Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moved into a new place and decided I wanted something that sounded better than my old sony home theatre in a box.

Did some research and then started waiting for deals on craigslist and local retailers.

View from the balcony (also the same from the bedroom and dining room)

At night:

And the new setup

40" Bestbuy brand 1080p LCD (Calibrated, temporary TV going to the bedroom)

Pioneer VSX-919-AH-K receiver
Samsung BluRay player with wifi (and usb hdd for streaming downloaded movies)
Xbox
Telus Optik signal service/pvr

Klipsch F2 Floor speakers, C2 center, S2 surrounds, and the Klipsch 12" sub

I'm running monoprice 12g speaker wire with banana plugs.

Floating shelf thing is from Ikea. I took this picture on Monday after wiring it up and hadn't had a chance to tie up the power cords.

I did the full mcacc calibration and have everything under 80hz going to the sub. The sub is turned down pretty low. If I wasnt in a condo I would turn it up more but I don't know if they can hear the sub downstairs. It's a cement floor but the sub is downfiring.

evening listening level is -25db. I haven't had any complaints. I have the sub gain at just above 1/4 gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BrettRobb posted:

Nice system jonathan, I've taken the grills off mine since I took the photo. Its growing on me. What tv you planning on upgrading to?

I actually leave the grills on, however it looks cooler with them off. I figure when I have guests over for movie night I'll take them off.

The tv I'm going for is this one : http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN58C550G1FXZA

The Class 5 58" plasma. I'm going to be doing a winch and air compressor setup on my jeep first though, so I might wait for the new year before I pull the trigger on a big tv.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ignore this. Thought I was on the last page.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 11, 2010

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sterster posted:

I really enjoy my make shift av cabinet as I only have 4 components. This cabinet fits my needs with the 3 bays for equipment and the triplite sit on top of this. I did have to drill 1 1/2in hole through the top to run my cables but this is out of site as it is mounted above the couch. I just about finished my setup so hope to have pictures for you guys.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10176273

Check out my pictures a page or two back. I have the same piece, however I mounted it as a floating unit on the wall.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dankness posted:

Figured I would add my current two setups for you guys since I've been drooling over many of yours:

First, my living room setup is where I listen to my vinyl and airtunes

Marantz 2265B
2 x Sansui SP-2500
Project Debut III w/stock cartridge (hopefully upgrading w/Christmas cash)

Second, my gaming setup in my man room

50"Samsung DLP
Sansui QR-4500
2 x Sansui J33 bookshelf speakers
Hyper gaming PC

I did a search for opinions on thos SP-2500's. I would love to hear something like those side by side with a set of Vintage Klipsch Heresy's. Two very different designs for speakers with similar sensitivity and positive reviews.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

devmd01 posted:

Spent some time this evening getting the new bedroom tv installed. Ran electrical, re-routed the existing network drops I already had pulled to the room, and put hdmi keystones in the wall for connectivity.

lovely cellphone pic:

LG 32LE5300
WDTV Live Plus HD
U-Verse STB

I want to get that LE5300 in the 55" version. Did you doublecheck to make sure you got the IPS panel ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poxin posted:

Just moved into my new apartment and got everything wired up. Shame I can't get my subwoofer to work at all. The PC off to the left is only there temporarily until I get a longer cable to hide it.

You should move your left/right fronts so they're level with the center channel. The tweeters on the front channels should always be on the same plane. This will allow way better imaging and pans.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

falz posted:

Looks nice, power strip even seems in order.

Moving the speakers seems much more applicable to Godinster a few posts ago. If jonathan did it it would look pretty terrible.

Huh ? I have 13 devices and 1 visible cord (tv power/hdmi). It's hardly a terrible setup. Either way, keeping the fronts on the same level is fairly important. I find it really distracting when the center channel emits sound from way up or below the rest of the sound.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

afen posted:

It's mine. Oh yes, it's mine!

One word: Power!

What were you powering the speakers from before ? Did you notice a difference ? I'm thinking of going with the Emotiva XPA-5 (200wattx5) and their pre/pro and I'm wondering how much more detail I'll get out of the system with lower volume levels. "They" say that the biggest difference is when listening at lower volumes than when listening loud.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

falz posted:

Whoops, I listed the wrong name- I was talking about poxin's pictures. Every time I've set my own systems up I've always had the center below the TV, L/R speakers centered vertically with the screen and it's always sounded fine.

If poxin moved his fronts up I think it would look strange. Visual appeal seems like a decent trade off to me.

I posted a pic when I first got my setup wired in and the wires were a mess so I thought you were refering to that, but since then I've built a false wall out of hardboard which hides the wiring. If I wasnt in a condo they're be tucked away in a rack.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Naffer posted:

I have the same fronts and absolutely love them, but I added a 12 inch sub and you really can feel the difference. I don't have the center so my system is just a 4.1 right now. I just feel like I can't justify $200 for the center when I'm so happy with what I have right now.

I disagree, I would rather have a 3.1 system or even a 3.0 system than a 4.1 system. I feel that, atleast for 5.1 channel stuff, the center channel is the most important in the whole setup.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bigdee4933 posted:

Your dorm mates will hate you if you get one. Even my little 8 inch subwoofer I had my freshman year rattled all the doors on my side of the hall. Dorm rooms are not really made to hold sound.

The larger your main/center speakers, The less you need to rely on a lovely sounding sub. I bet some big speakers, with a larger sub would have annoyed your room mates less. I'm running floorstanding speakers, and a 12" sub 300watt amp (600 watt peak), and have never had a complaint.

With small speakers and an 8" sub, you're going to get that booming bass for anything under 150hz, and it all sounds like the same tone. Just a flat single bass tone for anything that isn't dialogue. It's annoying as hell. With my setup, you can't really tell you have a sub, there are no overbearing tones, they just extend deeper into the low frequency range (I can feel tones at 19hz and start to hear them at 21hz).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EC posted:

Any thoughts on these speakers? Amazon has got 'em for $249 right now, and I'm tempted to pull the trigger just so I can replace my ugly, bigger Onkyo speakers that I got awhile back. Mainly because the wife doesn't like the look of them.

Probably not good. They're less than $50 per speaker.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

afen posted:

Output:
Speakers: Infinity Kappa 9.2i
Amplifier: Aragon 4004 MkII
Surr Proc: Emotiva UMC-1

Input:
-PS3
-WII
-ASRock 330 HTPC
-HD PVR Cable box

Monoprice digital and bluejeans analogue cables

Tell us everything you like/dislike about the UMC-1. I want one.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Omegaslast posted:

Its only good for 2 channel. The anthem MRX-300 is very similar all around for $1000, but it is a receiver not a pre-amp. The biggest issue with the UMC-1 is no surround sound EQ, while the mrx-300 comes with ARC which is quite powerful for consumer stuff.

Wait what ? It's a 7.1 channel processor. And it doesn't eq in surround ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

There was a good deal at Futureshop (best buy) on the LG 55LV5400. I believe it's called the 5500 in the us market.

Anyways, it's a 55" LED LCD tv, very thin, edge lit with local dimming (edge dimming)

It uses an IPS display (The chevron pattern pixels) and the blacks are very good, as is screen uniformity.

I calibrated it myself and then followed cnet's professional calibration. Shadow detail is very good. I preferred a medium/neutral colour temperature to cnet's warm preference.

The video on screen is the Mountainbike film "Life Cycles". It's supposed to be a mtnbike movie, but appears to be more of a film student's wet dream. It works really well to demo a TV, as it has all sorts of film effects, oversaturation, and tons of black and white night time high contrast shots. As well as narrow depth of field macro type filming.

I would purchase the blu-ray instead of downloading a torrent as these are small time filmmakers doing films to a very niche market.

http://vimeo.com/14600175

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Wormy Guy posted:

That TV looks mounted way too high, unless you like it like that.

On the flip side, nice stand. I'm assuming it's not floating but is being supported by that white faux wall?

It's not actually very high. I took the picture with the camera low to the ground. The bottom of the TV is about 4' from the floor, and the top is about 6.5'.

The shelf is floating. The faux wall is to hide the cable clutter. with 9 visible devices (10 once I get a new blu ray player) and a router, adsl modem, power bar etc, I couldn't manage the cables and keep them from view, so I went to home depot, cut a piece of thin vinyl board to fit and put it in there. Once I move, this setup will be in the living room with the devices on a rack.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

6.5' is actually quite high as TVs go.
Ideally, unless you have a huuuge projector screen forcing you to do it, you don't want your eyes lower than the middle of the screen when seated in viewing position. This is to avoid having to look up, since you can easily develop dry eyes (or a sore neck) when doing so.

Edit: I know I'm an ergonomics taliban. I just don't see the use in mounting your TV that high when it would have been so easily avoided in your case. Actually, it seems even THX has opinions, like you should not have to look up more than 15 degrees to see the top of the screen.

Edit 2: I'm putting this poo poo in the FAQ. It seems like every month there is someone posting a TV above a fireplace. (jonathan: You're hardly the worst example of this, don't worry. You'll be fine.)

Don't worry my feelings aren't hurt. I haven't had any complaints regarding the angle. the reason it's sitting how it is, is because I am a firm beliiver that the tweeter's in the speakers should be ear level. Since I can't mount the center channel behind the tv, I opted for the tv to be slightly above. It works for me and the girlfriend, but might not be for everyone.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheMadMilkman posted:

Is it sad that I recognized the film from the screencap? It's the movie that finally convinced me to buy into bluray.

No(yes). You might want to check out the snowboard flick "That's it That's all" which is pretty nice on bluray too. Most expensive sports action movie, they hired helicopters to film the helicopters filming the boarders.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 7, 2011

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anyone looking for new Demo material for their home theatre would do well to try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4CUNVYxxZM

The Art of Flight

It's on Bluray, released in September. The soundtrack is varied, the intro is some dubstep song with bass that goes down below 20hz, and the picture quality is very good, although slightly unrealistically over saturated in some scenes.

quote:

The film follows the global travels of prominent American snowboarder Travis Rice—who also serves as narrator—to such exotic locales as Patagonia, Colorado, Wyoming, Alaska and British Columbia. The project is a first-of-its kind collaboration between Brain Farm Digital Cinema and Red Bull Media House—with audio implemented by Dolby Labs and George Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch (another “first” for sports-action cinema). Color-correction was handled by Spy Post in San Francisco.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Welp, about to take the plunge and start collecting parts bit by bit for the new sound system.

Here is my plans:

Klipsch RF7 - II loudspeakers for the front 3 http://www.klipsch.com/product/75768.75788.85025.0.0/3688/_/RF-7_II_Floorstanding_Speaker

Reusing my Klipsch Synergy S2 surrounds for surrounds and backs (if I decide to go 7.1 otherwise just 5.1)
http://www.klipsch.com/product/65527.6921.58803.0.0/90494071210/_/S-2_Surround_Speaker

Unsure which Pre/Pro I want to use. It's going to be something with Audyssey EQ though. Might choose that as my last item.

Amps will be Crown XLS Drivecores which are rediculously cheap for what you get.
I will be running the XLS 1500 for the left and right, XLS 1000 for the surrounds, and unsure about the center channel. Probably go with a single xls bridged, or go with the 1500 and also use it to power the subwoofer via the spare channel.

The RF7's are closer to a 6ohm speaker with a dip as low as 2.8ohms in the low frequencies, which is why I am using pro audio amps.

For subwoofers, I am thinking of going with something powered, like the SVS Cylinder subs http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pc12_plus.cfm

Or for a bit more, I might go with a Danley DIY kit for a horn loaded subwoofer, which is good down to 10hz and can cause foundation issues with your house.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Out of curiosity, why the RF7 over some the much cheaper models like the RF-62 or RF-82, especially since you're planning on getting an SVS sub?

Mostly out of looks, the RF-7II is about the classiest looking "gently caress off" speaker that you can buy. Also, I have Klipsch Synergy F-20 which is the same dimensions as the RF-62, and at the listening room, I can compare them a/b with the same receiver, and I cannot hear a single sliver of difference between the two at normal listening levels. Maybe at reference level the Reference model would sound better. Demo material was that pink floyd concert where david bowie jumps up on stage and fucks up comfortably numb.

Basically since it's going to be a dedicated room with the biggest projector screen I can use, it would seem fitting to have big 10" woofers in your face. Of course when the time to actually pay up is close, I might go with the rf82's instead.

My only concern is going to be running a floorstanding speaker as a center channel. That limits me as to how low I can go with the screen.

What's involved in placing a center channel behind the screen ? Does it kill the high frequencies ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anyone have opinions on the Onkyo TX NR709 ? Primarily, how is the processing etc ? I will be using the pre-outs to go into Crown amps for the front 3 speakers and possibly the surrounds. Might drive the rears off the receiver itself. Or maybe the surrounds and rears since it's unlikely those channels will strain the internal amps with movie or 2 channel audio.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WINTER IS COMING posted:

Renovations is going to be a re gibbing of the room, going to set this wall up as the feature wall and try to go down the floating wall path with the TV wall mounted and surrounded by the frame.

I currently have the electric fireplace thing positioned exactly the same. It does so much for the feel of the room in the evening.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

New setup:

Klipsch Reference RF3

Selling the sub as it's a bit light weight for my tastes. Probably going to go with a Rythmik 12" or 15".

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Are those Tannoy speakers ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

goobernoodles posted:

Just finished setting up a pair of Energy RC-10's bi-amped with a cheap Lepai LP-269FS amp.

In your last image, you still have your terminals bridged which means you aren't bi-amping. If you remove the gold bridge, it will then be bi-amped. Then your woofer will be powered independently of the tweeter.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

coolskillrex remix posted:

Well seeing as bi-wiring is purely aesthetic leaving the bridges on or off doesnt change the performance of the speaker at all.

Yes and no. Bi amping is useful if you're running highs off one amp, woofers from another. If they're programmable amps, you could even do away with the crossovers in the speaker.

Biamping from a single amp ? Arguably a waste of speaker cable.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

coolskillrex remix posted:

Someone please buy my speakers

Shouldn't the center channel be the entire width of the screen as well ? You should've just made those speakers into a giant loop that goes around the entire room. And maybe out onto the street.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stop hatin'.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Truman Sticks posted:

Probably gonna head out today to look for TV stands. Anything in particular that I should look for? I've got a 50-inch Panasonic TC-P50S30 plasma; the TV was about 20 inches off the ground when sitting on my old stand and sub-woofer (which has been moved to the floor, thank you very much), and that seemed a pretty good height for me. Open back in the shelves is way preferred for the game consoles. I'm not too sure about wall-mounting now that I think about it, as I'm not brave enough to want to gently caress with a stud-finder and start drilling holes in an apartment I'm renting.

I wanna limit myself to $150, but I don't really have any frame of reference as to if that'd be a good price.

Best buy in Canada has a stand for $150. 3 shelves and a spine to hold your TV off the stand like a wall mount. I don't know the model number. They also have some nicer stuff in the $250 to 400 range. But that 150 priced one is nice. Might be cheaper in America.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Don Lapre posted:

Dont get something with open cabinets. Components are ugly.

There are some components that I would proudly display in the open. The Marantz 6006, some of the Emotiva stuff.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Can someone link me to a buyers guide or some sort of room setup guide for projectors ? I'm doing a dedicated theatre room starting October and would like to read up on how to choose a projector and ideal ways to set it and a screen up in a room.

Currently I don't know how to decide on the size of screen or how to mount it in regards to optimal viewing.

Any links or guides would be helpful. Avs doesn't seem to have a good thread regarding this for beginners.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Is there a component rack that is functional and decent looking without costing $1000 ? I'm going to either put all the components in a closet or maybe the back corner of the room so that all you see is projector screen and the front soundstage. If I end up keeping the components in the same room, I will need some sort of rack to place the amps, htpc, and set top box on. Costco has some dark grey plastic modular rack for $60, but it looks like something for the garage, not a dedicated home theatre room.

My stuff isn't rack mountable though, so I need something with actual shelves.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Point the projector at the other wall ?

Don't worry the light glaring off the sides is like that retarded led light setup people are putting behind their TV. Ambience !!!!!!!!

But yeah why can't you just spin the contents of the room around so you're facing a full wall ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I love old vintage horn loaded speakers. That same site has a pair of Klipschorns for $2600. Not a bad price for the condition they're in. Add $500 for shipping and a few hundred for some new crites crossovers and you have a speaker set that will go toe to toe with any speaker system that will fit in a home.

Some people argue that the jubilee speakers are as good or better than the klipsch heritage stuff.

Once I take possession of the new house, I'm going to set up an entertaining room. It won't have a TV, just furniture, some books and a set of Heresy or Cornwalls with a stereo amp and a CD/turntable and a mini stereo jack for iPod listening. If I had room I would go for klipschorns or la scalars.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 9, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

So I need to make a decision: the "stage" measures 135" x 85". Obviously I can't run the screen right to the bottom.

If I DIY the projector screen, I can go 7'1" wide by 48" high which gives me a 94" diagonal 16:9 screen. I have to leave room on the sides for the speakers.

The other option would be to build a stage, and buy an acoustically transparent screen, and go the full 135" wide, or perhaps slightly less so that I can have a frame. This would require putting the front 3 speakers behind the screen. Viewing distance will be roughly 10 feet away for the front row. I will be putting the rear row on a riser, but its hard to calculate how high the riser needs to be to give the rear row a proper view.

The store bought solution could give me a screen size of around 135"x78" at the large end. Is this too big of a screen ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 26, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

emocrat posted:

I have a theater setup that is very similar in size to yours. I don't have my measurements handy but its within a few inches of yours both in height and width.

I opted for a 92 diagonal 16x9 screen and very happy with it. While that is small by projector standards, its all about how it fits in the room and if the room is small also and it fills the space it will look great. I probably would have gone for something more like 110-120 diagonal if I could, however soffits on the sides presented a limiting factor.

While getting the extra width of the 135 would be great, I think in your setup you will run into problems with sight lines to the bottom of the screen. If your room is 85 high, and the screen is 78 even if you have it flush to the ceiling (which would look terrible I think) the bottom is 7 inches off the ground and even the front row will be a bit strange.

A 120 diagonal would be a decent compromise I think, with a height of around 60 inches. You could bias it high but still have a 18 inches or so off the ground as well as fit speakers around it without having to build a false wall or use acoustically transparent material. At 10 feet 120 is a pretty drat big screen.

Thanks. Out of the blue I checked what Costco has. The 106" fixed screen is $299. That's cheap enough that the DIY route isn't worth it for me as my time not working is more valuable. I would like to mount the center channel behind it, but then I would have to mount the fixed screen away from the wall. That seems like a pain.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

emocrat posted:

A good friend of mine has a 106 fixed frame, with couch seating about 12-14 feet from the screen and frankly, its still huge.

One thing I did when I was building mine that I would strongly recommend is to get some blue painters tape and mask out the screen on the wall. Then measure out the seating distance and put a chair there. It will give you a really solid idea of what your end result will be. Do it for a couple of sizes and pay attention to where the boundaries of the screen fall into your vision. As awesome as imax is, you don't really want that effect for every movie or tv show you watch. Or at least I don't. Being able to take in the entire picture without turning my head is generally a good thing.

That's a good suggestion, the tape thing. As for the screen size, I want the big imax experience for sure. I'll only be watching blockbuster type movies on it. My living room has a good 55" led TV and comfy sectional couches for dramas and whatever movies and TV watching.

A question: I'm having trouble deciding between the Epson 8350, LCD non 3d projector, or the Optoma hd33, which is 3d and DLP.

In a dark room can the lcd give off good blacks ? Also, I had a demo of some TV with passive 3d glasses. It looked like poo poo, with interlacing and jaggies. Do projectors with passive glasses have the same effect ? Is there a passive 3d projector that has a sharp 1080p image at a reasonable price ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ante posted:

I don't know if you've bought all your crap yet, but I got my screen from this dude. They're based out of Surrey, too, so they even voided the shipping fee and it arrived on my doorstep the next day in Vancouver.

Thanks for the link. I ordered all my stuff through mono price except for the screen which was Costco. The projector I'm waiting on until next pay cheque because I bought leather theatre couches that recline.

Still haven't decided on subwoofers yet. Either doing dual rythmik fv12's or a single tapped horn subwoofer as the rear seat riser.