Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Speakers: Energy C5
Amp: NAD C320BEE
DVD Player: NAD T514
Monitor: Samsung 22"
Headphones: Sennheiser HD595

You can also see the wireless mouse in the foreground, the thing it's sitting on is attached to the couch which is too close to see. The C5s are completely :awesome: and I got them B-stock for $450 which was a pretty great deal. I don't remember what exactly they go down to on the low-end but I've made them shake a room before, they are truly fullrange and a sub would be pretty overkill except for maybe a HT setup in a huge room.

When I got them however I was in a house with roommates and we had a big den they were great for, but now in my tiny rear end apartment they don't have nearly enough room to really shine. They need to be about 10-12' apart and listened to from (very roughly) 20' away to get the best soundstage and whatnot. They were really amazing at my old place where I had them setup like that. Also here they face the door and I can't have them very loud which sucks, but that's why I've got the 595s which are also awesome. I had a pair HD600 for a while and I actually prefer the 595s, they really are that good, and the output from C320BEE is great. I can listen at work too so I use them all the time.

I've got a Xitel HiFi Link thingy for audio out from the PC. It's a really nice gadget that sounds great and is a pretty good value for $50 since it also comes with 30' of RCA cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

mayodreams posted:

No offense but I can't imagine what people think the point of having a center channel is when it's a foot away from the main speakers :psyduck:

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Juriko posted:

Which is very useful when it comes to dealing with levels. The big thing I miss from moving from my 5.1 setup to a stereo setup is being able to just turn up the center channels volume on quiet dialog tracks.

True, I didn't think of that. However in the larger 'surround sound' sense it's not doing much at all and if you want to control levels there are far less expensive and simpler ways to do so, like having a graphic equalizer.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

With the perfect little nook above the fireplace (I don't use it) and the opposite wall blank white and perpendicular, I knew I'd probably never have an apartment more perfect for a projector setup.

The speakers are Energy C-5, I love em, think they're discontinued now though.

Mitsubishi HC4900 (beautiful, black performance is the only real weak point)
NAD C320BEE (with an HDMI auto switch dealie on top)
Completely lovely LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player that has shat itself on 2 different Blu-Ray titles (Sunshine and The Bourne Supremacy, both times with multiple discs tried). It's also incredibly slow, I only got it because I already had Planet Earth on HD-DVD and my 360 HD-DVD died completely (well out of warranty).
Music Hall MMF 2.2 and the little red guy is a tube phono preamp, sounds fantastic

I actually don't even use this screen and was just taking these pictures in order to sell it. The screen was pretty cheap (for a 100") so you can barely tell the difference from just the bare wall (I stupidly bought the screen before moving in), and using the wall it can throw a roughly 120" image.

Watching Planet Earth on a 120" screen is the reason Jesus gave us 1080P. You can just barely see the not-full-height wall from the 1st picture off to the right to give some scale.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Pibborando San posted:

Dogcow, that's a nice looking setup you've got, but your C-5's feet are on backwards. You may not care, or maybe it was on purpose. I used to own some C-9s. Great sounds for movies.

Hah, nice, they are indeed, but they keep them upright and quite stable so no don't care :)

Scrapez posted:

That's a nice little setup. Your seating seems a bit close for a 120" screen, though. I am running a 135" now and with my chairs at about 12' it seems a bit close to me. They recommend 14' at the closest for the 135" screen.

It is all subjective though so it comes down to what looks good to you.

I actually did it first just to see how big of an image I could get thinking it would probably be stupidly huge and headache-inducing. It is stupidly huge but not headache inducing and actually pretty awesome. It's just on the edge of too big for the distance from the couch. I will say however I think 1080p is pretty much pointless under a certain size (maybe 60" at a reasonable viewing distance), whereas this large it does make a real (visible) difference, especially in nature films and action movies. Dark Knight was fantastic, especially because I'm all of 8 or 10 blocks west of half the filming locations in the loop :D

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Panasonic TC-P55ST50 55" Plasma, got as a floor model about 4 years ago
JVC DLA RS46 on Chief RPMA281 mount
Elite Screens CineTension2 84" 16:9
Marantz NR1403 5.1 receiver
Axiom M60 v3 floorstanding mains, got on a nice discount as B stock
Axiom EP125 v4 sub
Axiom VP100 in wall center - I got the in wall just because it was the only center small enough to sit inside that compartment in the TV stand/entertainment center, works great though.
Axiom in ceiling surrounds - can see them right behind the back row of lights in the 3rd shot, they don't appear to offer these anymore but they work well for this setup.
Sources are a cheap "Mediaworx" tuner for local channels, Apple TV, PS4 and a PC that's sitting on the other side of the wall in the unfinished part of the basement.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate remote is sitting on the table, I only want to chuck it through the wall every other time I accidentally hit pause and rewind at the same time and it puts the projector into 3D mode for no reason which spins up the fans to 747 take off setting.
There's a 2x1 switch behind the TV to switch from projector to TV as the Marantz only has one HDMI out. I tried a splitter and two different switches (that had remotes) and all crapped out in different ways so dumb one button switch it is.

Rocket League, Broforce and Towerfall: Ascension get regular play on 360 controllers, and with a big rear end projector screen you can kind of actually see what you're doing with 4 people playing (except in Broforce).

Dogcow fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 3, 2016

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

jonathan posted:

I really like that grey for the walls etc. Enough that im going to copy that for my setup.

It's Sherman Williams' "Cyberspace" :lol:

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Filthy Hans posted:

Quick question: I see lots of setup diagrams for stereo have the speakers firing in the exact same direction (i.e. directly away from the wall that they're backed up to) but when I see pictures of people's setups they sometimes have the speakers aimed directly at the listener instead. What's the difference?

The nerds call it "toe in". The theory is that since higher frequencies are more directional they should be clearer or whatever when aimed directly at the listening position. On the other hand doing that too much can maybe hurt the stereo separation and "image" a little. It's really just personal preference, try it both ways and see what you like (or if you can even tell a difference).

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

7.2.4 is the only way to go in life.

lol, is the '.4' the convention for Atmos now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Moved over the summer, mostly new setup now:

LG B6 OLED
Speakers are all Axiom Audio, same as my last post from a while ago except rears which are QS8s.
Denon X1200

Sources:
Roku 4
Xbone S
AppleTV
Steam Link

:whatup:

:getin: