Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010
Well, I set this up mostly as a proof of concept - and I like it. I still need to add some sort of furniture -- all suggestions welcome.

The equipment itself has been, piece-by-piece, put together over the years. But here's a fun and unbelievable story. A couple years ago I was driving around in a relatively wealthy area of my hometown when I noticed a projector lying on the ground by the trash/recycling. It appears that the owners attempted to recycle the projector, but I guess the recycling company couldn't accept it or something (lead?). Intrigued and under the assumption that this was clearly 'trash', I took it. Turned it on, no picture. On a risk - I ordered a new bulb for it. Yup, that was 'the problem'. The owners must have thought it was broken and junked it.

I suppose I'll start it off with the ugly stuff:

The NAS. A 9 TB FreeNAS box in a Raid-z configuration. I've probably had 60 days of up-time with this ultra-stable box and I'm very pleased with its performance. It is noisy, however, and is in a different room than the theater itself.

The HTPC is fairly unspectacular. It is an ugly beast - because it wasn't initially meant to be an HTPC - but it serves its purpose well. Eventually, it will be hidden.

Since the receiver and projector are probably circa 2004-2005, we're not looking at HDMI yet. This complicates things. The HTPC is sending the video via DVI to the projector and SPDIF to the receiver.

An Integra DTR 8.2. I just vacuumed - so I kicked up a bunch of dust.

B&W CM4 speakers and a Boston Acoustics PV500 subwoofer. The subwoofer is purely for show (although it works) as I live in an apartment and like my neighbors.

B&W CMC center speaker. I don't know if this warrants its own picture, but I like the yellow...

I have vaulted 20 foot ceilings, so mounting the projector feasibly is a no-go. I don't know if I'd mount it even if I could - it isn't a spectacular projector.

The HTPC is running, well, Windows...but XBMC. A wireless keyboard and mouse compliment it -- but the Android remote control for XBMC is pretty solid.

Overall, I'm pretty happy that it at least works.

My other toy. Also bitten by vacuum dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010

I know! So hard to mount a projector my brother from another...

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010

Legdiian posted:

I was going to suggest mounting it to the wall behind his couch also, but then I thought he might have an issue with the throw distance and not being able to get the picture small enough.

I haven't done the math, but based on observation, I believe this is the issue -- not so much actually mounting the projector.

Even still, the projector isn't great - so I'm not going to make a full-fledged effort to get it up.