Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

jonathan posted:

So I need to make a decision: the "stage" measures 135" x 85". Obviously I can't run the screen right to the bottom.

If I DIY the projector screen, I can go 7'1" wide by 48" high which gives me a 94" diagonal 16:9 screen. I have to leave room on the sides for the speakers.

The other option would be to build a stage, and buy an acoustically transparent screen, and go the full 135" wide, or perhaps slightly less so that I can have a frame. This would require putting the front 3 speakers behind the screen. Viewing distance will be roughly 10 feet away for the front row. I will be putting the rear row on a riser, but its hard to calculate how high the riser needs to be to give the rear row a proper view.

The store bought solution could give me a screen size of around 135"x78" at the large end. Is this too big of a screen ?

I don't know if you've bought all your crap yet, but I got my screen from this dude. They're based out of Surrey, too, so they even voided the shipping fee and it arrived on my doorstep the next day in Vancouver.

ante fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Projectors "warming up" aren't really a thing anymore. I went with that option because I have my project and screen mounted on the wall, with the screen remotely folding up. Basically, when I don't want to watch a movie, my setup has zero footprint. And I got a full setup (projector, screen, mounting equipment) for about $600, for what basically amounts to a 720p 100" TV. 1080p wouldn't have been much more.

It's something to look into, anyway, you shouldn't immediately write off that option.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What's the best method for running cables along a ceiling and then down a wall? My last place I just bundled the cables and used sticky anchors to run them along the corners. The girlfriend has vetoed that for the new place.

I was looking for white split loom, but apparently it's hard to find because it gets dirty very easily.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

MrEnigma posted:

We're building a new house and wanted to maybe sneak in a theater room. Problem is currently the spot may be quite small. Haven't got final plans back, but maybe 10x20 or so.

Our last house I did in walls in the downstairs family room, motorized screen, etc. I think it was roughly 120" or so.

I still have the projector (Epson 3020e) and front floor standing speakers/center. Was planning on maybe doing all in wall this time, with a fixed screen.

My big question is, is 10x10 or 10x11 or so enough space for a theater room? (Honestly just looking for a couch and maybe a bean bag or two, if we get fancy we'd build up with tiers allowing mutiple levels.

You can find online calculators that will have the optimal throw distance of your projector for a given screen size, and an optimal viewing distance, too. Should give you some ideas.