Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Sanyo Z4 720P projector
DIY 100" Screen
Sony 36" HD Wega (mostly hidden, bottom left of picture)
Denon AVR2805
Audio Authority component switcher
Sapphire towers, center, and rears w/JBL powered 10" sub
PS3
360 w/HD DVD
Wii
60GB PS2
120GB Xbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

King Hotpants posted:

I swear, every time I see a projector in this thread, I smile. It's like a secret brotherhood of the REALLY REALLY REALLY BIG picture.

Ahaha, I know what you mean. We've had it over a year and there are still times when we'll be watching something and just stop to talk about how absolutely huge the picture is. We'll never go back :)

Omegaslast posted:

are those the atlantic technologies with the blue drivers? :swoon:

Totally :love:

I started putting together my 2.0 vinyl station today. Just got back from picking up some of these at Best Buy:

Also ordered a Shure M97xE cartridge and an Audio Source Amp 100 today:

I'm still trying to decide what phono preamp to run. In my price range (~$50) it looks like it's either the TCC TC-750 or the Rolls VP29. Anyone have any experience with either of them? I'm leaning towards the Rolls since it has a headphone out.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Nice! Words can't describe how excited I am to click that link :lol:

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Eponymous Synonym posted:

So that's that. Tell me what you think?

Nothing wrong with enjoying music on the cheap when you're young and it's nice to see you're enjoying vinyl.

Oh and the boombox is :krad:

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

RandomG posted:

Just an A setup, no v... posted a separate thread, no one responded... here are my entry level "monitors" or whatever they were advertised as:

HD-Aerogel drivers, built in 24/96 dac, electronic x-over built into the amp, 100 watt amp, but with the aerogel still gets up to 110 db or so without distortion.

Looks like really nice stuff, how does it sound?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Nice equipment Mike and I like the fact that you put stuff in the room that you enjoy, It's nice to see someone's personality in their house.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

sigma 6 posted:

Can anyone who has a projector tell me how they solve their wiring issues?

We have a 2" plastic flex conduit running from the back of the wall unit to the projector. It's carrying a 50' length of component cable from bluejean cables and an hdmi cable to the projector. The HDMI is from the ps3 and the component is from our receiver that combines all the dvd players/consoles etc. That's all our sources right there, the only thing behind us is the projector and stand. We've experienced no interference for what it's worth.

The conduit is snaked behind lots of stuff (wall unit, dvd racks, absolutely gigantic tower subwoofer, couch, etc) so you can barely see it until it goes up the back of the projector stand. Even then it's all black conduit and we keep the room blacked out most of the time so while it's not perfect aesthetically, it's really not bad.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 26, 2008

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

sigma 6 posted:

Stupid question, but can I daisy chain receivers? My lovely receiver (built in to the subwoofer) does not have any video input/output . . . only audio.

If you're buying a new receiver and want to keep the sub, you could just send the sub output on your new receiver to audio input of the old receiver/sub.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
We had an upstairs neighbor that could hear us thinking about watching a movie. The slightest hint of bass and there was a knock at the door.

We put the subwoofer on a couple of 12 inch by 12 inch by 1 inch thick patio blocks from Home Depot (they were like a dollar each) also the sub was moved 4 feet from any wall.

We didn't go all out bumping bass but we did watch some movies and play some games at regular, fairly loud volumes, bass and all, and he never came down again. I saw him at a grocery store a few months after the changes and he said whatever we did worked great, he couldn't hear a peep.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
^ I don't think foam is typically used to stop bass, just to stop high freq waves from bouncing around the room. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong.

.Nathan. posted:

The thing about using tiles or paving stones is that they're so dense they don't really do anything to stop the vibrations from passing right through them and into the floor. Ideally you want atleast some form of vibration dampening.

That does make sense actually, not sure why it seemed to work so well in my case. What about placing some rubber donuts between the two patio blocks? They sell a pretty large assortment of rubber feet for table legs etc at the Depot.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Twlight posted:

Also I'm wondering the best way to store my records. I've really started to gain a collection and it would be nice to show case them somewhere in the living room. Any thoughts?

I use a Lack bookshelf, standing upright with around 30 LPS in each of the top 3 shelves. The bottom shelf is for 7" storage, in one of these Ikea Trissa boxes. The Lack is kind of narrow stood up on end, but it's very sturdy once it's loaded up with records. I haven't bothered and have never had any trouble, but it might not be the worst idea to secure it to the wall at the top if you have kids/pets/drunk people you're worried might pull it over.

If you need more storage than that, the popular choice is the Expedit series of bookcases with storage for ~50 LPs per shelf.

Twlight posted:

I was also thinking for the other side not occupied by the record player having a stand which would showcase what ever record was playing. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Cook-Book-Holder-Silver/dp/B0000X8X4C/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1206554653&sr=1-14

I know its a cook book holder but I'm not sure anyone would know the difference. If there is something cheaper, which im almost positve there is, does anyone know?

Personally I'd be a bit worried on more rare LPs that the steel balls would put indent marks on the jacket. A table-top photo easle from a craft/art supply/frame store would probably be more gentle on the jackets.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 26, 2008

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Twlight posted:

Do you have any photos of your LP's inside the lack? I'd like to see how they look.

I just moved and haven't unearthed my digital camera from the pile of boxes yet. I'll put up pics of my setup asap though.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Twlight posted:

I really like the Lack bookshelf, since I'll be using different parts of the Lack I think that it will fit well. Do you have any photos of your LP's inside the lack? I'd like to see how they look.

I counted and I can get about 40 per shelf on average, one shelf is holding 50. They're in there very loosely too, I didn't want to squeeze too many in and wind up with ring marks on the jackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Acc-Risk posted:

Beautiful gear, drat.