Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What stand is that on the left? Great setup by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Falco posted:

Check out this post of mine from earlier in the thread. I bought this unit and absolutely love it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2385480&pagenumber=54#post384039212

Isn't that awful for airflow though? I can't find any images of the back of it, does it have one? What usually keeps me from getting something like that stand is that I can't imagine sticking consoles and stuff into an enclosed space. Do people just buy it and cut off the back or drill holes?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThinkFear posted:

False wall. Take some particle board, paint same color as wall, and screw it to the back of the stand.

I use a Belkin Conceal power bar for that. It's basically a power bar with a foldup plastic shell built around it. It has 4 spots for the large power blocks and 6 outlets for regular stuff. Throughout the casing it has holes to route power cables and some other stuff. If you bunch them up a bit then it's fine but if you have like 100 cables behind your TV then I doubt it would accommodate that. It's not as elegant as the false wall but costs $30 and no real time to implement.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 31, 2010

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

poxin posted:

Just moved into my new apartment and got everything wired up. Shame I can't get my subwoofer to work at all. The PC off to the left is only there temporarily until I get a longer cable to hide it.

What speakers are those?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sonic H posted:

I have been thinking about a Harmony, but reviews and you guys suggest that this lag/delay is pretty annoying. Which is the best version to get? I have probably 5 devices that would require some kind of remote although 2 of those are Sky+HD and the PS3.

I use a Harmony 700 with XBMC via a USB IR6 dongle, a receiver, PS3 and some other junk. The Harmony is a bit slower than the Media Center remote I have but it's not intolerable or something. Some people have likened it to the delay you see using a cable STB remote but I've found it far better than that in terms of responsiveness. The odd time it will send a command twice when I'm holding down the button to skip through long lists but it's a small price to pay for the convenience factor(5 remotes down to 1).

That said I do understand why people are a bit miffed about any delay when they are spending $250 on a remote. I use a 700 so I'm not sure if the One is worse in this regard either, it could very well be. The 700 I got was $50, is backlit, has physical activity buttons instead of a silly touchscreen and only lacks the cradle.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 26, 2011

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Having a tall lamp behind the couch helps a ton I find although I'm not sure the size of your room. I forget what they are called but one of my ex's bought me a standing lamp that's about 6 feet tall and provides great background light to the whole room without being overpowering. I find it's just bright enough that I don't get eye strain but it doesn't really put any glare on the screen during dark scenes in movies. I tend to turn it off for horror movies and stuff like Dark City but that's more out of preference.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mcqueen posted:

It's 42"

Wow, that's pretty hilarious. I thought it was a 26" HDTV/Monitor combo thing from Walmart or something. I would double check the mounting of those pictures on the wall if you ever decide to really test that sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Your video is set to private, just FYI.