Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Megasabin posted:

My 10 year old HTPC is finally starting to hit a wall with content. I simply cannot play HEVC files well. Graphics card prices are insane so it doesn't really make sense to build another right now.

If I just bought a NVIDIA shield pro, could that take care of all my media playing needs, if I mainly just play local files stored on a hardrive? What would I do, just put everything on a portable HD and plug it into the shield?

You could also share your video files on the HTPC and then use Kodi or Plex on the shield to access them over the network as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was having trouble with my copy of Homicide: LotS, where the third season was way out of order (there was actually kind of a good reason for it). So I replaced it with another copy and ever since then ain't poo poo will work on Plex on my Roku TV. Works fine on Shield, which is also the server. Data is on my NAS. I'm going to lose my poo poo with this. I just deleted Plex from the TV and reinstalled, but it seemed to retain most data and I dont think there's much room to gently caress around with the rusty innards of things on Roku.

I also had to make an adjustment in the router to allow my brother to stream my poo poo remotely, so maybe something happened there and thats where I'm going to investigate now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

I was having trouble with my copy of Homicide: LotS, where the third season was way out of order (there was actually kind of a good reason for it). So I replaced it with another copy and ever since then ain't poo poo will work on Plex on my Roku TV. Works fine on Shield, which is also the server. Data is on my NAS. I'm going to lose my poo poo with this. I just deleted Plex from the TV and reinstalled, but it seemed to retain most data and I dont think there's much room to gently caress around with the rusty innards of things on Roku.

I also had to make an adjustment in the router to allow my brother to stream my poo poo remotely, so maybe something happened there and thats where I'm going to investigate now.

Sounds like a Plex database issue. I would migrate the server to a different device like the NAS or an RPi or something and test it out from there

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
After my 2017 Shield TV updated to Shield Experience 9.0.0/Android TV 11, VLC and MX player whic are my preferred players will no longer show files when browsing my USB drives, only folders. Kodi and X-plore will show and play them. Anyone come across something similar?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
In general the new patch is a shitshow. My 2015 shield which is pretty much stock won't even display the launcher half the time, I've had it restart several times, and the wifi keeps dropping out. The thing has been absolutely solid up until now. I don't play anything off of USB drives but I have seen a ton of posts on reddit with folks reporting the same.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I know it’s annoying as hell to be an apple fanboy but I bought a 4K Apple TV because I got tired of the jank in my chromecast and it’s been so good that I got a used one for a friend as well. Just a totally boring, predictable set top box that does direct play in Plex and does steam link perfectly and never gives me any drama.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I am currently running my plex server off my main PC, which normally isn't an issue, except when I'm gaming and someone starts something that transcodes 4K content down to 1080 or whatever. I'd like to get something that I can shove all my storage drives in (space for 8 drives would be great, at ~32tb of content going up), that can act as the plex server. What should I be looking at here?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TrueChaos posted:

I am currently running my plex server off my main PC, which normally isn't an issue, except when I'm gaming and someone starts something that transcodes 4K content down to 1080 or whatever. I'd like to get something that I can shove all my storage drives in (space for 8 drives would be great, at ~32tb of content going up), that can act as the plex server. What should I be looking at here?

For the least amount of headache, probably a synology diskstation. The 9xx+ series has enough oomph to transcode one or two 4K streams. Very expensive, though.

Another option is to build your own server and run Unraid or something like that on it. Probably really expensive as well.

The cost-effective solution would probably be to buy a used 6-8th gen i5 workstation from an office liquidator. I just grabbed one of those for $400 Canadian and it’ll be doing server duty for a local Nextcloud folder and as a Plex server for media files on my NAS. You could just plug a cheap USB HDD into one and have it serve files off of that. I think an 8th gen can handle 3-4 4K transcodes iirc.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

tuyop posted:

The cost-effective solution would probably be to buy a used 6-8th gen i5 workstation from an office liquidator. I just grabbed one of those for $400 Canadian and it’ll be doing server duty for a local Nextcloud folder and as a Plex server for media files on my NAS. You could just plug a cheap USB HDD into one and have it serve files off of that. I think an 8th gen can handle 3-4 4K transcodes iirc.

I'm also in Canada, and this sounds like an excellent idea - which liquidator did you grab one from?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

evobatman posted:

After my 2017 Shield TV updated to Shield Experience 9.0.0/Android TV 11, VLC and MX player whic are my preferred players will no longer show files when browsing my USB drives, only folders. Kodi and X-plore will show and play them. Anyone come across something similar?

Nvidia has a hotfix out but you need to sign up for it here. I installed it this morning and it seems to have fixed my issues and turned my shield back into the boring device I love.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had to force reboot the shield after update because it wouldn't read the USB drive and I couldn't connect to my Nas. Working fine now

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TrueChaos posted:

I'm also in Canada, and this sounds like an excellent idea - which liquidator did you grab one from?

I spent awhile looking around and this eBay seller had a really good price so I could grab another 12tb drive to shuck for my budget.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HP-ProDesk-...1-127632-2357-0

Locally on FB Marketplace there are a couple of liquidators in the suburbs and they had a good deal on an ultrasharp monitor (for a different project) but they wanted more than twice the price for the same workstation. Your local classifieds might be more competitive.

Here are some search terms and listings that I found were the most appropriate. I was very frustrated with the model numbers and generation stuff between Dell/HP/Lenovo/Intel.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 15, 2022

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Horn posted:

Nvidia has a hotfix out but you need to sign up for it here. I installed it this morning and it seems to have fixed my issues and turned my shield back into the boring device I love.

Uninstalling and reinstalling VLC and MX Player worked too. I'll wait for an official patch, but seriously wtf.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just bought a new Synology unit and was thinking I was having tons of problems with it but it turns out it was just this lovely NVidia Shield update (literally everything feels laggy, Hulu, Netflix everything seems to just take forever)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is it a big deal if I plug my roku premiere into a USB port on the TV that loses power when you turn off the TV? I thought no but it seemed to lose my Disney login.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The issue with the Shield update isn't with Plex at all. I reboot and I'm fine, but after a while it says my USB drive is safely ejected and wont connect to my NAS. Its storage related.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm looking at getting a NUC to plug into my receiver that has HDMI 2.1. Can I use an i7 Frost Canyon with Thunderbolt 3 and a HDMI adaptor to pass through 4k/120hz?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

V for Vegas posted:

I'm looking at getting a NUC to plug into my receiver that has HDMI 2.1. Can I use an i7 Frost Canyon with Thunderbolt 3 and a HDMI adaptor to pass through 4k/120hz?
An active adapter converting DisplayPort 1.3 or greater to HDMI 2.1 or greater should be able to handle 4K120.

A Frost Canyon NUC on the other hand maxes out at DisplayPort 1.2 which only has 17.26Gbit/sec of bandwidth, well short of the 24Gbit/sec required for even basic SDR 4K120.

I think there's technically a Thunderbolt-native display interface that could use the entire 40Gbit/sec but I don't think that's ever been used outside of Apple monitors, most other adapters use DisplayPort tunneling over Thunderbolt which is also limited to DP1.2.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks. I've upgraded to a Tiger Canyon instead.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I'm still using an old Intel Atom/nVidia Ion era box for streaming on my main TV. I think I am just about ready to put it out of its misery. I also havean RPi3 on my bedroom TV, but that's not feeling quite as long in the tooth.

Currently, I can only really use them as Kodi endpoints, but over the last decade or so that's become a bit limiting. My expanded use case would ideally involve something that can do the following:
  • Chromecast from phone
  • Kodi (library streamed off my server via Emby)
  • Steam Link to my PC
The plethora of streaming services would be nice-to-have, too.

From what I can tell, the Fire Stick Max and the CCwGTV seem to be both good for this. I am not quite sure how the Fire cube fits in the picture htese days, except that it acts as an Alexa speaker too? The performance benefit it once had seems to be completely gone with the latest Fire Stick Max being just as performant, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Additionally, I am wondering whether a Shield would offer any tangible benefit over those two with respect to the above? I highly doubt I'll bother installing games locally, so I don't think I need much more grunt on the endpoint but I guess I'm wondering if Steam Link would challenge the smaller devices a bit too much? I also don't plan to use it as my NAS, since I run a server with FreeBSD and ZFS and all that jazz because I'm a turbonerd. I also don't really care for the voice control of either, because I'm sure both Amazon and Google suck up more than enough of my data already.

I've tried searching around a bit on the net and on youtube for some current examples of the above, and people seem to be doing it all on those devices (android sideloading in steam link and kodi), however I've not found any that really methodically compare the two/three/four devices for those specific categories. I also don't know what edge cases I may run into, for example with Kodi plug-ins? I guess if I'm running it on a RPi, should I expect it to run on a Fire or CC implementation of Kodi?

Lastly, are there any significant pros/cons of any of the devices that may be wortth noting, or are the CC and Fire stick both essentailly interchangable for those use cases?

The landscape for this poo poo has all changed so much since I last really looked into it. Maybe I'm reading too much into the thread title, but I figured it was all about these sort of integrated devices these days rather than getting a NUC and loading it up with Linux or something.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 26, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Shield has been the gold standard for years but I'm loath to recommend it today. Now, most of my problems go back to using it as my Plex server and not just as a client, I think that bogs it down a bit. But I tried to emulate PS2 the other day and it couldn't even do that (mind you I only tried one emulator thats in a very early state, and it did run but too poorly to play). I just find it lags too much overall, and thats with a permanent USB drive added to lighten the storage load on the paltry 16gb onboard. It also only has 2gb of RAM. I dont think you'll find anything Android based that isn't a bit janky from time to time, thats just the nature of it. It was the same with my Sony TV.

The advantage with android based things is casting, which is more limited on other platforms (ie: you can only cast to apps that have companion apps on that platform). I cast sports a lot and its just a no go outside of the Shield. Youtube might be enough for some people though.

On the Shield again, whats steam link like? Using the Shield to stream from my desktop just isn't good enough, its why I just ordered a long, fibre optic HDMI cable to run from my office to the living room. Everything wired, theres still that bit of lag that I just cant take.

Also curious why some are using Kodi instead of Plex. I guess I'm just scarred with Kodi from being a box reseller for a couple of years. (I only did it to combat and undercut the local rogues that were really ripping people off at it)

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I don't know if you're in the market for a new TV, but once I bought the new LG OLED I removed the shield from my setup entirely as it runs Plex natively.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Strong anti-recommend on Shield as a Plex server, but as a pure client box I still think it's top notch as long as you're not trying anything too weird (I'd say PS2 emulation qualifies as that, rad as that is).

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

codo27 posted:

The advantage with android based things is casting, which is more limited on other platforms (ie: you can only cast to apps that have companion apps on that platform). I cast sports a lot and its just a no go outside of the Shield. Youtube might be enough for some people though.

On the Shield again, whats steam link like? Using the Shield to stream from my desktop just isn't good enough, its why I just ordered a long, fibre optic HDMI cable to run from my office to the living room. Everything wired, theres still that bit of lag that I just cant take.

Also curious why some are using Kodi instead of Plex. I guess I'm just scarred with Kodi from being a box reseller for a couple of years. (I only did it to combat and undercut the local rogues that were really ripping people off at it)

Yeh, Android casting is particularly attractive, and all of those devices I listed use Android underneath so it's all available. I guess I'm just wondering whether the CCwGTV or the Fire Stick 4k Max are sufficient enough vs. the Shield. Both sticks are approximately 1.9GHz quad core A55 w/ 2GB RAM and a SoC GPU. The Fire Cube and especially the Shield probably have a bit more power, but unless I'm trying to do local PS2 emulation or the like I don't really see the need for it.

I would have expected the Shield to devour steam link just fine since it's streaming video, but jitter and bandwidth on your network to it may be the weak point (especially if it's wireless).

Regarding why I use Kodi, I've used it since it was XBMC, before Plex even existed, and have just stuck with it out of habit. I went from having a local library shared via UPnP to a MySQL library shared to other devices to Emby running the library on my server, so I've gradually migrated to a Plex-esque setup without actually using Plex.

Slash posted:

I don't know if you're in the market for a new TV, but once I bought the new LG OLED I removed the shield from my setup entirely as it runs Plex natively.
Not really in the market for a new TV, as I'll be moving overseas in about 6 months. This also makes the stick/chromecast attractive vs. the Shield Pro, due to form factor, but the cylinder Shield would work much the same (albeit for a price premium).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Do we still have a hackintosh thread anywhere?

edit: found it way down. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747066&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=30

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 27, 2022

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Not sure if this question should go here or in the “quick audio questions” but I’ll try here first.

I want a device that I can stream music (Spotify) to but is also headless and has a direct audio out line. I’ve got a bunch of old hi-fi stereos with good components and speakers, and I just want to be able to purchase something that can put on a WiFi network so I can stream to it, and it can plug into the stereo via an aux 3.5 Jack or via twin RCA or optical, I don’t really care. The Google Home Mini will almost do what I want, but doesn’t have an output line, and also has extra functionality I don’t need. I’m hoping there’s a device out there that does what I need and is quite cheap so I can buy a bunch of them to package up with my stereos for repurposing…

Any ideas?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Will a regular Bluetooth receiver work, or does it have to use Spotify connect?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Forum Joe posted:

Not sure if this question should go here or in the “quick audio questions” but I’ll try here first.

I want a device that I can stream music (Spotify) to but is also headless and has a direct audio out line. I’ve got a bunch of old hi-fi stereos with good components and speakers, and I just want to be able to purchase something that can put on a WiFi network so I can stream to it, and it can plug into the stereo via an aux 3.5 Jack or via twin RCA or optical, I don’t really care. The Google Home Mini will almost do what I want, but doesn’t have an output line, and also has extra functionality I don’t need. I’m hoping there’s a device out there that does what I need and is quite cheap so I can buy a bunch of them to package up with my stereos for repurposing…

Any ideas?

Quick search for “chrome cast audio replacement” turned up this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32927710056.html
Apparently you can also use a raspberry pi and this https://sound.balenalabs.io/ if you’re a diy person

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

Apparently you can also use a raspberry pi and this https://sound.balenalabs.io/ if you’re a diy person

Going to second a raspberry pi. I use moode audio. If you have an old phone or tablet, you can use spotify connect and stream from a different device.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Inept posted:

Will a regular Bluetooth receiver work, or does it have to use Spotify connect?

Oh yeah, any old Bluetooth device would be good.

Also, thanks to everyone who suggested a crappy old phone or tablet… that’s actually a good idea, I think I’ve got one or two of them around. I’d still like to try to find an off-shelf modern device that would do it too.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Got the CCwGTV in the end because it meant not driving as far and everything is working beautifully except that I have an ancient-as-gently caress setup and the CCwGTV remote cannot blast 2 IR commands for the power button. So whilst I can have my old AV receiver volume controlled by it, I have to pick either it or the TV itself as being bound to the power button.

This is the only issue I have with it, otherwise it works just about perfectly for what I wanted. Kodi installed fine from the Play store and I had no issues setting up Emby for Kodi on it. Moonlight streams fine too, with about 20-25ms latency on my old wifi.

I might just migrate the CC to my bedroom TV and get a fire stick for the lounge room, since apparently it can do 2 IR commands on a button. Hopefully the rest of it works just as well too.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Does the TV not support HDMI-CEC for power? I think the chromecast can send commands that way to wake the TV up?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Is there a straightforward way to import the watchlist/watch history from Kodi to Plex that doesn't involve Trakt? I used Trakt with PlexTraktSync (to avoid paying for the privilege via Trakt and Plex), but it doesn't work on like half the things I have. If there were just a tool that took whatever file Kodi uses and maps it to whatever file Plex uses, that'd be terrific. It doesn't have to be a constant sync thing, the goal it to go to Plex from Kodi if I can.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Slash posted:

Does the TV not support HDMI-CEC for power? I think the chromecast can send commands that way to wake the TV up?

Even if it did, it'd still only wake up the TV, not turn it off, and then the power button would only control that. It's an old plasma (LG 50PQ60D) and the AV receiver is even older (think s video and composite era).
I tried remapping the source button (which I never use) to sleep but it's designed for android phones which only sleep the display, not power off the screen. If I could get that to work and CEC can control power, then source can functionally turn it on and off, but I haven't cracked that nut yet.

e: I'd just revamp my entire setup except I'm planning to move overseas in 6 months so it's not worth sinking tthat much money in to. This is good enough that it'll last me til then.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 4, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nam Taf posted:

Even if it did, it'd still only wake up the TV, not turn it off, and then the power button would only control that. It's an old plasma (LG 50PQ60D) and the AV receiver is even older (think s video and composite era).
I tried remapping the source button (which I never use) to sleep but it's designed for android phones which only sleep the display, not power off the screen. If I could get that to work and CEC can control power, then source can functionally turn it on and off, but I haven't cracked that nut yet.

CEC can control power but LG TVs don't listen to the signal to turn off. Both my ancient 52LG60 and my newish CX will turn on via CEC just fine, I can cast something to my Chromecast and the TV will turn on, but neither one will power off.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

wolrah posted:

CEC can control power but LG TVs don't listen to the signal to turn off. Both my ancient 52LG60 and my newish CX will turn on via CEC just fine, I can cast something to my Chromecast and the TV will turn on, but neither one will power off.

My 2017 won't anymore (it did for a very long time??), but I think my 2020 does? Or maybe my Xbox One was actually using the IR blaster.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

My 2017 won't anymore (it did for a very long time??), but I think my 2020 does? Or maybe my Xbox One was actually using the IR blaster.

You Xbone didn't use CEC, it was using IR.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

2 issues I'm trying to get to the bottom of. Plex works fine on every player except my Roku TV, which stalls at 33% every time. And on the Shield, while it works, there's AV sync issues on virtually every application it seems.

As time goes on I'm drawing closer and closer to actually buying a HTPC

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Hey thread, I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask but since it's the HTPC thread I'm hoping someone here will know what's going on.

I have a Sony Bravia (I don't have the exact model to hand but it's a 2017 4k smart TV) with a 2019 Nvida Shield, I also have a Sonos playbase connected via optical, and a Sonos Sub and two Sonos 1s for surround if that makes a difference.

The issue I'm having is when streaming from most services, the output is kind of juddery and looks like it's going into slow motion for a few seconds. Often the sound will cut out and the input info bar will appear along the top of the screen with the HDMI channel, sound format etc, sometimes the screen will black out for a split second too.

I've ruled out a faulty HDMI cable, I think it's because of frame rate matching https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/jh8y0h/micro_stuttering_when_watching_netflix/ as I don't have any problems on Plex which automatically matches frame rate. Enabling the shield's "automatically match frame rate" improves the situation but doesn't fix it.

This issue has always been present but it was occasional enough to not be on my radar, but over the last month or so it's got to the point where Netflix in particular is nearly unwatchable.

I know if it is a frame matching issue my options are limited but I figure since it used to be better something must have changed. Does anyone have any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
This is probably not the right thread but here goes: I've got a ShieldTV running Kodi, connected to a gigabit network where my Synology NAS lives. I can play massive 4K/HDR stuff off the server with no problems.

On the server is a share with about 1000 folders in it, each with one or two video files in it. They aren't movies or tv shows (it's mostly horse videos lol) so using the video library won't work, I just added the folder as a source in Kodi and browse to it directly. The problem is that it's extremely slow when backing out of a folder to the main list or when deleting a folder. Each takes about 5-15 seconds. I've tried connecting via NFS and SMB and didn't see much of a difference, so I'm assuming Kodi is the problem. Anyone have advice?

I'm also open to getting a whole other video player on the shield I guess?