Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.

Taco Defender

Pibborando San posted:

Oh how I hate moving. To relax, the first thing I did was set up this minimal stereo system....

That looks extremely relaxing. I dream of having a stereo/headphone setup where I can just stare out the window and go off into my own little world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.

Taco Defender

EvilPsych posted:

As it sits right now.

Cable box, receiver, xbox/360 hidden in converted AM radio. remotes work through the frost plexiglass. Silver PC is running Boxee well to a 46" Vizio. Still a work in progress..

Very cool idea! Are you planning on putting the PC inside the radio as well?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.

Taco Defender

Belldandy posted:

New setup for 2012, my neighbors will hate me:

Also taking suggestions for subwoofer placement.

Put the subwoofer where you sit. Move around the room and listen to the sub. Determine where the sub is loudest; this is where you want the sub to be in the room. I suggest standing/sitting in areas where the sub is an acceptable location (such as along your walls or next to couch).

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.

Taco Defender

Belldandy posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try out some other locations.

And yeah, if it was FF13-1 I'd be kicked out by now.

I would also suggest moving your left speaker closer to the center of your screen by swapping it and the sub. Seems like you would have issues with imaging with the left speaker so far away from center of the LCD.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.

Taco Defender

jonathan posted:

I too have just finished (well, mostly finished) my Dedicated theatre. I cant figure out how to generate bbcode from an album on imgur, so I will just post the link.

http://imgur.com/a/WxsVX

Ol' Lady says we should black out the drop ceiling tiles. Wife acceptance factor doesn't apply in this house. She also says we should do dual Tuba HT subs stacked in the corner.

Freaking awesome. You should black out as much as you can.

Surprised to hear the encouragement to this hobby!

My significant other gets annoyed with my obsession with speaker placement and Audyssey runs.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.

Taco Defender

EC posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Standout Designs?

http://www.standoutdesigns.com/

I've been looking for a quality home entertainment center for awhile, and stumbled across these dudes today. They are incredibly expensive, but have a bunch of stuff I like. Optional fans for the back, glass shelves, etc.

I have the Horizon N702 and I love it. Yes, it was expensive but it is specially designed for home theater equipment.

I bought the exhaust fans, center speaker grill kit and extender. It keeps my equipment cool and my Onkyo fits with ease. The build quality is top notch and the wood looks great with the Cinnamon Maple stain. I store around 30 Blu-ray discs in the bottom along with some remotes. Cable runs are easy and the rear panels come off with a single screw. The whole cabinet slides on the floor with it's casters... Incredibly easy to work on.

I understand the price being high but it's well worth it if you can appreciate those features.

Some photos of when I first got the N702 to today:

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.

Taco Defender

mrbass21 posted:

Equipment:

* 120" screen
* Western Digital Media Hub
* Epson home cinema 8350
* Emotiva UMC-1
* Emotiva UPA-5
* Emotiva ERM 6.2 bookshelf speakers x3
* Emotiva ERD 1 x2
* Epik Empire Subwoofer
* Playstation 3
* Xbox 360
* lovely cable box from charter

Nice setup! It sounds like you are enjoying the Emotiva speakers; they look impressive to me on the site but I haven't seen anyone using them on any forums. I've also not seen anyone skipping a receiver as a source.

Speaking of weight, my friend has an XPA-2 hooked up to some Golden Ear Triton Twos. That drat amp pumps out incredible sound at the expense of a huge footprint and weight. I assume the UPA-5 is similar to the XPA-5?

I don't think your setup is audiophile crazy. It looks like a well tamed setup. That screen must be incredible for watching movies.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.

Taco Defender

Not sure where the hate on audio equipment came from. Sub woofers are one of the most important aspects of home theaters and is where most of the money and time should be spent. The sub frequencies are also the most difficult to achieve good results with since the sound waves are slow enough to be affected by the room.

I guess this is a great time to introduce my setup. Be warned; I spent money to get good sound!

- Samsung 64" D7000 Plasma
- Onkyo 3008
- Boston Acoustics VR975
- Boston Acoustics VR12 Center Channel
- Boston Acoustics Bravo Surrounds
- SVS PC12-NSD

The best photo I have until I get my 3008 back from repair:

Now, why did I spend that much money on equipment? I have been optimizing my room for even bass response. What I have achieved is nothing short of incredible for a relatively little amount of money. With my 3 subs I am able to achieve a good bass response down to 15hz:

This might not look impressive, but the above frequency response is without any EQ correction (Audyssey or parametric EQ) or room treatments. There are no room mode issues disrupting the response. I have a MiniDSP waiting to correct the dips and peaks and I am hoping achieve a response that is +/- 3db:

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.

Taco Defender

Patch posted:

Hey Boston Acoustics buddy ! Though mine are not quite the same level as yours (VR20 fronts and a VR910 center). Too bad BA has almost completely gone away from the VR tweeter. It looks like the Bravo and a soundbar are the only current products using it. Not sure what I'll go to if I ever upgrade.

Hey hey! You have excellent speakers as well. You can still find 960 and 975s online if you want to upgrade. VR10 and VR12s can still be had if you want bigger woofers in your center. I purchased my 975 pair on Ebay three years ago; they were an excellent deal but the surrounds on the subwoofers were completely deteriorated. I repaired them for around $20 and some time:

It is incredibly sad that Boston Acoustics have abandoned the VR tweeter and most of their high end development. I've watched as the company has imploded into a soundbar and economy speaker company. I love the old Boston sound and the VR tweeters are incredible. If I could find a pair of E100s I would buy them in a heartbeat.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.

Taco Defender

jonathan posted:

I dont think anyone is hating on the equipment. I think Killhour just wasn't familiar with that model of sub and was skeptical of its performance versus price.
What are you using for measurements and which program to display the output ? I use REW for my plots and measurements.

Also, are you using 3 SVS subs ? I'm curious what audessey can do with them without the use if the mini-dsp. Any results without the DSP ?

Sorry, I meant more of the weirded out attitude to equipment; we aren't getting into ridiculous audiophile territory here!

Yup, REW! I have a calibrated UMM-6 and Galaxy SPL meter. Trying to learn all I can about audio; having objective measurements is a blessing. My friend has a setup we've been working on as well. He is dealing with crazy room modes that we've been tackling with many subs (Golden Ear Triton Twos and 2x Klipsch RW-12d):

I am not using 3 SVS subs. I wish I had the cashflow for that sort of thing! I find that the Boston Acoustics subs built into the VR-975s hold up well. The SVS handles < 20hz and the BAs help with everything else. I put the SVS near-field for that reason. The butt shake is incredible.

Unfortunately, I don't have any measurements with Audyssey enabled on my current layout. When it is enabled, it does an excellent job due to Sub EQ handling both sets of sub woofers. I plan on enhancing it's ability with the MiniDSP so that it can use all of it's filters to improve elsewhere.

ijii posted:

Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System (Set of Six, Black)
Sony BDPS790 3D Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi
Yamaha RX-V673 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver
Samsung UN60ES7500 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Black)

Nice setup! How are you liking those Energy speakers? They seem like a hell of a deal.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.

Taco Defender

Sappo569 posted:

I need your help AV goon-nerds.

I am moving into a brand new condo next weekend, and of course wanted to go the wall-mount option for my tv.

The landlord has said he doesn't want any holes in the walls, so I was looking at stand options.

Then I came across this: http://www.erard.com/en/tv-mounts/wall-mount-tv/do-it-do-it/258-standit-400.html

Problem being it appears to be only available for sale in France and a few other eurotrash places, I checked 5-10 different websites and NO one will ship to Canada, not to mention I think the product line might be discontinued now.

Besides the obvious question of why this drat thing can't be shipped across the pond, anyone know of similar mounting options?

Or am I stuck using a tv stand, which will end up taking over precious space in my shoe-box

Salamander has something similar:

Furniture Mate

They also have some table top and a multitude of other setups. Do any of them fit your needs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.

Taco Defender

Knot My President! posted:

did a thing

Speakers: homebrew AviaTrix attached to an SMSL98E amp
Media Center Thingy: Raspberry Pi running Raspbian with HiFiBerry DAC
Screen: 100" acoustically transparent screen
Projector: HT2050A
Couch: Costco 6 piece sectional
Cat: Lynx point siamese

This is awesome! I want to install a similar setup; huge screen for movies and otherwise it will GTFO. Staring at a TV/screen that is off all the time is just odd to me.

Great job. Really digging the viiiibe man