Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
drat you, you've forced me to take pictures.

Exhibit A: A/V rack. From the top: Optoma H79 1280x720 DLP projector, Xbox360 (and wireless adapter), PS3, Oppo 971 DVD player, DVDO iScan VP50 video processor, Yamaha R-V1100 (I think) A/V receiver that is quite possibly older than me with a Minolta light meter sitting on top for no real reason. Not pictured: Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player.

Exhibit B: Studiotek 130 100" 16:9 screen by Stewart and some Mitsubishi speakers that I picked up at a garage sale for $20. Also a box from an NEC projector that I should be testing right now, and this thread on my laptop.

Exhibit C: From the screen back towards the projector. There's that little NEC again and the DVD rack in the corner.

EDIT: The Wii is downstairs on the main TV until my wireless sensor bar shows up.

King Hotpants fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 19, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Scrapez, you have some great components, and a projector that's on its way out. Thinking of upgrading?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Clown posted:

Panasonic PT-AE1000U

Jorenko posted:

Mitsubishi HD1000U

YES YES YES YES. I recommend these two projectors a lot. The Mits is the least expensive way to get into HD projection, and it looks loving fantastic. The AE1000 is just breathtaking -- and for $4K or so, you really can't go wrong.

Cold Old posted:

Panasonic PT-AE300U

You can probably snag a Panny AE900, which was discontinued recently and should be cheap -- or if not, a Sanyo Z4 would fit really well, and be a gigantic improvement.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Lt. Jebus posted:

Like was said in the HDTV thread, its a real issue that has been completely blown out of proportion.

There are a whole poo poo-ton of A/V issues that have been completely blown out of proportion by AVS forums. Those guys will get in a snit about anything. This list includes:

DLP rianbows
vertical banding on LCDs
screen-door effect and interpixel gap
gaming lag on flatscreens
your mother

I just stopped reading them a while ago, because no matter how minor the problem, they will make it sound like the end of the world.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Juriko posted:

-Sanyo z5

Not only is the setup pretty incredible for a dorm room, but you picked a hell of a projector. I love that thing. :D Sanyo really hit it out of the park this year, I think. Is it working out well for you?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Primo posted:

Panasonic PT-AE700 projector

Pros: A consistently good projector, popular for a reason
Cons: Well, it's not HD (1080p that is)

The AE700 is indeed HD. 1280x720 is High Definition. It irks me to no end that people are already thinking of 720p as "less-than." 1280x720 is excellent, and if you're feeding it standard def material, it won't matter anyhow. The AE700 has very good onboard scaling.

quote:

Pioneer VSX-1015 A/V receiver

Pros: Plenty of inputs and functions
Cons: No HDMI, no video conversion

With the AE700 you really don't want to convert video anyhow. See above re: scaling.

quote:

Pioneer DV-575 DVD player

Pros: Good value player, especially when you change the firmware
Cons: Bit noisy compared to my old player (an early Pioneer, can't remember exact model)

You might want to look into the Oppo 971 or the Denon DVD-1910 (discontinued). Excellent players, not much money.

I really don't know a thing about speakers so I won't comment on those, but all in all it sounds like a nice setup. What kind of screen are you projecting on?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Have you tried plugging in the gamecube directly? The projector should auto-switch sources for you when it starts up.

I've heard bad things about using gray paint instead of a purpose-built gray screen. I did my own testing with a gray DIY screen versus a Stewart Grayhawk :love: and the gray DIY screen just sucked all the brightness out of the picture. What kind of paint did you use?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Primo, if you get the chance, I'd love to see what it'd look like with a piece of white posterboard next to it, like a side-by-side shot.

I know that taking a picture of a projected image doesn't really tell us poo poo, but it'd be educational to hear your observations. I'm always looking to help people who want a projector but can't quite afford a good screen.

I'll keep rolling with Stewart though :D

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Sonny, back in my day, we were lucky to get 300 ANSI out of a good HT projector, and we appreciated every drat lumen, too.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Juriko posted:

I AM OLDER THAN YOU

So why don't you go play with your HTiB AND and your 2002 30 inch plasma!

30 inch plasmas are for sissies. Projectors on 100" screens are where it's at. ;)

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

poopzilla posted:

^^^ go poo poo somewhere else, :regd07: ^^^

Don't do this.

Congratulations, you're my first probation. Enjoy your nap.

EDIT: And for the record, Omegaslast, don't bash other people's gear in this thread.

King Hotpants fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 24, 2007

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Owsla posted:

PROJECTOR!

I swear, every time I see a projector in this thread, I smile. It's like a secret brotherhood of the REALLY REALLY REALLY BIG picture.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
It pains me to have to remind you all of this, but ripped HD DVD, Blu-Ray, or filez in general are :siren: :siren: BANNABLE :siren: :siren:

King Hotpants posted:

6. No filez. In a forum dealing peripherally with a lot of digital media and DRM issues, this is going to be hard to do, but please. No talking about filez, no making sideways wise-rear end remarks about filez (like "boy if only there was a way for me to get that movie for free" or "Wow I can't wait for a rip to come out" ), just pretend they don't exist. Filez aren't tolerated on the rest of SA, and they aren't tolerated here.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2390007

Please, please, PLEASE read the rules.

Do not talk about them.

King Hotpants fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 1, 2007

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
If you own the DVD/HD DVD, it's legal. If you don't, it's not. Centralizing all of YOUR content on an HDD is one thing, downloading content you don't own is another. I don't see how this is hard.

If you think I'm being unreasonable, please say so. There's so many potential DRM/piracy issues in a forum that deals with primarily copy-protected content that I'd like to know how best to discuss them.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Chemmy posted:

First off, everyone needs to stop talking about HD-DVD rips. Secondly, why would you bother with HD-DVD rips when you have a 480p projector?

Even on a 480p projector, HD looks better than SD.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

jegHegy posted:

That's easily understandable, but how's the dot pitch on those things? Don't you get a huge visible grid on your wall?

Inter-pixel gap on the older 480p projectors isn't too bad at all. Sure, it's worse than the newer stuff in 720p and 1080p, but that's where viewing distance comes in.

If you're sitting at 1.5x the screen width like you're supposed to, you're sitting far enough away that the pixels blend together a bit, and all you see is a pretty picture.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

King Hotpants posted:

Exhibit A: A/V rack. From the top: Optoma H79 1280x720 DLP projector, Xbox360 (and wireless adapter), PS3, Oppo 971 DVD player, DVDO iScan VP50 video processor, Yamaha R-V1100 (I think) A/V receiver that is quite possibly older than me with a Minolta light meter sitting on top for no real reason. Not pictured: Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player.

Exhibit B: Studiotek 130 100" 16:9 screen by Stewart and some Mitsubishi speakers that I picked up at a garage sale for $20.

EDIT: The Wii is downstairs on the main TV until my wireless sensor bar shows up.

My Optoma H79 lamp blew out, so I swapped it for a Sanyo PLV-Z5. I also added a Wii (thanks to a wireless sensor bar velcro'd to the bottom of the screen frame) and removed the DVD player in favor of using the HD DVD player or PS3 to upconvert. Now I have all three game systems and both HD formats on a 720p projector, and my audio system is still poo poo. :)

King Hotpants fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 9, 2007

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Using hard-and-fast rules about something that is largely if not entirely personal preference is incredibly stupid.

Disclosure: I have the center of my screen at 64" off the ground, but it's a 120" diagonal screen. That puts the bottom of the screen at 29" off the floor. Having an itty bitty TV all the way up there is dumb.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Just had my theater totally redone with an Epson Ensemble HD system.

Before:

After:

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
The left/center/right speakers are attached to the screen housing. The surrounds are on the sides of the projector. The sub is a 10" powered model and it's sitting in the corner.

This particular model normally costs $5,000, but I'm evaluating it for work. It's a neat concept - an entire home theater for $5K. 1080p projector, 100" motorized screen, 5.1 surround, universal remote with macro, installs in a weekend. For the price, a dedicated do-it-yourselfer could come up with something that looks and sounds a little better, but there are plenty of folks out there who aren't willing to do the research and agonize over every component of the system. This is for them.

Also, I'm much more of a video stickler than I am for audio, and the Epson 6100 is a really nice projector. The sound system is (a) loud and (b) better than what I had in there, so it's all good with me.

And please don't post in all lowercase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Not an Anthem posted:

KHP forgive the ignorant question but do you get any sceen movement at all with high volume? Whether from the projector screen or the projector?

The only time I get screen movement is when I have the ceiling fan on super high. Nothing from the speakers.