Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Heres my current setup. Just changed it a bit last weekend. Had a loft bed right above it but took that apart and now have my bed temporary on the floor behind the chair.
37" 1080p Westinghouse
logitech z680s (which I'm playing with the though of replacing them with real speakers, just need to figure out where I'd put them)
60 gig PS3
Xbox 360
Gaming computer

It works well for me, I just need to get a new bed frame to lift it about a foot and a half off the ground so i can be more comfortable watching poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Coredump posted:

Don't do it. For games and movies those speakers have pretty good separation and sound, especially for how compact they are. Gun fire has bunch, and the speakers will give you the sensation of sound moving around you if you have the speakers spaced properly in your room. For music they suck and if you get new speakers it won't fix the problem.

The problem is the speakers have no midbass to them. The 3 inch driver can't go low enough to carry midbass. To compensate, the sub is tuned to go way to high so it starts to sound buzzy. Inside the amp on the back of the sub are the crossovers which determine at which frequency it stops sending bass to your satellite speakers to the sub. You change speakers you will still be stuck with the same crossovers. That means you get some nice front channel speakers that can hit down to 80 hz or lower and the crossover in the amp will still cut them off at 250 or where ever the stupid crossover point is on those logitechs.

If you want better speakers for music, you would have to get new speakers and something to power them with. Which if you ask for advice around here may not be that expensive. Just ask to get a 2 channel amp and two bookshelf speakers. If you can figure out a way to split the signal and get the sub in the action that would be good two.

Thanks for the response. I haven't fully decided when I'll replace them but when I do I'm planning on getting a Pioneer VSX-1018 receiver and building some DIY speakers from one of the many designs on htguide. I haven't fully decided which to do yet, but am highly considering the natalie p's(though I would likely need to get a amplifier to run a whole 5 speakers with that receiver). When I get around to it I'm going to just start with 2 channel setup and build/add the other speakers in their own time.

I've been using these z680s since 04, maybe 03 and they've been great but are not without their issues. I can't read the display due to the retarded angle its at. All the speakers hiss when there is no input no matter the volume and the rear left speaker is intermittent/crackly half the time.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I upgraded from my logitech speakers finally.

Kef iQ3s with a Denon AVR-1909.
Going to build or buy a media shelf thing this weekend to get the receiver off the ground and the consoles out of the way.
After listening to these I am extremely tempted to spend the money I have on a set of iQ9s and a iQ6c to go with these.

edit: bit the bullet and just ordered a iQ6c

FireTora fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 16, 2009

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

So I overhauled my setup in the 2 weeks since my last picture. Got the rest of the speakers and replaced my huge Teak desk with a table and AV component stand.

TV: Westinghouse LVM-37W3
Receiver: Denon AVR-1909
Center: KEF iQ6c
Fronts: KEF iQ9
Surrounds: KEF iQ3 on Sanus BF24 stands
Xbox 360 + HD-DVD Drive
60gig PS3

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

porksmash posted:

You and I pretty much have the exact same audio setup (I have the AVR-789). Even the rear stands are the same! It seems kind of cramped in there, how does it sound?

It sounds great and gets extremely loud. I was using Logitech Z680s before I got the receiver ~3 weeks ago and the iQ3s alone sounded way better, and the speakers don't hiss when nothing is being played which is a nice change.

Its a lot less cramped then how it was before since I only had ~3' between my desk and bed and was boxed in by the drawers I had my Macbook on. I had to change to this new setup because I had no place to put the receiver, or the fronts and center as you could see in my post near the top of the page, I was standing on my bed for that picture, the chair was touching the bed there.

I'm playing with the idea of picking up a subwoofer to go with it since it would make some things so much funner to listen to but I haven't decided yet.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I miss my setup already, I took it down friday morning and am storing it at my relatives for the next few years while I'm in the military. I will be envious of everyones ability to have their large speakers and TVs for the next few years while I'm stuck with headphones and a ~20" monitor instead of my $2000 surround sound and my 37" screen... But when I get out I'm going to buy a huge subwoofer and new TV.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

porksmash posted:

This Mitsu is my second. I moved recently and it cost more to get the old TV to my new place than it was worth, so I sold it and found this newer and larger one for about the same price I originally paid. Might as well post pics while I'm at it. I'm the first to admit the TV is probably too large for the room, but it makes watching movies pretty awesome. Since I live in an apartment now I was worried about bothering people, but I got positioned pretty well. I'm on the first floor, one neighbor is a stairwell, and the other neighbor (three walls away) is unoccupied at the moment, and the ceiling is concrete a foot thick. Haven't gotten any complaints yet :)

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Stuff:
KEF iQ9 fronts
KEF iQ6C center
KEF iQ3 surround
Epik Knight subwoofer
Denon AVR-789 receiver
PS3
HTPC
Squeezebox receiver
And of course the awesome reclining couch.

I approve of your sound setup, I must admit I am tempted to have mine shipped up here so I can use them in the barracks the next few years

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

My new setup temporarily. New 50" Samsung plasma is much more awesome than the 37" westinghouse I had.
Just need to wait now for my audio setup I bought a year ago to get up here along with my consoles and desktop computer. Borrowing my roommates xbox at the moment.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Got my speakers up here about a month ago and finally got my camera back yesterday so I could take some new photos of my little room setup. Still kinda want to get a subwoofer but all the ones I find that I'd buy the companies won't ship to Alaska.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

porksmash posted:

Are those older single-digit iQ speakers, or the newer double-digit iQ? (iQ5 vs iQ50). I moved recently and one of my iQ3s had it's cloth cover smashed in, also smashing the tweeter. I got reimbursed for the cost of the single speaker, but of course you can only purchase them in pairs. Not to mention iQ30s are twice as expensive as what I paid for a brand new retail pair the iQ3s. Now I suffer with a lopsided 4.1 system until I can find a replacement :(

The single digit ones, bought them back last January when they got discontinued for the new model and vanns and the like was blowing them out for cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Finally got mine all set up the way I want 9 months after I got my speakers up here. Just got the couch today. Changed from this back in June. Still kinda want to get a subwoofer but don't really need it.