Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Finally got my basement finished. Here are some photos of the home theater setup.

TV

Screen down

Projector

More of the room. Side/rear in-walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Stump Truck posted:

When would you NOT use the projector screen? Or do you move the chairs closer to watch TV?
well, the tv gets almost no use. If I'm playing mw3 I use it since the projector lags a bit. It's mainly there If we are playing music via appletv/etc and the lights are on.

Edit: live tv comes through the boxee with tv tuner. Onkyo 709 splits it to both tv/projector.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 18, 2012

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
We're building a new house and wanted to maybe sneak in a theater room. Problem is currently the spot may be quite small. Haven't got final plans back, but maybe 10x20 or so.

Our last house I did in walls in the downstairs family room, motorized screen, etc. I think it was roughly 120" or so.

I still have the projector (Epson 3020e) and front floor standing speakers/center. Was planning on maybe doing all in wall this time, with a fixed screen.

My big question is, is 10x10 or 10x11 or so enough space for a theater room? (Honestly just looking for a couch and maybe a bean bag or two, if we get fancy we'd build up with tiers allowing mutiple levels.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

ante posted:

You can find online calculators that will have the optimal throw distance of your projector for a given screen size, and an optimal viewing distance, too. Should give you some ideas.

Legdiian posted:

Here is a link to a throw distance calculator :

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_3020e-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I have a 106" in my living room and I sit about 10' from the screen. so it's doable. Epsons have ridiculous amounts of adjust-ability in regards to image placement so you should have no problem putting the image where you want it. If it was me, I would put the speakers in wall and do a perf 16X9 screen that filled the whole wall.

Thanks guys, looks like it is doable. The newest iteration of the plans has about 9' 6" width, and about 16' length (I said 10x20 in my last post, but I think I meant 10x12). I think there will be a little jog for the entry way, which is where I will probably put a built in shelf for all the components (essentially in the back of the room someplace).

I did see this recommended elsewhere for acoustic transparency: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4WT9Q2/ Looks like the gain goes down a bit, but the projector is quite bright so it probably is not a problem. The good news is I could cram that screen in the front of the room, throw the front/center behind the screen and rear/side do in wall as well. It really just needs room for a couch, and potentially a bean bag or two. Might do a raised floor in the back to put the couch on. We did see one setup that was smaller than this room, but they excavated down further in the front so the 'stepping' was built into the floor itself. Probably quite expensive though.

Edit: If it wasn't clear, I'm from the midwest and we will have a full basement below the house with about half of it finished, the home theater room would go in part of this (under a jut out for our dining room). The width is constrained because there needs to be a load bearing wall/beam there, so it could be larger but there would put a pole in it.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 11, 2015

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Currently in the process of designing our home, which we should start building in a few months. One of things I want to do is in ceiling speakers in most of the rooms. Was planning on doing Denon Heos Amp's (basically Sonos, but different, and their amps are better), for a bunch of the zones, had already purchased 3 of them (when I see good deals on eBay, etc).

Turns out Denon is releasing a rack mount 4 zone 8 channel amp. 70w per channel, can bridge channels (which would be great for us since we may have a zone or two that's pretty huge). All kinds of inputs that you can matrix over. So now the kicker, only sold through certified installers. Do you think there is any chance I will be able to purchase two of these somehow?

More info here: http://www.cepro.com/article/denon_debuts_rack-mounted_heos_drive_amp/
Kind of pricey at $2500 each, but great otherwise.

Also, planning on doing a dedicated home theater room, fixed screen, maybe rack mount the components in the entry way (as the entry way will have a jog in it to get in), maybe could do a full rack and add the Heos/Network/etc and make lots of blinky lights!