Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Legdiian posted:

From what I understand, putting them in opposite corners might not get you the maximum bass output, but it should improve the quality of the sound.

Low frequency is the realm of room modes and cancellations and is a loving ballache. More than one sub is used to overcome room modes usually, room modes are horrible but now I understand them it's less of an issue. It also explains why the bass was louder in the next room over than the one I used to have my sub in... A curious thing that.

"If there is a 'prime directive' when it comes to sub placement it is this: Never place subs with their radiating planes between 2.5 feet and 8 feet of a boundary.If you do at some frequency the within the 35 to 100 Hz passband, depending on the distance, the reflected wave will be 180 degrees out of phase when it meets the original wave again, cancelling it out."

http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/CancellationMode.htm

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It looks like that stand already has 'cable management' what with the holes at the back and all. It's a laborious task but making sure all your cabling is running the same way through those holes to your various devices helps immensely.

If you can't cut some of that lot down then get with the zip ties and maybeeeee think about pulling any excess underneath the stand and simply blocking up the front of it at the bottom.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

jonathan posted:

She also says we should do dual Tuba HT subs stacked in the corner.

As someone who owns a Table Tuba, gently caress yes you should. I hope your neighbours are deaf or at least have decent home insurance because THTs are beastly. What width you going for?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I have a 46" ST30 Panasonic and my housemate cranked up the contrast and brightness and sat for 12 hours playing Minecraft. There's still some of the materials bar burned into the screen. It can happen if you're seriously stupid like my housemate is... Just make sure you have screensavers set on EVERYTHING and get in the habit of using the scrolling bar thing whenever you pause something and leave the room.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That couch looks super cosy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MMD3 posted:

are there any strong opinions in this thread on which brands I should be looking to for a TV wall mount? It seems like Sanus has some good ones anybody else I should look at? I'm hoping to have something that is fairly low profile but also has full motion tilt so I can point it towards another room to some degree.

These two things are in conflict, low profile mounts usually only have a few degrees of vertical tilt because having any further degree of movement means the bracket needs to be deeper to offer larger TVs the range of movement. If you want something to swing towards another room then you're not going to get something low profile because the centre point of the motion needs to be well away from the wall...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Pop 'em behind the screen and it'll look fine, it's just a bit odd to be highlighting stuff that you don't need to see.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I once installed a surround setup for someone which involved 5 of these:

And two of these:

Needless to say, setting up the audio in that cinema room took me quite a while... :mmmsmug:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

That's just insane overkill. The rear/surround speakers don't receive any bass to speak of, at least not in any recommendation I know of, eg. Dolby, THX etc.

I would have just stuck Beolab 3s as the rear and surround speakers, the experience would have been no different.

Dude had just sold his company for £20million and wasn't about saving cash at that point. We talked him down from a complete surround setup of Lab 5s but he insisted on the other 5 for reasons only known to him. From what I remember he lived in the place 6 months then retired to the South of France. I sadly never got to go check out his new joint...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There's only a few 3D movies I've seen which actually enhance the movie in any way. I saw Mad Max in 3D and it was a blurry mess. Saw it again in 2D and it was loving glorious and this is the reason why I rarely bother with 3D because it varies in quality from cinema to cinema, from screen to screen and putting glasses on to watch it at home is just a loving no-no.

The sooner 3D dies the better.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

A meeting of woofers.

Which of them was sealed in this box? Had to modify Bill Fitzmaurice's Tuba HT LP plans to add a feeding chute.

Just kidding! The dog goes on the outside :mmmhmm:

These horn loaded subs are great, I'm getting really useable response out of 45 watts.

gently caress yeah. I have a table tuba in the same format as that, it has an 8" woofer and has plenty of output at 30hz for film viewing at high volume. Love these designs. I also have a PA kit of his designs and the sound quality considering how cheap you can make them is loving hilariously brilliant.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I could not deal with my screen being that high, it looks like a pisstake of people who have their screens over the fireplace in that it's not actually possible to get a screen any higher than that one is.

...luckily it's not my house though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If I ever get super bored I'll set up my folded horn subwoofer PA kit in my living room and take photos.

thumbsup.gif

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That's the price you pay for engineering and China's finest quality pig iron.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

We've gotten used to bigger and bigger screens, HD images also mean you can sit pretty much point blank and the image is still fantastic which leads to the thought that our screens are too small. I'm maybe 10' away from a 46" and it definitely feels a little on the small side these days. That 'guide' seems a little old school though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Best thing to do is buy the cable and plug it in to your kit before going to the effort of pulling it through walls/under floors...

I say this as someone who was supplied cables that I was told worked but in reality, didn't. I used the lovely cable as a pull wire but it really wasn't fun doing it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You just need to be careful pulling it through places as you can find that on testing it'll work fine but after it's been tugged a bunch through walls or what have you that it doesn't. Some cables are built more delicate than others internally. If it has a fuckload of shielding inside you should be good, just don't pull on the plugs and make sure you tape them over as pulling a 50ft cable through a tiny void is no fun, especially when it emerges and the plug has gotten caught and destroyed itself. That's a mistake you only make once.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I love when people realise JUST HOW AMAZING a decent sound setup makes games and movies. Yeah a big screen is great but if you haven't got something capable of kicking the sound out well you're really missing out.

Looks great, enjoy!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nobody appears to be noticing the fact there's a loving GIANT SUB in the corner. Bill Fitzmaurice THTLP judging from the cut out on the horn there. I bet that thing moves some air at low frequencies judging by how much my T60s do.... Jealous.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

More drivers than most SPL drag cars.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Well that's certainly a thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Dave posted:

The ritual sacrifice of a small TV.

My first thought was also an altar

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Phantom centre.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

jonathan posted:

There are a lot of great songs where the distortion of the song gives it a character that makes it more than if it was recorded clean. Deep Purple - Lazy as a prime example of intentional distortion, or something like the Stooges where it's just the best they could do. I would assume that for someone like him, where many of those records he sat in and watched during recording, there are nuances that probably just sound correct on those speakers. I looked up the speakers and saw a picture of his claimed listening room which is all glass window on one side. Makes me wonder if that's actually his listening room or just promo material for an advertisement for the speakers.

This one?

I imagine with all that music down the back on shelves that it's his.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

via that link...

quote:

Henry Rollins is a long-time musician, host of a self-titled radio show on KCRW and an evangelical audiophile. He leads DnA's Frances Anderton and Rhythm Planet's Tom Schnabel on a sonic tour of his high fidelity audio-equipped home, and doesn't mince words about why we all should all own analog sound systems: "If you're going to listen to an MP3 -- which is sacrilegious -- through those ridiculous headphones through your phone, every band you're listening, you're sticking knives into their ribs, you are throwing them into the curb, and running them over with a truck."

Ah he's one of those audiophiles...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

My 4k tv broke during my move and I was quoted at $1,200 Cdn for repair. :( This is gonna sound super entitled but going back to 1080p gaming is so hard my dudes, even if the backup is a 2014 65". Everything looks so blah

And I'm leaving for a PAL country in six months so there's no point in upgrading now.

...this is your fault for buying a lovely TV in 2014. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

jonathan posted:

Make no mistake, very loud but low distortion music can be worse because ear fatigue is less noticeable at first. Your ears actually become less sensitive for a bit and you can crank it louder and louder without feeling the pain.

Until you go somewhere quiet.

My PA was built to be as distortion free as possible because I'm one of those guys that hates having to wear earplugs due to shrill as gently caress tweeters and massively overdriven signal chains. System was tested in a 250 person venue for one of our club nights, it was 116db at the back of the room unweighted, RTA'd flat. A few tweaks were made EQ wise to taste and then the DJs came in and cranked it more. A drummer friend of mine complained it wasn't loud enough (all drummers are deaf) :v:

Whether it's worse for your hearing or not to have low distortion really loud, all I know is it was loving fantastic to be in a room with music playing really loud and not have it feel like someone was taking razorblades to your eardrums from the moment you step into the venue. The amount of joints that have a stack of kit, just plug it in and crank it is unreal, there's far too many badly set up systems out there and as a music lover it's depressing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

they're not used to clean, distortion-free PA. Which is a goddamn shame.

Systems set up to sound like really a big hi-fi with a bunch of bass are my jam.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Always take earplugs to gigs! If you enjoy music, protect your hearing so you can y'know, hear it later in life!

Musicians earplugs also seem to knock out a load of reverb as well as clearing everything up. Recommended.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That room owns and looks super loving (ha) cosy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I work in AV at a university, I've seen a LOT of broken LCD screens. Broken a few myself too, it's really not hard to do because a lot of chassis are very flimsy these days, particularly when they're larger as you have a lot more leverage. That's a weird break though, it's not an impact and panels themselves are reasonably flexible, we had one come in from our conference department that was literally curved like a banana and it still worked perfectly (the fully metal chassis was not a curved one to begin with!). That screen looks like it has had a sharp shock from say lifting one corner sharply while it was laid flat... If you didn't do that then it wasn't you. If you did do that then hope they have mercy on you (blag it!). Either way it isn't actually your fault the chassis has the structural integrity of a boiled noodle and broke installing the stand like it tells you to. Ideally you want the screen laying on it back with the bottom section hanging off a table, but that only helps if the feet attach directly to the bottom. If they attach to the back then you have to place it face down which means you then need to pull at weak corners to lift it and that's where consumer grade large screens are most at risk because they're plastic.

Get it sent back, not your fault.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 14, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I imagine face down is to spread the weight but they haven't thought that they may need to change the instructions on bigger screens with loads more leverage on flimsy casings.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The way some companies deal with stuff is ridiculous, what a nightmare... Glad you got sorted with a new one though.

And flat against the left wall let's you flank it with a nice set of floorstanders so your sound matches the picture in terms of quality... :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Projectors these days (commercial at least) are coming with so many options it's great. My work runs the big Sony lasers and the brightness on them rules, instant start and the image adjustment on them is crazy good. The image warping for those awkward setups is a godsend.

That setup looks great, nice work.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I need more plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I imagine those are press to open doors. Give them a prod and they'll pop open enough for you to grab the door.