Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

the letter b posted:

The wall is plaster laid straight over brick - colour-matched conduit was pretty much my only option.

Thanks

They turn out great in photographs, but up close they're fairly ordinary. This whole area of the house is an extension and instead of using nice light coloured HARD flooring in this area like in the older part of the house they've used something that seems as soft as pine

Your room just looks downright pretty. I'm jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

I live in an apartment with a BIC VK-12. I guess it can only do 24 Hz. No one has came to complain, but it does a nice job shaking the room.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

A while ago I read through the entire thread and have been up to date reading the new posts every once and a while, but now I'm going to be buying some furniture and I remember seeing a few cool things but have no idea where they are in the thread. Has anyone bookmarked or compiled a list of links of any furniture items as they looked through the thread? I remember seeing a cool coffee table that was a knock off of a very famous design. I think it was Japanese.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

I don't have to remove my Nyko when gaming.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Are you controlling that? I imagine it would be distracting while watching something if they kept changing colors.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

I'm trying to decide how to setup my home theater in my new apartment. I see two possibilities mainly, but drat is 7.1 annoying to setup. I think this not to scale picture I drew would be the best option for wiring and the theater design, but maybe not for the use of the room.

I liked having my cable modem, router, and switch on my TV stand like I did in my last apartment so I could network my 360, PS3, and computer together. I think I might drill a hole through that right wall and run a cable into my roommates room and then do one more ghetto from his room to mine.

The only coax jack is on that 10'6" wall so I'd put a rug where that lower right entrance is and run the cable under it along with that lower on-wall speaker cable, and the speakers on the stands. I don't know what to do about the cables that would be going to those ones on the stands though. Something to cover them up?

There would also be a speaker wire running up the wall to the side speakers. Last time I didn't have a problem because there was a porch door and window that they ran against so you couldn't see them. Putting those on stands wouldn't really leave much room to walk there and people are already going to have to watch their head I think.

Right now I only have the one couch, but I was thinking of getting another and putting it along that top wall. The 6'5" viewing distance I calculated for my 50" TV doesn't leave much room for another couch though especially in this setup.

If the room is 20 feet and the couch is only at most 10 feet total from the wall, it seems kind of silly to have half the room empty. The other option would be to put the TV along that 10'6" wall. After making this picture, I'm actually starting to think that's a better option. What do you guys think? Any tips on what to do with cables?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Yea I put the TV against the 10' wall. I haven't done any of the speakers yet. I'm going to have to run everything along the right side. I was thinking a rug on the right entrance to cover them up, but then I'd probably need another huge rug to put the couch on and also cover up the wire running from the wall in the little bit of space behind the couch.

Do people do anything for speaker wire running up the wall? I'm not sure what I could do there.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Glottis posted:

Is there a reason why you want to be only 6.5' away from a 50" TV? Other than that constraint, it seems like the shorter wall is the best option.

That's what the distance calculators said to do. Where I put it right now is at about 7.5' from screen to eyeballs. I might just push it back a little more because I don't think I'll have any use for that bit of space behind the couch.

I don't know if I'm prepared to rip up the carpet. Running it around the bottom of the wall I don't really have a problem with, it's just the part where it would stretch across open floor.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Most ridiculous is the guy with the 6.5' speakers in his bedroom at his parents' house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Where should I ask about the goon recommended UHD player? Figured I'd be good with a PS5 eventually but I think I heard it only supports 2 height speakers but I have 4. Also no Dolby Vision.