Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I took the plunge a week-and-a-half ago, and splashed out on a proper receiver and speakers, to complement my Bravia 40X350A.

I got a proper stand for the TV, too, so it looks pretty neat with the 360, PS3 and receiver. Soon to be added is a WD TV, for playing back my digital media.

Receiver is a Yamaha RXV-863, powering a set of Sonor Audio (local company) HT-M speakers. No sub in the package, since the mains are tuned for excellent low-frequency response. After this weekend's test run at... questionable volume levels, I'm pretty convinced I won't need a sub, at least not while I'm in my current apartment.

Now if only my god drat HDMI cables would arrive, so I can connect everything up and tie up my cabling, I'd be happier. After that I just need to get speaker stands for the surrounds. Any ideas on what to avoid (as far as material/construction goes)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Battlegoat posted:

My sub arrived the other day...

It rocks. Anyone looking for a subwoofer should consider an Epik, assuming you don't have a strict size limit. :)

That's enormous.
It makes the little Sony 15-incher I purchased look... like a Sony :downs:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
What's the general consensus on Buttkickers?
Because I got on on Friday, attached it to my couch and IT'S loving AWESOME.

Totally worth the money, I think, especially if you live in a multilevel apartment block where big, window-rattling subwoofers are going to annoy the neighbours.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

dawiyo posted:

I've wanted to check those out for some time now. Is there any way you think the neighbors would feel the vibrations?

No, they won't.

Simple physics dictates that the floor cannot be moved (yes, technically it will move at an atomic level or whatever) but it's too heavy for there to be an impact from a relatively insignificant force like a speaker or Buttkicker.

Add to this the isolation pads you need for the device to work properly. Each couch foot has thick rubber isolation pad (included in the LFE kit, if you're looking at Buttkicker's site), and this prevents the energy from being grounded.

The best bit for me is that I didn't have to modify my couch in any way, to set it up (though I probably will, now, to get it working a lot better). You just use the couch mount kit, pop the mounting plate under a couch foot and you're good to go. It'll take like 15 minutes to get shakin' :dance:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Omegaslast posted:

I had an 880 and hated how it didnt remember what was on and off, also i had to point it at all the poo poo for ages.

I have an 1100 and it's terrible. Why can't I just make my OWN remote layout rather than having to use their lovely Java software to reprogram crappy presets?
All I want is on-screen playback controls for my WDTV, while having the volume buttons control my AV receiver.

My Yamaha receiver's remote does a better job of being an all-in-one (with macro functions) than Logitech's flagship $400 remote.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

army_of_babies posted:

How does your subwoofer like being on a hard surface? I had my Klipsch Sub12 on a hard surface just to end up watching it try to run away.

Put something heavy on it. If it's too light, it's not doing its job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

MMD3 posted:

wait, why would you want your MPC to have a small SSD?

Because spinning hard drives can be noisy?

Because having a responsive computer is nice?