Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

um excuse me posted:

Do y'all not just run an old dusty computer with huge drives with Plex running 24/7? Slap Hulu, Netflix, Disney +, Prime, etc and go to town. Steam remote play has added additional functionality for me. What is Shield, Chromecast, and the like bringing to the party that an old PC isn't?

Combined UI/unified remote with voice control, smaller footprint, less power usage, don't have to explain how to use everything to kids/spouse/parents 1000x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

um excuse me posted:

Do y'all not just run an old dusty computer with huge drives with Plex running 24/7? Slap Hulu, Netflix, Disney +, Prime, etc and go to town. Steam remote play has added additional functionality for me. What is Shield, Chromecast, and the like bringing to the party that an old PC isn't?

For server purposes I do have a machine that runs 24/7 with Plex and a bunch of random large size SATA drives. (thank you StableBit DrivePool!). It also does various other media related server functions. But the clients are Shields, FireTVs or Rokus. Its just easier and more foolproof. Just in my house alone I have 1 Shield, 2 FireStick 4Ks, and 2 very old Roku 3s

I used to like messing around with XBMC, modifying it, tweaking it to boot up correctly, getting Netflix on the PC to work with a remote, etc... But now I prefer the client interface to just work. I could care less about how it looks or tweaking it. I want to sit down, turn the TV on, and pick something to watch with as little fuss as possible. This desire is also shared with others in the household.

Also... GET OFF MY LAWN!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

um excuse me posted:

Reliability.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

um excuse me posted:

Y'all are still out there huh

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Plenty of holdouts that still have a PC attached to a computer using VLC like it’s 2004.

I haven’t used my flirc for a long, long time along with half my gadgets from old HTPCs. This lockdown + move to a permanent home has been good for ridding me of crap I forgot about that was once vital and don’t need anymore.

Still annoyed that Plex transcoding keeps screwing with audio sync for me like it’s 2009 but thankfully it’s just easier nowadays to buy a device that doesn’t need to transcode at all to bypass the issue whether it’s an Apple TV, Shield, or even a Roku device it’s all better nowadays.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TheScott2K posted:

trying to think how you coild hand a remote to someone and ask them to launch the apps that were listed and have it work near as well as the shield interface (which also has significant issues but christ)

I remember folks making HTPC-specific active desktop backgrounds on XP, and I feel like that would be still be better

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There is only Shield and everything else is wrong

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

How's the Shield in a non-networked environment, using files on the memory card? Once travel opens up again, I'd love to have a better hotel room video player, and hotel WiFi is not reliable enough for video streaming in the places I usually end up.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zorak of Michigan posted:

How's the Shield in a non-networked environment, using files on the memory card? Once travel opens up again, I'd love to have a better hotel room video player, and hotel WiFi is not reliable enough for video streaming in the places I usually end up.

Works fine for that.

Memory cards or USB storage devices appear as external storage. (long as you have not converted it to "adopted storage"). VLC, Kodi, etc.. pretty much any of the media players out there with a AndroidTV interface will have no problem accessing them.

Kodi would actually be perfect in this case. Point it to your memory card/USB stick and let it index your media.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
The Shield has been the single best purchase I've made for media consumption. Easy for the wife to use (once we replaced the awful remote with the volume slide, WTF), and it handles all her other streaming stuff without issue. Even for the shows that she has to stream from a browser, she can just cast a tab from her laptop and it works great.

I had the kid set up with an Rpi running Kodi, but with the amount of 4k stuff and now having Disney+, I think I'll probably end up getting a new tube Shield for the playroom, or maybe just upgrade to a newer Pro and move our old one to her TV.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

stevewm posted:

Works fine for that.

Memory cards or USB storage devices appear as external storage. (long as you have not converted it to "adopted storage"). VLC, Kodi, etc.. pretty much any of the media players out there with a AndroidTV interface will have no problem accessing them.

Kodi would actually be perfect in this case. Point it to your memory card/USB stick and let it index your media.

Thanks!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

stevewm posted:

Works fine for that.

Yeah, the new non-pro one really is a pretty kickass portable offline Kodi client that can also, of course, handle most of your streaming needs too if you can get online. And the remote is better and doesn't require line of sight (and can probably be pretty easily configured to control the hotel tv volume/power too if it is a newer name brand).

Biggest hotel challenge will be getting access to the HDMI port (depending on how they mounted it) and access to power near it but that's no different from any other streaming stick for the most part.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
i haven't used kodi in a couple of years but i seem to remember it being a pain on android when trying to point it at external storage?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have a Steam Link from it's launch that works okay, but I'm wondering if the Shield would be better for streaming games from my desktop to my TV?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I use it for this purpose. It's not perfect but if your connection is reliable you oughta be good.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

wolfbiker posted:

i haven't used kodi in a couple of years but i seem to remember it being a pain on android when trying to point it at external storage?

It was pretty easy to point the Shield at the NFS share for all my media. It's even using a hosted DB on th file server, though it's the only active Kodi instance on at the moment. The hardest part was putting the settings xml into the proper place on the Shield.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

I use it for this purpose. It's not perfect but if your connection is reliable you oughta be good.

I just got the shield tv tube, connected by ethernet, and it seems laggier than steam->steam on the little celeron it's replacing.

Gamestream has a different problem: it basically rejects all controller input. E.g. I hit down in game menu, hear the click, but then immediately hear another click and the menu selector stays put. The controller is hooked to the PC, not paired with the shield--this works fine with steam link.

I also don't seem to be able to browse smb shares (with either Kodi or VLC) that every other device on my network (Win 10 pcs and android phone) can see perfectly.

ChiralCondensate fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 10, 2020

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
quote is not edit

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

I have a Steam Link from it's launch that works okay, but I'm wondering if the Shield would be better for streaming games from my desktop to my TV?

They seem to work about the same for me except my Steam Controller doesn't function properly with the Shield

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ChiralCondensate posted:

I just got the shield tv tube, connected by ethernet, and it seems laggier than steam->steam on the little celeron it's replacing.

Gamestream has a different problem: it basically rejects all controller input. E.g. I hit down in game menu, hear the click, but then immediately hear another click and the menu selector stays put. The controller is hooked to the PC, not paired with the shield--this works fine with steam link.

I also don't seem to be able to browse smb shares (with either Kodi or VLC) that every other device on my network (Win 10 pcs and android phone) can see perfectly.

an example of what I mean by the gamestream input rejection: https://streamable.com/vqs2z8
Also there's some dumb overlay in the upper left I can't get rid of.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

PitViper posted:

It was pretty easy to point the Shield at the NFS share for all my media. It's even using a hosted DB on th file server, though it's the only active Kodi instance on at the moment. The hardest part was putting the settings xml into the proper place on the Shield.

i didn't have issues with the network, it was scrolling through the directory structure in kodi trying to locate where the external drive actually was so it could scan them in. it was on a nexus though not a shield.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

wolfbiker posted:

i didn't have issues with the network, it was scrolling through the directory structure in kodi trying to locate where the external drive actually was so it could scan them in. it was on a nexus though not a shield.

I just tried it with the latest Kodi and a USB stick on my Shield and it had no issues. It was just a test as I don't normally use it this way, so possible there are longer term issues lurking, but seems to work fine.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I don't recall navigating file structures being any different on the Shield vs my old HTPC, but then again it's been a couple years since I've had to touch it. Other than having to be in Kodi to have the back end kick off library updates, it's been shockingly reliable compared to an old KodiBuntu machine.

Edit: if you're navigating files located in a direct attached USB device, that's something I've not done. All my media is on network storage, so Kodi is handling the network navigation.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
With Android TV, is there a way to use my normal YouTube account for the YouTube app without seeing recommendations for all the stupid poo poo I watch videos about when not in a TV setting? Maybe a separate profile or something? Originally I just made a separate account just for the TV, but I realized I'm paying for Premium (ad-free) on my main account, so I should probably take advantage of that on the TV.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have an audio interface attached to their Shield? What's the best way of connecting it to separate speakers instead of my TV's lovely built-in speakers?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

rt4 posted:

Anyone have an audio interface attached to their Shield? What's the best way of connecting it to separate speakers instead of my TV's lovely built-in speakers?
An A/V receiver would be the standard way to do it. If you already have a set of amplified speakers there are also devices that will split the audio signal out of a HDMI stream, or as an Android box at heart if you have the Pro model you should be able to plug in almost any generic USB audio device.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a set of Klipsch R-15PMs connected to my TV which the Shield is then connected to, sounds and looks great. If you have room though a true AV receiver setup is what you should be working towards.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

wolrah posted:

An A/V receiver would be the standard way to do it. If you already have a set of amplified speakers there are also devices that will split the audio signal out of a HDMI stream, or as an Android box at heart if you have the Pro model you should be able to plug in almost any generic USB audio device.

One could always plug the speakers into the TV and mute the built in speakers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Uthor posted:

One could always plug the speakers into the TV and mute the built in speakers.
Oh right, yea, I forgot that's a thing because neither of my current main TVs have it, but it is a pretty common feature.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On my desktop computer, I have some no-name compact power amp connected to some Klipsch R15s. I'm thinking of doing something similar with the Shield, but with bigger floor-standing speakers.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Amazon has Shield TV Pros back in stock if you, like me, have been looking for them.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

Amazon has Shield TV Pros back in stock if you, like me, have been looking for them.

link? They're not in stock on my screen..

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ChiralCondensate posted:

link? They're not in stock on my screen..

It was this one but it's already sold out. I signed up for one of those stock monitoring services and ordered it as soon as I got the email.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Sincere ignorant question here: Why not a dusty pc as plex server? I thought I'd build a small form-factor box stored in the same nook as our modem/router. Isn't that all a nas is, or am I missing the point? Should mention our use isn't to watch on big screen, but portable devices / laptops around the house.

I do know I'm a generation or two behind. My last pc build was 10 years ago. I have it acting as a plex server now but it is showing its age, ready to be taken behind the barn.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

pumped up for school posted:

Sincere ignorant question here: Why not a dusty pc as plex server? I thought I'd build a small form-factor box stored in the same nook as our modem/router. Isn't that all a nas is, or am I missing the point? Should mention our use isn't to watch on big screen, but portable devices / laptops around the house.

I do know I'm a generation or two behind. My last pc build was 10 years ago. I have it acting as a plex server now but it is showing its age, ready to be taken behind the barn.

There's nothing wrong with a NAS or PC running a plex server.

However, most people are better off using something like a Shield TV as what's actually hooked up to your TV.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

There's nothing wrong with a NAS or PC running a plex server.

However, most people are better off using something like a Shield TV as what's actually hooked up to your TV.

Thanks. I was convinced there was something I was missing. A Shield TV is on my list when the Pro becomes easier to find.

Now to build a new PC!

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

pumped up for school posted:

A dusty old PC is more than likely a better plex server if you plan on serving multiple clients. If you just plan on serving your household, the shield is fine.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 23, 2020

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cornjob posted:

A dusty old PC is more than likely a better plex server if you plan on serving multiple clients. If you just plan on serving your household, the shield is fine.

Yeah this is true...if you have a very low amount of stuff to serve since you can't hook up a ton of storage to the thing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If I got this ATSC 3.0 tuner from HDHomeRun
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-atsc-30?ref=profile_created
and I have one of those dusty old PCs with a Sandy Bridge (2011 era) processor lying around, could I use it as a Plex server with a graphics card that handles H.265 / HEVC transcoding? I already have enough storage in it so would be minimal investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
GPU encoding on Plex only comes with PlexPass, FYI. Really, though, if you're trying to throw OTA recordings to a TV you're best off just using a client that supports MPEG2. 1080i at full framerate (like sports) really doesn't transcode well, in my experience.