Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I don't own a TV.

I have two Paradigm Atom Monitors (v5) and an Onkyo TX-SR504B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mr_Angry posted:

I just purchased this new TV three weeks ago to replace my Philips 32 inch LCD TV as I wanted a 1080p setup. What you see is the Sony Bravia 52 inch KDL-XBR3 LCD TV and I couldn't be happier with it and got it at a great price. The system setup is as follows:
  • Sony Playstation 3 (the Blu-Ray player)
  • Xbox 360 with HD-DVD drive
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Yamaha DTS 5.1 surround system
  • Buffalo Ethernet converter (the antenna you see up top) to network it all the game systems and Comcast box
The only real issue is that to get true 1080p out of the HD-DVD drive on the 360 I have to use the HD VGA adapter and that particular model of Bravia TV is one of the few to do the right 1920 x 1080 resolution needed.

As far as the Philips I'm waiting for the bracket I ordered to arrive at which point I'll wall mount that in my bedroom, retiring the 13 inch Sanyo I've had since my college days.

Not to be rude, but why spend so much on a tv and not much on a surround setup? BEAUTIFUL tv though, if I had the means I would certainly consider one.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I have a pair of Paradigm Atom Monitors and an Onkyo 504 surround receiver used in stereo only. The Atoms sound pretty fantastic if you realize their limitations. If I were to do it over again I'd save some more and buy Titans or Mini-Monitors.

My source for now is my laptop (With a Turtle Beach USB sound dongle thingy, great sound quality compared to onboard poo poo) or iPod. Sometimes the radio in my receiver.

I have a headphone amp and some Grado SR-225s for quiet time, also a pair of Shure E4C canalphones for portable use.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I managed to score an old display model Sony KDL32S2010 for $200 today along with a nice tech craft stand for $39 (also display).

My new setup is as follows:

Paradigm Atom monitors (current version)
Onkyo TX-SR504 receiver
Sony KDL32S2010, 32" LCD

Any recommendations on a cheap DVD player? Should I worry about upscaling or let the TV do the scaling?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Candleshire posted:

Two Technics Mk2, Dell core 2 laptop Allen and Heath Xone 32 mixer, KRK RP5 monitors, with a RP10 subwoofer, Samsung 46" LCD HDTV with digital verizon cable (le suck) and a Sony DVD player upresing to 1080p

sometimes i use my ipod

edit: and a wii :3:

I think this is close to my ideal setup.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Juriko posted:

200 off the tv or 200 for it? I mean, I thought I got a wicked deal on my KDL-v32Xbr2 for 750 but drat.

$200 for the TV. It was a display model that we had forgotten about in the store so it kept taking automatic markdowns for a year until we found it. Last week I found an open box 3rd gen 8GB Nano for $79.99 at Best Buy. I must have good karma or something.

Since you have an XBR2 (Same model year as the 2010 I believe), what are the differences it between it and the S2010?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0027 posted:

I finally got a real TV so now I can post in this thread. :)

Just setup the Sony KDS-50A3000 50" SXRD rear projection TV, it goes along with:
Panasonic SA-XR55S receiver
Axiom Audio M3ti front speakers
Cheap JBL center, Acoustic Research surround, and Yamaha 8" subwoofer speakers (combined cost less than the Axioms but fill their role well for my room)
Xbox 360, Comcast digital cable DVR, and coming in tomorrow an Oppo 980H DVD player as sources

I'm really happy with the television, after doing a lot of research this Sony set has the least compromises and best picture quality of anything I could find for the $1299 price.

That's a nice loving deal.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Supposedly Sony is discontinuing production of all RPTVs so they'll have some good deals now or in the upcoming months.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I picked up a Logitech Harmony 520 from Sears for $59 the other day, they put them at that price every once in a while if anyone is looking. It really does work loving awesome.

Other than bigger/color screens what do the higher end Harmony remotes do that this doesn't? I know some have a few more buttons but really everything that isn't a hard button is easily done with soft buttons on the LCD.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

steckles posted:

No TV, so I guess it's really just an A/ setup. The 360 is essentially ornamental.

Speakers: Paradigm Monitors 7s.
Amp: Rotel RA-1062.
Turntable: Thorens TD-190.

The home made bass traps work quite well. CDs and MP3s are provided by the computer. I'm pretty happy with it.

Nice setup. It's screaming for a projector or a 40-46" LCD though. Tell me about your creepy Nazi SS hat.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Omegaslast posted:

r.i.p. kuros :(

I'm sure those speakers sound incredible but drat do they look ridiculous. How tall are they anyway?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Sony KDL32S2010.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My somewhat ghetto bargain HT setup:

Cinder block speaker stands (These work surprisingly well, I mean they weigh probably 40-50 pounds each so they should. $6 for 4 blocks and a tube of liquid nails to attach them to each other)
Paradigm Atom Monitor V5. ($250 at a local hifi shop)
Onkyo TX-SR504 receiver. ($150 refurbished direct from Onkyo)
Techcraft something or other TV stand, sturdy and not terribly ugly.
Xbox 360 Pro 60GB ($250 on sale at Dell)
Sony KDL32S2010 (I paid $200+$20 for the stand and TV as a display model at work. Original retail? $1399 for the TV.)
Harmony 520 controlling the whole setup.

I'm happy. I'll get real speaker stands when I find what I'm looking for someday. Cables are a mess because I haven't gotten proper length cables, also the wall outlet behind the TV isn't grounded so I have two power strips daisy chained together running to the kitchen into a grounded outlet. Once I add a ground adapter we should be good to go for cleaning up the cabling.

Eventually I'll add a small subwoofer (HSU STF-1 or similar) and possibly some Paradigm Cinema series (Space for surrounds is very limited) speakers as rear and center channels.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 12, 2009

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

renraku posted:

Those cinder blocks look precarious as hell next to all that equipment and glass table.

They're actually very stable on account of their weight. Like I really have to push on one to even make it move in the slightest. I'm not going to deny that they are horribly ghetto though. They work exceptionally well for the cost and as temporary items.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

shaitan posted:

I was just thinking that the cinder blocks would break the glass table if they got knocked over, which probably wouldn't happen with the $100 speaker stands.

I would be more worried about my precious Paradigms or my $200 Sony KDL32S2010 (Yeah, I don't think I could replace this TV's quality with anything short of a 32" XBR or Samsung A550 for $1000) being damaged before I cared about the table. I bought the table for $20 as a clearance floor model although it is normally a $200 TV stand.

The cinderblocks are attached together with liquid nails and aren't going to separate any time this century. Trust me when I say they are very sturdy. A hit that would knock these over would knock any stand over unless it was bolted to the floor or had a 50 pound weigh at the base.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 19, 2009

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My fantastically ghetto setup:

Sony KDL32S2010 32" LCD $250 floor model special
Paradigm Atom Monitors $250 new from local stereo shop
Onkyo TX-SR504 $180-$200 refurbed from Onkyo
XBox 360 60GB $250 shipped from Dell
Philips DVP5982 $50 open box special from Best Buy
Techcraft $29 floor model special TV stand
Badass cinder block speaker stands (They're secured together with liquid nails)

All told, it is a pretty good setup I think considering that it didn't cost much at all. Some day I want to add a small HSU or similar make subwoofer to it along with Paradigm Cinema ADP surrounds and center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

samoth posted:

:sigh: seating for one :sigh:

I live in an efficiency apartment. There isn't room for a couch at all. If I want to be around other people I leave the apartment. Also it is paint on the floor from a prior tenant. I like my Poang but if I had room for a couch I'd have one.

quote:

I still maintain those are the best speaker stands in the whole thread.

They literally cost $5 for the set. 4 cinder blocks and a tube of liquid nails.