Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

900ftjesus posted:

I'm waiting for 1080p projectors to come down a bit before jumping to HD. Finished hiding all the cables in the ceiling and running them to a patch panel on the wall this weekend. This winter I'm going to cover the walls and hide the frame. I'm also adding a second, raised couch for more seating.

Are you going to go ahead and run all the HD cables while you have everything open? If it were me, I would but then again, if you have budget constraints now I could understand why you wouldnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Black people should be rooted in black history. Katanas are retarded unless you are asian and at least 175 years old (and older).

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

This setup is tight as poo poo. Good job, it looks fantastic.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I see that a lot of people have 2+ DirecTV HR series boxes, is there any reasoning behind this? It seems common enough.

e: read your flowchart of which components were connected to what and that makes more sense in my head now.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I may be looking at getting a new TV to replace my 40" Samsung. I was thinking in the 55-65 range (so, giant). I'm renting and can't mount my TV on the wall, so I am limited to entertainment units. Where are good places to look for bench style units? I figure this would be a good place to check and see what people are using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Juriko posted:

Are you afraid of mounting anything to the wall, or just not willing to put the big gently caress off holes required for a mount? If it is the latter you can get away with buying some plywood, screwing that with drywall screws into the studs and mounting your TV to that. It will leave small, easy to patch holes, give some good contrast if you stain the wood, and let you still get a very flush mount if that is what you want.

My current TV is mounted to the wall but in the past I have done the above and it worked great. I actually added a inch thick spacer to use as a cable channel and plain shelf hardware to add some shallow shelves for my AV gear. It took up way less space than a stand, and since you only have to use screws big enough to anchor it to the wall the screws can be small. The plywood takes all the shear weight of the TV.

I wouldn't give two shits about mounting it on the wall if I wasn't in an apartment :smith: It would make my life so much easier to just man up and mount it.

some texas redneck posted:

Nothing special, don't even have photos, but..

32" Toshiba LCD 720p TV, hooked up to a huge antenna in the attic
JVC Dolby ProLogic receiver from 1994 (0.01% THD if I remember right, but I lost the manual at least 10 years ago)
Low end Infinity 5.1 satellite set w/10" powered sub
Cheap MSI Pentium P6000 laptop w/XBMC and CoreAVC via HDMI, plus a Rosewill Media Center remote

Trying to figure out what video card will be decent enough to add HDMI to my desktop so I can start using the laptop as a laptop again. :colbert: All of the media resides on my desktop pc.

A card like this will be fine for getting media streamed to your TV over HDMI and do GPU offloading so you can do 1080p with a significantly less powerful machine since it does all the decoding grunt-work.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 21, 2010