind the TV. I believe I've seen some setups with the back lighting behind the TV. What does everyone recommend? Do you recommend lighting on all four sides or just top/bottom, etc.?

Any experience with Lightpack? http://store.lightpack.tv/products/lightpack

What would be the cheapest route? http://www.ebay.com/itm/31087882887...em=310878828877

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Trying to figure out the best way to set this up. The yellow tape is a 65" TV while the green is a 60". I like the 65" better but I don't know if the center channel speaker at the bottom would be too close to the floor. It is about 19" off the floor to the center of the speaker. I could put it above the TV but didn't know if that would be too close to the ceiling and cause distortion etc (The top of that vent is basically the ceiling).

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Aeka 2.0 posted:

How high is the bottom of the left and right? Because I would lower them and not worry about the TV size. The center can be pointed up toward the seating area.

We can put them at any height. What would be recommended? Ear level when sitting down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

bonzibuddy64 posted:

My bedroom.. Kind of underwhelming

A few silk plants on the shelves and maybe a couple picture frames and your set...Put the tape away too, that's kind of an eye sore.