Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

The Dave posted:

I have to say, am I the only one who thinks that in a scenario like this wall mounting just looks worse? You have a stand right there underneath it, you might as well make the TV eye level and get rid of that bad looking huge chord that hangs down the wall.

I agree. In fact, I think it's kind of silly most of the time, especially in home theater type applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Here's what I have going now, in my cluttered apartment.

You can see pretty much everything here, the computer of course connects to the TV as well via HDMI

A better view of the TV and such. On the left I have an upconverting DVD player, receiver, MOXI (a.k.a. DVR) and my printer.

View while on the computer

Obviously I have much to improve, but I really like what I have so far, considering my budget.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Juriko posted:

The picture on the right above your stand is crooked :colbert:

Also gently caress monoprice. I ordered 6 cables and a matrix switch last week and today I got a box with a single cable and my invoice. I am a very unhappy camper.

I'm pretty sure that I have gotten things in 2 separate shipments from them before, fyi.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Omegaslast posted:

well legdiann posted a cool setup so im gonna have to post my setup..

its the "never going to have a gf setup :cool:"

and yeah i know the center channels totally hosed, i need to get a longer tv mount arm, or get a new stand altogether. I want to buy an emotiva XPA-3 so im probably just gonna go with the new arm since it will only run me $80 or so.

What's with your speakers, dude. I mean, seriously. Do they even fit through most hallways?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Juriko posted:

HDMI is also an enormous pain in the rear end so prepare for a ton of trial and error.

Why is that? I've never had a problem.

Anyone here have any tips for repainting / recoloring speakers that have a faux-wood plastic veneer? I've got some that look like the ones below, and ideally I'd like to preserve the fake wood grain and make them a semi-gloss, very dark brown color.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Omegaslast posted:

do you have insignias or radiients?

either way, its going to be a vinyl finish and not even worth putting effort into.

Radiients. There's got to be a way, I don't really like the light wood but I love the sound. What about a vinyl dye?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
This post goes out to everyone in this thread who hasn't been commented on-- I personally enjoy seeing all the setups and some of them are quite inspiring. Hopefully I will get my area clean enough soon that I won't be embarrassed to post it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
No offense, but I definitely laugh out loud every time I see those speakers.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Been a while since I last posted, so...

Front view: you can see I'm sort of obsessed with symmetry. Vizio 42" 1080p TV that now costs 1/2 what I paid for it 1.5 years ago, Radiient tower speakers and center channel (great speakers for what I paid), H-K AVR-146, Zune 80GB w/ dock and remote, PS3, Wii, etc. I'm planning to paint the tower speakers black, since the vinyl finish doesn't match anything I own. I already did this with the center channel.

View over right shoulder (if you were really tall): H-100 sub at the bottom and Insignia surround, with a matching one on the opposite side. These speakers nearly match the front / center speakers. Not pictured: incredibly large and awkward to store rock band drums. Barely visible: Dreamcast and PS2.

Any organization / easy upgrade suggestions are welcome.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I love my Harmony but I get really sick of the input lag. Is it even possible to make that fully go away without having it miss commands all the time?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Is there a reason why you want to be only 6.5' away from a 50" TV? Other than that constraint, it seems like the shorter wall is the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I actually have that same cabinet setup. I use the frosted glass doors and completely removed the backing in the sections that have electronics, so it's totally vented in the back. I had tried to drill at one point and can verify that it's a bitch.