Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I didn't really know where else to post this, but those of you that mounted your TV's above your fireplace, how far away did you put your theater speakers?

I have a cubby that is built to hold a tv over the fireplace, but I'm not sure where to put my speakers without damaging them from the heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
It's a gas fireplace. I've never had one so I don't know how much heat they put out.

Here are some crappy pics to show the living room set up.

Here's the primary viewing angle. I'd rather sacrifice having to point my eyes up a bit to save some floor space.

The room is pretty small, and my current tv is rediculously huge. I'm wanting to buy a tv that will fit in the space, and then get a freestanding av rack for my equipment to save on some space.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, I'm renting. I don't really like the idea of wall mounting because of that.

I measured it out and I should be able to fit a 42" in there, which is 9" smaller. I am hoping that since I am going to rearrange the furniture the viewing angle will be closer and hopefully will compensate for the smaller screen

Glompix - that is pretty much the room unfortunately. I was standing against the stairs. Here are a couple other pics for reference.

dreesemonkey - I thought about putting the components in that cubby, but I was worried about the head of all of those components together. That amp puts out a fair about of heat and the WHS already complains about heat.

After researching some stands I was leaning towards a tower like this and placing it where the TV currently is, and moving the love seat on that wall as well.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

MMD3 posted:

We're about to do a full home remodel and the sky's sort of the limit (within reason) for our movie-watching den. The room isn't incredibly deep so we will just have a sectional in there most likely (no theater seating or anythign crazy) and I'm thinking I want to do like a 60" tv rather than a projector just due to ease of use and not having to wait for the lamp to heat up.

Hoping to find some good clean-install inspiration imagery. This thread has been awesome but do any of you have any outside resources you like checking or pinterest boards or something for A/V setups?

My girlfriend isn't a big fan of my Aperion Intimus cherry speakers unfortunately, even though I just finally found some lightly used 5T towers and a 5C center to match the 5B bookshelves I have that I love. So she's mandating I look for a way to hide the speakers (ie: in-wall speakers). Does anyone have any info on what some of the best in-wall speaker makers I should be looking at are? I know Aperion has these: http://www.aperionaudio.com/new-intimus-l6-iw-in-wall-speaker but it feels like it would be quite a compromise to go from towers to those. Assuming I'm given cart blanche to "make the speakers disappear" what would be the best approach to hide them or put them in-wall without sacrificing too much on sound quality?

edit: looks like paradigm makes some pretty incredible low-profile speakers and in-wall/in-ceiling speakers... they even have in-wall and in-ceiling subs which is crazy. unfortunately, holy-ish, these are pretty drat expensive compared to floorstanding speakers. Here's hoping I can find some sort of architectural speakers that are a happy middle-ground between price & sound quality. That's what I really appreciate about aperion but they just don't have a very wide offering as far as architectural speakers go yet.

Sorry I'm on my phone or I would find a link, but if you want to keep your speakers you could create a fake wall where the tv will be mounted that will allow space for your floor standing speakers and even center channel. There is a fabric you can then attach that would hide the speakers but allow the sound to pass.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Yeah I hadn't thought of it either until I saw it. I can't find the one I'm thinking of, but this could get you started.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/837848/minimalist-approach-to-screen-wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Looking for some opinions on what to upgrade next. I just moved into a house so I'm messing around with new placements for everything. Currently I have a 3.0 setup, but this summer I plan on running wiring for the rears once I get the front placement locked in. Currently:

42" Vizio m420kd 1080p LCD

Denon avr 1611
Pioneer sx-820

Pro-ject Carbon RPM

Pioneer sp-f551-lr Andrew Jones Towers
Pioneer sp-c21 center
Sansui SP-2000

Amazon fireTv
AppleTv

I have a powered sub in the garage, but haven't got it out yet.

My first thought was to upgrade the tv to a bigger size since now I can accommodate, but it sounds like I should wait. We are happy with picture quality so would just be a size difference.
The other thing I was going to look at was upgrading my receiver. My old set up had two different areas for the vinyl and home theater, but now it's going to be in the same room.
If I ran the turn table through the same receiver I could use one set of speakers instead of two which would free up some space in the room. This is the receiver I was looking at, but I'm open to other options:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr6009/marantz-sr6009-7.2-receiver-wi-fi/bt/airplay-sale-reduced-150/1.html

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 1, 2016