Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Finally done and happy with my setup, wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought it would be.

Onkyo TX-NR414
Aperion Intimus 4T and 4C front/center.
Polk PSW10
Some other Polks that were part of my HTIB are mounted up as surrounds, don't recall the model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I guess you don't need to watch TV during the day anyway, right? =)

Hah yeah, when I first moved in, TV during the day was impossible. I was so angry at the builder's decision to make the the TV wall the one covered in windows (it's all pre-wired for this setup).

They're heavily tinted now though, and it's not an issue at all. It's not nearly as bright as you'd think.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

BusinessWallet posted:

What is that coffee table?

That's from a local designer. It's actually made from 100+ year old utility 'poles', one end is still has the holes where the insulators were attached.

http://petrifieddesign.tumblr.com/

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Play MKV files from (windows) network share
Netflix
HBO GO

Why is it so difficult to get a single box that does these three things? Does anyone know of one? I have an original boxee that won't do HBO GO. The Roku won't play files from a network share. WD TV has no HBO GO. Raspberry pi/xbmc won't do hbo go or netflix.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Plex isn't free, and it's more because of the principle: why should I have to buy an app to transcode and stream file types that the box can play natively? Just because it can't see a network share? That's such a trivial thing to include, I don't understand why it's left out. Also these media server apps are never perfect, there's always something that doesn't work well in my experience.

Sorry for the derail.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 9, 2013

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

KillHour posted:

It's also completely amazing. Get it. My only regret is that I only bought the 720p Roku, since I was going to use it in my bedroom. I liked it so much, I moved it into the living room, and it replaced my PS3 as my DLNA client of choice.

So you have no problems at all playing mkv's with this setup? What about dolby digital/DTS audio? Is that passed through to your receiver?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

catch22 posted:

Any suggestions for surge protectors that will fit behind a wall mounted tv?

You could always just swap the receptacle for one for one of these. An outlet with built-in surge protection.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5280-W-Suppressor-Receptacle-Industrial/dp/B0006I33Y6/

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

niss posted:

Yeah, thats like the first rule, always go bigger than what you think cause really quickly it will start to look small. :(

Heh, I was worried that the 65" i got was going to be too close for my seating distance, and the first thing I thought after hanging it on the wall was "maybe i should have sprung for the 75?"

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Dredd in 3D is fun.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Back when I had a similar setup I put the center channel inside the fireplace.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Well obviously you take it out if you're going to make a fire. It wasn't mounted or anything, just sitting there. You couldn't see it either with the metal curtain thing closed. A really simple solution, I'd recommend it if you don't use the fireplace constantly in the winter.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

KillHour posted:

I've had several people suggest that. The problem is it's a wood burning fireplace and I really don't want my speaker covered in ash.

So was mine, i just draped a piece of cloth over it to catch any ash that might fall from the flue :shrug: worked fine

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Yeah I cant really tell what's go on there.. did you 'hide' the stuff by turning off all the lights before taking the pic or what

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Rinaldi posted:

I have a future AV set-up in the works. We have a partially finished basement and are considering turning one of the unfinished rooms into a theater. I've budgeted for the remodel but haven't started talking to any contractors yet. We initially were thinking it'd be a fun long-term DIY project but seeing as how we don't have any experience in framing, drywalling, etc and that we want it to actually not look like garbage, we decided to leave some of that up to professionals. So, I'm hoping to get some advice;

Pic from what will likely be the back of the room.

Pic from the front looking back. To the left is the finished portion of the basement. To the right is an unfinished room we are using for storage. That white pipe is for the radon mitigation system.

Yes, it is currently dingy and gross. The stuff on the walls was there when we bought it. The rough room dimensions are 21' x 11.5' with a ceiling that is 7'10" tall.

I've never built a theater but here are some ideas:

-We probably need to frame it. There's piping for our radon mitigation system in the back so we'd need to figure out a way to frame around it but keep it accessible I guess? What kind of stuff is reasonable to keep the rattling down and insulate the sound? I want it to be decent and don't want to sound like a dumbass talking to the contractor. I've read putting rock wool or some other kind of insulation behind the drywall is a good idea.

-The ceiling. The ceiling isn't very tall so we can't really do a drop ceiling. I'm guessing we just do a standard ceiling or small drop and stuff some sort of insulation up there?

-Wiring and lights. Currently there are no outlets, so we'll have to get an electrician to add some. We'd also add an outlet on the ceiling to plug the projector in. We would get rid of those two fluorescent lights and maybe do dimmable rope lights in crown moulding? Maybe wall sconces?

-Equipment - Obviously need a projector, screen, and speakers. I'll worry about those specifics later. I'm thinking freestanding speakers.
In-wall looks better but seem like a pain and I'm guessing not as functional. Would anything higher than 5.1 be worth it? I'm thinking I'll put the equipment rack in an adjacent unfinished room to free up space and decrease heat in the room.

-Ventilation - There are a couple vents in the nearby finished part of the basement, but none in this unfinished room. It stays cool year-round, maybe chilly in the winter but that's what blankets are for. I was planning on leaving it without vents unless the heat from a single projector would somehow cause the temperature to rise to unpleasant levels.

So, that's where I'm at so far. Any opinions or suggestions? Does anyone that has already been through the process of building a theater have any pearls of wisdom or warnings of potential pitfalls?

Honestly, I don't think you need to frame that at all. For a proper theater, you'd hang heavy black theater drapes all around the room. Not only will this dampen the sound but it will making hiding the cables and everything stupidly easy. Of course it will also cover up the existing walls and make it look like a theater.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Something like this is the closest I could find to what I had in mind from a quick google search.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
There's no way that was you, modern lcd screens are really tough