Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
I spent almost $2,000 on my stereo (all bought used) so I didn't really have any money left over for an HDTV. Bubble TV's reprazent!

That said, it still kicks rear end.

Denon DVD-2800
Some cheap RCA 4 imput switcher
Denon PRA-1500 pre-amp
Rotel RB-980BX 120W p/ch stereo amp
Energy C-9 4-way tower speakers
Audioquest GBC speaker cables
Audio-Technica ATH-A700 headphones
PS2, Gamecube
Some old Philips 37" tube TV

The shell is off the DVD-2800 because I'm in the process of fixing it.

Will be moving into an apartment soon (I'm in a big, reflective garage currently) so SQ should improve, although I won't be able to play things nearly as loud. :(

Pibborando San fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

eatmymankey posted:

I'm pretty sure those Insignias are not magnetically shielde.

Hehe, just noticed that too. Large magnets + computer = :frogsiren: You can get some decent Sanus wood stands for around $40, or make your own.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Scrapez posted:

What appears to be a slot load pc dvd player hooked to a hidden htpc?

That's a Wii dude.

And I don't know what the mystery device is either. Perhaps an input switcher?

edit: Oh poo poo I missed the PS2 hidden to the left of the TV!

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Oh, it says "GameStop" on it. It's an input switcher isn't it.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Arson Equity posted:

Haha. I used to have those exact speakers (came with one of those cheap bookshelf audio systems). They sounded better than my lovely Logitech PC speakers but are still not very good at all.

I can't see your shopping cart dude, what is it?

At least separate them a bit, jesus. Like 3 feet atleast.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

coltron4040 posted:

This is to watch cable and pass out in.

I highly suggest you all get one of these chairs.

Dude where did you get it and how can I get it too.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

mrk posted:

Anyway, here's my entertainment:

So is photography a hobby or your job? Nice pics.

Beautiful speakers too.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Wait, mrk. So you listen with the speakers behind you? That's kinda weird...

Have you tried placing them both on the narrower wall (either on the other side of your bed or the opposite end of your room). That should get more coherent imaging.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Modena posted:

sweet home theater set-up

Is that screen acoustically transparent or something?

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

caldocane posted:

Why we can’t have OTHER nice things:

Oh my gently caress. That's the biggest HD I've ever seen. Nice speakers too.

I'd put a rug down a couple feet in front of that stuff though, to reduce the first floor reflections from the speakers and improve the sound a bit.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

eshbach posted:

I just set this up in the spare bedroom I've been using... McIntosh MA6100 driving the maggies.

This is not getting enough love. Maggies are wonderful, and a sweet amp to boot.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Have you tried putting the sub in the corner by the couch?

Also a larger sub will inherently be less tight than a smaller one because there's more mass to move around, unless there's much more power available to drive it. Of course, using a smaller sub in a large room will not sound ideal either. Perhaps a VTF-3 Mk3.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

You got those side shelves from Ikea didn't you? I would have used them myself but didn't the room. Nice setup.

I think you meant to quote Bumpon10s. :laugh:

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Copernicus posted:

My room is 12' long, 10.5' wide, and 8' tall.

:whatup: 12' x 10.5' x 8' room with tower speakers buddy. From another thread, my current digs:

Copernicus posted:

My understanding is bi-wiring is better? it's simple so i thought i'd do it. My center has 4 terminals, so i'm assuming i'll bi-wire that too. Or should I not?

Bi-wiring won't hurt... but it also doesn't help really (note: audiophiles may disagree). The only way it is beneficial is so you don't have to use the stock metal bridge that came with your speakers, which is usually made of some cheap crappy metal with "copper" plating. Putting short, nice speaker cable "jumpers" between the high and low posts will have the same benefit but use much less wire.

Bi-amping, however, is another story.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Chemmy posted:

I just can't find any speaker stands for what I'd call a reasonable price. I'd spend like $30 on each stand I guess, but any more than that and I wonder why a pole with some wood on top is so expensive.

Wellll...

David Aames posted:

Sound - Bose Acoustamas

Seriously man? Really?

Really?

If you upgrade anything, I'd work on unshitifying your sound first.

Pibborando San fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 2, 2007

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Qaz Kwaz posted:

this "really!?!?!?!" trend is lame as poo poo, but agreed

Yeah man, I should have added at least three more "really?"s to make it sweeter.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

dum2007 posted:

Also, there's a black/black Poang barely shown in that picture. That chair is gods gift to man.

I've wanted a Poang for a while now. Is it really as awesome as it looks?

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

bEatmstrJ posted:

So heres my setup:

Very sweet. Nice speakers too. One thing I'm wondering though: why is the right speaker placed where it is? I would think the optimal place would be just like where the left one is, but you know... on the other side. There doesn't seem to be anything in the way there... I'm confused. I'm really OCD about this kind of thing, so the asymmetry would drive me crazy. I spent about half an hour measuring and positioning my speakers JUST right, so they were perfectly symmetrical in their distance from either wall, the back wall, and toe in toward the listening position.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

bEatmstrJ posted:

The simple fact is that if we put it on the floor its kind of blocking the doorway

Oh, whoa. Didn't even notice there was a door there. I see. If you can't tell when listening, that's all that really matters.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Acc-Risk posted:

Overhaul time...

Those amps look like sex, as in, I want to have sex with them.

But you ARE going to get a new center to match the 683s... riiiiight?

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Omegaslast posted:

Wow those model 201s are nice.

Though i never will understand having an amp thats worth more than the speaker itself.

Yeah, I just looked up those amps. They SERIOUSLY outclass your speakers and receiver. The Anthem will be a better match. And you've spent that much, have a nice TV and yet no HD-DVD or BluRay?

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Omegaslast posted:

The problem with amps is i dont think they make more than 10% of a sound difference.

I agree with that. I think your source (DAC), and pre-amp units are much more important for the sound QUALITY. I don't think I'm going to be parting with my Rotel RB-980BX for a good while.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

OgreSound posted:

PC games rule because I can play them on this.

I like that desk. I'm looking for a desk myself, something real basic/minimal but not lovely/cheap, contemporary but not gaudy, glass top preferred. Where'd you get that and for how much?

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Just wanted to celebrate the arrival of my new B&W CM1s this morning. These are the most flawless used speakers I've ever received. They look new and I got them for $300 less than retail!

Camera's dead so here's a crappy cell phone pic.

edit: Alright. I feel like an artsy whore but I really love these speakers.

Pibborando San fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 6, 2007

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Random pictures because I'm a whore!

edit: Just ordered a bunch of acoustic panels from ATS Acoustics. I've been put off of acoustic treatment because of cost, but these are the least expensive panels I've seen anywhere and they look great! Come in a bunch of colors and you can get custom sizes. I'll snap some pics when I've got them installed.

Pibborando San fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 5, 2007

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

greatapoc posted:

Turntable: Music Hall MMF-9
Amp: Musical Fidelity A3.5
Phono Amp: Musical Fidelity X-LPSv3
Headphone Amp: Musical Fidelity X-CANv3
CD Player: Some Denon
Headphones: AKG K701
TV: Panasonic TH-42PV60A
Speakers: B&W 703

Very sweet stuff you got there. Think you've got enough CDs? I'm sure there's more I'm not seeing. Nice TT too. I'm looking at a MMF 5.1 for my first. Tell me it's gonna rock, kay? :3:

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Is it like this? Because that's what I'm looking to get to replace the sad excuse for a desk I'm using now (an armoire).

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

You're an '04 and you used imageshack?

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

ScaryFast posted:

I was planning to get the RC bookshelves with the matching tweeters and woofers(they match the RC-30's) but they're $800 and I don't feel like dropping that right now.

No they're not?

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

I posted mine a few pages ago but I've since added and updated some components.

Hey thar

Got a Wii as a nice Christmas present (to myself)

The Zune 80 I bought sitting in another present, the new Zune dock. It's hooked up to my stereo.

The Samsung "black friday special" 22" widescreen LCD I got to replace my old ViewSonic. Also got myself a nice Logitech wireless kb/m combo.

Stage one of my acoustic panel install. They were only $20 each. ATS Acoustics is pretty awesome.

The whole she-bang.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

ManWhatADork posted:

Monoprice.com has the Wii component cables for only $6.39.

Christ. Those are $25 at BestBuy (~ $10 with my discount) and the official Nintendo ones are $60.

Oh monoprice... :glomp:

Of course, I already bought them but still.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

blackmage posted:

do you really find that 480p is that much better than 480i?

Yes. However, with that said it's more that the component cables will provide a FAR better looking picture than a composite cable can, even if both are set to 480i.

When I first got my HDTV and hooked my PS2 up to it with the standard composite cable, I was less than impressed. The image was blurry, muddy, dim and ghosted badly. I went out and got some PS3 component cables (which also work with the PS2), hooked them up and was blown away. The image was much brighter and had far better contrast. The colors were lifelike and vibrant, and everything was sharp and crisp. And that's before I enabled 480p! Holy poo poo.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0027 posted:

I finally got a real TV so now I can post in this thread. :)

Sweet deal, but your audio configuration is giving me an OCD panic attack when I look at that image. One speaker inches from a rear barrier while the other is far from the wall. One closer to the TV while the other is father and closer to the viewer. The center channel off center?! I need to go lie down.

Of course, this is coming from someone who spent at least an hour with a measuring tape, adjusting and readjusting the positioning and angle of his speakers so they'd be PERFECTLY symmetrical in his room.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

The Jizzer posted:

Here's mine:

Hot. I really want to demo some Vandies (specifically 2CE Sig IIs) but there's no dealers around. How are your 1Cs? Too bad you couldn't give them more room to breath. I like how those end caps match your TV stand though.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

Vandersteen.com lists a dealer in Eugene, OR. Yeah, it's not particularly close, but it would still only be a day trip to go out and audition the speakers.

Oh nice. Why didn't I see that before? And they have Era speakers too which I've been wanting to hear. Might have to take a little trip soon...

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

My new speakers came today. I thought they looked good in pictures but my GOD in person they are astoundingly gorgeous. Then I got them hooked up to my stereo and the sound just blew me away. Easily the best sounding (and looking) speakers I've ever owned, I'm dumbfounded by how much detail these things resolve and how deep they play for a 2-way with 5.25" woofers. They are a revelation! I'm so very happy.

Now for pictures. Here's what I found when I came home from class...

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

pim01 posted:

Those look stunning, nice finish! I see you set them up with quite a bit of toe-in - leftover from your previous setup or did you experiment a bit already?

Thanks, the wood looks amazing in person. I don't know if I'd say "quite a bit" of toe-in, they're a little more than 10 degrees I'd say. I had my previous speakers, B&W CM1s, toed-in even more, since that helped focus their imaging. With these, it doesn't seem to matter if they're facing straight ahead or angled directly at the listener, the soundstage and imaging stays consistently focused.

The tweeter's high end response does start to roll off a little off-axis, so I have them angled such that their response sounds neutral to me. And I am so very impressed with the sound of these. Simply put, they do pretty much everything right. Well recorded music simply sounds real. They will relentlessly reveal bad recordings though, but they don't shove it in your face. If there's sibilance, you can "see" it clearly, almost hanging in the air, instead of being shot into your ears like needles. I've only heard this level of detail retrieval before whilst wearing my DT 880s.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

tropical posted:

Holy crap those look awesome. Pardon my ignorance, but what brand/model are they?

They are Onix Reference 1.5s. Discontinued, so you can only find them used now (which is how I got such a good deal).

edit: You can, however, still get the bookshelf version, as well as their top of the line Reference 3 (which I've vowed to be mine when I can actually afford them).

Pibborando San fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 2, 2008

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

My new sub came yesterday afternoon. It's a Hsu VTF-2 Mk3. I would say this is the first REAL sub I've owned (ie capable out serious output below 20Hz) and it's AMAZING. Very tight, not boomy, and will nearly cave in my room when watching big bass heavy movies. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

RandomG posted:

I gotta say, after all that, the Grado sr-60s as your headphones doesn't make sense...

Yeah he should save up for some GS 1000s.

Might as well update with my latest AV purchase, a new Panasonic TH-42PZ80U!