Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

fahrvergnugen posted:

PARA INGLES, POR FAVOR.

AFF = Above Finished Floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

poppingseagull posted:

Because of all the hate towards poorly executed wall mounted TVs I decided to post pictures of the one in my house.

Is the picture of the cable box install an inside joke or something? I don't need to tell you what you'd be doing if you worked on my crew.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

poppingseagull posted:

Do you mean the wires? That is all in the garage behind a large air conditioning unit so it is never seen. I could clean it up in a few minutes but never bothered.

I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm not accustomed to seeing cable boxes installed with bungee cords and eye bolts. The display install looks nice though :)

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

Look at how studly I am:

yes I bi-amped the speakers whatever back off

Am I missing something here? Where is the other amp hidden?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Here are some pictures of my work in progress. I don't have many construction pictures but basically I turned my living room walls and ceiling into Swiss cheese to move all my components to a rack in the closet. While I was at it I installed a cove ceiling with 3 color led rope lighting and mounted my plasma on the wall. I'm especially proud because I did all the work myself and have never done anything like this before.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Devices shown :

- Pioneer PRO-1150HD
- PMC GB1 speakers (loaners until my OB1i and CB6i show up)
- Velodyne HGS-18

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Omegaslast posted:

well legdiann posted a cool setup so im gonna have to post my setup..
its the "never going to have a gf setup :cool:"

What does having comically overcompensating oversized speakers have to do with not having a girlfriend?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Omegaslast posted:

btw what dvd program is that?? looks like the kaleidascape software (which is like $20,000 or some poo poo) but hopefully it isnt... also what is that around the tv? a screen shield or something?

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it is a Kaleidescape system. The frame around the display is just something I put up so you don't see all the wires and poo poo when you first walk into the room. The wall is shared so I couldn't do a full flush mount.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Omegaslast posted:

drat, was hoping it was some htpc type stuff that just copied kaleidescape REALLY WELL. is my $20,000 mark off? more like $5,000ish?? does it do bit perfect copies of dvds video and audio or does it compress them?

about the tv frame.. i thought it actually encased the tv, kinda hard to tell whats going on since i assume you painted the wall black behind it.

MSRP on a KSERVER-1500, KPLAYER-6000 and (4) 1TB Drives is $16,470.00, so it's a little cheaper than you thought. It does perfect copies of DVDs with no compression.

I really wish I took more pictures of the install. Basically what I did was mount a Chief PLP Mount to the wall. I built a frame out of 1/2" x 8" wide pieces of MDF. The frame leaves about a 2" gap all the way around the plasma. I took some 2x4s and screwed them into the wall in a rectangle shape around the Chief bracket and then slid the MDF frame over the 2X4s and attached the frame to the 2X4s. I then took a single piece of 1/2" drywall and cut out a hole the size of the bracket and mounted the drywall to the 2X4s that were attached to the wall. Painted the whole thing flat black and mounted the plasma.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Juriko posted:

It looks great, and is a good example of a wall mount done really well. I think one of the hardest parts with a wall mount is by mounting the TV on the wall it becomes a decorative element, and that means you can't just place it however you want, and how you place it depends a lot on the space and the walls and ceilings. The frame helps a lot. I will say the uneven spacing between the two photos and the display is distracting though.

What made you go with the Kaleidoscope setup?

Thanks. You are right about the spacing on the photos. I'm thinking about moving "Blown Away" closer to the display so it's the same distance away as "Kate Moss". However when watching movies at night you can't even see the pictures so I might just leave them.

I went with the Kaleidescape because I got a *very* good deal on it. The company I work for is an authorized dealer and I paid less than dealer cost for it. I install/use these systems all day so naturally I want one at home! I did retain my trusty XBMC to watch all my TV shows as not to eat up expensive drive space on the Kaleidescape.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Juriko posted:

I love having my DVD's shelved and handling disks. It is kind of silly really since it would be easier to get a few terabytes of networked storage and just serve it all on demand, but god I love it.

Some key points on why I like the Kaleidescape Player.

- Space. 450 DVDs takes up alot of wall space.
- I don't have to worry about my roomate / nephews / nieces handling the DVDs
- Meta data. The fact that I can just load one of my DVDs and have it automatically download Hi-Res cover art, descriptions and details about the movie and cast is just awesome.
- Speed. Have you ever tried to watch a movie that has the FBI warnings, coming attractions, and animated menus so locked down that it takes like 5 minutes to get to the actual movie? No matter what the movie, I just pick it and hit play and I'm watching it in less than 3 seconds. (Full DVD menus are retained in case you want to browse thru the DVD.)
- Collections/Favorite scenes. This is probably one of the cooler features. While watching a movie I can start/stop "recording" a favorite scene and then save it and give it a name. You can even setup scripts that will automatically play a bunch of preselected scenes if you are demoing your system to friends or whatever.
- The cool factor. When you are browsing thru the cover art to find a movie and you stop and a second later all the covers are flying around reorganizing themselves based on an algorithm that puts similar movies together.... I mean that's just cool.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

thefuNkpuNk posted:

This is interesting. In your professional opinion, how does XBMC perform as a legitimate media center (vs. a hobbyist toy)? Which of the two systems do you use more often? Do you see other people using XBMC as a legitimate component in their home theaters?

I love XBMC and I think it's better than just about all the commercial media players that are out right now. The problem is you need to have a fairly strong understanding of how it works and how to get new media onto it. Most mid-high end AV clients we have just simply don't want to deal with it. They love the Kaleidescape because it's just so easy. Press one button, put the DVD in and in 10-15 min it's on the server available anywhere in the house.

Right now I'm definitely using my Kaleidescape more, probably partially because it's new.

I'm not sure if you're asking if I *can* see people using these in their home theaters or if I *am* seeing them. I have yet to see a customer with an XBMC, mainly because like I said before, our customers just aren't the type of people that deal with that kind of stuff. I consider the XBMC a legitimate component in a home theater for the right person. I know that actual Video/Audio quality isn't quite up to what the Kal hardware can do, but for the price an XBMC can't be beat.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Juriko posted:

How long did it take you to catalog all of your dvd's I only have around 150 right now and it seems like it would take forever with even that small amount.

We have a 200 disc bulk loader that makes the task of loading dvds much more bearable. It reads 2 discs at a time and averages about 10-15min per disc.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

asari posted:

In fact, Kaleidescape was sued a few years ago by the RIAA DVD CCA, but fortunately won the suit.

Fixed.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Brought my CB6i home today, still waiting on the new OB1i set. Didn't play with it too much tonight, but safe to say it sounds quite a bit better than the Cambridge Soundworks Center Stage it replaced.

That is the old furniture that used to house my equipment. It's only there to hold up the center channel until I pick out a center channel stand.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

titaniumone posted:

Personally I think removing the box and taking the speakers off the TV would make the whole thing look a lot more slick.

It was a toss up between the box or looking at the side/back/wires of the tv every time I walk into my place. Power cord, 3 HDMI, Component, Composite and RS-232 are alot of wires to look at. I agree with you though, a flush or even semi-flush would look much better. Also, the box needs to be finish sanded and painted gloss black which should help a little.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Omegaslast posted:

im still not sure what you mean when you say "flush"? do you mean on a wall mount or mounted as close to the wall as possible? what type of wallmount is it on now??

I'm using this bracket:

http://www.chiefmfg.com/productdetail.aspx?MountID=56

When I say "flush" or "semi-flush" I'm actually referring to the way the bracket is attached to the wall. Mine is just mounted right on the wall with 4 lag bolts into studs.

Flush would require a large cut out in the wall the size of the entire display and usually about an inch or two more. The cut out would also have to be about 6 or 7 inches deep which is just not possible with the wall I put it on.

Semi-flush would be a cutout just large enough for the bracket to be recessed in the wall. This only requires the cutout to only be a couple inches deep and still hides most of the wires and the actual bracket. However the front edge of the display would still be about 5 inches off the wall (currently 7 inches with my install)

I'll add some pictures next week.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I had a little free time this weekend so I installed my 3 color LED rope light and roughed in the trim work around the cove. Sorry for the lovely photos, I will try and get some better ones and a video of lights in action tonight. Currently they are just running off a generic 8 pattern controller but I have purchased a DMX512 controller that I plan to control via Crestron/touchscreen. Also shown is my new Sanus SFC22 center channel stand. Still waiting on the OB1i mains :(

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Here is a video of the rope light fading through 3 colors. This controller sucks. The DMX controller allows 100 levels of brightness for each color, so technically like a million different combonations.

Click Here To See You Tube Video

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Does anyone here have a setup installed in a rack system? Like the Middle Atlantic 19" wide stuff?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
My OB1i mains finally came in! I'm hoping to install/wire my component rack this weekend so hopefully I'll have some pictures of the completed setup soon.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Falco posted:

Alright I've spent the last two nights trying to figure out what photo you have hanging on the left. The pictures aren't quite large enough to read the text on it, care to enlighten me?

Here is a link to where I bought the picture : All Posters

As posted above, it was taken for the Maxell ads from the early 80's (late 70's?).

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

chuck2020 posted:

Thoughts/suggestions?

Use lacing bars.

edit - Oh an AV company did that for you. I'm sorry.

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 18, 2009

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Swapped out my display this weekend. Mostly just loving around trying to figure out how to use the manual mode on my camera. Top pic is rope lighting, bottom is lamps. Room was very dark hence the grainy pics.

Yes the granite coffee table is shiny and I put a cover on it when I do any "serious" movie watching.

Runco CW-61

Click here for the full 1379x1050 image.

Click here for the full 1277x1050 image.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

fahrvergnugen posted:

when I look at those photos it feels like I'm looking at Patrick Bateman's house. It's got a very high-end 80s thing going on.

Compliment accepted.

I got the table at "Bob's Furniture" They are a discount furniture place. I think they only have a few stores up here in New England. They sell a lot of junk but if you look around you can find a few nice items.

http://www.mybobs.com/Montibello.aspx

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

GOOCHY posted:

My thought was that I wouldn't want $4000 added into my mortgage for gear that is going to be worth less than half of its current value in about 12 months. Now I'm paying interest every month on $4K extra on my mortgage for however long I'm in the house. Say you're in the house the entire 30 year term of the mortgage; (unlikely I know...) you'd be paying 10x that $4K in interest, probably more. It's a bad deal long term, in my opinion. It would have been a better value proposition to just charge it to a low interest credit card if you really insist on not paying cash, instead of having it hang over your head forever.

So instead of paying back the 4K on a credit card, he makes extra principal payments, say $400 a month for 10 months. Wouldn't that be almost the same as putting it on a card?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
After swapping out my old XBOX for a HTPC, I think I'm done moving stuff around in my rack.

From top to bottom :

Kaleidescape 1U Server (4TB)
Kaleidescape 1080P Player
Middle Atlantic PD-815 PDU
Crestron CP2e Control Processor
Motorola DCH3416 Cable Box
Nintendo Wii
Microsoft XBOX 360
2U HTPC Running Ubuntu XBMC
Sony Playstation 3
Pioneer SC-07 Receiver

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

writequit posted:

Holy crap, is that a full two-post rack? The cut outs are brilliant. I assume you can stand behind it to adjust interconnects?

It's a Middle Atlantic SRSR Rack

The spot it's in used to be a closet. The rack pulls out and spins 90 degrees to access the components. I will take some pictures once I finish up the wiring :)

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
So I bought a tripod last night. Here's some pics of my touch panel and my super cool 3 color LED ropelight

Edit - For bonus points, spot the error on my GUI screen shot :(

Click here for the full 1024x770 image.

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 11, 2009

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

cudwortho posted:

Sci Fi Channel is now is now SyFy?

I guess it's not obvious but my little help dialog at the top is the one for my Kaleidescape page. Whoops

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Stares At Floor posted:

Pictures

Wow that stuff is really close together! Does your equipment get very hot?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

Did you do the work yourself or have an A/V company come in?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
That's not an outlet showing in the picture, it's a power strip. Unless maybe that is some kind of direct plugin surge protector or something. Regardless, I would do whatever it takes to fix that. Everything else looks so nice.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

luma posted:

Yeah I just rackmounted my 360.

I rackmounted my 360, my PS3 and my Wii. Do I win? :)

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

luma posted:

Yup! What are those boxes on the top?

The top one is a Kaleidescape 1U Server and the bottom one is a Kaleidescape 1080P Player.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

luma posted:

I'm trying to figure out the purpose of those devices - is there anything significant that the Kaleidescape product does that 7MC doesn't do with the addition of a couple free plugins? Their pricing seems beyond the levels of normal AV absurdity.

Kaleidescape makes products for wealthy people who want to record and watch DVDs without having to know anything about anything. If I put a PC in a customers home as a media player, I would be getting service calls every week. Now picture that times hundreds of houses.

My rack pc loaded with XBMC is used 90% of the time. I have a Kaleidescape system at home mainly to develop and enhance our touch screen interface with the product. I also got a really good deal on the system because it was a company demo.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Legdiian posted:

Kaleidescape makes products for wealthy people who want to record and watch DVDs without having to know anything about anything.

As I said before, Kaleidescape is not for everyone and I would not have one in my house if I didn't get a ridiculous deal on it.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Please don't take offense, but I'm just wondering how you decided on that height for your TV.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

got dat wmd posted:

drat, why is it so hard to find decent hight speaker stands for bookshelves.

This Site seems to sell quite a few different stands.

If your room is laid out where there is a lot of open space behind the couch, it might seem weird to have the surround speakers way up in the air. I would mock something up at different heights to see if you can even hear a difference in sound.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

The Senate posted:

Isnt it a bad idea to put discs on speakers?

I think you are thinking about floppy disks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

SatanX posted:

For any of those that have never seen theater lights in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot-NSYHzGs0

I take it the flickering/pulsing is just a product of the camera you shot that video with?