Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

One thing that I did with my last HT was install crown moldings and then I could run wires behind them almost anywhere and everywhere without having to dig into the ceiling. Won't work for every room/situation though obviously. Can also get fancy and install LED strips which I think is a really neat effect.

I'd do this with my current HT room but the room is really pretty lovely and not conducive to a nice HT. House shopping right now (probably moving to a different city half an hour away) but houses in NV nearly universally lack basements. Which means that 2% of houses have a room that's actually good for a projector, 5% have a room that is roughly equivalent to what I have now, 5% are worse but maybe serviceable, and 88% are total crap and basically impossible to have a projector in.

http://www.creativecrown.com/Indirect_lighting.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I prefer the old "hide all your poo poo behind a piece of furniture" technique

I prefer the "There's no way this is going to not look like poo poo unless I start ripping into drywall and it's a HT it's supposed to be dark anyway" technique.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sniep posted:

They do sell proper window blackout blinds that A) block all of the light, and, B) look good

They sell curtains that will block 100% of the light and look good but unless you superglue them to your drywall they won't actually block 100% of the light.

Probably the best way to deal with really problematic light is buying 8'x4' "Insulfoam" type poo poo from your local home improvement store and covering the window with it. And then putting blackout curtains over it.

Really would only matter with projectors though, not a regular TV.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

is this the top of someones bald head

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

eddiewalker posted:

Couple things: the basement is well-insulated, but has no heating or cooling. (We redirected all of the basement ducting to the vaulted room above where more service was desperately needed)

As a result, its a perfect 73 down there all summer, but low/mid-60s in the winter, so a 5000BTU electric unit sounds like a great cheap way to take the chill out as needed. Plus, Iíve already got a hole in the wall. Seems worth using rather than losing floor to a stove.

Second, the room is very short, just barely 7ft, so I donít think the TV is really as high as it looks in that picture. Center would be maybe 60Ē

I donít think thatís quite miserable front-row height, but I didnít realize the aim was supposed to be for eye-level.

I suppose if I chisel out the bottom row of white fire bricks, I could move the electric insert down a few inches. That, plus moving the center channel speaker to the top could bring the tv center down to maybe 45Ē (as long as heat on the screen doesnít become an issue.)

Get a projector and just leave it on all winter. If that's not enough add a Plex server.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

n.. posted:

Honestly, I don't think you need to frame that at all. For a proper theater, you'd hang heavy black theater drapes all around the room. Not only will this dampen the sound but it will making hiding the cables and everything stupidly easy. Of course it will also cover up the existing walls and make it look like a theater.

This is an excellent idea. You're probably going to end up with some exposed concrete block here and there (below the screen, above the doors, etc) but who gives a poo poo. Throw some paint on it and it'll look fine IMO.

You'll also save ~6" or so on either side and 11.5' wide isn't a huge amount of width to work with in terms of screen size and speakers so every inch counts IMO. You're going to end up with speakers in the corners which is never ideal but some good, heavy drapes (which will not be cheap) will help with sound reflection.

The ceiling is concrete or something? You can afford to lose 6" or so there but not sure how drywalling the ceiling but not the walls will look. Rope lights in a crown molding (above the drapes) is a good idea and for the ceiling they make glue/stick on ceiling tiles though I've never used them so I don't know what they're like.

You could do all that poo poo yourself (sans electrical work) and see how you like it and if you don't then you go from there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hold The Ashes posted:

Both equally dickish and weird considering how cheap and lovely your own setups you keep posting look

Goons crying about interior decorator poo poo in rooms that will ideally always be used in 100% darkness, in threads/forums that are about the gadgets and not the decor, will never not be funny to me.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Lastly, in-wall speakers in the front would allow you to put your fronts and center channel directly behind an acoustically neutral screen, which could then take up the entire wall.

You don't need to do in-wall to do that, though it's a good idea either way given the narrow room.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Rinaldi posted:

Thanks for all the advice! At this point I like the idea of trying it without framing first and if we use it and like it and want it fancier, we can always do that later. Curtains will be expensive but far cheaper and less frustrating than getting a contractor here. We can get an electrician out to add outlets and probably do the rest ourselves.

Yes, the ceiling is concrete (the room is below the garage). I'll look into stick-on panels and see what they're like.

I'm still not sure about the lighting. Rope in crown seems ideal but can I affix crown molding to a concrete wall? Would that look jank? I don't know of any other good lighting solutions.

I'm sure you can affix molding to concrete one way or another. Probably going to be more of a pain in the rear end than a framed wall (i.e. concrete anchors are a lot more of a pain in the rear end than a finish nail gun). In my head your curtains come up to the bottom of the crowns and the crowns are close enough to the ceiling that there's no concrete wall visible at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DoLittle posted:

Still work in progress, but the electrician just finished all the connections. 🙂

Thereís a SVS sub hiding behind the couch and under the plant.

What speakers are those