Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

sterster posted:

Trying to show some detail of the screen for 1080p goodness but camera doesn't pick it up that well.

Holy crap, it looks like it picked it up fine to me. I can't believe how bright and clear that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Dave Thorpe Painting posted:

My God man. Can we get a comparison shot of something beside that sub?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I've still got a bit more wire cleanup, new wall plates, and I've got to dig up my N-64 which I've somehow misplaced, but my system is basically done. My apologies for the poor lighting.

Front view:

The furniture is from Ikea, two six shelf units side by side and two media storage shelves, one on each side. The center channel is held hovering over the tv by two steel corner brackets, each rated to 200 lbs and connected to the wall/beam by four inch deck screws.

The main speakers are the Pioneer FS-51s and the center is the C-21. The TV is a 50" Samsung from a couple of years ago.

Left side:

Left three shelves: Dreamcast stuff, Gamecube/Wii stuff, and Guitar Hero/Rock Band stuff. Next three shelves: DirecTV HR24 DVR, PS2, Saturn.

Right side:

Second shelves from the right: Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver, X-Box, empty space where my N-64 should be. Last shelf: PS3, Wii, Dreamcast.

Sub is the BIC/Acoustech PL200. To the right is the nine month old reason that it's taken this long to put my system together. :)

Looking back:

The rear speakers are also from the Andrew Jones Pioneer line, the BS-21s. They are on Sanus stands that turned out to be the perfect height, they put the speakers about a centimeter over the back of the couch.

The DVR, PS3, and receiver are wired to our home network by both a Linksys router and a gigabit switch. The room obviously has lots of issues and there's still a bunch of tweaking to do, but all in all, I'm very happy with the sound. The receiver is feature packed, but the DLNA is a bit on the wonky side; it locks up for no apparent reason occasionally. Also, my Harmony One is having issues dealing with some of the receiver's controls, so there's that. We use the PS3 for Blu-rays and Netflix, and all but two of the consoles are running through the receiver (the missing N-64 and the Saturn). I might run those two directly into the TV, though neither is a priority since I haven't played them in forever.

None of the components (not counting the TV) were over $400. The sub was $285, the receiver $380 (refurb), everything else was even less.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Fnord posted:

Nice setup but, if your nine month old boy is anything similar to my nine month old boy, you are going to have your hands full constantly playing goalie with all of your equipment and cords. I don't even want to think about the destruction my boy would cause in that room. That is why everything I have is wall mounted now.

Yep, the only thing that is keeping me from walling the whole thing off is that my boy is lazy and isn't crawling yet. But you are correct, if there's a cable visible, he will go straight for it. We're planning on using some sort of portable screen to block the area off. There's a narrow space between the lounge part of the couch and the sub, so I think we'll try putting it there.

Corbet posted:

How are you liking the Pioneer FS-51s? I'm tempted to pick up a pair.

I'm liking them. I'm still experimenting with various modes and dialing in the sub, but there's no question they are a bargain at that price point. They are spectacular with movies and TV. I haven't listened to enough music yet to give a final word, but they seem good in that department. I apologize for not being able to give a more helpful response, I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you a technically oriented review and I'm not a big enough rear end in a top hat to give a typical audiophile review (Luscious highs! Lugubrious bass with delicious mids!). I'll pop in and give more detailed impressions once I've had more time with them.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

wtfmoses posted:

Just finished this.

Pictured: Samsung 8 Series 55" LED LCD TV
Velodyne Speakers and sub

Working on an HTPC solution and supporting alternatives etc. PS3 and Xbox + receiver in the cabinets.

As the great Beavis would say, "drat that's smooth."