Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

Yeah folding half a business card on top of the batteries inside the compartment solved that for me.

Alright, I'm still in the return window, so I can exchange it, but sounds like it'll just happen again? I reseated the batteries and that seems to have stopped it for now, but I'll use that trick if it starts to happen again. Thank you. If I shake it I hear something rattling -- does yours do that? I thought it might be the motion sensor.

Also, didn't they threaten to end Harmony about 10 years ago too? I do remember their warranty policy seemed to get way worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
They threatened to sell it or spin it off in 2013 but decided to keep it in house. They are definitely ending it now though, it's confirmed. They said they will support existing customers "as long as they're using it". To be fair, they are supporting 10+ year old hardware elsewhere so good on them and I expect them to do the same here.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I had Logitech as a customer on a consulting engagement before for their IT systems migration plans and they struck me as a company with practical leadership and conservative in a good way trying to do the right things and avoiding flashy trends in favor of sure winners, which I considered in my recommendations for them. This doesn’t necessarily mean the rest of the company is that way but given the general state of large company IT I think if your IT is pretty good, things are pretty awesome elsewhere probably.

I think they’ll keep a few people running systems 4+ years out of goodwill while those folks figure out their next career moves

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Didn’t Logitech get absolutely soaked on one of the early Google TV partnerships?

E: yes, $100M lol

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Charles posted:

If I shake it I hear something rattling -- does yours do that? I thought it might be the motion sensor.

I think so. Both my remotes do that. I believe it's what causes the backlight to come on.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Wow no posts here for awhile. I didn't realize Disney+ had Dolby Vision so I've been watching it on my older Shield. I use WebOS on the TV for Netflix for that reason. Is it worth upgrading that just for DV?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

June 2nd god drat

My patience is wearing very thin with my once beloved Shield. My Plex server has just completely hosed itself and I'm thinking (a third?) factory reset might be in order.

Not the first time to have issues after a network failure or power outage where I had to remount the NAS but thisnl is different. Plex tells me I'm offline all together, can't hit my server, can't create a new one, can't delete the ones it keeps making when I run the setup, even after deleting all data and reinstalling. Now I can't seem to even be able to reinstall them this time. loving android. I really need to just get a small form factor PC

stevewm
May 10, 2005

codo27 posted:

June 2nd god drat

My patience is wearing very thin with my once beloved Shield. My Plex server has just completely hosed itself and I'm thinking (a third?) factory reset might be in order.

Not the first time to have issues after a network failure or power outage where I had to remount the NAS but thisnl is different. Plex tells me I'm offline all together, can't hit my server, can't create a new one, can't delete the ones it keeps making when I run the setup, even after deleting all data and reinstalling. Now I can't seem to even be able to reinstall them this time. loving android. I really need to just get a small form factor PC

This is why I run the Plex server on a PC. My Shields are only used as clients, for which they excel at. In 6 years of using Plex this way, the only problem I've ever had was the boot SSD in that computer taking a poo poo (Thanks Intel 530!). Luckily I had a backup of the Plex database, getting Plex back up and running after replacing the SSD was fairly easy. (Install Plex, copy DB folder back to correct place, restart Plex)

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 1, 2021

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I can't remember if we have a Shield TV thread or not, it's been awhile. I've been annoyed at the lack of microphone support for the Harmony remote. I use a Shield TV but the remote it comes with sucks. I ended up getting one of those old rear end PS3 Eyetoy array mic/cameras from Ebay for like $10. It works like a charm, plug and play into any free USB port no configuration necessary. Any time you trigger a voice prompt on the Shield TV it just works and it seems to pickup voices perfectly even 10 feet away. Makes input into apps and search fields a breeze. Just a heads up for anyone else.

Most of the upcoming non-Harmony remotes from like yio and sofabaton are fine except none have a microphone built in.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Wait you plugged the mic into the Shield? That's pretty slick. The lack of voice search is my one complaint about the Harmony.

Also if you have an iPhone the Harmony widget is surprisingly good. I just wish it had volume up/down.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I don't know if you've ever tried the 2nd gen shield remote. (The triangle shaped one) But it's leaps and bounds better than the original one. It works with all ShieldTV models. I believe the newer generation ones actually include it now.

Edit: this one! https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Motion-Activated-Backlit-Buttons-Customizable/dp/B08GNHJB6X/

It feels good in the hand. Runs on 2 AAA batteries. Doesn't burn through batteries. Has backlit buttons. The microphone works great. And even has a remote beeper locater function, which was worth the $29 alone.

It also has a built in IR blaster so it can be programmed via the Shield to control your TV/soundbar/receiver/whatever. Just like the newer FireStick remotes.

I used to have a PS3 camera/mic. It worked.. ok. Sometimes it would fail and require a reboot of the Shield to make it work again.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 28, 2021

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
That fuckin Netflix button boots you to Netflix if you loving look at the remote. Definitely disable that poo poo. But yeah, once you got that done, S tier device remote.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I liked the original Shield remote although the volume control was a little less precise than I'd like. And I'm pretty meh towards the new one. My setup will always be too eclectic to bother with anything universal unfortunately. Also too bad the Shield has decided to completely poo poo itself when it comes to CEC since I upgraded from an 850E to a TCL 6 series.

E: I loving hate how hard it is to do anything with a browser on a TV. Yeah, Silk is alright but what if you aren't using a fire device? Trying to watch the hockey game (legit service, broadcasters website) last night was loving orangutan manure. Xbox now has the latest version of Edge! Video wont play. Load up my bastardized browser on the Shield, video plays alright for a few minutes then goes stuttery until I refresh. I cant wait to just run a HDMI from my desktop into the living room, picked up the HDMI wall plates the other day.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 28, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

I liked the original Shield remote although the volume control was a little less precise than I'd like. And I'm pretty meh towards the new one. My setup will always be too eclectic to bother with anything universal unfortunately. Also too bad the Shield has decided to completely poo poo itself when it comes to CEC since I upgraded from an 850E to a TCL 6 series.

E: I loving hate how hard it is to do anything with a browser on a TV. Yeah, Silk is alright but what if you aren't using a fire device? Trying to watch the hockey game (legit service, broadcasters website) last night was loving orangutan manure. Xbox now has the latest version of Edge! Video wont play. Load up my bastardized browser on the Shield, video plays alright for a few minutes then goes stuttery until I refresh. I cant wait to just run a HDMI from my desktop into the living room, picked up the HDMI wall plates the other day.

Airplay to an Apple TV works pretty great :ohdear:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Can the newer Apple TV's play 4K/HDR mkvs natively via Plex, or does it still need transcoding?

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
Don't know if Plex can, but Infuse definitely can play natively.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm getting more and more frustrated with my shield. I've always had a 64gb flash drive formatted as internal but it seems nothing is going to it, and the pittance you're given out of the box is so full I can't install an app despite it feeling like I have nothing on it. Everything is just slow.

Turns out there's over 6gb attributed to my Plex server and I'm in the process of migrating that over to the flash drive now, or at least I think that's what's happening. At this rate it looks like I'm going to have to leave it overnight.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I got a Fire Stick TV (3rd gen) for the guest room TV and put Kodi on it, it's annoying how choppy 4k playback is. I was tempted to get a Shield instead, but now I'm wondering if I should just get another 10th gen NUC to avoid any playback headaches. The 10th gen NUC is what I use on my main TV and it's been great. Only downside is the price and the Windows license. Anything else I should consider replacing the Fire Stick TV with?

I don't run Plex currently, just Kodi and my NAS. Moving to a transcoding solution would let me use thinner hardware, I dunno if I want to go that route though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You guys are in the right thread, the solution is to build a $1500 HTPC!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

fletcher posted:

I got a Fire Stick TV (3rd gen) for the guest room TV and put Kodi on it, it's annoying how choppy 4k playback is. I was tempted to get a Shield instead, but now I'm wondering if I should just get another 10th gen NUC to avoid any playback headaches. The 10th gen NUC is what I use on my main TV and it's been great. Only downside is the price and the Windows license. Anything else I should consider replacing the Fire Stick TV with?

I don't run Plex currently, just Kodi and my NAS. Moving to a transcoding solution would let me use thinner hardware, I dunno if I want to go that route though.

10th gen nuc is seriously overkill but if that works for you at least you can save some money on an SA Mart windows key.

Otherwise why not just get a shield ultra or 4K Apple TV? You can mount a network drive on both of them. If those are stuttering then the issue is probably your network rather than the hardware.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

tuyop posted:

10th gen nuc is seriously overkill but if that works for you at least you can save some money on an SA Mart windows key.

Otherwise why not just get a shield ultra or 4K Apple TV? You can mount a network drive on both of them. If those are stuttering then the issue is probably your network rather than the hardware.

Shield Ultra seems like a good middle ground, I think I'm gonna give that a shot

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Best Buy has the Roku Premier for $20. I noticed it's 2.4ghz Wireless N only but I think is good? I don't have much experience with it, but I'm trying it out with a non-smart tv

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I just got a new LGC1 OLED that is 4K. I am having issues with it not detecting my home theater PC. Whenever I switch the input to the HTPC the TV displays the boot process, but as soon as the windows logo faded to go to desktop it goes to "no source detected"

The PC was previously displaying at 1080p when hooked to my old TV. Shouldn't the newer TV be able to display 1080p? Do I have to get a 4K monitor hooked up first and switch the HTPC to 4K before the TV will detect it?

I was able to get it to work by booting it into safe mode, but I can't choose a 4K resolution from safe mode. Whenever I rebooted into regular windows, I go back to running into the above issue.

The video output source on the HTPC is a Geforce GTX 970

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 16, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats your video output source on the HTPC?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

codo27 posted:

Whats your video output source on the HTPC?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Megasabin posted:

I just got a new LGC1 OLED that is 4K. I am having issues with it not detecting my home theater PC. Whenever I switch the input to the HTPC the TV displays the boot process, but as soon as the windows logo faded to go to desktop it goes to "no source detected"

The PC was previously displaying at 1080p when hooked to my old TV. Shouldn't the newer TV be able to display 1080p? Do I have to get a 4K monitor hooked up first and switch the HTPC to 4K before the TV will detect it?

I was able to get it to work by booting it into safe mode, but I can't choose a 4K resolution from safe mode. Whenever I rebooted into regular windows, I go back to running into the above issue.

Uninstall the driver in Add/Remove if it's listed there, delete the card from Device Manager, reboot into safe mode and do a fresh install of the latest driver.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Charles posted:

Best Buy has the Roku Premier for $20. I noticed it's 2.4ghz Wireless N only but I think is good? I don't have much experience with it, but I'm trying it out with a non-smart tv

Wireless N's throughput is up to 900Mbps, so you're good. Theoretically B or G could likely work too, but those are mostly obsolete now from support on routers.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

regulargonzalez posted:

Uninstall the driver in Add/Remove if it's listed there, delete the card from Device Manager, reboot into safe mode and do a fresh install of the latest driver.

This worked. Thank you. Next problem! I can't seem to display at 4K on the HTPC. It maxes out at 1080p in the options menu both in the NVIDIA control panel & the display settings for windows.

Edit: I'm dumb. I'm still using my 10 year old receiver, which can definitely not do 4K. The new receiver I'd like to purchase doesn't release until a few months. Is there a workaround I can use until that time where I can run the video directly through the TV, but still have the receiver handle audio since it's connected to my 5.1 speaker system?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 17, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Does the TV have an audio out? My more than ten year old TV and receiver both have optical and I can connect directly to the TV and then send the audio to the receiver.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Uthor posted:

Does the TV have an audio out? My more than ten year old TV and receiver both have optical and I can connect directly to the TV and then send the audio to the receiver.

My receiver does have an optical input as does the TV (LG CX series).

So is the correct move to connect the HTPC directly to the TV via HDMI. Then connect the TV to the receiver via Optical? And somewhere in the TV's option menu will be a option to run the sound through the optical cable?

At no point does the HTPC itself need an optical connection to the receiver?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That's how I believe it works. Send the signal to the TV and the TV will pass through to the receiver.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Yep, that's exactly how I have mine set up. Just remember to turn the audio on the tv itself down to 0 and control volume strictly through the receiver.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Yep, that's exactly how I have mine set up. Just remember to turn the audio on the tv itself down to 0 and control volume strictly through the receiver.

Lol, I somehow turned my TV speakers on and set the volume at like 1%, then spent forever trying to figure out what the noises coming from by my wall were one time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What's the best way to optimize all my content for Plex streaming? I've got some old TV series that are avi and could surely stand to be a little lighter in file size, but I ran a couple episodes through handbrake and they actually came out larger in size

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I don't think file size matters as much as having a server that can do hardware transcoding. And you should re-rip or re-download those AVI files as opposed to trying to convert or compress them down.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Since this seems to be the defacto streaming device thread, I'll pose this question to you:

Anyone else noticing their digital copies of movies topping out at 720p if they watch through youtube on a RokuTV?

I've got a good number of them and usually I use Vudu, but I've got a few Paramount movies that are stuck in Google world because they don't do MoviesAnywhere. Google Play Movies & TV got Google'd so the only way to watch them on a smart tv is through YouTube, but I've got movies I know I own in 4K only going up to 720p. Wondering if this is some passive aggression toward Roku on Google's part or some kind of bug.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TheScott2K posted:

Since this seems to be the defacto streaming device thread, I'll pose this question to you:

Anyone else noticing their digital copies of movies topping out at 720p if they watch through youtube on a RokuTV?

I've got a good number of them and usually I use Vudu, but I've got a few Paramount movies that are stuck in Google world because they don't do MoviesAnywhere. Google Play Movies & TV got Google'd so the only way to watch them on a smart tv is through YouTube, but I've got movies I know I own in 4K only going up to 720p. Wondering if this is some passive aggression toward Roku on Google's part or some kind of bug.

I've been having all sorts of "not enough bandwidth for this quality" issues with my TCL. Even streaming locally from my Plex server.

I finally just started using a Chromecast Ultra.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Medullah posted:

I've been having all sorts of "not enough bandwidth for this quality" issues with my TCL. Even streaming locally from my Plex server.

I finally just started using a Chromecast Ultra.

It's definitely not a bandwidth issue in this case.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My 10 year old HTPC is finally starting to hit a wall with content. I simply cannot play HEVC files well. Graphics card prices are insane so it doesn't really make sense to build another right now.

If I just bought a NVIDIA shield pro, could that take care of all my media playing needs, if I mainly just play local files stored on a hardrive? What would I do, just put everything on a portable HD and plug it into the shield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

My 10 year old HTPC is finally starting to hit a wall with content. I simply cannot play HEVC files well. Graphics card prices are insane so it doesn't really make sense to build another right now.

If I just bought a NVIDIA shield pro, could that take care of all my media playing needs, if I mainly just play local files stored on a hardrive? What would I do, just put everything on a portable HD and plug it into the shield?

Yeah exactly